Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

Guy:

Girl on car forum - usual chronology runs as follows:

1. Girls posts about liking cars.

2. All men on forum start engaging respectfully, but really think 'what a girl, she likes cars, maybe is rich and beautiful - I am in heaven'

3. Girl either turns out to be 14 year-old boy or gets bored of thinly veiled chat-up lines and goes away.

Seen it a few times, can be quite funny to watch....

Don't worry...she is real. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I tend to be rather a reader than a poster, but could we/you/everybody get back to the main topic (quote **Official: 991 Turbo and Turbo S**unquote) ? What about some pics of your car and the hotel at lake garda ?Smiley

Guys, just remember it was a man's world----until Eve came along...

d997h:

I tend to be rather a reader than a poster, but could we/you/everybody get back to the main topic (quote **Official: 991 Turbo and Turbo S**unquote) ? What about some pics of your car and the hotel at lake garda ?Smiley

I totally agree Smiley

Let's get back to talking about cars instead if me. That feels a lot more comfortable. Thank you Smiley

--

Suzy

SuzyF:

Let's get back to talking about cars instead if me. That feels a lot more comfortable. Thank you Smiley

That was kind of my point, in that was merely an observation on how off-track these discussions can go, not a claim or reference to you particularly..... :)

ok,so i must stay with my GT3 RS order or change to a Turbo S?

hahahahheart

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Super Darius:

hahahahheart

That's a good one... I think only you can decide that. Two completely different cars. It depends on what the purpose is, to decide which is the best for you.

Daily driver: Turbo S, Weekend-toy/Track car: GT3RS

--

Suzy

SuzyF:

That is indeed a very digital decision - full stop, because I would agree 100%. I just have the aerokit "on board" and know, that no matter how I take the ramp down to my local supermarket, I will scratch the front lip - not hard, but noticable. So, unless one is convinced to have enough ground clearance for dd, then a GT3RS (I assume, again no front lift available) may be a good choice. Further, I would argue, that if one has owned (and experienced) a Turbo, anything else would just be a nice distraction for some time...Given the reports and the excellent test results now available on/for the Turbo S and if the budget would allow, I would certainly go for it.

SuzyF:

Weekend toy...for this i choose the RS,but also the Turbo S is tempting,due i love my former 997TT and "her" turbo engine...

Till i will never see the RS i will have this doubt,hope that will look/perform  so "emotional" to delete turbos from my mind.Smiley

--

This is quite unique! Don't like it personally, but cool to see that some ppl want to differentiate smiley

porsche-991-turbo-s-c599725102013171849_2.jpg

porsche-991-turbo-s-c599725102013171849_4.jpg

Nice to see another woman behind the wheel of a 991 Turbo S. Too bad she has no taste regarding those yellow accents. angry It's certainly unique....

Oh well... Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder 

--

Suzy

Whow...a bit too much that yellow,but she is blonde and she love yellow...Smiley  

--

The yellow accents don't look tasteful in my opinion. There are other ways if you want to add something special but maybe the yellow has something to do with the car owner's business. Or it is a loaner/dealer car.

Regarding the 991 Turbo S as a daily driver and the 991 GT3 RS as a weekend car: The GT3 RS is more of a track toy in my opinion. On public roads, the Turbo S is safer to drive with, especially considering the tires on the GT3 RS (a little bit of rain, low temps or even dust/dirt on the road and the fun could turn ugly). Don't forget that on public roads, there isn't much of an error margin (room) available. On the other hand, one would probably be slower in a RS on a public road due to the latter, so maybe it would actually add safety.  Difficult to say.

No doubt, the RS will be the more special car and probably attract also more attention but then, there is winter time and this means the RS would need to stay in the garage a couple of months. Difficult.

I really think that if someone needs to decide on what to get, the Turbo S or the RS, the RS is the wrong car. Somebody who really wants the RS and somebody who really understands the limitations, would never opt for the Turbo. Just my two cents on this...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I really think that if someone needs to decide on what to get, the Turbo S or the RS, the RS is the wrong car. Somebody who really wants the RS and somebody who really understands the limitations, would never opt for the Turbo. Just my two cents on this...

--

Yes,in fact after 996TT and 997TT i whant something more fun,more esclusive,more that also looking it in the garage let me be happy.

i hope the RS will be something really particolar and the more will be extreme the more i will like it.

Sure the turbo would be the easiest solution,is fast,looks great,and i'm sure is right for me too,but my fear is that after 6 months and with the use i do with it,will become like my former Cayenne Turbo...a special car,but not so special for me.

i know the car really right for me would be a 991 GT2,but first will not come soon,and second but more important,is for sure out of my budget...so...is like it doesn't exist.Smiley

So good luck to me.Smiley

Fortunately these are not real problems....Smiley

--

SuzyF:
    Super Darius:

hahahahheart

That's a good one... I think only you can decide that. Two completely different cars. It depends on what the purpose is, to decide which is the best for you.

Yes please! Smiley

--

- HS (Belgium)  -  '14 Porsche 991 GT3 (oct build) - '06 BMW 335I Coupe  

RC:

The yellow accents don't look tasteful in my opinion. There are other ways if you want to add something special but maybe the yellow has something to do with the car owner's business. Or it is a loaner/dealer car.

Regarding the 991 Turbo S as a daily driver and the 991 GT3 RS as a weekend car: The GT3 RS is more of a track toy in my opinion. On public roads, the Turbo S is safer to drive with, especially considering the tires on the GT3 RS (a little bit of rain, low temps or even dust/dirt on the road and the fun could turn ugly). Don't forget that on public roads, there isn't much of an error margin (room) available. On the other hand, one would probably be slower in a RS on a public road due to the latter, so maybe it would actually add safety.  Difficult to say.

No doubt, the RS will be the more special car and probably attract also more attention but then, there is winter time and this means the RS would need to stay in the garage a couple of months. Difficult.

--

I just returned home and now saw the SportAuto Supertest of the GT3 (and also the lap times of the turbo s in Hockenheim). Based on this I would not see any reason to get a 991GT3RS - it appears that even the RS might be slower than the 991 turbo s. And the turbo is on regular tires...

No doubt - from the current Porsche range the turbo s is the best choice (if the price is Ok for the buyer) Smiley

Super Darius:

i know the car really right for me would be a 991 GT2,but first will not come soon,and second but more important,is for sure out of my budget...so...is like it doesn't exist.Smiley

The recent edition of AMS had an overview of all new cars expected for 2014 (usually this overview is quite reliable). There was no 991 GT2 in there... 

MKSGR:

No doubt - from the current Porsche range the turbo s is the best choice (if the price is Ok for the buyer) Smiley

Surely that depends on what you want from your car.  As RC said, the Turbo S is very fast and very neutral.  It appears that the GT3 has a livelier feel but is not quite as quick. The RS will presumably be a bit livelier and a bit quicker.  Some people might be happy to trade off a bit off little outright speed for feel of the GT3RS.  It strikes me that the Turbo S is the best all rounder in the Porsche range and the GT3RS will be the best weekend toy.

--

Gen II Cayman S

GR:
    MKSGR:

Surely that depends on what you want from your car.  As RC said, the Turbo S is very fast and very neutral.  It appears that the GT3 has a livelier feel but is not quite as quick. The RS will presumably be a bit livelier and a bit quicker.  Some people might be happy to trade off a bit off little outright speed for feel of the GT3RS.  It strikes me that the Turbo S is the best all rounder in the Porsche range and the GT3RS will be the best weekend toy.

I see your point, however, how many people would you say would pick a GT3 with its slightly more rewarding driving experience knowing the car will be outperformed by the turbo S in each and every (!) situation --- IF the price was the same for GT3 and turbo S... You see my point. I would rather get a classic Porsche and enjoy that special feeling instead of owing a GT3 and being killed by turbo S drivers all the time on the track (maybe not so much after 10 laps or  so, but before that). At least, you then signal clearly that you are out for driving experience and not for best lap times. It will be less embaressing to be blown away by a turbo s in a classical Porsche than in a brand new GT3 Smiley

MKSGR:
    Super Darius:

The recent edition of AMS had an overview of all new cars expected for 2014 (usually this overview is quite reliable). There was no 991 GT2 in there... 

According to all rumors I heard so far, a GT2 won't be available since the real world performance vs the Turbo S would be practically the same. The GT2 just doesn't make sense anymore. Or to use the words of an engineer involved in 991 Turbo S development: The car has become really good, we don't know how(!) but it seems everything seems to work just perfectly and this doesn't always happen with all developments. I couldn't agree more.

--

MKSGR:
    GR:
    MKSGR:

I see your point, however, how many people would you say would pick a GT3 with its slightly more rewarding driving experience knowing the car will be outperformed by the turbo S in each and every (!) situation --- IF the price was the same for GT3 and turbo S... You see my point. I would rather get a classic Porsche and enjoy that special feeling instead of owing a GT3 and being killed by turbo S drivers all the time on the track (maybe not so much after 10 laps or  so, but before that). At least, you then signal clearly that you are out for driving experience and not for best lap times. It will be less embaressing to be blown away by a turbo s in a classical Porsche than in a brand new GT3 Smiley

There they made a mistake IMHO. 

Ok, the price is NOT the same but this has never been the case. 

Personally I think it's a shame the new GT3 is no longer the 'benchmark'(on the track) and the Turbo S took over. A GT car has to be IMO faster than the Turbo(S). Smiley With faster I mean 'on track', the Turbo (S) used to own the streets in a more luxurious manner.

All said I still am very happy with my order I really wouldn't want to trade it to a Turbo(S). I used to drive a 997 Turbo for more than 10000 km's and the Porsche Turbo cars are extremely fast but not in the way I enjoy it the most. The steering was good but the response of the throttle or gear changes, oh boy. Smiley

Seriously I wouldn't even want to trade a €60.000 more expensive Turbo S to the GT3 (If I couldn't sell it and keep the premium ofcourse Smiley ) This said that I haven't even driven it. Just the fact that it does not rev to 9000 RPM. This is it for me the ultimate car. I need that emotion. Even though it's not faster anymore. 

--

- HS (Belgium)  -  '14 Porsche 991 GT3 (oct build) - '06 BMW 335I Coupe  

I'd also pick the GT3 over the Turbo S.  That their lap times are a few seconds apart in the hands of professional drivers is of no relevance to what I want from the car.  For me being on track is about doing the best I can do and enjoying the experience.  What other people are achieving is irrelevant because comparing lap times for different cars with different specs (tyres, suspension geometry, power upgrades) is just an exercise in futility.  If being fastest is important and you have the skill to achieve that then you do not want a stock Porsche of any description - some motorsport mods will do wonders for lap time.

--

Gen II Cayman S

Whoever drives on the trsck wants to have fun and fun can be defined in different ways, I agree.

Also, like I said before, not many Turbo S drivers will drive their cars on the track and even less with UHP tires.

Regarding the track performance of the Turbo S, I think that the developers not only did a great job but also got lucky that the whole package "delivers" that well.

--

RC did u option for the Steering Wheel stitching if yes please some pic     :)

SuzyF:
    d997h:

I totally agree Smiley

Uh, is that you in your new avatar?  Wow.

RC:
    MKSGR:
    Super Darius:

According to all rumors I heard so far, a GT2 won't be available since the real world performance vs the Turbo S would be practically the same. The GT2 just doesn't make sense anymore. Or to use the words of an engineer involved in 991 Turbo S development: The car has become really good, we don't know how(!) but it seems everything seems to work just perfectly and this doesn't always happen with all developments. I couldn't agree more.

This makes a lot of sense, with so few 997 GT2 being sold ~1220 units worldwide, the demand is low for this kind of model. The turbo S will be near impossible to beat on most metrics as traction becomes the problem at these levels of torque and 2WD is always going to struggle.  

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

I bought a new 997GT2 in 2008, since at that point as compared to the 997TT it was faster and handled much better.

If I were making the same decision today, given how good the new 991TTS is, I'd definitely go for the Turbo instead of a GT2, even if it had 30-50hp more. The Turbo now handles - end of.

They will make the GT2 AWD. Voila... Take the 991 turbo S, add 40hp and some more aggressive aero, reduce the weight some... Add 50k to the price Done. Maximum margins and halo car. Win-win.

After all they did replace manual by PDK in GT3... And as mentioned in another thread, very high power 2WD are having problems putting the power down.

TB993tt:
    RC:
    MKSGR:
    Super Darius:

This makes a lot of sense, with so few 997 GT2 being sold ~1220 units worldwide, the demand is low for this kind of model. The turbo S will be near impossible to beat on most metrics as traction becomes the problem at these levels of torque and 2WD is always going to struggle.  

Don´t worry, Porsche willl make a 991 GT2 faster than TurboS on any circuit.

J.Sevenn

J.Seven:

Don´t worry, Porsche willl make a 991 GT2 faster than TurboS on any circuit.

That would be my guess too - any circuit, except a wet one that is Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752940 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430621 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258555 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255438 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868218 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801752 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM