Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Interesting to also note the difference between Chris Harris' impression vs Richard Meaden's in the EVO one.

Richard is still in the dinosaur camp, still dreaming what could have been had Porsche taken out the hybrid system and makes the car 300kg lighter. He already had his answer and didn't know it, it's called the Carrera GT. 

There is nothing to gain and everything to lose for Porsche to do another Carrera GT. That theoretical car will require no challenge from Porsche's engineers and Porsche will be viewed as a also ran instead of at the frontal edge of technology. Right now because of the 918 which is likely the most complexed car ever, Porsche is THE most advanced car maker, even over Tesla. No one else come close.

They solved every single technological hurdles, they masked the extra weight with unreal agility and restricted the weight gain with advance weight loss program on everywhere else and even solved the brake regen transition puzzle. 

I am so glad I picked this car. 

--

Whoopsy:

Best part is that he is now a convert.

In his earlier video on the 918, he was still a doubter, wondering why Porsche didn't do another Carrera GT, why bother with the hybrid stuff. Now he finally understands and 'get it'. He must have thought it was a pipe dream of what Porsche has promised the car will do before, but I think Porsche has totally delivered, plus more. I don't recall watching him get so excited in any other of his reviews.

Don´t think he´s convinced ! He´s impressed with the the tech achievement no doubt about it, but he didn´t speak with his heart like he did when he tested the F12, he was trying to find the right words not to let down Porsche top of the brand product and knowledge ,but  the word "detached" says it all...

This car has been all over the press for the last two years, it has been tested by many journalists, it has been presented over & over again by Porsche, it´s now becoming outdated compared to P1 or LaFerrari, it simply lost all his magic and anxiety a car like this should have , I really don´t know if Porsche marketing department has planed this horrific strategy since the begin which I really don´t believe, or maybe something went wrong on development schedule and it turn out on this marketing mess we´ve been painfull assisting Smiley

Anyways, no doubt it´s wonderful tech achievement and I just read the P1 made 6.59,17 min (2 sec slower than 918) on Nurburgring drove by Chris Goodwin the main factory test driver. Car was configure for race track mode, the rear wing was up 300mm, suspension lowered 50mm and the RaceActive suspension was tuned for this specific event. Max speed achieved was 330Kph on the Dottinger Hohe straight, but it was mention in the article, max speed was electronic limited!!!!!I 

If true, this really shows how good is the 918.

J.Seven

CH tweeted two days after his test drive, that his brain is still "scrambled" by the 918, so I'm sure he is really, really very impressed by the car and its speed...

Btw, where did you read about the P1 Ring time?

I have never seen CH so concentrated and exited behind the wheel of a car . Usually he has that relaxed / fun attitude but here he looks very impressed !

I love the 918 . It's my absolute dream car .

J.Seven : I had the same feeling 6 month back, but now this car looks new and fresh again . The finish of it is so unbelievably perfect .   This car is way nicer and more matured then any of the other super-super cars !

Whoopsy : You made the perfect choice !!!! Congratualtions again . You had vision . You could see the future . Well done ! I am pretty sure some other who canceled their orders will go back ….Smiley

One of my neighbor has one on order . I hope I will see him drive around in it . It will complete his stable that has : A CGT,  sports classic, 964 Turbo S, 991 Carrera S, GT2 RS, Cayenne Turbo …

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

OMG what a video again - need to invest more money into the lottery indecision

Gnil , obviously I´m not saying the car is not fresh, I do find it has a timeless design that will keep the freshness longer than the P1 or La Ferrari, what I don´t get it, is seeing the car for the last two years "every where" and the owners are still waiting for delivers. A car like this should have some secrecy, it should be discover bit by bit, shown only in certain occasions during development and then being presented in a very special way to general public, but make no mistake, the 918 is state of art on four wheels Smiley and I can only congratulate woopsy and Wonderbar to have the chance to own a dream car like this Smiley.

J.Seven

Apparently Porsche had to demonstrate the car longer than Ferrari to gather orders. A special Ferrari in very limited numbers is an instant magnet for collectors and speculators whereas Porsche never achieved that status with cars like the C GT or the 959 in the 80s. The P1 is a novelty from a new manufacturer and given its limited numbers it might be easier to sell.

--

"Form follows function"

J.Seven:

A car like this should have some secrecy, it should be discover bit by bit, shown only in certain occasions during development and then being presented in a very special way to general public,

You mean, just like I like it with a new wife Smiley  ( not that I am not happy with the current one ! ) 

I get it…. yes, it would of been nice and this was a strange process . But the excitement is still there .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Whoopsy:

Interesting to also note the difference between Chris Harris' impression vs Richard Meaden's in the EVO one.

Richard is still in the dinosaur camp, still dreaming what could have been had Porsche taken out the hybrid system and makes the car 300kg lighter. He already had his answer and didn't know it, it's called the Carrera GT. 

There is nothing to gain and everything to lose for Porsche to do another Carrera GT. That theoretical car will require no challenge from Porsche's engineers and Porsche will be viewed as a also ran instead of at the frontal edge of technology. Right now because of the 918 which is likely the most complexed car ever, Porsche is THE most advanced car maker, even over Tesla. No one else come close.

They solved every single technological hurdles, they masked the extra weight with unreal agility and restricted the weight gain with advance weight loss program on everywhere else and even solved the brake regen transition puzzle. 

Actually, Porsche is rumored to build another Carrera GT...the so called 960. Smiley Performance will be of course not even close to 918 performance but I would say that 0-100 kph in slightly under 3 seconds, 0-200 kph in slightly over 9 seconds should be good enough for a start. These are the numbers I heard as a rumor and they indicate possible factory claims, not real performance numbers. Top speed around 325-330 kph. Base price tag under 300k.

The new Carrera GT? Smiley The 918 is wonderful, you certainly made the right choice. If I would have the money, I would have ordered the 918 as well. Amazing product.

Speaking of hybrid technology: The next 911 generation could already use some sort of hybrid technology as far as I heard, especially the next gen 911 Turbo. Smiley So "hybrid" is definitely the next big thing with sports cars, Porsche seems to be aware of that.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I think the very public development and marketing strategy actually seems to be paying off. No one is left in any doubt at all about the technical achievment that this car represents as a result of the coverage and detail of the testing and development program. As well, the car has under-promised and over-delivered. Whatever Ring time or other performance figures the P1 and LAF may produce, Porsche got there quciker and broke the magic barrier first. On top of that, the 918 has turned out to be so usable and refined. Although most hypercar buyers are not primarily motivated by fuel efficiency, I think it is hard to overlook that Porsche has managed to pack in such performance with the ability to operate so efficiently if the user desires. It is a magnificent achievement and I think it will have a place in automotive history.

As to what the trading values on the market are in the future, that is a separate story and is driven by total numbers produced and the tastes of collectors. In my mind this car rises well above all that.

I suppose one can try to read into Chris's comments various things, but he has always been articulate and honest, and having watched the video, it is clear to me that he is gobsmacked by this car.

Congrats Whoopsy, you faith will be well-rewarded.

I would like to mention that I am actually more fascinated by the car itself (engineering) than performance figures. This happens pretty seldom. A true technological masterpiece and something every true sportscar fan with a big pocket should consider buying. 

When the 959 showed up for the very first time, I had a similar admiration (and craving to get one).

Maybe I am lucky to win the lottery before they sell out. indecision

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Impressive achievement from Porsche...but there are 2 things unclear for me.

CH said no direct connection between the steering and the wheels (or at least that was implying), is this really true? I always thought the steering has a physical connection with the wheels and the electric motor is mounted on the steering rack to ''help'' you turn the wheel.

And the second is: What kind of performance will the car have if you go on a longer drive and empty the battery?

Very enjoyable and informative video from Chris Harris.

The car is simply stunning, very very impressive and highly desirable. Like Gnil, this is a dream car for me too.

As for the guys who have ordered this, well, hope you enjoy every minute :)

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

What happened to the La Ferrari? Not a word about the car. I thought production was to begin early 2014.

nberry:

What happened to the La Ferrari? Not a word about the car. I thought production was to begin early 2014.

I think the first one is already delivered. At least,msomeone spotted the car in Monaco. I'll see if I can find the link.

edit: here it is:  http://www.autogespot.com/ferrari-laferrari/2013/12/14#img1

--

Suzy

RC:

Actually, Porsche is rumored to build another Carrera GT...the so called 960. Smiley Performance will be of course not even close to 918 performance but I would say that 0-100 kph in slightly under 3 seconds, 0-200 kph in slightly over 9 seconds should be good enough for a start. These are the numbers I heard as a rumor and they indicate possible factory claims, not real performance numbers. Top speed around 325-330 kph. Base price tag under 300k.

The new Carrera GT? Smiley The 918 is wonderful, you certainly made the right choice. If I would have the money, I would have ordered the 918 as well. Amazing product.

Speaking of hybrid technology: The next 911 generation could already use some sort of hybrid technology as far as I heard, especially the next gen 911 Turbo. Smiley So "hybrid" is definitely the next big thing with sports cars, Porsche seems to be aware of that.

That's my point.

Porsche developed the 918 first and explore their technical limit and push their engineers to the limit. Those guys gained extremely valuable knowledge and insight that can be applied to every projects.

The rumoured 960 project will be one of those. The V8 would be a natural, the chassis calibration with 4ws, and other light weight tech that they developed for the 918 can be reused on the 960. And now that they got the regen braking and physical braking calibration perfected, that knowledge can be apply to every other hybrid they want to make. It's a game changer.

If, had Porsche do a 960 first, there is really nothing they could have transferred anywhere or learn. The super lightweight stuff was born out of a need to offset the hybrid system. A petrol only 960 would have no need for the extreme weight loss, whatever they know right now can be used. Can Porsche build a mid engine sports car that is just about equal to the 12C or slightly better using what they already know right now? Of course they can, they can do one probably within a year without trouble. Why didn't they? Cause there was no challenge. And they have extreme confidence in their 991 Turbo S. 

And they would certainly still have the hybrid hurdle to jump over in order to make their next generation hybrid cars.

The 918 is the Kennedy going to the moon moment in automotive history. No one thought it's actually possible to make a hybrid so sexy, go so fast, mask the weight so well, yet retained the unreal fuel economy, not to mention the most daily usable hyper car. There is no other car like it, the 918 even surpasses the 959 in technology relevant to the time era.

--

Whoopsy:

I agree and have to admit that I had my doubts two years ago. I still had hopes that Porsche would pull this one of and they absolutely did but it was hard to picture the final result back then. So yes, what they have achieved is an impressive engineering statement. 

Additional to your points above one has to realize what McLaren and Ferrari are about to come up with, how would Porsche as an engineering-driven company look like if they would still remain in the "dinosaur age" and present a direct successor to the Carrera GT? 

Time will tell how the 918 will fare over the course of time but until then, enjoy the car! Smiley

J.Seven:

This car has been all over the press for the last two years, it has been tested by many journalists, it has been presented over & over again by Porsche, it´s now becoming outdated compared to P1 or LaFerrari, it simply lost all his magic and anxiety a car like this should have , I really don´t know if Porsche marketing department has planed this horrific strategy since the begin which I really don´t believe, or maybe something went wrong on development schedule and it turn out on this marketing mess we´ve been painfull assisting Smiley

I´d say there have been worse media stunts from Porsche in the past, especially some of those "special editions". I found the approach to present the 918 to be very interesting, especially as it highlighted the effort and progress of the project. Still, not many people have seen the car in reality or even driven it. So it is not much different than discovering spy photos on the internet or in a magazine, just that they come straight from the manufacturer. 

I see your point but the possibility to follow the development surpasses the fact some of the car´s elements have been presented before its launch. 

Ferdie:

I agree and have to admit that I had my doubts two years ago. I still had hopes that Porsche would pull this one of and they absolutely did but it was hard to picture the final result back then. So yes, what they have achieved is an impressive engineering statement. 

Additional to your points above one has to realize what McLaren and Ferrari are about to come up with, how would Porsche as an engineering-driven company look like if they would still remain in the "dinosaur age" and present a direct successor to the Carrera GT? 

Time will tell how the 918 will fare over the course of time but until then, enjoy the car! Smiley

Both the P1 and the LaFerrari were a direct response to the 918. 

McLaren may have a petrol only version of a souped up 12C ready as the original P1. But seeing Porsche announced theirs will be a hybrid, they shoehorned the hybrid system in, the motor is an afterthought, the engine compartment dimension of the 12C platform was never designed with a hybrid system in mind, McLaren has to place their motor off to one side just to fit it in. 

As for Ferrari, well, they are Ferrari, so they just raid their own parts bin to scrape enough up to make a hyper car. Their so called hybrid system is even more worthless, but it's a working model based on their F1 KERS system I believe. Their expertise lies in the aero treatment of the body work, like McLaren, they have spare capacity on their wind tunnel.

Had the 918 been designed as a pure petrol car, no doubt McLaren and Ferrari will not go the hybrid route.

We will get 3 more dinosaurs. 

Or maybe both McLaren and Ferrari will get sneaky and do a hybrid and then Porsche would looked really really bad. 

--

SuzyF:
    nberry:

I think the first one is already delivered. At least,msomeone spotted the car in Monaco. I'll see if I can find the link.

edit: here it is:  http://www.autogespot.com/ferrari-laferrari/2013/12/14#img1

--

Suzy

Suzy, thanks!kiss

Whoopsy, you seem to be implying that the P1 and La Ferrari are a response to the 918. I find that curious since Ferrari and McLaren have been in the forefront of super car innovations.Smiley

They are, but would they incorporate the hybrid stuff had Porsche didn't with the 918?

LaFerrari is a question mark, maybe Ferrari would or maybe they won't.

But the P1 is quite well documented than the hybrid is an afterthought, shoehorned into the 12C platform. So it's VERY likely that the P1 was planned with an conventional powertrain.

--

kudryavchik:
    TB993tt:
    kudryavchik:

This is old data...

I think the PDF is quite new and certainly many pages of details with ring time comparsions with/without track tyres etc....

Around 3 weeks ago Porsche announced new acceleration and e-mode figures. 0-200 7.2 sec and 0-300 19,9. Normal package is 20,9 sec.

Interesting document! What was a lap time with race tyres? It is very interesting to compare with zonda r and 599 xxSmiley

thats still almost 14s in the 200-300 for the non weissach car and i think thats kind of slow for a 900hp car...

--

2011 CTT, 2013 12C Spider, 2013 A5 cab, 2014 4Runner Trail Edition

technological tour de force...and very well carried out at that. imo the ultimate supercar at the Moment.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

AAHTT:
    kudryavchik:
    TB993tt:
    kudryavchik:

This is old data...

I think the PDF is quite new and certainly many pages of details with ring time comparsions with/without track tyres etc....

Around 3 weeks ago Porsche announced new acceleration and e-mode figures. 0-200 7.2 sec and 0-300 19,9. Normal package is 20,9 sec.

Interesting document! What was a lap time with race tyres? It is very interesting to compare with zonda r and 599 xxSmiley

thats still almost 14s in the 200-300 for the non weissach car and i think thats kind of slow for a 900hp car...

My 991 Turbo S needs 20.1 seconds, so I guess the 13.7 seconds for the  918 isn't bad at all. Like all Porsche cars, even the 918 is going to be an excellent daily driver. Still waiting for the chance to drive one for a longer period of time (a couple of hours rather than a couple of hundreds of meters Smiley) to have a final opinion on this car but so far, I would order one in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

--

AAHTT:
    kudryavchik:

It does seem a bit slow, my 7GT2 with 800 and a bit hp takes about 11 or 12s.

I think the 918 has quite some losses through the drive train, 4WD, PDK,those electric motors must sap some power, It is only probably putting down 700hp at the wheels and then there is that downforce, 300kg at 300kph, the Carerra GT really struggled after 250kph taking about 18s to get to 300kph and this was mostly the drag, having said all this the benefit of the drag on the CGT and on the 918 will be superb very high speed stability which is ultimately more important than a couple of seconds lost on acceleration.  

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

You seriously compare a tuned car with a "standard" model? Taking in consideration Porsche engineering's internal quality, safety, efficiency, reliability and durability tests and guidelines, your car would never make it to production in it's current state. Food for thought...maybe. 

--

RC:

You seriously compare a tuned car with a "standard" model? Taking in consideration Porsche engineering's internal quality, safety, efficiency, reliability and durability tests, your car would never make it to production in it's current state. Food for thought...maybe. 

Ouch Smiley.

My engine produces its 800+hp with 1.1bar boost with all factory systems and safe guards operating I think it would stand in good stead with Porsche engineers but you are right tho', Porsche would never release a car so wild, all production Porsches (with the exception of the CGT) are expertly engineered and neutered, the 918 seems no exception - for those of us who crave more excitement, it is available elsewhere at cost Smiley

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

RC:

You seriously compare a tuned car with a "standard" model? Taking in consideration Porsche engineering's internal quality, safety, efficiency, reliability and durability tests and guidelines, your car would never make it to production in it's current state. Food for thought...maybe. 

--

You are one mean dude Smiley

Italo:
    RC:

--

You are one mean dude Smiley

Seriously, I haven't tried to be mean. Smiley It is a mere fact. Manufacturers are developing/producing under completely different rules than tuners. This is also the reason why for example Alois Ruf gets always mad when somebody calls him a tuner. He is a manufacturer and he takes pride in it. Smiley

You also need to know that even if a Mezger based engine can take a lot of excessive power/stress, everything else like drivetrain, gearbox and even the bodyshell/chassis are not made for a power increase of 200 or even 300 hp. This can go very very wrong at some point, this is why I've never been a fan of excessive tuning. 50-100 hp should be acceptable (not always, it depends on the car) but everything in excess of 100 hp, I would leave to "manufacturers" like RUF.

This is just my opinion, nobody has to agree with it. However, I was lucky enough to get some direct insight into development (more than some of you guys can even imagine and I am very thankful to Porsche for that) and if you see how much details play a role in certain decisions, you would never trust a tuned car again. Power isn't everything.

It wasn't my intention to offend anyone, honestly. Smiley

--

Lets not forget that after 265 kph, the front engine deciuples, so 887 - 130)))
    --

sportcars-history.com

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689549 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409227 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255735 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234990 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4646 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857969 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774025 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM