Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: "Cajun" is now...MACAN Thread Closed

RR Sport is an attractive design, although a bit too boxy and tall for my taste.  Could be a nice choice.

On the RR Web site, all the emphasis is on driving and handling.  Can't imagine, however, that it will outperform the comparable Macan.  Porsche just will not cede the small SUV performance market.  I doubt that in the real world the performance difference will be substantial, but if you are one to notice acceleration and lap time numbers, you will probably regret your RR Sport choice..  

The RRS is by no means a Macan competitor, the Evoque is on that league. comparing them is apples and oranges. 

Enmanuel:

The RRS is by no means a Macan competitor, the Evoque is on that league. comparing them is apples and oranges. 

but the Evoque has yet to get an engine larger than a a few chipmunks - they really need to address that as opposed to just making as many as they can.

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

J.Seven:
    CGX car nut:
    SportCarGroup:
    dreamcar:
    CGX car nut:
    Range Rover, currently, leads across the model line in overall design quality that best represents an SUV. 

Range Rover is the best SUV, period.

Gelandewagen G500 bulletproof, period Smiley

--

I've never wanted an SUV until I drove a new Range Rover Sport. 

Tells us about your RRS test drive!

The best parts are the interior-leather, leather, and leather; the ride is stellar-buttery smooth but corners flat with high limits; and the engine-the supercharged V8 is more than worth the price of admission.  The sound is amazing and this thing flat out flies!  The U.S. car mags quote a 0 to 60 mph time of 5 seconds flat.  All this and a price with most options under $100k.  

I was reading through AMS's article and this looks to be the petrol engine lineup at launch:

• Macan S - 3.0L twin-turbo V6 with 340 hp and 460 Nm of torque
    • Macan Turbo - 3.6L twin-turbo V6 with 400 hp and 550 Nm of torque

The Internet is alight with talk of the 3.6L engine in the Macan Turbo being a boosted version of the VW VR6; AMS is claiming that the MTT's engine is in fact a twin-turbocharged version of the same V6 engine found in the Panamera models.

Exactly what I'm expecting, personally; I don't think Porsche would get away with using a corporate engine instead of one of their own in their flagship model. I'm also thinking Porsche is using their new 3.0L bi-turbo for the Macan S instead of the supercharged Audi lump; if the Touareg-Cayenne alliance is anything to go by, Porsche will source a VW engine for the base Macan and diesels while Porsche will use their own engines for the upper-end petrol models.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Hi Enmanuel!

To be frank I decided it before the (photoshop) pics in the AMS magazine were published ... I know that RRS is one league bigger and 10-15.000 more .... but the BMW X6 will be sold ...  and two Porsches would be the wrong signal to the neighbourhood and to my customers.

... maybe the Range Rover Sport isn't much less dominant ... but it's no Porsche ;-)

Best

Gregor

--

-----------------------------------

991 C4S * BMW X6 4.0d

Sidney:

..  and two Porsches would be the wrong signal to the neighbourhood and to my customers.

... maybe the Range Rover Sport isn't much less dominant ... but it's no Porsche ;-)

You are holding back for social reasons, according to the above.

However, I would consider the Range Rover as more of a plutocrat's car than the Macan. Besides, if I were German and my neighbour or business associate happened to own an expensive car, I would prefer that to be a German car, contributing at least to the national industry and to the national labour market.

Different attitudes. Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Sidney:

Hi Enmanuel!

To be frank I decided it before the (photoshop) pics in the AMS magazine were published ... I know that RRS is one league bigger and 10-15.000 more .... but the BMW X6 will be sold ...  and two Porsches would be the wrong signal to the neighbourhood and to my customers.

Got it. It's a good choice either way, I consider the current RR lineup a very capable and really good product lineup. I've sat in the Evoque and the new Range Rover and both look amazing. I like the interior more than the Cayenne. The RRS follows the same line and with the same quality so you can't go wrong with them. If I could I'd go get a 5 door Evoque right now. 

Enmanuel:
    Sidney:

Hi all!

Just cancelled my Macan order option and ordered a Range Rover Sport.

You're not even going to wait for the official reveal? it's not that far away now. 

Some go for brands and looks, others go for performance. The Macan is for those seeking performance. I will very likely replace my Cayenne GTS with the Macan Turbo or even Turbo S, not sure yet.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    Enmanuel:
    Sidney:

Hi all!

You're not even going to wait for the official reveal? it's not that far away now. 

Some go for brands and looks, others go for performance. The Macan is for those seeking performance. I will very likely replace my Cayenne GTS with the Macan Turbo or even Turbo S, not sure yet.

The RRS is a serious performance SUV.  The Macan is a tarted up Audi Q5.  While a capable SUV, the Macan is more badge engineering from the VW conglomerate. 

cgx, have you pushed on around a sharp bend, going either up or down a hill?  Yes, it's got great straight line speed and sound, but I doubt very much it could ever keep up with a Macan Turbo.  For it could never keep pace with a Cayenne gts. 

CGX car nut:
    RC:
    Enmanuel:
    Sidney:

Hi all!

The RRS is a serious performance SUV.  The Macan is a tarted up Audi Q5.  While a capable SUV, the Macan is more badge engineering from the VW conglomerate. 

And yet the Macan Turbo will run rounds an RRS on a track....

Smiley

Porsche Macan testing in Dubai...

Porsche-Macan_01.jpg

Porsche-Macan_02.jpg

Porsche-Macan_03.jpg

Porsche Macan testing in Dubai -- Gallery Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

sidicks:
    CGX car nut:
    RC:
    Enmanuel:
    Sidney:

Hi all!

Smiley

+1

Even an Audi SQ5 will.... RRS is a nice looking car, but untill they can make a decent multimedia system, I will never even think about one.

Went for a testdrive in an Evoque a year ago and didn't even got off the lot, before I'd decided that it wasn't going to be the car I wanted. It felt like a 10 year old car that looked like a very modern car. And without the surround view system the car is nor driveable for someone that's 5'4,5".  I guess that's a little better with the RRS, because it doesn't have the rediculously high windowline.

But the Macan isn't a competitor for the RRS anyways. Macan = Evoque, Cayenne = Range Rover Sport.

--

Suzy

SuzyF:
    sidicks:
    CGX car nut:
    RC:
    Enmanuel:
    Sidney:

Hi all!

Smiley

+1

Even an Audi SQ5 will.... RRS is a nice looking car, but untill they can make a decent multimedia system, I will never even think about one.

Went for a testdrive in an Evoque a year ago and didn't even got off the lot, before I'd decided that it wasn't going to be the car I wanted. It felt like a 10 year old car that looked like a very modern car. And without the surround view system the car is nor driveable for someone that's 5'4,5".  I guess that's a little better with the RRS, because it doesn't have the rediculously high windowline.

But the Macan isn't a competitor for the RRS anyways. Macan = Evoque, Cayenne = Range Rover Sport.

We looked at the Evoque for my wife - a perfectly good car if your priorities are about being seen in a car rather than driving a car..!!

Van-:

cgx, have you pushed on around a sharp bend, going either up or down a hill?  Yes, it's got great straight line speed and sound, but I doubt very much it could ever keep up with a Macan Turbo.  For it could never keep pace with a Cayenne gts. 

It's more capable than you are suggesting. 

Van-:

…unless you go off-road with it…. Smiley

Seriously, it is just silly to talk of "keeping up with…" and "on a track" when it comes to these utility vehicles.  They are about how they feel and make you feel at normal and legal speeds, the tradeoffs in their packaging of space, and how they become useful in your life (or not).   If there was ever a class of vehicle where performance figures, Ring times etc. were meaningless, this is the one.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

let me say it this way.  The v8 supercharged RRS has tremendous power, but you can't use it around sharp bends, on or off road.  Yes, they have a new electronic diff, and torque vectoring, but they weren't as skilled as Porsche in pulling off body control or the ability to take curves at high rates of speed.   So, if you're driving in canyons with curves, the car will fool you with all of it's acceleration and noise that you can apply that speed into a corner.     My guess is that the upcoming RRS RS will be able to be height adjusted even lower and they will have coordinated their diff and vectoring systems to a greater degree.    Until then,  my money is most likely going to go with the v6, as it has plenty of power and has a closer 50/50 weight balance which you can feel around corners  (close to 400 lbs lighter than the v8).  

SuzyF:

+1

Got to disagree with you on a few points. The upgraded Merdien sound system in the Evoque is one of the best factory fit systems I've ever heard in a car. The head unit interface is a bit clunky but is fairly easy to master. My other half is 5'1" and she managed to drive her Evoque without any problem. I had her car re-mapped by DMS and it was touching 300 bhp and was pretty entertaining to drive as it improved the torque and gave much better acceleration. She loved everything about it apart from the fuel consumption.

As for comments on the RR Sport being slow and not handling on a track I guess those posting have either not driven one or not seen the Top Gear review of it where the Stig drove it around the former F1 venue at Donington Park Smiley

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-season-20-episode-6-20x06_part-1_2433639.htm

ISUK

Got to disagree with you on a few points. The upgraded Merdien sound system in the Evoque is one of the best factory fit systems I've ever heard in a car. The head unit interface is a bit clunky but is fairly easy to master. My other half is 5'1" and she managed to drive her Evoque without any problem. I had her car re-mapped by DMS and it was touching 300 bhp and was pretty entertaining to drive as it improved the torque and gave much better acceleration. She loved everything about it apart from the fuel consumption.

As for comments on the RR Sport being slow and not handling on a track I guess those posting have either not driven one or not seen the Top Gear review of it where the Stig drove it around the former F1 venue at Donington Park Smiley

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-season-20-episode-6-20x06_part-1_2433639.htm

My wife is 5'1" and the 3 door Evoque had almost zero rear visibility for her - the 5-door wasn't that much better.

Comparing a re-mapped car is hardly a fair comparison.

No-one said that the RRS was slow or handled badly, just that it won't handle as well as the Cayenne GTS or new Macan.  Which remains true!

Smiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Smiley SmileySmiley

My sister has an Audi Q3 2.0 TDI Quattro and unfortunately the biggest let down of the car is the cheap interior material and too simple interior design taken from A1. The new A3 has much better interior, in terms of both material quality and design. MMI screen and center dashboard design of the all new A3 is simple yet elegant and high quality. This is not the case with the Q3.

Also, the seating position and the angle of the steering wheel is not like a sport SUV. It is more like a mid-class SUV; more like an A1 with more space and higher ride height. SmileySmiley

Sorry but, it can't be a rival against the upcoming Macan. The Horsepower is not enough alone.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Enmanuel:
    Sidney:

Hi all!

I think Macan and the new Range Rover Sport are 2 completely different cars. First of all, RR Sport is larger, bigger, roomier, more luxurious and upper class.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

SportCarGroup:
    dreamcar:
    CGX car nut:
    Range Rover, currently, leads across the model line in overall design quality that best represents an SUV. 

Range Rover is the best SUV, period.

Gelandewagen G500 bulletproof, period Smiley

--

I heard that in owners manual of G class, it is written that "do not exceed 160 km/h". Smiley

At high speeds, there is too much wind noise and wind itself coming from the doors. Smiley It is completely out of date.

It is a charismatic car but I don't and can't understand how come it is the most expensive SUV in Mercedes Range..

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

Evoque heart

Who would want to buy a car officially endorsed by Victoria Beckhamangry

It shows the targeted clientele 

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Evoque heart

--

"Form follows function"

Seriously. My interest in that car took a spectacular dive when I found out Victoria Beckham was even affiliated with the Evoque's design. Has anyone seen the egotistical smorgasbord that is the VB Special Edition of that car? The press release about it lowered my will to live.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

reginos:

Evoque heart

--

"Form follows function"

Actually, if the price were within my budget, I would buy one for my wife, 5-door diesel model. I once test drove it and find the ride very decent for what it is, a small SUV. I like the interior design and all-leather dash, steering etc. Also like the exterior and compact looks, but definately prefer 5-door body.

Unfortunately, with the latest tax increase, it is over 100K Euro here in Turkey. 2.0L petrol engine is much cheaper, around 80K euro because of the lower taxes but petrol engine noticeably consumes more and has high depreciation when it comes to selling.

BTW, The RR Sport prices start from 170K euro. SmileySmileySmiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

rulesdontapply:
    reginos:

Evoque heart

--

"Form follows function"

Seriously. My interest in that car took a spectacular dive when I found out Victoria Beckham was even affiliated with the Evoque's design. Has anyone seen the egotistical smorgasbord that is the VB Special Edition of that car? The press release about it lowered my will to live.

rulesdontapply

I wouldn't care less about whom advertise the car. It is still the same car and I don't buy cars because of their good advertisement campaigns. I would still love and buy my 458 evenif George Michael had advertised it. SmileySmiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

George Michael also drives Range Rover. I read that he is often picked up by Police in one indecision

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

George Michael also drives Range Rover. I read that he is often picked up by Police in one indecision

SmileySmileySmiley

That was good Smiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

In Miami, the Range Rover has become some sort of a Volks-SUV for the wealthy. This is what the Range Rover is: A luxury, comfort oriented, SUV with good looks and a very nice interior. My wife doesn't like it though, she says it looks like a box but personally, I really like the Range Rover. However, it is a different type of SUV than the Macan or even the Cayenne. Speaking of Miami, I saw TONS of Cayenne but mostly, now hold your breath, V6. C'mon, who would get a Cayenne V6? Which brings me back to the typical SUV buyer crowd: It is a status symbol at some point.

For me, a Cayenne or even the Macan are FUN cars. Fun cars I can move my family in too. A Range Rover is not for me, too comfy, too luxurious, not my type of car, sorry. I also doubt that any serious RR buyer would consider a Macan and vice versa.

The Macan is a cheap(er) possibility for me to drive a Porsche SUV without paying 140k EUR for a well equipped Cayenne Turbo. The Macan Turbo will cost me 100k EUR at max (at least I hope so) and it will be pretty fast, faster than my more expensive (125k EUR) Cayenne GTS. This is what counts for me. I am going to miss the sound of the GTS for sure but I realized that while the GTS is fun in the city and on country roads, on the Autobahn, especially when fully loaded, the GTS isn't as much fun as expected. The Macan Turbo is rumored to do 0-100 kph in 4.7 seconds and 0-200 kph in under 18 seconds, so it would be perfect. The size of the trunk could be a problem but the rear seats are OK since we usually take the kids with us in the rear, not adults.

Or to make it short: I really don't think that we should compare the Macan with RR and speaking of the Evoque...well...this car is a joke. It has been styled to attract attention but driving it is no fun. Had a rental Evoque for a couple of days and all I can say is that it drives like...sh.t. angry Compared to my wife's X3 35d. I won't even compare it to the Cayenne GTS because these two cars are WORLDS apart and I am not talking about the engine.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    783251 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    443167 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263588 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    262149 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86215 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6064 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881899 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    820788 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM