Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid - Most powerful Panamera (2017)

My dealer has a new Turbo S in stock but unfortunately it was damaged in the dealership (wheel fell of tire rack...). Could probably snatch it for a good discount but still too expensive for me.

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

What I like about this car: It is pretty stealth, looks like a normal e hybrid and most people will actually think it is one. Good for the owner. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

If Audi doesn't make a mistake of putting a V6 in the new RS7, that would be a good alternative. Always liked the shape of the original A7 and glad they kept it that way. 

The Audis have a new generation interior now as well. Looks decent, but not as good as the concept.

AP911:

If Audi doesn't make a mistake of putting a V6 in the new RS7, that would be a good alternative. Always liked the shape of the original A7 and glad they kept it that way. 

They already ruined the RS5...let's hope they don't do the same mistake with the new RS6/RS7.

According to my dealer, the RS5 barely sells. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Car is out in the wild for a while now, why there are no real instrumented tests of the Turbo S anywhere, not only US mags but even Euro publications are silent too?

Because it is a very very expensive niche product that not many care about? angry

Because it's expensive, but not cool or exotic.

absent:

Car is out in the wild for a while now, why there are no real instrumented tests of the Turbo S anywhere, not only US mags but even Euro publications are silent too?

There is one in the most recent edition of Sportauto: 0-200 in 11.7s, 1.11,7 lap time on HHR. Specs seem Ok, though. The test is not overly optimistic though - car seems to feel too heavy and also boring, based on Sportauto.

Heavy and boring was Gen 1 Panamera TT. Didn’t they improved some in Gen 2?

MKSGR:
    absent:

There is one in the most recent edition of Sportauto: 0-200 in 11.7s, 1.11,7 lap time on HHR. Specs seem Ok, though. The test is not overly optimistic though - car seems to feel too heavy and also boring, based on Sportauto.

Smiley I didn't expect more. The Turbo S is a technological marvel but overpriced (for the performance). I get the appeal of such a car though, had the older Panamera Turbo S myself but it gets boring fast and yes, you can feel the weight, the driving feels even more "artificial" than in the Cayenne.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

It's true the car is not generating all the internet buzz expected for a car like this (i.e. the web is full of FF or RS6 content, hello PR/MKT team). And IIRC Whoopsy's feedback in regards Panamera TTS was all praise for the.car, not precisely boring.

Imho adding electric motors to the power train at a top performance level is a clever move by Porsche. It's at least one gen ahead of its competitors (RS6, E63, M5, etc. despite its ¿longer? wheelbase).

SciFrog:

Heavy and boring was Gen 1 Panamera TT. Didn’t they improved some in Gen 2?

They added about 400kg of weight for the Turbo S by giving it a complicated drivetrain so what to expect? My extended test drive of the Panamera 4 E-hybrid confirmed that the hybrid integration is just not very impressive. I'd take the petrol only version or look elsewhere for that kind of money they ask for the Turbo S.

The Urus engine could come in the new RS6/7 (650 Ps, 850 nm) why not pana Turbo s? Saves 200+ kg.

ive:

The Urus engine could come in the new RS6/7 (650 Ps, 850 nm) why not pana Turbo s? Saves 200+ kg.

And lose out on the instant torque injection from the electric motors?

Or the advantage of not needed to pay to go into congestion zones? Or the gas saving advantage of electric mode in traffic?

--

I know, but Some prefer the 1 or the other. 

Car and Driver just tested the Sport Turismo version.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-porsche-panamera-turbo-s-e-hybrid-sport-turismo-first-drive-review

That's just driving impressions, I want to see a full instrumented test to see the real numbers not factory "estimates"

sport_auto_-_porsche_panamera_turbo_s_e-hybrid (4).jpgabsent:

That's just driving impressions, I want to see a full instrumented test to see the real numbers not factory "estimates"

Thanks - Very interesting verdict. Funny wise I think I understand him saying that he enjoy city-electric mode the most in this car. Also that he says that this car doesnt feel sporty at all - make sense. But hey - why would you judge a Limousine with the metrics of a sports car in the first place? mail

Yeah but his verdict is the same impression that i got at my test drive. Very unemotional and you feel the heavy weight.

hunterone:

Yeah but his verdict is the same impression that i got at my test drive. Very unemotional and you feel the heavy weight.

Thats what I'm saying. Thats what you should expect when driving a big limousine. I owned 3 Seven Series. Amazing long-distance car, even kind of fast and agile (had already rear wheel steering). But still boring like hell. 

I'm not a fan of the Panamera at all. I even think it looks super boring. Especially the new one, looks more boring like the old one IMO. But when testing a Limousine you should judge with the expectations you are having for a Limousine. Comfortable, long distance machine, safe, quiet, peaceful, etc. - none of those attributes you would love to see in a 911, wouldn't you?

Best luxury sedan out there, next to Mercedes S63 AMG 4matic and E63 AMG 4matic.

Price/value winner is the E63 S AMG 4matic though...especially since lease offers and discounts are pretty OK.

Maybe add the new M5 with AWD to the mix as well.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Whoopsy:

I am here in Rome doing Porsche Racing Experience.

First couple days they were driving us in the Panamera Turbo between the track and hotel.

Last night I asked for them to put me in the Panamera Turbo S,

H O L Y S H I T

I thought the Panamera Turbo with 550 HP was amazing.

The e-Hybird Turbo S is........

Leaving me speechless. I simply don't have any adjective to describe it.

Perhaps explosive.

AND that's not even considering the weight of the whole car.

I have had experiences in Porsche race cars, in my 918 and in a 991.1 and .,2 Turbo S, but those were the only cars the offering better instantaneous acceleration G forces. Not even Teslas can match.

That 680HP is no joke.nor the 850Nm of torque.

Seriously, for those that think Tesla can do a better job in rolling acceleration. Bye bye Tesla. 

Cornering is also insane. The driver is a Porsche factory instructor, seriously, I never expected a 2.5 ton car can do what it did.

O. M. G. 

Seriously, even with the extreme driving, we had more electric charge when we arrived back at the hotel than when we left the track, and it was 40km away.

U N F U C K I N G B E L I E V A B L E.

No sedans currently available is close to matching it. 

It is that good!

Sorry @Farmer, your diesel just became obsolete. 

Who shall we trust, c&d review or Whoopsy's biased opinion? I'd rather go with our favourite P brand ambassador.

Whoopsy didn't say anything wrong, he likes the Panamera Turbo S and I get it, especially since Whoopsy has the possibility to compare the Panamera with his many other cars.

So yes, if you have 200+k to spend, the Panamera Turbo S is amazing. If not, there are alternatives.

--

Looks like the Hybrid (well, it actually is but... indecision)...

Pretty stealth. blush 

IMG_0420.jpg

--

alexalex88:
    Whoopsy:

I am here in Rome doing Porsche Racing Experience.

First couple days they were driving us in the Panamera Turbo between the track and hotel.

Last night I asked for them to put me in the Panamera Turbo S,

H O L Y S H I T

I thought the Panamera Turbo with 550 HP was amazing.

The e-Hybird Turbo S is........

Leaving me speechless. I simply don't have any adjective to describe it.

Perhaps explosive.

AND that's not even considering the weight of the whole car.

I have had experiences in Porsche race cars, in my 918 and in a 991.1 and .,2 Turbo S, but those were the only cars the offering better instantaneous acceleration G forces. Not even Teslas can match.

That 680HP is no joke.nor the 850Nm of torque.

Seriously, for those that think Tesla can do a better job in rolling acceleration. Bye bye Tesla. 

Cornering is also insane. The driver is a Porsche factory instructor, seriously, I never expected a 2.5 ton car can do what it did.

O. M. G. 

Seriously, even with the extreme driving, we had more electric charge when we arrived back at the hotel than when we left the track, and it was 40km away.

U N F U C K I N G B E L I E V A B L E.

No sedans currently available is close to matching it. 

It is that good!

Sorry @Farmer, your diesel just became obsolete. 

Who shall we trust, c&d review or Whoopsy's biased opinion? I'd rather go with our favourite P brand ambassador.

So - we all know about Whoopsy's experience and excellence. So if he is impressed it must be an impressive car. But I'm convinced that he keeps in mind driving a limousine and will not judge it compared to a sports car? 

I'm aligned with Whoopsy's opinion. There's no way TT and TTS have a similar behaviour as c&d suggested saying that we should save the +$30k difference, despite the extra 600 pounds of the electric powertrain.

Important for me too bear in mind that we are talking about a luxury sedan and not a sports car. It's stupid see a car like the Panamera (and E63, etc.) being tested on track and use some performance parameters to determine its capabilities. Reviews of these cars should be on highways, daily commutes, secondary roads and even parking spots, not lap times and g forces.

alexalex88:

I'm aligned with Whoopsy's opinion. There's no way TT and TTS have a similar behaviour as c&d suggested saying that we should save the +$30k difference, despite the extra 600 pounds of the electric powertrain.

Important for me too bear in mind that we are talking about a luxury sedan and not a sports car. It's stupid see a car like the Panamera (and E63, etc.) being tested on track and use some performance parameters to determine its capabilities. Reviews of these cars should be on highways, daily commutes, secondary roads and even parking spots, not lap times and g forces.

Lap times don't hurt Smiley  but I agree that their purpose lies somewhere else. Smiley

Would I get a Panamera Turbo S if I would be interested in buying a luxury sedan with sportscar capabilities? Of course...if I could afford it. 

The thing is: The Panamera Turbo S is a great sedan but it is not a product without competition. Yes, the hybrid makes it different but it is no breakthrough, not in performance and not in overall fuel consumption.

--

RC:
    alexalex88:

Lap times don't hurt Smiley  but I agree that their purpose lies somewhere else. Smiley

Would I get a Panamera Turbo S if I would be interested in buying a luxury sedan with sportscar capabilities? Of course...if I could afford it. 

The thing is: The Panamera Turbo S is a great sedan but it is not a product without competition. Yes, the hybrid makes it different but it is no breakthrough, not in performance and not in overall fuel consumption.

Mmmm disagree. Precisely hybridation makes the difference between Porsche and competitors, it's the first time we see ICE + electric motors at a top performance level in a car of this segment (breakthrough enough?). Best of both worlds with everything that implies.

However it's true that I expected a little bit more performance wise (specially in the 0-200).

alexalex88:
    RC:
    alexalex88:

Mmmm disagree. Precisely hybridation makes the difference between Porsche and competitors, it's the first time we see ICE + electric motors at a top performance level in a car of this segment (breakthrough enough?). Best of both worlds with everything that implies.

However it's true that I expected a little bit more performance wise (specially in the 0-200).

It would be a difference if it would actually offer any advantage but it doesn't. On the contrary, the weight increases substantially and you can feel it, even if Porsche did a marvelous job to "cover" it.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690722 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409918 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256109 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235351 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65728 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858667 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774872 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM