Forum - Thread

Re: BMW 2 Series

Here's one (turn away RC) - Octavia vRS

--

Gen II Cayman S

GR:

Here's one (turn away RC) - Octavia vRS

Hmmmm -  his and her Octavia's ?Smiley Lacks a bit of imagination somehow and if it ever got out that we had two Skodas I'm sure RC would kick me out of Rennteam.....Smiley

Whatever we get has got to be right for SWMBO's frame, we're torn between a hot hatch, or an SUV, (the more upright seating position would be easier for her as would the height of the vehicle aid visibility) sadly I don't think we will be in a position to justify the cost of a Macan. 

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Fair enough,

I guess this is a no, no too:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=28735

It made me laugh so much

--

Gen II Cayman S

GR:

Fair enough,

It made me laugh so much

GR you are a genius! that is THE car! Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

GR:

Fair enough,

It made me laugh so much

Smiley That is so cool!! Especially with all that scaffolding on top if the car! I would've liked to see the face of that M5 driver....Smiley

--

Suzy

Enmanuel:

BMW-M235i_Coupe_2014_1280x960_wallpaper_0e.jpg

Overall nice design, if not that ugly fin has been placed on the roof. But ugly! Has the desinger just lost his marbles at that moment?

Totally unimaginative, BMW really need to employ the services of a gifted styling team.

The ship could do a coat of paint - but it does distract from the boring styling of the car!

--

I think it looks quite pretty. Certainly more Kiera Knightly than Natalie Portman, but if they provide the right incentive, I might be persuaded to take a small cc petrol cab when it arrives.

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

dreamcar:

Whatever we get has got to be right for SWMBO's frame, we're torn between a hot hatch, or an SUV, (the more upright seating position would be easier for her as would the height of the vehicle aid visibility) sadly I don't think we will be in a position to justify the cost of a Macan. 

how about an Alfa Guiletta?

Or a BMW 3 series GT?

sfo:
    dreamcar:

Or a BMW 3 series GT?

3 series GT possible as is the 3 series touring, on the list. Smiley

--

I sat in a 3 GT on Sunday .. looks good and interior is spacious and the foot print for the car not excessive.

Alpina 3 Series.  The steering is not up to much but the ride and handling are good.  The B3 is very fast too.  D3 should be on our shore in the very near future. 

--

Gen II Cayman S

sfo:

As much as I used to love Alfas, until they start building proper Alfas, rather than badge engineered Fiats and reintroduce decent enthusiastic dealers here in the UK sadly I won't be going near the marque.Smiley

At least the 4C is a step in the right direction, but a sports car won't be an option for us sadly. Smiley

--

dreamcar:

As much as I used to love Alfas, until they start building proper Alfas, rather than badge engineered Fiats and reintroduce decent enthusiastic dealers here in the UK sadly I won't be going near the marque.Smiley

At least the 4C is a step in the right direction, but a sports car won't be an option for us sadly. Smiley

understand your hesitation .. but I do like the design of the Guiletta.

how about a used C63 AMG coupe or a used SLK 55 AMG (R171, available around £25k or less) Smiley

sfo:
    dreamcar:

understand your hesitation .. but I do like the design of the Guiletta.

how about a used C63 AMG coupe or a used SLK 55 AMG (R171, available around £25k or lessSmiley

Sports car sadly a no-go, if it was we'd keep the 997 indefinitely. SWMBO is likely to need a double hip replacement in the next year or so, this will permanently exclude sports cars due to the low seating position. Hence the SUV line of thought even though there is only two of us so we don't need something the size of a large shed. Problem there is the smaller SUV's such as the Audi Q3 or BMW X1 are not that good, the BMW X3 is probably the best realistically priced one.

Yes Guilietta is a nice looking car, no doubt about it.Smiley

--

dreamcar:

Hence the SUV line of thought even though there is only two of us so we don't need something the size of a large shed.

Skoda Yeti !!!!

Facelift out or soon to be out.

Love the panoramic roof on it, and it's boxy looks.

sfo:
    dreamcar:

Hence the SUV line of thought even though there is only two of us so we don't need something the size of a large shed.

Skoda Yeti !!!!

Facelift out or soon to be out.

Love the panoramic roof on it, and it's boxy looks.

You'll likely get banned if Himself thinks you are serious......Smiley Smiley I only just got away with it after I bought the latest Octavia as my daily drive....Smiley

Joking aside, we are after something that has decent performance and is good to drive so that we can continue to enjoy touring holidays to keep me happy, and something that is comfortable, has good visibility, automatic, and a good driving position for She Who Must Be Obeyed. 

A Macan would fit the bill nicely, but a decently equipped one is likely to be around £55k..... And we have other priorities now other than throwing ££££££ at another expensive to buy, and run, car. 

--

sounds like 3 GT with adaptive M sport suspension is the best bet ...

SciFrog:

They still design cars with stick in the center console in 2013? Amazing...

Well, Land Rover tried to get rid of it, with the Jag hockey puck in the new full size RR; and lots hated it.... So the new Range Rover Sport has.... a stick again.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

dreamcar:
    we are after something that has decent performance and is good to drive so that we can continue to enjoy touring holidays to keep me happy, and something that is comfortable, has good visibility, automatic, and a good driving position for She Who Must Be Obeyed. 

Mercedes GLA is what you need!

sfo:
    dreamcar:
    we are after something that has decent performance and is good to drive so that we can continue to enjoy touring holidays to keep me happy, and something that is comfortable, has good visibility, automatic, and a good driving position for She Who Must Be Obeyed. 

Mercedes GLA is what you need!

Hmm - looks interesting, I'll add it to the short list, thanks for the tip Smiley

--

Spent most of today visiting showrooms looking for a suitable replacement for both our 997 and SWMBO's  Honda Jazz, tried various SUV's ( including the Range Rover Evoque, BMW X3, and Audi Q3 and Q5,and have decided the step up into them will be too much of a stretch for her - thinking post double hip replacement - also SUV's are much bigger than we really need. Whilst in the Audi showroom we tried the latest S3 Sportback in S Tronic guise, and were hugely impressed with it, certainly a massive improvement in almost every way over the BMW M135i. The dealer is going to get us one for a longer test drive, but S3 could well fit what we are looking for.

--

Dreamcar,

Audi RSQ3? You know it makes sense.

dreamcar:

Spent most of today visiting showrooms looking for a suitable replacement for both our 997 and SWMBO's  Honda Jazz, tried various SUV's ( including the Range Rover Evoque, BMW X3, and Audi Q3 and Q5,and have decided the step up into them will be too much of a stretch for her - thinking post double hip replacement - also SUV's are much bigger than we really need. Whilst in the Audi showroom we tried the latest S3 Sportback in S Tronic guise, and were hugely impressed with it, certainly a massive improvement in almost every way over the BMW M135i. The dealer is going to get us one for a longer test drive, but S3 could well fit what we are looking for.

If you don't have a specific need for ground clearance, 4WD, towing etc. why buy SUV? Such car will be by definition heavier and more expensive to buy and run, the handling even in the best of the kind is not absolutely perfect, fuel bills will be larger (weight and aerodynamics), CO2 will be more and you will need tyres and brakes more often than in a normal car.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

If you don't have a specific need for ground clearance, 4WD, towing etc. why buy SUV? Such car will be by definition heavier and more expensive to buy and run, the handling even in the best of the kind is not absolutely perfect, fuel bills will be larger (weight and aerodynamics), CO2 will be more and you will need tyres and brakes more often than in a normal car.

Exactly right. Smiley

The main reason for considering them was for the upright driving position for SWMBO, and the high driving position for better visibility, but having tried several we came to just that conclusion and eliminated them from the list. Additional to that SWMBO does mainly short journeys, and that's the kiss of death for diesels and the DPF system. Petrol SUV's would be as costly to run - possibly even more so - than the 997.

Pole position at the moment is the Audi S3, cannot believe how much better it is to drive and how much higher quality it is than the BMW M135i. My Skoda Octavia has a better quality feel than the BMW.

--

Woolfe:

Dreamcar,

Audi RSQ3? You know it makes sense.

Hi Woolfe - as outlined in my reply to reginos, SUV's not the right vehicle for us, we know that now.Smiley

After our disastrous and ruinously expensive debacle with the Cayman S three years ago where, with the aid of our local Porsche dealer we got the spec totally wrong we are taking our time and lots of care to get the choice right now, hence trying various widely different models to ensure that - hopefully - we get it right now.

The 997 has been wonderful and we've really enjoyed owning it, but with SWMBO's deteriorating hips it has to go, the seating position is becoming unbearable for her. There will be tears in the eyes when it has gone, that's for sure - even if not as many as when we parted with our much beloved cobalt Boxster S. Smiley

--

Hey Dreamcar, I remember the photos of your Boxster, beautiful colour. Good luck with your search and enjoy all the test drives. I drove a A45 AMG the other day. Just sayin.wink

Woolfe:

Hey Dreamcar, I remember the photos of your Boxster, beautiful colour. Good luck with your search and enjoy all the test drives. I drove a A45 AMG the other day. Just sayin.wink

Thanks Woolfe Smiley Smiley

--

Woolfe:

Hey Dreamcar, I remember the photos of your Boxster, beautiful colour.......

Indeed Woolfe, the best car we have ever owned, the spec was perfect and the car was perfect and truly part of the family - why ever did we sell it? Smiley

1383572158425image.jpg

--

My wife has found her sedan to just sit too low. Born with congenital hip dysplasia, even a couple of hip replacement operations (both on the same side) cannot actually replace hip bone that just is not there. 

Have not really found any vehicle that seems to suit, but will follow your pursuit with great interest. 

EDIT: I did have a great time at the last auto show trying out sitting in as many cars as she could tolerate.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    812529 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    452795 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    272894 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91954 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8955 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

891118 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    849866 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM