Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 981s - first impressions

I saw a Russian's Bentley GT Cabrio at the Porsche service workshop, covered in a foil that looked like  crocodile skin.

How much lower can someone descend in bad taste?

I wish I had a camera on me.

--

"Form follows function"

J.Seven:

RC, you are always referring  the fact you don´t like to be flashy on your car choices due to your social environment which we all understand, but did you thought how much "look at me" the matte color will give to your TTS?  It will scream attention.

Not in the neighborhood I live in, different folk. Trust me. Smiley They will hate matte.

I don´t know about Germany but over here, having a mate colored TT regarding image is not that different than having a Nissan GTR or a Corvette for that matter, you see many Civic and Ibiza TDI with this foil stuff. There are many who also drop the foil only on the roof and bonnet which is horrible to look at!!. I know it´s a matter of taste but the only car I ever saw that looked terrific with matte black, was the Aventador.

I don't plan to use black matte foil, this looks now horrible since many younger people used matte black foil for their cars. I plan to use a matte white or matte grey, which looks great, especially you don't see this on cheaper cars because they cannot afford paying more for the foil than the whole car is worth. Smiley Matte black foil is easy to apply (you cannot really see the "mistakes") but white matte or grey matte foil requires a really good foil job, no amateur can actually do this right.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Gauss:
    RC:

Very nice color indeed but I wouldn't get a color to sample anymore because foil does the job quite nicely.

quite nicely, yes, but only if you wanted matte. Glossy vynil wraps exist and look fantastic, but they are not looking as shiny and reflective as actual paint. If you look at the photo below, you will see what I mean. It's glossy, but not truely reflective. You instantly notice that the car has been wrapped.

Of course, a matte vynil wrap doesn't have this issue and you can't really see a difference to a matte painted surface.

--

'10 Porsche 911 GT3 (Guards Red 997 MKII)

I don't like glossy foil and I don't plan on using it. Right now, I have matte white, matte grey or even matte light grey in mind, I still have to decide. With some luck, I may get a very impressive job (and a nice discount) since the car would be used for a flyer and/or advertisement, not sure yet.

The foil has another advantage: If someone scratches the car...well...with some luck, he is going to scratch off the foil only. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

reginos:

I saw a Russian's Bentley GT Cabrio at the Porsche service workshop, covered in a foil that looked like  crocodile skin.

Saw a 964 in army green (matte, foil), looked quite nice but not exactly elegant. 

--

RC:
    reginos:

Saw a 964 in army green (matte, foil), looked quite nice but not exactly elegant. 

It was similar to this but in a darker colour

bentley-croc-630.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

Great choice, buddy! I think this is a very appropriate colour for the car! Hope to see it in reality at some get-together at the N´ring.

Smiley

Many, many congrats itsme Smiley - schwarzgrau is a perfect colour for the 981: IMHO this colour looks much sportier than the regular greys and also should show the lines of the car better. Can't wait to see this beauty at the Ring where we could do a nice white & grey duet Smiley

I fully agree with your observations: I'd swap the 7th gear (in Sport Mode) for start/stop & sailing in a heartbeat.

I also can confirm the excellent fuel efficiency (in the city the tank lasts 100km more compared to our 987S MKI manual).

On a recent long distance trip on the Autobahn while rather pushing it (average speed on the 550 km was 140 km/h despite a lot of crowded sections and sections with speed limits) the care ate 12.2 l/100 km - very nice. Though on the track fuel consumption ended up in GT3 territory and even beyond.. Smiley The DFI engines obviously are very efficient at partial load but very thirsty at full throttle. Yet another similarity to the Diesel Engines just as with the black grime emitted from the exhaust pipe Smiley Luckily performance and sound (especially with the fantastic PSE Smiley) do wipe away any further dark thoughts about Rudolf Diesel Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 981S white/black/red, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Congrats on your new car. Cool. And a nice colour combo. In contrast to your comments I have to say though that my manual 981s is as thirsty as my C2S was and not much I seem to do changes that! On the other hand it doesn't feel much slower so I'm happy :) Perhaps PDK is responsible for your good results. (I'm around 15-16l/100km)

I have arround 10,5L/100km with the 981S and manual. My 997.1S was arround 12,5 (also manual).

I asked the factory once about why the Porsche DFI gasoline engines (MA1-series) have such heavy buildup on the exhaust tips? The answer is, surprisingly, emissions. To meet emissions on the cold start cycle, they inject raw fuel while the exhaust valve is open, so it burns en route to the catalytic converter, instead of all in the cylinder. That heats the cat up more quickly and thus complies better during a cold start emissions test. The build-up is from the not completely burned fuel used to pre-heat the cat.

Reckon it must be my lead foot :D

I suspect that on a long run it should improve a bit as the Odenwald roads near me encourage enthusiastic driving and the autobahn driving is mostly on unlimited parts.

On a separate note I met a quickly driven Carrera GT in Martini colours near Mannheim the other day on open pipes which I struggled to play with but sounded completely awesome with the roof down -he had his roof off too. With my sports exhaust on and nudging 8000 revs I couldn't hear my car over the CGT! :)

I have a new family member (left) in the garage. blush

981 S, 20 mm chassis, PDK, Sport Chrono, Sport Exhaust, Agate grey met. (Turbo S has same color, was dirty though in the photo)

Impressions (please keep in mind that my "other" Porsche is a 991 Turbo S):

- Stiff chassis, not recommended for people who are more into comfortable rides. There is no button to switch to a comfort setting.

- Exhaust/engine sound with PSE very nice and loud, not quite at the level of the 991 Carrera S Cabriolet but pretty close to it.

- Steering feel direct but not much different from my 991 Turbo S steering (which was a surprise)

- PDK shifts fast (though there is a tiny delay vs. the 991 Turbo S)

- Fuel consumption higher than expected in the city (14 l / 100 km on average, with Sport mode around 15 liters, up to even 17 liters).

- Engine is powerful if you rev it high, it doesn't seem to loose it's edge at higher rev figures but lacks a little bit of torque.

- Brakes are good, no complaints here.

- Lack of PTV and limited slip differential is a problem, the car has serious traction issues right now (winter tires Continental WinterContact TS830 P N0, lower temperatures). Let's hope it is going to be better with summer tires (Pirelli PZero).

- Roof opens and closes extremely fast (aprox. 10 seconds), which is very nice. Also the new roof seems to be pretty well isolated, I don't feel any draft, even at higher speeds.

- Car feels agile, light and nimble but I would lie if I would say that the 991 Turbo S feels much different, especially in curves (the AWS seems to do it's magic).

- Interior quality look & feel seems to be slightly worse than on the 991 Turbo S, which kind of surprised me (I thought Porsche uses the same materials for all cars or maybe quality control for the 991 Turbo S is better). I may be wrong though since the Boxster has black leather and my 991 Turbo S has the bi-color black/Carrera red leather.

Overall, this is a very nice car for people who want to have some fun, especially with the possibility to open the top. The Boxster S is actually also the best argument against the Cayman, as sad as this may sound. The car has everything it needs and the Cayman isn't faster. So why bother?! The need of higher rev figures to be actually fast kind of makes this car perfect for country roads and highways but not so much for city traffic.

Here is a (bad) photo out of my garage, the car sits pretty low (not sure if it is visible) but it has the winter wheels right now (19'' Boxster S rims, summer tires are on Carrera S 20'' rims painted in platinum satin).

autos.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

- Interior quality look & feel seems to be slightly worse than on the 991 Turbo S, which kind of surprised me (I thought Porsche uses the same materials for all cars or maybe quality control for the 991 Turbo S is better). I may be wrong though since the Boxster has black leather and my 991 Turbo S has the bi-color black/Carrera red leather.

Perhaps it's because your Turbo S has natural leather (since carrera red is natural leather only), which is of a higher quality that standard black leather .. you can of course get natural leather in the 981 too.

I see many 981 Boxsters in Zürich but haven't seen one new Cayman on the road. The other day I thought I spotted a Cayman, but it was a 991 Turbo. angry From a certain angle they actually look very similar. indecision

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

I was talking about the overall finish, quality look & feel, it seems to be (a tiny bit) better on the Turbo S.

My Boxster S was produced in July 2013, my Turbo S in September 2013. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

sfo:
    RC:

Perhaps it's because your Turbo S has natural leather (since carrera red is natural leather only), which is of a higher quality that standard black leather .. you can of course get natural leather in the 981 too.

I'm not sure if the two-tone black-red is natural leather. Porsche doesn't ask additional cost for it, while they do ask additional cost for the full Espresso or Carrera red or two-tone Espresso-Cognac. My salesman told me the Black-Carrera red isn't natural leather because it is very hard to make a black natural leather.Smiley

Nevertheless, the interior quality of the Boxster is indeed not completely on par with the 991, but still pretty nice. The A-pilars aren't covered in leather, like the 991 cab for example. It's no surprise though... The Boxster S' baseprice is about 50% of the 991 Carrera S Cab's baseprice. I think that, compared to a 991 cab, you get a nice package for a lot less money.  Although I may be a little biased, I still think the Boxster S is the Porsche with most value for your money and it's surprisingly practical too! Combined luggage-space in frunk and trunk is the same as a VW Golf's bootspace.

You made a good switch RC!  ;)  very nice car! 

PS: PTV is indeed a very nice feature. Too bad, your car doesn't have it. Makes the car feel even more agile and gives slightly better traction, although it never matches a 991, because of the layout.

--

Suzy

Yes, PTV would have been great to have, everything else is exactly how I would have ordered it (well, maybe I would have chosen the Carrera Classic rims (my car has the Carrera S rims), a red roof (goes well with Agate) and red stitching. I am also thinking about switching to the Sport Bucket seats (the car doesn't even have the Sport Seats Plus, which is a pity) but it may be too expensive (if possible). 

Car was a very good offer, I also got the recently mounted 19'' winter wheels (brand-new, only 1000 km or so) for free, a 4100 EUR value. I was actually thinking about buying the car but the lease offer was very good because I was able to transfer the initial payment from the Cayenne GTS to the Boxster and keep the rates as low as on the Cayenne. I can still buy the car for 30k or so when the lease ends in 36 months but I'm not so sure I am going to do that. The lack of PTV could really be an issue but it was the only car I could "switch" with the Cayenne without having to put more money into a car. I also had an offer for the 991 Carrera S Cab I test-drove back in September, a very nice offer indeed but I need the car as a daily driver and driving to my business in a 991 is impossible (I explained the reasons many times).

The happiest person is actually my wife, she doesn't admit it ("do what you want" were her words when I asked her if I should exchange the Cayenne with a Boxster) but today she asked for the spare key and told me that she is going to take the car for a ride this weekend. No that she really wants to.  Oh boy are women clever... sad  indecision

--

A very nice xmas treat - enjoy!

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

SuzyF:
    sfo:
    RC:

I'm not sure if the two-tone black-red is natural leather. Porsche doesn't ask additional cost for it, while they do ask additional cost for the full Espresso or Carrera red or two-tone Espresso-Cognac. My salesman told me the Black-Carrera red isn't natural leather because it is very hard to make a black natural leather.Smiley

Nevertheless, the interior quality of the Boxster is indeed not completely on par with the 991, but still pretty nice. The A-pilars aren't covered in leather, like the 991 cab for example. It's no surprise though... The Boxster S' baseprice is about 50% of the 991 Carrera S Cab's baseprice. I think that, compared to a 991 cab, you get a nice package for a lot less money.  Although I may be a little biased, I still think the Boxster S is the Porsche with most value for your money and it's surprisingly practical too! Combined luggage-space in frunk and trunk is the same as a VW Golf's bootspace.

You made a good switch RC!  ;)  very nice car! 

PS: PTV is indeed a very nice feature. Too bad, your car doesn't have it. Makes the car feel even more agile and gives slightly better traction, although it never matches a 991, because of the layout.

Damn....who are you??? SmileySmiley

--

RC:

Yes, PTV would have been great to have, everything else is exactly how I would have ordered it (well, maybe I would have chosen the Carrera Classic rims (my car has the Carrera S rims), a red roof (goes well with Agate) and red stitching. I am also thinking about switching to the Sport Bucket seats (the car doesn't even have the Sport Seats Plus, which is a pity) but it may be too expensive (if possible). 

Car was a very good offer, I also got the recently mounted 19'' winter wheels (brand-new, only 1000 km or so) for free, a 4100 EUR value. I was actually thinking about buying the car but the lease offer was very good because I was able to transfer the initial payment from the Cayenne GTS to the Boxster and keep the rates as low as on the Cayenne. I can still buy the car for 30k or so when the lease ends in 36 months but I'm not so sure I am going to do that. The lack of PTV could really be an issue but it was the only car I could "switch" with the Cayenne without having to put more money into a car. I also had an offer for the 991 Carrera S Cab I test-drove back in September, a very nice offer indeed but I need the car as a daily driver and driving to my business in a 991 is impossible (I explained the reasons many times).

The happiest person is actually my wife, she doesn't admit it ("do what you want" were her words when I asked her if I should exchange the Cayenne with a Boxster) but today she asked for the spare key and told me that she is going to take the car for a ride this weekend. No that she really wants to.  Oh boy are women clever... sad  indecision

--

Of course they are!! Smiley SmileySmiley

I also traded the original wheels for Carrera Classic. The car was original on black Carrera S wheels, which I didn't like. (Too much black). The Classic wheels are my favourite anyways, so couldn't resist when they ask if i wanted to trade. i don't have a winter set. Car is in hibernation now... Maybe I should have bought a set of winter wheels and tyres after all. Smiley

Those bucket seats look really nice, but getting in and out is a PITA (at least to do it a bit gracefully, being a woman). Mine has the 18-way and I absolutely love them. 

--

Suzy

Yes, I love the Carrera Classic rims but they are expensive and my dealer wasn't ready to exchange them with Classic rims. Not that I should complaint, otherwise they were really generous.

0241809482002.jpg

This is how my car looks with summer wheels (Carrera S rims painted in platinum satin).

--

SuzyF:

According to Eduardo, in a recent post over at that other forum, the Carrera Red in the Black/Red combo interior is "natural" but the black is "standard". But I believe RC has this in his 911 Turbo S, so he could probably say definitively.

And, yes, a good, solid black in natural leather (dyed rather than "painted") is difficult to achieve. Browns (and red is in the same family of colors) are much easier to get the desired affect with using dye.

My 991 Turbo S leather certainly doesn't look to be natural leather, also the Porsche documentation doesn't mention that anywhere. yes

--

Congrats! I like the 981S very much :)

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

RC:

Yes, I love the Carrera Classic rims but they are expensive and my dealer wasn't ready to exchange them with Classic rims. Not that I should complaint, otherwise they were really generous.

0241809482002.jpg

This is how my car looks with summer wheels (Carrera S rims painted in platinum satin).

It's only 10mm differrence with the PASM, but it is clearly visible that yours is lower... Never knew 10mm was that visible!  I also like those Carrera S wheels BTW, they look good on the car.

--

Suzy

RC:

My 991 Turbo S leather certainly doesn't look to be natural leather, also the Porsche documentation doesn't mention that anywhere. yes

I may have misread his post. Looking at it again, he doesn't specifically say the official combo is, but that there have been some custom orders, on models where black/red isn't offered as an official option, where they have combined a black interior with deviated natural red pieces to achieve a similar effect.

The agate gray is really a much nicer color than one would think from viewing it in the configurator. (Much lighter gray, or almost black, depending on whether it's 2 or 3D.) It's unfortunate that they aren't able to accurately represent the colors there.

easy_rider911:

Congrats! I like the 981S very much :)

Thank you, easy. Smiley Very nice ride but I'm afraid my wife will drive it more often than I actually anticipated. Smiley Never share a car with your wife. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:

Congratulations RC. Your Boxster looks very attractive especially the "summer version".

Is the 981 -20mm without PASM (your reference to the absence of the comfort button)?

Also, I suppose the sport chassis must be very hard for daily driving, as even the standard the mid-engined platform rides harder than the 911 Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Your Boxster really looks like a mini CGT, love the color and wheels, nice choice and congrats Smiley

J.Seven

reginos:
    RC:

Congratulations RC. Your Boxster looks very attractive especially the "summer version".

Is the 981 -20mm without PASM (your reference to the absence of the comfort button)?

Also, I suppose the sport chassis must be very hard for daily driving, as even the standard the mid-engined platform rides harder than the 911 Smiley

The 20 mm chassis is stiff like hell. You don't really feel the difference to PASM until you hit a bad road like I did this morning. I thought my back is going to be hurt and I had a thick winter jacket on. Also the car "jumps" a little bit on very bad roads. My wife won't be pleased I'm afraid but the car looks gorgeous with the low chassis (looks lower in reality than on pics) and it really feels very nice and "planted" in curves. A lot of oversteer though with the winter tires but I actually enjoy it because it is different from my 991 Turbo S. I just wish it had less traction issues, I have to be very careful when I accelerate from standstill on a not perfectly dry road.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763362 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435863 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260774 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257751 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81232 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5324 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872748 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808232 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM