Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 981s - first impressions

bluelines:
    SuzyF:
    So 1100 EUR for a fresh looking butt may be a nice alternative Smiley

Can't argue with that! Smiley

Smiley 

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basaltblack metallic
    2012 Audi SQ5 TDI | Lavagrey metallic

I guess, it is difficult to come to a decision - IMHO, the light blue of your car would actually look better with the ones on the right - on the other hand, you have already very much "blackened" (headlights, etc.) your car, which gives not much room for a further colour option...

d997h:

I guess, it is difficult to come to a decision - IMHO, the light blue of your car would actually look better with the ones on the right - on the other hand, you have already very much "blackened" (headlights, etc.) your car, which gives not much room for a further colour option...

Exactly! This was my thinking too. Both designs work with Riviera Blue, but I want to see the "tinted" ones in real life. Could look great, could look Tunertreff.

--

2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

RC:

Maybe this direct comparison helps? yes

vergleich.jpg

I don't know… Starting to look like MB taillights; not fond of those. 

bluelines:
    d997h:

Exactly! This was my thinking too. Both designs work with Riviera Blue, but I want to see the "tinted" ones in real life. Could look great, could look Tunertreff.

Ordering them on a new car is under 500 EUR, retrofit is over 1100 EUR. Maybe you should order them and if you don't like them, I am pretty sure that you are going to find someone who wants them at least the same money you paid for them when you ordered the car. Just saying... 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

Ordering them on a new car is under 500 EUR, retrofit is over 1100 EUR. Maybe you should order them and if you don't like them, I am pretty sure that you are going to find someone who wants them at least the same money you paid for them when you ordered the car. Just saying... 

Yes, better now than from Tequipment. If you happen to see them "live" could you be so kind to snap a photo from the side.

--

2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells

bluelines:
    RC:

Yes, better now than from Tequipment. If you happen to see them "live" could you be so kind to snap a photo from the side.

I plan to order them for my car, so you may be lucky sometimes next month. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    bluelines:
    RC:

I plan to order them for my car, so you may be lucky sometimes next month. Smiley

Smiley

--

Previous

RC:

Haven't you seen the photo I posted? They don't even look close to cheap tuner lights, trust me.

Here they are again:

1387803513464image.jpg

IMO they look fantastic, I would spec them an a heartbeat. 

I lost this discussion,completely.

so,congrats RC!!

you are really crazyindecision

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Super Darius:

so,congrats RC!!

I take it as a compliment. Smiley

I miss the Cayenne, don't get me wrong, the Cayenne GTS was fantastic but it just didn't make sense, it was a good opportunity (Boxsters don't sell well in winter time and dealer wanted the Cayenne) and I finally don't have to listen to my wife's "why don't we have a Cab anymore?" whining in spring and summer time again. Smiley Smiley She seems to love the Boxster, she takes it even now whenever she can, so this is a good sign. Smiley

--

RC:

vergleich.jpg

What a difference, go for it, it looks much more up-market than the ones you have right now, great mod. As to the wheels I wouldn´t touch a thing, but I never liked mate or any kind of black wheels, so!

J.Seven

RC:

vergleich.jpg

The one on the left is the choice. No room for discussion.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:
    Super Darius:

so,congrats RC!!

I take it as a compliment. Smiley

Yeah,sure is a compliment...really i can't follow you on cars change,and i think to be "fast"Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Drove the Boxster S yesterday with an open top for half an hour (almost 12°C and sunshine). The sport exhaust doesn't sound as loud and "higher pitch" in tone as on the 991 Carrera S Cab I drove last summer but that exhaust "firing" is coming a bit too strong at times. I wish it was the other way around. Car has already 10000 km, so I doubt it is going to change anymore. Also, the car would be perfect if it had let's say 30-40 hp more. I miss a little bit of power in the upper rev range and I think 30-40 hp more would be perfect.

Traction is quite crappy with Sport mode on and the winter tires, I just hope it gets better with summer tires. Should have testdriven the car before getting it, I testdrove a PTV equipped Boxster S last spring and the car had plenty of traction. Couldn't imagine that dealer would order a Boxster S with 20 mm chassis, Sport Chrono, PSE and...no PTV. Bummer. I guess I now found the reason why he made that good offer.

Don't worry, guys...I'm actually a little bit happy that traction isn't perfect. It keeps me trying harder and experience a different drive feel than in my 991 Turbo S. Yes, PTV would have been welcomed but now that I don't have it, I can't change it. My wife loves the car as it is (she warmed up to it when the top was open ), so everything is fine. I just wish I would have know about the lack of PTV earlier, maybe I would have squeezed some more % from my dealer. angry Now I have to stop, he may read this. indecision

So PTV is a must have option on this car, don't forget that.

Fuel consumption is a little bit disappointing too, 15 liters / 100 km on average (city driving) is quite a lot for such a small car. Still less than my Cayenne GTS but I actually had hoped for something around 12 liters.

The BOSE sound is really OK for the Boxster S, it sounds a bit thin when the top is open but still OK. Better than in my 991 Turbo S (also BOSE, regret not having ordered Burmester).

Overall, the Boxster S is fun, I miss a little bit of power in the upper rev range, torque isn't really important because I actually enjoy revving this nice sounding engine higher than usual. The 20 mm chassis certainly adds to the fun but be careful if you live in an area with very bad streets and you wear a denture. broken heart The electric top opens and closes very fast (I guess around 9-10 seconds) and this is really fun, especially when you drive (up to 60 kph on the speedo).

Can't wait for spring (my wife says the same) because this really is a nice weather car. I am curious how it will handle in snow, we usually get a lot of that white stuff around end of January/February, so the worst isn't over yet. Thanks god I still have the Mini Countryman AWD.

--

Thanks for the review. Good to hear all the positives! Porsche made a real nice job with the 981.

Your experience with the traction I recognize from my old 987 (pre-LSD model). Out of a corner, bit slippery and bit hard on the gas... quickly tail happy. I guess what you miss is the LSD and not the PTV as such. IMHO the LSD should be standard on such a car.

--

Previous

Mine has PTV and in slightly damp conditions, the car can be still pretty tailhappy. In my experience the 981 chassis is slightly less forgiving than the 991 chassis. I quite like that to be honest. It's more of a fun car, where the 991 feels more mature. On dry roads, the car has plenty of grip and traction IMO. 

One thing I noticed when I drove a PDK equipped Boxster S, is that it feels like it has 30-40hp more than my manual equipped car, but that is just an imagination I guess. The 6-speed manual is a very good transmission (better than the 7-speed in the 991 IMO), but the PDK gives just that little extra rush. However, I agree that the car in general could use a bit more power, both in the lower as the upper range for my taste.

Another complain I have is that the brakepedal is too high compared to the throttle if you want to heel and toe... That said, for normal driving you don't really need to heel and toe.

In the end I think the Boxster is a very, very nice car. Not better or worse than the 991, it's just different. It's by far the nicest roadster money can buy IMO... (But I may be biased indecision)

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basaltblack metallic
    2012 Audi SQ5 TDI | Lavagrey metallic

bluelines:

Thanks for the review. Good to hear all the positives! Porsche made a real nice job with the 981.

Your experience with the traction I recognize from my old 987 (pre-LSD model). Out of a corner, bit slippery and bit hard on the gas... quickly tail happy. I guess what you miss is the LSD and not the PTV as such. IMHO the LSD should be standard on such a car.

Yes, of course but since it is part of PTV... Smiley I also agree that LSD should be a standard option on the Boxster S. The car is pretty tail happy, as Suzy put it and I'm not sure everyone actually likes this setup. Coming from the 911, it is kind of annoying but of course also different (which is the reason why I actually like it). 

The Boxster S is really a nice car but at the power limit I can enjoy. This is why I mentioned that 30-40 hp more wouldn't hurt, especially in the upper rev range, there is a power gap I would like to see filled. Like I said, I do not care too much about the lack of low end torque since I like to rev this engine high.

I get it, Porsche wants to keep a performance gap between the Boxster S and the Carrera but would it have hurt Carrera sales if they would have given the Boxster S let's say 25 horses more in the upper rev range? I guess this is what they left for the facelift. Smiley Dammit. Smiley

--

RC:
    bluelines:

Yes, of course but since it is part of PTV... Smiley

What is the difference between the mechanical LSD on the 997 and the LSD incorporated int the PTV package? Are the lock % infinite on the new system instead of fixed, one for acceleration and one for the overrun?

--

"Form follows function"

On cars with PTV the torque vectoring works in conjunction with a mechanical limited-slip differential (22% under traction, 27% on overrun).

On cars with PTV Plus the limited-slip differential is controlled electronically and the torque distribution is infinitely variable.  

--

Previous

bluelines:

On cars with PTV the torque vectoring works in conjunction with a mechanical limited-slip differential (22% under traction, 27% on overrun).

On cars with PTV Plus the limited-slip differential is controlled electronically and the torque distribution is infinitely variable.  

Thanks for the information!

--

"Form follows function"

RC:
    bluelines:

Yes, but... you can easily retrofit an LSD without the need for the full PTV package. That is how it was done in the good old 987 days Smiley

An aftermarket LSD does not cost much more than those tinted rear lights from Tequipment, but will for sure give you a lot more back in driving pleasure than a different coloured glass. Just saying. Smiley

--

Previous

reginos:

Thanks for the information!

You are welcome! Smiley

--

Previous

bluelines:
    RC:
    bluelines:

Yes, but... you can easily retrofit an LSD without the need for the full PTV package. That is how it was done in the good old 987 days Smiley

An aftermarket LSD does not cost much more than those tinted rear lights from Tequipment, but will for sure give you a lot more back in driving pleasure than a different coloured glass. Just saying. Smiley

Since the car has been leased, I would violate the lease contract and furthermore, I could kiss the warranty good-bye. Not really worth it. A retrofit with original parts may not be possible (haven't checked yet, will do when I have time) because of the wiring/software.

--

RC:

Yes, I love the Carrera Classic rims but they are expensive and my dealer wasn't ready to exchange them with Classic rims. Not that I should complaint, otherwise they were really generous.

0241809482002.jpg

This is how my car looks with summer wheels (Carrera S rims painted in platinum satin).

Just perfect SmileySmiley

Enjoy her in good health Christian. Very nice car. Smiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Thank you, Onur but my wife kind of stole it from me. Now I have to drive her X3. 

--

SuzyF:
    RC:

Yes, I love the Carrera Classic rims but they are expensive and my dealer wasn't ready to exchange them with Classic rims. Not that I should complaint, otherwise they were really generous.

0241809482002.jpg

This is how my car looks with summer wheels (Carrera S rims painted in platinum satin).

It's only 10mm differrence with the PASM, but it is clearly visible that yours is lower... Never knew 10mm was that visible!  I also like those Carrera S wheels BTW, they look good on the car.

Suzy,

10mm lowering makes huge difference on stance of the car. I had competition pack on my ex-E92 M3 which was 10mm lower than non-competition pack cars and somehow my car looked different in much better way as my 458 did when I lowered the car.

It is maybe a small margin but the whole car sits that much lower.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

SuzyF:

Another complain I have is that the brakepedal is too high compared to the throttle if you want to heel and toe... That said, for normal driving you don't really need to heel and toe.

Suzy - I have found this problem in several cars and the best cure is an aftermarket throttle pedal (either total replacement or one that mounts over the existing pedal) to raise its height.  Some are adjustable for fine tuning...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

RC:

Thank you, Onur but my wife kind of stole it from me. Now I have to drive her X3. 

That should be the imminent result, don't you think Smiley

I guess you will be happier driving the diesel Bimmer to the work. Extra diesel torque of the twin turbo BMW 3.0 liter diesel engine will just make the commute more fun. Smiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

pride355:
    RC:

That should be the imminent result, don't you think Smiley

I guess you will be happier driving the diesel Bimmer to the work. Extra diesel torque of the twin turbo BMW 3.0 liter diesel engine will just make the commute more fun. Smiley

Actually not. I love the sound of the Boxster S and of course the steering feel and when spring and summer come, driving the X3 instead will be a pain in the a... Luckily, she has the kids most of the time, so she needs the Bimmer. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775984 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441048 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262398 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260580 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84974 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880081 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815080 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM