Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: Porsche Macan

SportCarGroup:

But 21" looks soooo much better...

right !!

Enmanuel:
    SportCarGroup:

But 21" looks soooo much better...

right !!

Not here.  In the UK, SUVs with large wheels and very low profile tyres are usually driven (aggressively) by tasteless idiots.  

--

Gen II Cayman S

GM Austin:

I want more sidewall.  This is an SUV after all.  I don't want to worry about bending a rim if I hit a pothole or travel some rough terrain off-road.  I see no advantage to the larger wheels, just potential problems.

+1. 

Although I love the look of the RS Spyder rims. 

SportCarGroup:
    GM Austin:

18" for me.  If they had a 17" I would go for that.

Why??

Think in terms of the heels on ladies shoes:  Flat heels are safer, more comfortable and practical, very high heels are dangerous, uncomfortable but nevertheless more fashionable.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    SportCarGroup:
    GM Austin:

Why??

Think in terms of the heels on ladies shoes:  Flat heels are safer, more comfortable and practical, very high heels are dangerous, uncomfortable but nevertheless more fashionable.  Smiley

Smiley

That in fact is exactly my view of it. 

KMM:
    GM Austin:

I want more sidewall.  This is an SUV after all.  I don't want to worry about bending a rim if I hit a pothole or travel some rough terrain off-road.  I see no advantage to the larger wheels, just potential problems.

+1. 

Although I love the look of the RS Spyder rims. 

+1

--

Gen II Cayman S

Porsche Macan: new face, same Porsche DNA...

Porsche Macan: new face, same Porsche DNA -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

The videos posted by Isuk a few posts back make it pretty clear that the Macan is a smallish SUV.  Room in front and rear seat areas seems pretty cramped, as well as trunk space.  I will wait to see the actual car, but my enthusiasms (which remains high for the design improvements) is dampened overall.  Right now i would pick a Cayenne GTS over the Macan Turbo (even though slower) or a slightly used Cayenne Turbo.  I think if i chose a Macan, I would always feel the need for more space...

RC:

Without full leather, I assume the car won't look too good (just assuming, haven't really checked on it!).

The "acceptable" price level depends on what model you choose. 

The Macan Turbo is somehow acceptable under 100k EUR (base price is 80k over here) but if I think very very hard, actually even this price tag is way too high. For this kind of money, you could almost buy a 911 Turbo 18 years ago or you could buy a 911 Carrera RS Clubsport and another smaller car for the family. 

Still...if someone like me wants to stay with Porsche but cannot afford to drive a 991 Turbo S and an expensive Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S, the Macan Turbo is just perfect. I just hope that the Turbo S will have more standard options.

RC, I completely agree with you on both points. I think my 996 turbo cost a bit over 100000 euro (220 DM) in 2001. That was a shipload of money at the time... now we talk 100k for a souped up medium category SUV. Guess we better get used to it!

The US seems the only place in the world with reasonable prices for cars (and real estate). Consider this: In the US you pay $130k for a Gt3 and $73 k for the Macan turbo, that's $203k. In Switzerland you pay $210k (190k Sfr) just for the Gt3 !!!  Smiley

--

turbolite

Our man on location came back with the same feedback that adults won't fit comfortably in the back. Even at 179cm, his head touches the roof and legroom looks tiny. Probably good enough for kids, but if you end up with a 4.70m SUV that will have occasional passengers scuff your interior because they don't have enough room, it kind of defeats the purpose of choosing a practical and versatile car over a sedan-coupe. From that standpoint, the Macan looks more X6-ish than X3/Q5-ish.

Overall, I don't find the prices that bad. In Switzerland, a decently equiped Macan S configuration (110KCHF per the configurator) would still be cheaper than the list price of my S5 Sportback (117KCHF) which I bought new for ... 79KCHF in Germany for that very reason. 

--

997 GT3 - 550M - 355 GTS F1 - Prius - Audi S5 Sportback

Do the rear seats slide back slightly like the current Cayenne?

fritz:
    SportCarGroup:
    GM Austin:

Why??

I would call it more sexy, but you have to be careful at a certain point it becomes slutty, same with wheels Smiley

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Wonderbar:

There is no reference to this function in the product guide so I'd presume it does not have it. From memory the Cayenne has a lever on the side of the rear seat base to adjust the backrest angle and from the photo's of the cars at the LA show the Macan does not.

ISUK:
    Wonderbar:

There is no reference to this function in the product guide so I'd presume it does not have it. From memory the Cayenne has a lever on the side of the rear seat base to adjust the backrest angle and from the photo's of the cars at the LA show the Macan does not.

Since "even" the VW Tiguan has rear seat backs which can slide back and fore by several centimetres to increase trunk space at the expense of rear seat space (or vice versa) I'd be surprised if the next size up in the VW Group's range of shared-platform SUV's did not have it?  Smiley

--

fritz

All the product guide says about the rear seats is -

"Rear seat system with split-folding seat bench (40/20/40) and folding centre armrest"

Don't want to drag this mini-topic on, but do comparable small SUVs (BMW x3, for example) have sliding back seats, or more room?

GM Austin:

Same opinion here, perhaps not 17", but 18" is fine. 19" at maximum, I also like the design of the standard Macan S ans standard Turbo wheel. Moreover I would not want a small SUV with 295 wheels at the rear. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Here is the luggage space. The rear seats fold flat to create a level loading area.

Luggage space.JPG

Pretty clear.

The Macan has 500l up to the window line and not much more due to the sloping C pillar. Same fenomenon as with the X6 except that the bmw has a bigger/deeper trunk (560l)  and therefore more space above the window line to fill up. 

The Macan trunk is not for people who really need space because of that. If you compare the X3 numbers (550l) you could think that there was not much difference except for the fact that there you can load up to the roof which gives you another 200l at least right there... 

--

turbolite

I actually think that it would have beneficial for the looks if the roof-line would have been with less slope. The car type is more suited to have a more boxy shape in the rear. I also think that the car would have looked more mascular and less "baby"-cayenne. The reasoning behind this design approach is always the porsche DNA and 911 iconic shape and inheritance, but for the specific type of car I don't agree.

Really like the car apart form this particular thing. If they would have gone for a less sloppy rear it would have been more cargo space, better room in the back for adults as a positive side affect. Win-win :). But this is of course my very personal oppinion

Lukas:

I actually think that it would have beneficial for the looks if the roof-line would have been with less slope. The car type is more suited to have a more boxy shape in the rear. I also think that the car would have looked more mascular and less "baby"-cayenne. The reasoning behind this design approach is always the porsche DNA and 911 iconic shape and inheritance, but for the specific type of car I don't agree.

Really like the car apart form this particular thing. If they would have gone for a less sloppy rear it would have been more cargo space, better room in the back for adults as a positive side affect. Win-win :). But this is of course my very personal oppinion

I agree but Porsche wanted to differentiate the Macan from the Cayenne and make it look sportier (as much as possible) without creating the somehow weird shape of the X6 for example. The X6 is not my favorite from a styling point of view, I still think that a SUV should look like a SUV but BMW started a trend here and Porsche didn't want to go (thanks god) the whole way. To be frank, I also think that there is some marketing/sales strategy behind the smaller trunk and back seat space, otherwise Porsche would really get in trouble selling the Cayenne. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    Lukas:

I agree but Porsche wanted to differentiate the Macan from the Cayenne and make it look sportier (as much as possible) without creating the somehow weird shape of the X6 for example. The X6 is not my favorite from a styling point of view, I still think that a SUV should look like a SUV but BMW started a trend here and Porsche didn't want to go (thanks god) the whole way. To be frank, I also think that there is some marketing/sales strategy behind the smaller trunk and back seat space, otherwise Porsche would really get in trouble selling the Cayenne. Smiley

Once again, verification that Porsche is becoming more and more a marketing and sales organization than an engineering-centric organization.

Just came back from the show:

1) Interesting comment from one of the show girls there "Some of the options will not be initially available to not give sticker shock to the new market that the Macan is directed at"

2) I thought the car was very roomy, had no issues with the rear seat (I am 5'9").

And the color they had on the 918 was absolutely gorgeous, it should for being a $64,000 option.

--
    Porsche owner since 1975.

vtrader:

Just came back from the show:

1) Interesting comment from one of the show girls there "Some of the options will not be initially available to not give sticker shock to the new market that the Macan is directed at"

2) I thought the car was very roomy, had no issues with the rear seat (I am 5'9").

And the color they had on the 918 was absolutely gorgeous, it should for being a $64,000 option.

--

Did you happen to notice where the battery is located in the Macan, and hence all the electrical currents are routed,. In the Cayenne it's underneath your privates.

I had no issues with the rear. I am only 175cm, I thought the rear was fine.

--

Sorry, did not see where it is located.

--

Hello,

I am from Portugal and I will order my Macan S diesel at the end of this week. The car salesman told me I should get it by the begining of April.
    I just have a question for you guys, as the sales guy did not knew the answer: if you order the car with standard seat (S models) are both front seat electric or just the driver seat?
    In some websites it is specified as only the driver side is electric (8 way) and passenger is manual (6 way). Can anyone confirm this forme please?

BTW: in Portugal base price for Macan S/ S diesel is 80.000€ (108.000$ USD) and for the Turbo 106.000€ (143.600$ USD). These prices don't include any optional equipement.

If you take the standard seats then yes, it is only the driver's seat that has electric operation.

Seat Options.JPG

Where are the Full Led on the configurator?  Only available from 2015 MY? 

Though, in a video... here they are 

--

2011 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet PDK Basalt Black/Cocoa

2013 Aston Martin Cygnet 

LUPINN:

Where are the Full Led on the configurator?  Only available from 2015 MY? 

Though, in a video... here they are 

This is only a design model. Appearance of LED headlights most likely though, together with PCCB brakes.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782306 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442955 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263533 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261996 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86054 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6044 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881742 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    820046 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM