Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 981s - first impressions

J.Seven:

Your Boxster really looks like a mini CGT, love the color and wheels, nice choice and congrats Smiley

J.Seven

Thank you. I fell in love with this car when I saw it at the dealer for the very first time. I miss the Cayenne GTS a little bit, of course but as soon as the weather permits driving with an open top, the Cayenne thoughts will be gone for good. I admire those who can afford to have 10, 20 or more cars in the garage, for a car nut like me, this is my wildest fantasy. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

The 20 mm chassis is stiff like hell.

I wonder much 19" wheels would improve the ride by

sfo:
    RC:

The 20 mm chassis is stiff like hell.

I wonder much 19" wheels would improve the ride by

Right now I have 19'' wheels with winter tires and I'm pretty sure that the winter tires provide less comfort too. It should be better with the 20'' summer tires but to be honest: The comfort of this car is at the limit of what most people would accept. Unless they want a track car. Smiley Keep in mind that this is valid for the 20mm chassis only. PASM is quite nice.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

my 981S with no PASM on 19" wheels was absolutely fine, with a beautiful ride.

sfo:

my 981S with no PASM on 19" wheels was absolutely fine, with a beautiful ride.

So your car had the 20mm chassis? Smiley PASM allows switching to a sportier mode, this is why I mentioned it. Smiley

--

You have the choice of a standard chassis, PASM chassis (10mm lowered) or Sport chassis (non-PASM and 20mm lowered)

The ride with PASM and 20" is good. Nit as comfortable as a 991 with PASM, but still just good enough to call it comfortable (for a sportscar). I don't think that there's much difference between 19" and 20", at least not with PASM. Once had a loaner base Boxster with PASM and 19" and didn't notice any difference in ride-quality compared ro my own Boxster.

--

Suzy

SuzyF:

You have the choice of a standard chassis, PASM chassis (10mm lowered) or Sport chassis (non-PASM and 20mm lowered)

The ride with PASM and 20" is good. Nit as comfortable as a 991 with PASM, but still just good enough to call it comfortable (for a sportscar). I don't think that there's much difference between 19" and 20", at least not with PASM. Once had a loaner base Boxster with PASM and 19" and didn't notice any difference in ride-quality compared ro my own Boxster.

I know that there is a standard chassis but I was always talking about the 20mm sport chassis without PASM. Smiley

Comfort is just fine when the road is OK but if the road gets bad, oh boy...luckily I don't have false teeth. Smiley

--

RC - Surely this must be part of a GRAND plan to hand the Boxter over to the wife and trade her X3 for a Cayenne Turbo S. Nice work.

Seriously, the Boxter S is a beautiful design - one of Porsche's best IMO - a mini CGT with even more flare. 

Enjoy

RC, I was surprised months ago that you want the -20mm for a "wife" car.

Yes it looks very good. But on the long run it is no fun to drive as daily driver or as wife's fun car.

It is really stiff and more for the racetrack than for the street.

PASM -10mm is very good, sporty and comfortable.

In my view in almost every case the way to go.

mp:

RC - Surely this must be part of a GRAND plan to hand the Boxter over to the wife and trade her X3 for a Cayenne Turbo S. Nice work.

Seriously, the Boxter S is a beautiful design - one of Porsche's best IMO - a mini CGT with even more flare. 

Enjoy

You got me. Smiley

No, seriously...it was a pretty spontaneous decision based on the fact that 99% of the time, I was driving in my Cayenne GTS alone back and forth to work and my wife at the same time always made complaints about not having a cab anymore. I actually went to the dealership to order a Macan Turbo but then, I saw that beautiful (and low) Boxster S sitting at my dealer and surprise, surprise, it was actually my sales person's daily driver. I never wanted a Boxster but with all the right options (PDK, Sport Chrono, PSE, 20 mm chassis and a less flashy color), it was just the right car at the right moment and I took it. The fact that the Macan Turbo lease offer was pretty bad may have played a pretty significant role too and of course the fact that my wife promised to consider getting a Macan after her X3 lease runs out.

Simple, isn't it?! SmileySmiley

Oh and before there is even more confusion: The Boxster S is actually my daily driver (I can handle it in snow too), my wife only gets to drive this car from time to time when the weather is nice and she wants to drive a cab.

--

Congrats on your new 'S' :)

I am a year in now and still enjoying  mine.  Coming from summers onto winter PA4's the reduction in grip was dramatic and the rear of the car is far more mobile. The diff PTV and gearbox mounts do seem to make a difference but even so it can be bit of  a handful if  you are hurrying mainly due to the lack of feel near the limit at the front..I am happy with the spec  and love to drive it  especially roof down but the itch for an Elfer  has not gone away!

Having said that it could also handle more power and  a touch stiffer springs  but  it's  nice car and  with the spec I ordered  I maintain it's the price performance value pick of the range.  It's iinterestiing to read comments on the -20mm so probably my PASM was  a good choice  especially for back roads! 

RC:
     I admire those who can afford to have 10, 20 or more cars in the garage, for a car nut like me, this is my wildest fantasy. Smiley

Smiley

J.Seven

RC:

Yes, I love the Carrera Classic rims but they are expensive and my dealer wasn't ready to exchange them with Classic rims. Not that I should complaint, otherwise they were really generous.

0241809482002.jpg

This is how my car looks with summer wheels (Carrera S rims painted in platinum satin).

Platinum satin, that's the colour of my 918 wheels :)

--

Congrats RC, what a beauty. kiss

RC,

now I understand give back the Chayenne GTS for the Boxster S. So you driving it.

So the -20mm should be ok. I think as your wife car, there would be complains....

Be may you can retrofit the LSD, more important than the torque vectoring.

Beautiful! Congratualtions, RC. Makes me want to trade in my RS-60...

I suppose it is always possible to retrofit the standard springs and dampers, if the -20mm chassis turns out to be too stiff in the long run. Retrofitting PASM may be a challenge.

KMM:

Beautiful! Congratualtions, RC. Makes me want to trade in my RS-60...

I suppose it is always possible to retrofit the standard springs and dampers, if the -20mm chassis turns out to be too stiff in the long run. Retrofitting PASM may be a challenge.

I like the 20 mm chassis a lot, I wouldn't change a thing and since this is my car, my wife is going to enjoy it in the current state (and apparently she does, she already took the car for a ride a couple of times).

Only problem I have: I am PDCC spoiled (991 Turbo S and former Cayenne GTS). The 991 Turbo S feels more like a go-kart than the Boxster S, which actually says a lot about the Turbo S but especially about PDCC. Despite the 20 mm chassis, the Boxster shows a little bit of body roll (which of course is normal but it feels weird compared to PDCC). I have to adapt because I always get the feeling that I'm too fast in the Boxster when this happens but of course I'm not. Smiley

Two things I think I am going to change: Rims for winter tires are silver and I really hate how they look. I am going to have them painted in matte black as soon as I exchange them with the summer wheels. With that occasion, I may get Pirelli Sottozero Winter instead of the current Conti WinterContact, if available for the Boxster. Also, I plan to exchange the tail lights with the new blackened ones. They look way better (see photo, courtesy of someone in a different forum).

1387801022435image.jpg

--

Whilst I don't share your taste for black wheels, the smoked rear lights do look great on the grey car!

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

kiss

I want those taillights too! They look perfect. (Especially with Silver or Agate grey).  I'm just not sure if I want to retrofit them on my current Boxster or wait and order a new one when the GTS is introduced, this time with PDK and some other goodies I'd like to have.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basaltblack metallic
    2012 Audi SQ5 TDI | Lavagrey metallic

SuzyF:

kiss

I want those taillights too! They look perfect. (Especially with Silver or Agate grey).  I'm just not sure if I want to retrofit them on my current Boxster or wait and order a new one when the GTS is introduced, this time with PDK and some other goodies I'd like to have.

They cost aprox. 1100 EUR incl. install, not really cheap. Smiley Yes, the "black" tail lights look very good with agate grey. Smiley Was thinking about a bucket seat retrofit too but A. they cost around 7200 EUR plus install and B. retrofit isn't officially approved yet (so there is no kit, I would need to get each part separately which could raise retrofit cost even further).

--

I spec'ed those rear lights for my upcoming 981, but removed them when finalising the order with the dealership. I need to see them in real life. They could look awesome or they could look like cheap tuner lights on a Golf angry

ALT-YD-VG99-C.jpg

--

2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

Haven't you seen the photo I posted? They don't even look close to cheap tuner lights, trust me.

Here they are again:

1387803513464image.jpg

--

Yes, I saw your photo and the photos in the Exclusive catalogue when I ordered the car. So, looks all great on a two-dimensional photo, but I am missing a feeling for the depth. Is the middle part retraced far behind the outer glass? Or flush with the glass? How does this look from the side?

I need to see them in real life before I decide.

--

2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells

yeah, especially when you go for the orange stripes and decals, my friend...Smiley

d997h:

yeah, especially when you go for the orange stripes and decals, my friend...Smiley

Smiley

--

Previous

RC:
    SuzyF:

kiss

They cost aprox. 1100 EUR incl. install, not really cheap. Smiley Yes, the "black" tail lights look very good with agate grey. Smiley Was thinking about a bucket seat retrofit too but A. they cost around 7200 EUR plus install and B. retrofit isn't officially approved yet (so there is no kit, I would need to get each part separately which could raise retrofit cost even further).

--

1100 EUR is cheaper than a new Boxster hahaha Smiley 

I'm not sure if I want to keep this one or not. The manual is fun most of the time, but I miss a PDK on some occasions. When i drive a PDK or other dual clutch, I never miss a manual.... Smiley  OTOH,  I like how the car is now. The only things I would change, when ordering a new one are Burmester, PDK and those darkened taillights. (And maybe a different color... i hate washing cars! Smiley), but I can easily live without those options, since it's not a DD.

So 1100 EUR for a fresh looking butt may be a nice alternative Smiley

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basaltblack metallic
    2012 Audi SQ5 TDI | Lavagrey metallic

Different angle, different light conditions. Looks great!

I think tinted is slightly misleading as option name for XXR. Transparent seems more correct 

tinted.jpg

--

Previous

Maybe this direct comparison helps? yes

vergleich.jpg

--

RC:

Maybe this direct comparison helps? yes

Yes! This is exactly why I first ticked this option Smiley There is a photo of a 981 from Suncoast Porsche with the left light XXR and the right one standard red. The red looks flat and boring, but... I was very surprised how it then looked in real life. Very different and a lot better than on any photo. So I changed my mind.

Now I don't know what to do, when you start tempting me with these photos. I already wasted hours on that bloody spec and here we go again... Smiley

--

Previous

SuzyF:
    So 1100 EUR for a fresh looking butt may be a nice alternative Smiley

Can't argue with that! Smiley

--

Previous

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690825 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410079 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256159 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235379 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65734 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858753 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775040 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM