Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Anyone expierenced the MINI JCW GP2

I'm on the verge of getting my gf the new MINI GP2 to replace her unlove Alfa MiTo. I've heard so many great things about the GP2 it should be a cracking drivers' car.

Anyone here experienced one before? Is it suitable for daily use in the city? I heard the turbo engines are pretty fragile, but buying new, that shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Check it out in action here from 4'20"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT4WXokoAx0

Re: Anyone expierenced the MINI JCW GP2

Porker:

I'm on the verge of getting my gf the new MINI GP2 to replace her unlove Alfa MiTo. I've heard so many great things about the GP2 it should be a cracking drivers' car.

Anyone here experienced one before? Is it suitable for daily use in the city? I heard the turbo engines are pretty fragile, but buying new, that shouldn't be too much of a concern.

I drove one for an hour or so and while I liked it, the chassis is pretty stiff, there isn't much comfort left (car was lowered to lowest setting though). If your GF can live with that, she will like the car but I would rather go for a Megane RS instead (drove it the second day and loved it much more). I like the look of the Mini better but the Megane is more satisfying from a driver's point of view.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    Porker:

I drove one for an hour or so and while I liked it, the chassis is pretty stiff, there isn't much comfort left (car was lowered to lowest setting though). If your GF can live with that, she will like the car but I would rather go for a Megane RS instead (drove it the second day and loved it much more). I like the look of the Mini better but the Megane is more satisfying from a driver's point of view.

I agree RenaultSport cars would be the (even) better choice from a driver's perspective, but she can't live with the image. For a girl, I think indeed a MINI would be the more stylish choice.

The GP2 is just a 2 seater.

Take this one with Dealer-warranty - save money and it´s more practical:

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/mini-john-cooper-works-john-cooper-works-world-championship-50-navi-led-b%C3%B6blingen/1831...

A very nice Edition...

This one comes with the best seats - but a lot of milage:

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/mini-john-cooper-works-mini-jcw-world-champ-50-recaro-bmw-garantie-laatzen/174803492.html?l...

Blueflame

Buying a JCW Mini used with 40k km and more? No way. enlightened Many have been chip tuned or driven very very hard, I wouldn't buy a used one. Never.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

My wife has a Mini JCW ( but not GP2 ). She just loves it ! But I recon she would love a Cooper S exactly the same way if she had one . She says she feels young and sexy in it  blush

To me it has slightly too much power on the front train . Going through roundabouts you always slip with the front wheels if you are not careful on the throttle when coming out the roundabout .  The brakes are amazing ….. stronger then my Carrera S !  The chassis is sporty but good enough for a DD . Then I would not do very long journey in it as it could become uncomfortable .

My wife is not into sports car specially , she just like feeling good in a car and the JCW does it to her .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

My wife has a Mini JCW ( but not GP2 ). She just loves it ! But I recon she would love a Cooper S exactly the same way if she had one . She says she feels young and sexy in it  blush

To me it has slightly too much power on the front train . Going through roundabouts you always slip with the front wheels if you are not careful on the throttle when coming out the roundabout .  The brakes are amazing ….. stronger then my Carrera S !  The chassis is sporty but good enough for a DD . Then I would not do very long journey in it as it could become uncomfortable .

My wife is not into sports car specially , she just like feeling good in a car and the JCW does it to her .

Funny...my wife hates the Mini. Smiley She actually doesn't like any small car, the smallest one she fancies is the Boxster. Smiley

--

it's a lovely car.  was thinking about buying one as a DD at one stage.

my only problem with it is the super stiff ride around town and no rear seats/luggage nets... it's really more suited as a track day toy.

just imaging all her shopping flying around the back whilst driving....

a standard JCW Mini would do the trick if u can find a good deal.  

otherwise, Clio RS? Arbath500? second hand 135i?

--

BMW 1 M + C63 (gone).   997.2 GT3

Gnil:

That's what MINI's and Range Rovers tend to do to girls. Smiley

Thanks for your input, regarding the power issue, I'm amazed to see even the GP has to do without an LSD, they say the semi-slicks make up for that, but I can imagine it being a wild ride in the rain..

blueflame:

The GP2 is just a 2 seater.

Take this one with Dealer-warranty - save money and it´s more practical:

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/mini-john-cooper-works-john-cooper-works-world-championship-50-navi-led-b%C3%B6blingen/1831...

A very nice Edition...

This one comes with the best seats - but a lot of milage:

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/mini-john-cooper-works-mini-jcw-world-champ-50-recaro-bmw-garantie-laatzen/174803492.html?l...

Blueflame

It's that two seater-special that appeals to me personally, I'm sure she would be happy with any MINI. At this time in our lives, we don't need more than two seats, so that's not really an issue.

I didn't know that World Championship 50 edition though, it looks nice, I'll look into that, thanks!

derder:

it's a lovely car.  was thinking about buying one as a DD at one stage.

my only problem with it is the super stiff ride around town and no rear seats/luggage nets... it's really more suited as a track day toy.

just imaging all her shopping flying around the back whilst driving....

a standard JCW Mini would do the trick if u can find a good deal.  

otherwise, Clio RS? Arbath500? second hand 135i?

It's going to be pretty bumpy indeed, but on the flip side, I could nick it for a Nordschleife trackday once in a while and it'd be perfectly suited to do that. Smiley

Clio RS Cup I've tried multiple times, but she wouldn't want to be seen dead in it. Abarth would be good for her, but I'm sure that's dynamically inferior to the MINI.

I was considering a M135i, as it should be a real blast to drive and own, but I can't get past its unfortunate looks. Maybe the facelift will take care of that?

I actually like the Fiat 500 Abarth quite a lot. A local dealer over here offered a new one, pretty loaded, for 17k EUR (special price) and I was very tempted but my mother doesn't want to drive stick and it wouldn't make sense otherwise (it would be some sort of smaller "emergency" car, like the Mini Countryman Cooper S is right now).

--

in terms of looks, i love the Abarth 500.  

it looks the business with two tone colour and dark wheels....  but dynamically, no, it cant be discussed on the same page as mini/Clio RS.   

but sounds like you have made up your mind about the mini so if you GF loves it, then go for it!

--

BMW 1 M + C63 (gone).   997.2 GT3

I had a Mini Cooper S converible, it was a lot of fun to drive but with time the relatively stiff suspension takes it toll. So i would make sure you drive the car for a while on the roads where u gonna use it regularly, before you sign on the dotted line! my wife hated it because of the suspensions....

--

turbolite

Daughter has a Cooper SD auto convertible. I have never driven a car with such a rattle noisy cabin, it's woeful to the point of even being shocked at how bad it was. Sort it out BMW...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

turbolite:

I had a Mini Cooper S converible, it was a lot of fun to drive but with time the relatively stiff suspension takes it toll. So i would make sure you drive the car for a while on the roads where u gonna use it regularly, before you sign on the dotted line! my wife hated it because of the suspensions....

Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to drive the GP, the available example is new and for sale, so obviously they don't lend it for casual test drives. Since I'm 90% sure of taking the plunge, they'll let us try it before deciding.

It's pretty clear the GP is a hardcore hot hatch, so I'm expecting the ride to be very firm indeed, however, the GP is running on bespoke coilovers, it is said that the damping is firm but more rounded and qualitative than regular JCW's.

After reading EVO's Car Of The Year 2013 issue, I'm quite sure it's the hot hatch to go for. They compared a regular Cooper S to a Carrera 4 while the GP is the GT2 of the range. I needed nothing more to convince me...

... now fingers crossed my girlfriend likes it as well. Smiley

We had a couple of Minis so far and they bore me to death. Why am I still buying a Mini (next one is going to be a Mini Cooper D with automatic tranny)? Well...the dealership is close, the sales person is amazing (nice and makes very good prices) and quality seems to be OK too. Personally, I would have rather gone with a Mercedes A45 or a Fiat 500 Abarth instead but to each his own I guess. The Mini GP2 is certainly cheaper than the A45 and certainly faster than the Fiat 500 Abarth, so your girlfriend can't go wrong. I wonder however if this really is the car for her. Most women (if not all) I know actually hate these kind of cars (Mini yes, GP2 no).

--

RC:

Most women (if not all) I know actually hate these kind of cars (Mini yes, GP2 no).

But their boyfriends might like them.  Smiley

I'm ordering tomorrow, I'm pretty sure we'll be happy with it. I'll write a review when it's delivered.

Porker:
    RC:

Most women (if not all) I know actually hate these kind of cars (Mini yes, GP2 no).

I'm ordering tomorrow, I'm pretty sure we'll be happy with it. I'll write a review when it's delivered.

Now I get it.  Smiley

Can't wait for your review and photos. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    Porker:
    RC:

Now I get it.  Smiley

My reasoning is just that a JCW is not considered to be a cohesive/well-sorted hot hatch, while the GP is considered to be one of the greats. Price is +/- the same to a well specced JCW and residuals will probably be much better.

Thanks Smiley

Porker:
    RC:

I hope you have sorted that out prior to purchase. Smiley

Very curious what your girlfriend will say over course of time. I actually considered the Mini Coupe as a daily driver as I enjoyed driving it. I could´t stand the styling though but surprisingly many women liked it.

Porker:
    RC:
    Porker:
    RC:

Now I get it.  Smiley

My reasoning is just that a JCW is not considered to be a cohesive/well-sorted hot hatch, while the GP is considered to be one of the greats. Price is +/- the same to a well specced JCW and residuals will probably be much better.

Thanks Smiley

Hey Porker, did you consider the new Cooper S F56?  The new 2.0 liter should be highly tunable and the chassis should be great too (wider track)? 

--

turbolite

I have considered that, especially because of the 2 litre engine, the 1.6 does not have the best reputation. However the styling really needs to grow on me, and I preferred to have something a bit more special.

My best friend and 993 owner just saw the new mini at a presentation in milan three days ago and was raving about the looks. He says the car looks much more like a sportscar and less toyish than the actual model. Particularly the front is more muscular. So i am very curious to see it in the flesh too!

Given completely new chassis, new bogger engind, new auto sportshift I would bet that it goes as fast s a gp2 and at the same time it would be more comfortable thanks to adaptive dampers. Sort of like the 991 and 997, both grewt cars but one was already a coiple of years old.

If u are interested in the pricelist I can send it (I have it for Germany), just send me a PN..

--

turbolite

turbolite:

My best friend and 993 owner just saw the new mini at a presentation in milan three days ago and was raving about the looks. He says the car looks much more like a sportscar and less toyish than the actual model. Particularly the front is more muscular. So i am very curious to see it in the flesh too!

Given completely new chassis, new bogger engind, new auto sportshift I would bet that it goes as fast s a gp2 and at the same time it would be more comfortable thanks to adaptive dampers. Sort of like the 991 and 997, both grewt cars but one was already a coiple of years old.

If u are interested in the pricelist I can send it (I have it for Germany), just send me a PN..

Unfortunately your friend is wrong Smiley new Mini looks more cartoonish than old model !

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/290458/new_mini_2014_prices_specs_and_video.html

J.Seven

Our little devil has arrived, haven't seen it in the flesh yet, the dealer just sent me this picture. I must say it looks great! I had a couple of details changed, black rings for the headlights and rear lights instead of the usual chrome, and some of the stickers removed. Turned out great imo.

Oh, the little devil certainly looks very nice. kiss

--

looking good indeed. Congrats

--

Porsche 911 GT3 - Guards Red 997 MKII Clubsport

Wow Frank! That's an awesome looking little devl! :) congrats! kiss

--

Suzy

SmileySmileySmiley

BlueflameSmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688764 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408794 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255568 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234821 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65411 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857659 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773533 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM