Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 Turbo S - Short Driving Report (owner)

for some one from the desert i never understand the need for winter tiers 

is it for all winter or only when it snow or rain ,,, whats the deal 

sulaiman:

Not sure where to start. We essentially have 2 seasons. One is summer - between +5C and +35C and another is winter - from -20C to +5C. All season tires are horrible all year round. They are not good for summer and quite bad in the winter. So if one wants here to drive all year round then the only option is to have two sets of wheels.

sulaiman:

The rubber of "normal" tyres does not give good grip at temperatures below 7°C, and the tread profiles don't work at all on snow or ice, so winter tyres have different rubber mixtures and deeper, more grippy tread profiles. Winter tyres are much better than summer tyres in winter conditions or even on dry or wet roads at low temperatures. 

--

fritz

Yeah, I don't normally pay much attention to rattles either, but it's drowning out the beautiful engine sound.  You must not have the problem, or you'd notice it right away.

RC:

The PDCC button is very confusing: It actually switches PASM modes from Normal to Sport and back. When the red lamp is on, the Sport mode is active. When it is off, the Normal mode is active. Same applies to corresponding PDCC on-road driving programs. I don't have a clue why Porsche didn't name the button PASM, pretty weird.

To summarize: By pressing the button, you actually switch PASM modes but at the same time PDCC driving program is switched too (but it is related to the PASM setting, you cannot switch is separately from PASM).

thanks.

initially, 991 PDDC equipped cars did not have a PDDC button.

is there a PASM button in addition to the PDDC button? if so, if PASM is in Sport, and PDDC light is off, what mode is PDDC in? Or is PDDC just on or off? But sounds like PDDC is always on ..

33MPG is very, very good.  Now let see more than few KM of distance covered.  I'm certain I could find a long downhill stretch in Austria and get excellent mileage over a short stretch...  just saying, even my old Turbo can get 50mpg going downhill at 65mph.  Let us see you take a long trip, at least 100km and see if the mileage hold up.  If you can get over 25mpg over 100km I will be impressed.    Not that I am complaining, I have been singing the praises of good mileage by insanely fast production 911s for years.

Dang I miss Austria,  - do you have to take such excellent pictures!  Thanks a million!

Leawood911:

33MPG is very, very good.  Now let see more than few KM of distance covered.  I'm certain I could find a long downhill stretch in Austria and get excellent mileage over a short stretch...  just saying, even my old Turbo can get 50mpg going downhill at 65mph.  Let us see you take a long trip, at least 100km and see if the mileage hold up.  If you can get over 25mpg over 100km I will be impressed.    Not that I am complaining, I have been singing the praises of good mileage by insanely fast production 911s for years.

Dang I miss Austria,  - do you have to take such excellent pictures!  Thanks a million!

Smiley I drove around 30 km at a constant speed of 105 kph (speedo) with an average fuel consumption of 7.6 liters / 100 km (almost 31 mpg). This is actually the "real" fuel consumption when setting the cruise control at around 65 mph. PDK is set to auto mode, no Sport or Sport Plus mode active. No downhill stretch or whatever, this is the real deal.

I am sorry I couldn't take more photos. My son hates taking photos (which is a shame because especially in Italy, we had some pretty amazing opportunities and he blew them, which made me pretty mad) and my daughter is not really into the whole car stuff, so she usually takes photos of "romantic" settings/whatever, which doesn't really help me much. Smiley Whenever we stop, I try to take photos and the one with the Castle Neuschwanstein was a real opportunity.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

fritz:
    sulaiman:

The rubber of "normal" tyres does not give good grip at temperatures below 7°C, and the tread profiles don't work at all on snow or ice, so winter tyres have different rubber mixtures and deeper, more grippy tread profiles. Winter tyres are much better than summer tyres in winter conditions or even on dry or wet roads at low temperatures. 

Judging by the weather conditions we had last weekend in Austria and Germany (close to the Alps), I can confirm that winter tires were very very necessary. They suck however at temperatures above 6-7°C but once the temperature drops below 5°C or better, lower, they are amazing and they even feel that way. Not a fan of Pirelli but lately, they nailed it. My PZero summer tires are very good and the Sottozero Winter seems to be quite good too. It seems I am becoming a Pirelli fan again.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
     It seems I am becoming a Pirelli fan again.

Just made a decision to go ahead with the Michelin Alpin 4 winter tires. Although these are the only available around I also looked into a number of Youtube videos comparing winter tires. Michelin and Pirelli seem to be leading here with Michelin marginally better. 

Now trying to work out the day when I can collect the car.

are you not going to mount you winter tires on another (alternate) set of rims?

RC:

Not a fan of Pirelli but lately, they nailed it. My PZero summer tires are very good and the Sottozero Winter seems to be quite good too. It seems I am becoming a Pirelli fan again.

I've put 4 P Zero N2 on my car and they are very good. Before I had Potenzas which I had found better than the original Michelin PS2.

The Pirellis give excellent grip especially at the front whilst the Potenzas were προνε το understeer. I've also driven in the wet (but not much standing water) and the tyres gripped very well. On Sunday at 6.00am (4-5 C temperature)  I did an uphill/δοςνηιλλ route up to but not beyond the point that there was σνος/ice on the road, and the PZeros achieved good temperature and excellent grip.

Smiley

Examples of our weather last week!

χιονια_αυτοκίνητο_στο_Τρόοδος.jpg

kypros.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

Overdraft:

At first I will mount it on existing rims instead of summer tires which came with the car. For the summer tires I will order new separate set of rims. Thats the plan.

rubaga:
    Overdraft:

At first I will mount it on existing rims instead of summer tires which came with the car. For the summer tires I will order new separate set of rims. Thats the plan.

Have you checked the offset of the summer tire rims and the winter tire rims? They have the same rim design but offset and even width could be different (I haven't checked yet but Porsche "loves" to do this stuff, so people do need two pairs of wheel sets).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    rubaga:
    Overdraft:

Have you checked the offset of the summer tire rims and the winter tire rims? They have the same rim design but offset and even width could be different (I haven't checked yet but Porsche "loves" to do this stuff, so people do need two pairs of wheel sets).

The Turbo has generally needed narrower wheels (at least at the rear) to allow for the fact that the winter tyres available for it are narrower than the lower profile summer tyres. 

--

fritz

fritz:

The Turbo has generally needed narrower wheels (at least at the rear) to allow for the fact that the winter tyres available for it are narrower than the lower profile summer tyres. 

This sounds of course more reasonable than my explanation and I guess it is completely true but would it kill Porsche to adapt rim offsets and width in a way that summer or winter tires can be used on the same rims? Smiley Just saying...especially taking in consideration the MSRP of the Turbo S winter wheel set. Ouch.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    fritz:

This sounds of course more reasonable than my explanation and I guess it is completely true but would it kill Porsche to adapt rim offsets and width in a way that summer or winter tires can be used on the same rims? Smiley Just saying...especially taking in consideration the MSRP of the Turbo S winter wheel set. Ouch.

Technically, it would be very easy to achieve. But how many Turbo drivers would really want to drive their cars around in summer on 295mm section width tyres just so that the could use a common wheel size in summer and winter? Smiley

Since swapping summer/winter tyres on the same rims twice a year is not to be recommended anyway, I don't see why this is an issue?   Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    RC:
    fritz:

Technically, it would be very easy to achieve. But how many Turbo drivers would really want to drive their cars around in summer on 295mm section width tyres just so that the could use a common wheel size in summer and winter? Smiley

Since swapping summer/winter tyres on the same rims twice a year is not to be recommended anyway, I don't see why this is an issue?   Smiley

Considering the price tag of the winter wheel set (MSRP 7600 EUR), I would actually take each time a new set of tires (summer and winter). Have you seen the prices at tirendo.de ? It would actually make more sense than getting a winter wheel set for a lease period of 36 months (like I do). Resale value of this winter wheel set is ridiculous if you try to find someone to buy it...if you are lucky.

--

reginos:
    RC:

Not a fan of Pirelli but lately, they nailed it. My PZero summer tires are very good and the Sottozero Winter seems to be quite good too. It seems I am becoming a Pirelli fan again.

I've put 4 P Zero N2 on my car and they are very good. Before I had Potenzas which I had found better than the original Michelin PS2.

The Pirellis give excellent grip especially at the front whilst the Potenzas were προνε το understeer. I've also driven in the wet (but not much standing water) and the tyres gripped very well. On Sunday at 6.00am (4-5 C temperature)  I did an uphill/δοςνηιλλ route up to but not beyond the point that there was σνος/ice on the road, and the PZeros achieved good temperature and excellent grip.

Smiley

kypros.jpg

Another point relating to the Bridgestone-Pirelli comparison, is that sidewall stiffness of the former is too hard for road irregularities (the car somewhat jumps) whilst this stiffness doesn't translate to sharper cornering. The Pirelli corners better and also rides better. The PS2 is in the middle somewhere.

I've never thought I would prefer an Italian engineering brand Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

kypros.jpg

We don't even have that much snow on our mountains now , and skiing season is about to start Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    reginos:

kypros.jpg

We don't even have that much snow on our mountains now , and skiing season is about to start Smiley

There was snow from low elevations. Usually we get snow near the highest peak which is at 2000 meters.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

The amazing engineering side of the 991 Turbo S (standard driving mode, speed control set at 105 kph). 

Not that it matters but it IS possible and I didn't try hard. 

1387045647896image.jpg

Yeah that's OK for 560ps but with  high quality tuning one can have more acceleration than the 918 200 to 300kph  and fuel efficiency Smiley

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

I guess you missed this one...and I was faster Smiley and in auto mode. Maybe I should try harder...in manual mode and in 7th gear. Wanna see a 5 in front? Smiley (maybe this weekend)

image.png-7.jpeg

--

RC:

Wanna see a 5 in front? Smiley (maybe this weekend)

--

Over 11km I doubt that is possible - 5.9 is 48mpg (imperial) angel

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

The empty rear deck is perfect. Keeps em guessing. A friend with a 930 Turbo saw mine and thought its was an exotic custom. Smiley

Wee willie:

The empty rear deck is perfect. Keeps em guessing. A friend with a 930 Turbo saw mine and thought its was an exotic custom. Smiley

Smiley   I think your post will have the same effect.  Smiley

--

fritz

RC:

I guess you missed this one...and I was faster Smiley and in auto mode. Maybe I should try harder...in manual mode and in 7th gear. Wanna see a 5 in front? Smiley (maybe this weekend)

image.png-7.jpeg

--

over 1 minute maybe set on a highway - I can beat this downhill from my place even with the RS Smiley

I can keep this fuel consumption forever and this wasn't downhill. Actually, I did...I drove that way for another 20 or 30 km but fuel consumption varied between 6.9 and 7.4 liters (couldn't take photos all the time).

--

Incredibly low consumption. Speed of tailwind?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Incredibly low consumption. Speed of tailwind?

Nope. This is really possible all the time. I tried however to get way below 7 liters and this is, unfortunately, impossible.

6.9 liters / 100 km are possible from time to time but thats it, I couldn't get it lower.

An average of 7.4 liters / 100 km is possible all the time if you put car in auto mode and activate the cruise control. Even for a longer period of time. When I do that, the fuel consumption alternates between 6.9 and 7.4 liters, sometimes up to 7.6 liters. Speed needs to be 105 kph at max., PDK auto mode, cruise control and no Sport modes.

--

I picked up my 991 Turbo S the other day. Did not get to drive it too much - about 50 km so far. The weather was really bad. Wet snow. 0 degrees C. Roads covered with showy water.  I drove to the dealer on my wife's MB G'wagen.

I was very surprised that Porsche handled better the road. I certainly felt more confident. The last few km to my house is hard pressed snow with ice. The grip on that surface was quite remarkable. I think the overall handling of the car as well as winter tires are very good.

I am very happy with the first experience in the car.

A few pictures.

1387819031213image.jpg

1387819031194image.jpg1387819031203image.jpg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688764 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408794 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255568 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234821 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65411 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857659 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773533 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM