Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Range Rover Sport

These Brits know how to do it classy Smiley,it's the kind of car that will grow up on us with time and Harry Metcalf has a class of his own, together with C.Harris, he is the best out there, always loved his down to hearth car reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Igcxc2YBpBU

J.Seven

Re: New Range Rover Sport

Top Gear did a review of this recently. Impressive performance both off road and on the track, and decent looks as well.

If I buy a car next 12 months this is the one...

I'm really liking the current range rover lineup. Every time I see an Evoque in the road my brain instantly switches to "I want that" mode. 

I love mine. I'm so glad I went for it instead of a Cayenne. The Porsche no doubt has the edge in terms of outright on road handling but who really uses that last 10% in this type of car in normal driving? The RRS is far more comfortable and genuinely relaxing to drive. It makes you feel like you could cover massive distances and barely notice you'd been at the wheel for hours. It's ride quality and overall refinement is superb. I'd agree with Harry about the interior as well. It feels more than a class above the Cayenne and is a lovely place to travel in.

Sport 002.JPG

Your car looks great, what engine do you have? These are 22" right? How's the comfort on those? I've a RR Vogue and I might switch to 2014RRS next year.

J.Seven

I have the SDV6 diesel and the wheels are the 21" Style 16 option. The ride comfort is fantastic. You barely feel ordinary surface imperfections in the road. It's funny as I was out for a drive around the Cotswolds on Saturday and was near to Gaydon which is JLR's engineering centre. I passed three disguised RR development cars plus a disguised new Jaguar F type coupe and the drivers of all of them were just as interested in my car as I was in theirs as the RRS is an uncommon sight on the roads just now smiley

Can you post some interior pics? And some from outside too SmileyThanks in advance.

J.Seven

I'll need to take some photo's of it as I've not got round to that as yet. These are some I took in the showroom.

1381180761136photo.JPG

image (1).jpeg

I saw one in person this past weekend in Chile and I have one word to describe the new RRS "STUNNINGSmiley.

--
    Happy Driving

Theres so much of "the good kind" of envy going around RT lately. Many members getting new toys, such an exciting thing !!

Beautiful, congrats Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

It's a very nice car inside but I just can't get over the fact that the outside looks like a Ford Explorer :(

--

I went for a test drive 2 weeks ago. I tried the SDV6 and then the V6 supercharged .

I was impressed by the general built quality and inside look .... but ended up disappointed by the driving experience . Maybe I had far too many expectations , specially from the SDV6 .

I was really looking froward to the SDV6 as I like the idea of big torque and lower fuel consumption on a family car .

But.... as all other diesels I have tried, It was so booooring   Nothing happens . Yes, it accelerated well, but you can't even feel it . The gear change at 2500  so it is just a very linear acceleration  . Very disappointing. Maybe I need to try the upcoming diesel V8 or the hybrid.

The V6 supercharged felt much better . A bit more nervous, you can feel the boost of the supercharger, the car felt ' lighter' , even if it is not, and just felt more dynamic with the engine. I  liked it better . But the fuel consumption also was then much, much higher as I made full usage of the throttle most of the time .

I did not want to try the V8 supercharged, as I am looking for a family DD to transport the kids around, so I do not need the  + 500 HP 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Iain, did you get the extended rear seat option? If so, is it remotely usable? TIA

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

No, it wasn't available at the time I got my car.

I've been waiting quite some time for the RRS, and was disappointed after test driving the v8.  It wasn't even close to the road hugging ability of the Cayenne GTS.   You could feel the torque vectoring and differential turn the car, but it still pushed in the corners at much lower speeds than the gts.  It's too bad that the v6 doesn't come with (here in the US) with the dynamic package (torque vec and diff) as the nearly 400 pounds weight increase of the v8 over the v6 might have something to do with it's cornering ability.  I have a month to month rental of a Jeep Grand Cherokee (as I was waiting to pick up the RRS)  that I think can take corners faster with it's v6.    I think the RS version which will out hopefully in less than a year is the one to wait for.  I bet they'll figure out a way to lower it at least another couple of inches.    In the meantime I'm putting an order in for the the new x5 with with dynamic handling package...

I don't think it is quite fair to compare to the Cayenne GTS handling. More fair to see how it fares vs the turbo version...

I would be surprised if the RRS is much worse than the X5 in handling (or was it the X5M version).

Anyhow because the RRS has 3 rows, you almost can't compare it directly to the Cayenne. I would love to see what a 100hp electric plug in coupled with a 300hp V6 diesel could do, but it doesn't look that it will happen.

Hi,  I don't see why it's not fair to compare?  They make mention in their marketing of the GTS.   But maybe you're mentioning  the GTS and the Turbo in relative terms of feeling the additional couple hundred pounds over the front tires?  I had the first Cayenne turbo.  I thought I loved it until I drove it repeatedly through the winding mountains with sharp turns, up and down on long commutes.  Eventually that feeling of understeer or pushing through turns due to weight, a high cg, or body roll takes the fun out of spirited driving for me.  Especially when you go through tires in the front due to a lot of weight up front.    I just think that when the RRS puts 510 hp under the hood that they should compliment their straight line speed with cornering ability.    I understand that most drivers don't live where I do and straight line driving will be their norm.   So it's really about spending 100 K and not getting what I want.   Again, I'd bet the RS version will satisfy my needs ( except for gas mileage).  

The Cayenne GTS is in its own class as far as handling. It is also more than 15% more expensive than the RRS supercharged. However I am much more interested in comparing the handling of the Cayenne turbo and the RRS supercharged.

When I want sports-car handling I don't buy a truck. 

Just sayin'

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

I get it, I have a 991 2s.   But I also think, as in the GTS you can have your cake and eat it too.  

Van-:

I get it, I have a 991 2s.   But I also think, as in the GTS you can have your cake and eat it too.  

I love the GTS, but depending on where you live the more relaxed setup of the RR could be very beneficial. And the sporty character of the GTS a detriment. I for example would love to get a small sporty sedan as my next car but I know a small SUV is probably the better choice for where I live and what I do. Compromise. 

Here's my bet,  their upcoming Macan will hit the nail on the head, in terms of driving satisfaction mixed with a good deal of suv  characteristics, like upright seating position, visibility and cargo capacity..   Although I doubt it will pull my two horse trailer safely.     More and more I'm finding that to drive my 991 at 5/10th's is simply not rewarding enough,, I'd rather drive my sub and have fun taking it to it's limit at speed limit,, at the same time of enjoying the comfort of a larger vehicle.  The same was even more true when I had a 458,, to not be able to really use it without risking losing your license....

"When I want sports-car handling I don't buy a truck"

LOL Mithras!

Mithras:

Just sayin'

So where do you put the luggage, your wife and the kids? Smiley

As a sports car driver, I want to have the sportiest feeling possible in a SUV too. 

I don't get it: Driving a sports car and then a super comfy and "detached" SUV would drive me crazy. Testdrove a couple of RR in the past and none of them made me happy. Especially the steering sucks. Also, the RR interior looks elegant (a word I cannot stand), so I prefer the less elegant but pretty sporty looking Cayenne interior. To each his own I guess. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    Mithras:

Just sayin'

So where do you put the luggage, your wife and the kids? Smiley

As a sports car driver, I want to have the sportiest feeling possible in a SUV too. 

I don't get it: Driving a sports car and then a super comfy and "detached" SUV would drive me crazy. Testdrove a couple of RR in the past and none of them made me happy. Especially the steering sucks. Also, the RR interior looks elegant (a word I cannot stand), so I prefer the less elegant but pretty sporty looking Cayenne interior. To each his own I guess. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Smiley

The new RR are "supposed" to be much better handling RC...

SciFrog:

The new RR are "supposed" to be much better handling RC...

I drove the new Ranger Rover and the Range Rover Sport and while I have to admit that they look really good, the steering is still far away from the Cayenne GTS or even Turbo steering. It feels even worse (less sporty, less direct) than the steering in my wife's X3 35d. It is understandable, these cars address a different type of customer in my opinion. Probably the type of customer who would prefer a Mercedes S class over the Panamera for example.

I haven't driven the supercharged top models though, so maybe they have a different steering setup.

The interior looks very elegant and very nice, no doubt about it but I'm not that much into elegant stuff. Jeans and elegant don't mix well. Smiley

--

The supercharged has a dynamic handling package unique to this model... There is also a rumor of a more sporty model in the works...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752939 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430616 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258547 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255434 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868210 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801748 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM