Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid - Most powerful Panamera (2017)

Whoopsy:

I am here in Rome doing Porsche Racing Experience.

First couple days they were driving us in the Panamera Turbo between the track and hotel.

Last night I asked for them to put me in the Panamera Turbo S,

H O L Y S H I T

I thought the Panamera Turbo with 550 HP was amazing.

The e-Hybird Turbo S is........

Leaving me speechless. I simply don't have any adjective to describe it.

Perhaps explosive.

AND that's not even considering the weight of the whole car.

I have had experiences in Porsche race cars, in my 918 and in a 991.1 and .,2 Turbo S, but those were the only cars the offering better instantaneous acceleration G forces. Not even Teslas can match.

That 680HP is no joke.nor the 850Nm of torque.

Seriously, for those that think Tesla can do a better job in rolling acceleration. Bye bye Tesla. 

Cornering is also insane. The driver is a Porsche factory instructor, seriously, I never expected a 2.5 ton car can do what it did.

O. M. G. 

Seriously, even with the extreme driving, we had more electric charge when we arrived back at the hotel than when we left the track, and it was 40km away.

U N F U C K I N G B E L I E V A B L E.

No sedans currently available is close to matching it. 

It is that good!

Sorry @Farmer, your diesel just became obsolete. 

Ha ha ha, know you would hit me with thatSmiley Smiley But..... It’s the LAST diesel, so it’s unique SmileySmiley

martini964:
    Whoopsy:

First couple days they were driving us in the Panamera Turbo between the track and hotel.

H O L Y S H I T

wow, even for 918 you didn't say like this

The 918 I KNOW it;'s fast, it's is Usain Bolt.

The Panamera Turbo S is like seeing Lawrence Taylor (For Europeans, he is a retired linebacker in the NFL, they are all muscle and big)  running almost as fast, you do not expect that. You never expect that.

--

Whoopsy:

H O L Y S H I T

I thought the Panamera Turbo with 550 HP was amazing.

The e-Hybird Turbo S is........

Leaving me speechless. I simply don't have any adjective to describe it.

Perhaps explosive.

AND that's not even considering the weight of the whole car.

I have had experiences in Porsche race cars, in my 918 and in a 991.1 and .,2 Turbo S, but those were the only cars the offering better instantaneous acceleration G forces. Not even Teslas can match.

That 680HP is no joke.nor the 850Nm of torque.

Seriously, for those that think Tesla can do a better job in rolling acceleration. Bye bye Tesla. 

Cornering is also insane. The driver is a Porsche factory instructor, seriously, I never expected a 2.5 ton car can do what it did.

O. M. G. 

Seriously, even with the extreme driving, we had more electric charge when we arrived back at the hotel than when we left the track, and it was 40km away.

U N F U C K I N G B E L I E V A B L E.

No sedans currently available is close to matching it. 

It is that good!

Sorry @Farmer, your diesel just became obsolete. 

Many thanks for these impressions Smiley Seems a good idea to do a test drive then...

Had the big Diesel as a loaner for a couple of days and was impressed by it's 850 nm - cannot wait to drive this once kiss

So Nick, did you order one? smiley

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Joost:

I think he already had it on order indecision

Unfortunately, some people will miss the whole point of this type of hybrid integration on a sedan, they will complain that the autonomy on electric is low or that the ICE engine kicks in too much 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

That sounds like promising times ahead for hybrid technology at Porsche kiss

--

White 991.2 GT3, V260 March 2018

Carlos from Spain:
    Joost:

I think he already had it on order indecision

Unfortunately, some people will miss the whole point of this type of hybrid integration on a sedan, they will complain that the autonomy on electric is low or that the ICE engine kicks in too much 

Oh sorry, I must have missed that minor entry in Nick's order book... Smiley

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Understandable, it's easier to keep track of those not in the order book 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

Understandable, it's easier to keep track of those not in the order book 

Smiley

For the record, no, I didn't place my order. 

But seriously, after riding in this car for a couple days,

THERE IS NO OTHER CAR THAT ONE CAN HAVE AS MUCH FUN AS IN THIS ONE ON THE STREET!

And yes I am serious.

The Panamera Turbo S is stupidly fun. 

The V8 exhaust note trumps just about anything else, Porsche made this turbo-ed engine sounds fantastic.

The power is just about limitless, If you see a car in front that you want to pass, the moment you think about passing it, you have already passed it. And that car you want to pass? It's a tiny dot in your rear view mirror.

Yes it's big and heavy, but it will corner good enough, actually better than 90% of anything you can buy off dealer showrooms. 

All this in a package that can seat 4 comfortably AND carry a good amount of luggage.

Unless someone is dead set on driving a sports car, this sedan is THE complete package. Forget the M5, every sports sedan will have to be measured against the Panamera Turbo S. 

I stil want one.

--

It's ok, you can order one. No one will stop you, just make sure your dealer has more room for another car, or crap why not just buy the dealer.indecision

My dealer told me if I ordered Panamera Turbo S I would get the GT2RS also.

Placed the order for Executive (having passengers sometimes and need the legroom, since I need all the space I can have at 6'5")  and waiting to see if he lied (know him for over 30 years and it would be hard to believe he would screw me over).

Should make a nice garage if that happens, especially with my wife's Lusso coming and my plans to finally get the car I always wanted, the V600LM.

Wow, this is a record!   At least 10 positive posts about a Panamera, without negative comparisons to Ferrari, Bentley, Mercedes, Tesla, being too heavy, too expensive, etc. Congratulations Whoopsy, you've got real charisma! 

Wonderbar:

Wow, this is a record!   At least 10 positive posts about a Panamera, without negative comparisons to Ferrari, Bentley, Mercedes, Tesla, being too heavy, too expensive, etc. Congratulations Whoopsy, you've got real charisma! 

No charisma, just enough credibility with his personal experience with ultra high performance cars.

If he says a car is really fast then I truly believe it is really, really fast......Smiley

Great feedback Nick. A 3 year old Panamera TTS hybrid should be around $100k after a short 3 years, that might be a good deal.

Wonderbar:

Just wait...I haven't driven one yet... Smiley

I agree with Whoopsy though, if you have the money and want/need a sedan, the new Panamera Turbo S is really something. Only issue I see with this car: It will be difficult to tune to more power because of the hybrid system. No problem to get 700 hp out of a E63 S AMG for example. This could actually be the only downside of the Turbo S but for me, the Turbo S is probably the sportiest fun sedan out there on the market.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

SciFrog:

Great feedback Nick. A 3 year old Panamera TTS hybrid should be around $100k after a short 3 years, that might be a good deal.

In three years, you want something else... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Drove today Panamera 4 E Hybrid and Panamera Turbo S E Hybrid back to back and i must say im not that impressed than others here. Yes the Turbo S flys when you push the throttle but oh boy you feel the weight on the brakes. In pure E Mode the power is very underwhelming. Yes its only 136HP but i expected more. Seen also the Panamera Sport Tourismo live and it looks better than on the photos. Drove a RS6 with ABT Tuning and 685HP the other day and i lked it way more.

RC:
    SciFrog:

In three years, you want something else... Smiley

Well YOU do Smiley

I think that the Hybrid cars are only for a certain customer group. It’s like with Teslas cruising around with 120kmh to save energy. With Hybrids it’s the same. You gain only respectable fuel saving when you are cruising. For guys like me these cars are not the best choice.

I’m always on the faster side and the higher weight from the Hybrids leads also to higher fuel consumption nearly the same as with non Hybrid cars. I got ~16l/100km with Panamera 4 E Hybrid and ~20l/100km with Panamera Turbo S E Hybrid. Yes it adds power but the car looses agility and also you feel the additional weight under braking.

Thanks for the feedback guys, do you have any picture? Sounds like the RS6 kingdom might get to an end (ST version for me please, I don't like the looks on the regular Panamera).

The hybridation of these kind of models at this performance level is a really clever move from Porsche. However surprises me the lack of impact in the launching -you barely hear any buzz around them, very little content on the web, etc.-

There are hybrids to improve fuel economy and hybrids to improve performance.

The latter is here to stay, the performance benefits are hard to ignore and top performance cars (918, LAF, P1) are best example.

Weight is increased but with new developments it can be mitigated and made less influential then before, the new Panamera TTS is an example and all really experienced drivers, either pro or semi pro who drove it, confirm that fact.

absent:

There are hybrids to improve fuel economy and hybrids to improve performance.

The latter is here to stay, the performance benefits are hard to ignore and top performance cars (918, LAF, P1) are best example.

Weight is increased but with new developments it can be mitigated and made less influential then before, the new Panamera TTS is an example and all really experienced drivers, either pro or semi pro who drove it, confirm that fact.

I am just not buying into that, there is no way to hide this sort of weight it will for sure be apparent and the pro/semi pro drivers are on the Porsche payroll so will tow the line but I don't believe they think it is mitigated...... One major reason I didn't like the 991.2 turbo S was the weight, when 911s go much over 1450kg they seem to lose a lot of their sharpness, sure they're massively capable and can do all the drifting tricks (which we see on the test videos) but for me they feel heavy and unwieldy relatively speaking of course - I can imagine what a 2300kg Pan feels like, not for me. 

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN

I was impressed by the 850 nm diesel - 8-9 liter consumption a perfect long distance car

TB993tt:
    absent:

I am just not buying into that, there is no way to hide this sort of weight it will for sure be apparent and the pro/semi pro drivers are on the Porsche payroll so will tow the line but I don't believe they think it is mitigated...... One major reason I didn't like the 991.2 turbo S was the weight, when 911s go much over 1450kg they seem to lose a lot of their sharpness, sure they're massively capable and can do all the drifting tricks (which we see on the test videos) but for me they feel heavy and unwieldy relatively speaking of course - I can imagine what a 2300kg Pan feels like, not for me. 

Did you sold it?

Talking about hybrids, Belgian Government will, as of January 2018, reduce the fiscal benefits of the hybrids as well the pure electric ones. 

The fiscal benefits for a company will reduce from 120 to 100% for ev’s. . For the hybrids like xc90, bmw x5e and the likes, it’s completely game over as they will have no advantage comparing to normal non hybrid versions. 

Back to gasoline in Belgium!

(way to go, st*pid government)

Terrible short sighted decision. Politics mail

If used wisely, a hybrid can really make a difference. I drive 1200 km during fill ups, in a very heavy car with only 4 cylinders. yes 

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

It's not supposed to compete with 911, weight is less important for Panamera as  long as it handles well, luxury touring with 4 passengers is it's purpose while delivering performance of a sports car for the fun of it.

Still, a limo first.

If I could afford the S hybrid, I would buy it in a heartbeat.  Most probably will "settle" for a Turbo, which is plenty fast for me and my daily/family travel needs.  

I have loved and owned 8 911s over the years, but my needs and priorities have changed.  To own a Panamera Turbo that is far faster and more luxurious than my last 2007 Carrera S, is a treat---and a salute to Porsche engineering and brand development.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753363 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430849 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258658 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255509 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79557 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868437 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802047 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM