Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

991 Turbo S - Short Driving Report (owner)

Today I picked up my 991 Turbo S and I cannot hide the fact that I was very excited.

I arrived at 9.30 am at my dealer and there was some strange looking man on a bicycle, waiting to get in too. At first, I thought this is just another client who wanted to look at cars but I soon learned that this guy, on the bicycle, had actually ordered a 991 Turbo S too (for late October delivery) and that the dealer called him, so he could experience the car live at the dealeship. My car.

My son and me wanted to leave fast, the weather was rainy and we were afraid the rain would intensify but that guy who ordered a Turbo S too, just kept on talking and looking at the car and I couldn't actually be mad at him. I understood him very well, the car looks gorgeous.

Finally we were able to leave the dealership and the very first thing I noticed was...I felt at home. The typical 911 feel, nothing weird, nothing too comfy and nothing Panamera or GT-like. The typical 911 feel and due to the fact that I didn't order the Powersteering Plus, a very firm and direct steering feel, even at low speeds. I kind of started to understand why people hate the 991 steering: They were trying cars with the Powersteering Plus. There is no other explenation.

It was raining cats and dogs as you say in Britain, horrible weather but me and my son still enjoyed it. The car is fantastic, very nimble, very precise and very fast without a real effort. I was actually keeping the engine under 3000 rpm most of the time because the boost kicked in and the car jumped forward. At the beginning, I was driving mainly in auto mode but after aprox. 200 km, I started shifting manually. What a pleasure, no comparison to PDK on the 997 Turbo S. You just shift and the gear changes instantly, there is basically no delay you can feel. Downshifts or upshifts, same thing. Wonderful.

I was driving in Sport mode all the time, the throttle response is just better and I didn't want to use Sport Plus on a new car with new tires on streets covered in rain water. Good decision. In a tight curve, the rear came nicely and to my surprise, the PSM softly limited the drift without me really intervening, just keeping the throttle steady.

The Pirelli PZero tires proved to be wonderful on wet pavement, temperature was around 13°C and I could really feel the street, the water on the street and everything else. The steering really provides a lot of feedback and the tires seem to improve that. Unlike on the Panamera Turbo S, I never had a detached driving or steering feel, which allowed me to drive at pretty high speeds on wet pavement and I am not talking about straight line driving. We drove down a couple of nice country roads and the car behaved perfectly. No understeer at all, not even in the wet (maybe the AMS test driver didn't adjust the tire pressure, I don't know) but a very good steering precision and it does exactly what you tell the steering to do, sharp as a knife, very nice. Keep in mind that we were driving over 300 km in rain, so this is quite a statement from me.

On the Autobahn, the car is almost boring. The steering lacks any kind of nervousness but the direct feel is there, just without the shaking. It is difficult to describe. As if someone put some sort of damper between the street and the steering but without affecting the direct feel or the feel for the street and the state of the pavement. I could actually feel every hole, every irregularity of the street below the tires but without being annoyed.

The sound of the engine/exhaust is loud enough for my taste, the improvement is definitely substantial. The car sounds much nicer than the 997 Turbo S, especially at idle and at speeds over 3000 rpm. Most of the time, we were driving somewhere between 2000 and 3000 rpm, simply because the torque is huge and the car just pulls like crazy, even with little throttle operation. I'm not sure a sport exhaust would to this car any good, it is really loud. Loud enough to make you enjoy it but maybe not loud enough to show to others "here I come". I think that Porsche found the right setup for the 991 Turbo S, addressing at the same time the criticism of the past that the Turbo sounds like a vacuum cleaner. It doesn't anymore. People on the sidewalk were turning heads when I came from behind at rev figures below 3500 rpm, so the exhaust sound is not muted. I don't like however the "spitting" noise of the exhaust each time I release the throttle. It is a deep sounding "spitting" and it kind of sounds in the car as if you have a flat tire or as if someone is hitting the car with something from the outside. It can get very annoying. The "spitting" noise on the 991 PSE has a higher pitch, the low tone of the 991 Turbo S "spitting" is really an issue Porsche should address and I'm not kidding. It goes away when turning off Sport or Sport Plus mode but since I drove most of the time in Sport mode, well... Bottom line is: It sounds strange and it gets annoying after some while. Maybe Porsche can change the tone of the "spitting" sound, it needs to sound higher and more metallic, like on the 991 Carrera. If not possible, they should probably remove it completely.

After driving 300 km in rain, we finally had some dry streets too. I'm still breaking the car in, so no high speed reports but I can tell you that the car literally drives as if it would drive on rails, the precision of the steering is amazing, the chassis adds to the perfect setup and the car does exactly what you "tell" it to do with the steering and the throttle.

For the very first time, I also enjoyed manually shifting with PDK in a turbo charged 911. I hated Tiptronic (but it was fast...), so I kept it in auto mode most of the time and my testdrive with a 997 Turbo S was OK but PDK, especially the manual mode, sucked big time. So I understood those 997 Turbo S owners very well who just left the PDK in auto mode. Auto mode did everything better and the shifting wasn't really a pleasure. Now, things have changed. Auto mode of course is still very good but if you enjoy shifting manually, PDK is now for you. Shifting is fast, practically instantenous and it provides a lot of fun.

Another huge surprise was fuel consumption (as you can see on one of the photos): 12.8 l / 100 km. After the 400 km we did today, the average fuel consumption was 13.4 l / 100 km and I was driving most of the time in Sport mode and didn't really drive slow, just kept the engine below 4000 rpm. Very impressive for such a car. The fuel tank low level warning came pretty early, aprox. 15 l fuel was left when I filled the car up.

Before I start to bore you with my stories, here are some PROS and CONS (short).

PROS

- Very precise and direct steering feel (without Powersteering Plus!), very good feedback of street condition, even at lower speeds

- Engine doesn't seem to take a sweat, even a little throttle is enough to be fast with usual rev figures between 2000 and 3000 rpm in PDK auto mode (Sport mode)

- Engine/exhaust sound loud and sporty, I would put a big questionmark behind the need of a sport exhaust. Not as loud as PSE of course but I guess you need to drive the car to understand. I think a sport exhaust would actually ruin the experience, it is difficult to explain why.

- PDK is lightning fast, does everything perfect in auto mode and is even a lot of fun to drive in manual mode.

- In standard mode (no Sport or Sport Plus), the throttle feels a little bit slow but the PSM works so well that even on a rainy road, you can actually be pretty fast without taking a huge risk. The tires are the limit in this case and they do a pretty good job.

- Pirelli PZero tires very good on rainy roads, very good feedback, aquaplaning issues "announced" early, very good and effective braking setup in rain together with the PSM/ABS.

- LED front lights look very nice and provide a very good light.

- Fuel consumption: You can actually drive this car with 13-14 l / 100 km without getting the feeling of being slow.

- The "Online" feature of the PCM system allows me to listen to all the iPhone audio apps through BT audio. Example: Today I was listening to Sirius XM Radio in my 991 Turbo S. Nothing special? Well, I drive the car in Germany and there is no Sirius XM Satellite Radio reception in Germany. I just streamed the audio stream from the iPhone app over BT audio to my PCM system. Not sure if this is possible without the "Online" feature.

- Oil consumption: After 400 km, the level hasn't dropped a bit.

CONS

- Glass roof rattles from time to time on bad streets (probably needs some adjustment or whatever)

- Sport Plus mode activates Active Aerodynamics (front spoiler lip and rear wing) but it stays active (deployed) even at lower speeds or when you come to a stop. This can be a huge problem if you forget about it when you want to park your car or when you want to enter a parking garage which requires a higher ground clearance. Active Aerodynamics should retract both, the front lip and the wing at speeds under 20 kph. I get it, some people want to show off when cruising but this could be activated manually for example. I find it quite risky to allow Sport Plus to keep the front lip deployed at very low speeds.

- The exhaust sounds nice but the "spitting" noise is too dull and it gets annoying. It should have a higher pitch tone, like on the 991 PSE. The "spitting" on the 991 Turbo S exhaust sounds as if something is hitting your wheel arch with something. Very annoying in my opinion.

- Chassis could sit 10 or 20 mm lower than now, it looks a little bit too high from certain angles (car is still new, so there is a good chance it "settles" a little bit over time).

- You are always too fast in the car because everything feels so safe and stable.

I will add more to this report along the way, now I'm at home and I need to get some rest.

Is the car what I expected? Yes and more. Especially the steering has surprised me a lot since I have driven Powersteering Plus equipped cars only. Yes, if you live in a big city and your wife drives your car too or you have a medical condition, get the Powersteering Plus. If not, stay away from it. This is how a Porsche 911 steering is supposed to feel alike.

More to come... (enjoy the photos, more photos next week).

1381001049601ts1.jpg

1381001070106ts2.jpg

1381001099478ts3.jpg

1381001120632ts4.jpg

1381001143308ts5.jpg

1381001168398ts6.jpg

1381001192671ts7.jpg

1381001215513ts8.jpg

1381001239626ts9.jpg

My son's favorite pet...

ts10.jpg

1381001304331ts11.jpg

Visiting an old friend and showing off... Smiley

ts12.jpg

ts13.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Re: 991 Turbo S - Short Driving Report (owner)

Congratulations!  Thank you for the extensive report and pictures.  I look forward to reading your impressions after you have finished breaking it in.

Greg A

Many, many congrats. Sounds like you will enjoy this beautiful car a lot SmileySmileySmiley

Congratulations and thank you for the report.

The 991 TTS sounds like a fabulous car and I'm sure it will give you much satisfaction. Really can't wait to get my hands on one.

Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions. Enjoyed reading them. 

Congratulations - I'm really glad you are pleased with your car.  For the record, I have never driven a car with power steering plus so my complaints refer to the standard system and I have sampled  a 991 Carrera S (standard PASM), a 991 Carrera -20mm SPASM, 3 x 981 Boxster S and 2 x 981 Cayman S.   I wasn't joking when I said on UK tarmac, with damp patches and at medium to high load, it is scarily inert to the point where you stop driving quickly because it isn't fun. Hardly the point of having a sports car so here's hoping that Porsche really have improved things.

--

Gen II Cayman S

Many congratulations RC and thanks for the initial report. The grey exterior and black / red leather really works well together. Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Rc, many congrats! Thank you for the report! Hope you really enjoy your new car! I think it looks truly amazing. Looking forward to seeing my first 991 Turbo in the flesh. 

--

- HS (Belgium)  -  '14 Porsche 991 GT3 (oct build) - '06 BMW 335I Coupe  

Also from this side: many congrats and just a bit (healthy) jealeous! :-)

--

965 3.3turbo/  993 targa / 996 cab /997S cab

Audi R8  //  Audi A6 3.0 biturbo Quattro/Mini JCW

Congratulations on your 991 Turbo S delivery!  You work hard and deserve it.

Your new car impressions are always more than interesting.kiss

Maybe der Auspufftopf needs more Aus and less pufft pufft pufft.indecision

Nice color combo!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Thanks for the report and congrats on the new car RC!

BTW I told you about the difference between sport plus and std steering when I was testing cars before ordering my C4S. I am glad we are on the same page. I ordered mine std too.

Paint the Porsche logo and place it back on the car! The rear looks empty without it!

--

There is no try. Just do.

Enjoy the beast Christian wink

Very nice color kiss

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Truly gorgeous car, many congrats and thanks for the first real driving report you can rely on. wink

Dark grey seems to be one of the prefect colours for the car (silver and blue may be the others). At this Turbo black really isn't the first choice.
    Not the biggest fan of the black/red interior, but the grey outside fits the car perfectly, with grey those sometimes a bit odd looking plastic parts just look right. And the new glass sun roof looks good as well. kiss

I especially like the side line of the car, as shown in your last pic. Enjoy in good health. kiss

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Thanks for sharing , car looks great and better than expected on paper Smiley

Can you elaborate a little bit more on PDK improvements? I find the PDK in manual mode on my 911 great to use, what did you dislike on it on your previous GTS? The downshifts are lightning fast, although I find the up shifts to bit a little slow, this is the area where I can see big margin to improvements.

J.Seven

Many thanks for this as always very informative report .

Your hint to the tighter steering without power steering plus is very important and valuable. The tighter steering feel underlined the typical 911 feeling and that is what a 911 should deliver.

Due to past media coverage and very first pics of the new 991 Turbo S, I assumed at first that here just a new hat has slipped to only slightly improved technique. But now I think the real improvement over the 997 Turbo S isn’t to find in 0,2-0,3 sec. quicker street line acceleration, but on the whole package. Significant improvements are obviously the PDK and the chassis. So I would also expect a better directional stability at high speeds even if you hadn't tested it yet.

Actually the PDK on my 997 Turbo S isn’t very responsive, but I realize that I was used to it. The driver adapts the switching delay by minimally earlier switching. But no doubt the new 991 Turbo S seems to be a new world in this compartment.

As soon as my time permits, I’ll try to take a test drive at my dealer hoping he has any available test car. Oh, and the red interior looks really great. The color tone " Carrerared " was obviously improved compared with the 997.1. And just as a recommendation: You should change your avatar, your Turbo S looks far betterkiss

I wish you a lot of fun with this great car and don’t forget to post tons of pics.

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW Grand Coupe 650i xDrive

Just pondering, but with the Turbo's all-wheel steering; it might not be an accurate comparison to other 991 models steering. 

I still love to read a first hand review, and the idea that RC was favorably impressed with the engine's torque without exceeding 3,000 or was that 3,500rpm was very good news. It will undoubtedly take a bit more after the first day to get through the entire break in period  angry

Looks great, except .... you need some lettering in the back. 

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

As always I love reading your write ups.  Awesome car, enjoy it Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

Thank you RC for the graphic report. I am glad the car is to your expectations.

Your comments about the PS+ is what I expected to hear after trying the system on the Carrera. Too much luxury oriented for a sports car.

Also, I'm glad that the P Zero is so good in the wet  as I am planning to fit them to my car.

Try to stick a Turbo S badge in black or body colour at the back. As it is it looks too empty space.

Enjoy this wonderful engineering marvel wink

--

"Form follows function"

congratulations! Concerning the exhaust burbling: is it possible that that will be less when you are not using the sports mode? 

Congrats RC - great to see you have the beast finally in its natural habitat! Thanks for the very complete write up!

You are probably one of a view going on the first ride to "your friend" and check how to make it even faster smiley - kidding!

Rergaring PDK - I dont know how much it diverts from the 991S but even here I can confirm - I majorly shift manual as it is damn fast and fun! 

Enjoy it safely!

First, thanks guys. wink

I try to address some of your comments in one post:

1. The PORSCHE and 911 Turbo S badges for the back are already in the works, in black.

2. Not ordering Powersteering Plus, as recommended by a "source" and some of you, was definitely a very good decision. Especially on wet (or snowy for that matter) streets, you want to "feel" the pavement below you.

3. Yes, the AWS may have a lot to do with the very direct and nimble feel of the car but then, I guess, this is why Porsche chose to use it for the 991 Turbo/S.

4. PDK is completely different from 997 PDK. In the 997, there were always moments when you manually shifted and you got the feeling that the gear was released a second later or so. In the 991 Turbo S, similar to the 991 Carrera S Cab I drove recently, the gear change is instantenous and maybe even a little bit faster. Especially on the upshifts.

5. The exhaust "spitting" sound is gone when you disable Sport or Sport Plus mode. To be frank: I don't think a car like the 991 Turbo S needs this spitting sound but if Porsche keeps it, it cannot have the dull tone it has now. It just sounds weird and like I said, as if there is a technical problem. I am pretty sure that I won't be the only customer to complaint about this.

6. The huge torque allows to keep the car in the lower rev range without being slow. My guess is that for additional fun, many of you, especially in speed limited countries, will change gears manually. Now it is actually fun to do that since PDK works quite nicely.

7. If someone would ask me about the reasons to switch from a 997 Turbo S to a 991 Turbo S, I would have two things in mind: Exhaust sound and chassis, maybe a third...PDK. The interior also looks and feels impaccable, not as classy maybe as on a Ferrari or the latest Lamborghini angry but a huge improvement over the 997.

8. The black/Carrera red interior looks really nice but I have to admit that my idea to go with a black exterior and this particular bi-color interior would have been a bad idea. The lighter exterior color (Agate grey) kind of neutralizes a little bit of the strong contrast, which is a very good thing. It seems to fit perfectly, also you can slightly see the red interior from the outside, which gives the slightly dull exterior color an additional touch of sportiness. I see black/Carrera red to go well with a white exterior and agate grey met. but other colors? I would be very careful and I have to admit that I was lucky, I haven't seen this combo before live.

9. I can already imagine how some car journalist would call the 991 Turbo S boring or easy to drive or for everyone (like the guy who handed me the keys on Saturday said) because the 991 Turbo S is really your typical 911 Turbo, just taken a step further into the future. The truth is: The 911 Turbo, especially since the 993 model, is easy to drive if you don't push it hard. Whoever owns or owned a 911 Turbo knows very well that you can drive it like a Mercedes SL without taking a sweat but once you push it hard to the limit, the car suddenly changes it's character and you need to be very careful, especially if you are in Sport Plus mode. I would call the 911 Turbo Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. You get both worlds but when Mr. Hyde kicks in, you're in trouble. 

If you have any particular question or if you want me to check out something specific, just do it. Keep in mind that I'm still breaking the car in, even if the German manual doesn't describe a specific break-in period anymore. No launch control, prolonged Vmax driving and track driving for the first 3000 km though. Just to be safe.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Congrats Christian!
    Very nice car.

Congratulations on your car and have fun to drive

Lars997:

Congrats RC - great to see you have the beast finally in its natural habitat! Thanks for the very complete write up!

You are probably one of a view going on the first ride to "your friend" and check how to make it even faster smiley - kidding!

Rergaring PDK - I dont know how much it diverts from the 991S but even here I can confirm - I majorly shift manual as it is damn fast and fun! 

Enjoy it safely!

Thanks, Lars.

Yes, PDK in the 997 was never really fun to shift manually but it is now. Glad you are happy with your choice as I am glad to be happy with mine. Not sure why so many people seem to dislike the 991. Smiley

--

Congrats, very nice car!

Regarding BT streaming, I can do it in my Cayenne without online services: just with the navigation system.  It is not available in the CDR radio.

--

1987 911 Carrera 3.2 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S - 1995 BMW318ti

Congrats Christian!
    Very nice car ... but the Sunroof is .

Best regards,
    Peter

1381049707634image.jpg

Congrats :)

Please also some Interior shots. Thanks

Mikla:

Congrats, very nice car!

Regarding BT streaming, I can do it in my Cayenne without online services: just with the navigation system.  It is not available in the CDR radio.

Thanks. I wasn't sure about this, so I'm not really sure what Porsche means by "online services". They say I should use the Aha app but I have to register first and I really cannot see the benefit of that app (well, I could check weather and news on the PCM but...hmm...still not convinced). I'm glad I can listen now to Sirius XM Radio in my car, I hate listening to radio and usually fill up the jukebox as fast as possible for my driving music pleasure.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689059 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408944 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255639 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234891 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65477 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857774 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773750 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM