Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

Great point, fully subscribe it. But on the other hand, a standard Turbo with Sport Chrono is a great alternative. It's like the straight-up update of the 997 Turbo S... The 991 Turbo S is the state of the art.

Not everybody likes the PDDC and if someone can live up without PCCB, it is  a serious alternative.

--

1987 911 Carrera 3.2 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S - 1995 BMW318ti

Mikla:

Great point, fully subscribe it. But on the other hand, a standard Turbo with Sport Chrono is a great alternative. It's like the straight-up update of the 997 Turbo S... The 991 Turbo S is the state of the art.

Not everybody likes the PDDC and if someone can live up without PCCB, it is  a serious alternative.

I agree. A Turbo with Sport Chrono package but without LED lights, PCCB and some other goodies WOULD make sense for people who don't want to spend a ton of cash for a car or just wouldn't benefit from the extra performance and options. Usually however, this is what my dealer told me, people spec their regular Turbo to a point where only the lack of PCCB actually saves them money. So if a Turbo costs 190k EUR and a Turbo S with PCCB and the same options costs slightly over 200k EUR, do you really think this would make a financial difference? I doubt it.

For those however who are satisfied with a standard Turbo with Sport Chrono only and almost no extra options, the Turbo is a very good offer indeed.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H9Yq70UQUo

with Walter Röhrl at Bilster Berg

Try driving like that and trying to shift with a MT.Smiley

nberry:

I am missing your point.  There are plenty of vids online with Walther driving more intensely than that while shifting a MT...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

nberry:

He's driving at about 6 or 7 10ths through most of that. He could be shifting a manual and reading the paper half the time on that lap. 

Nice track though!

This http://youtu.be/wdy8CG09rSU is Walter Rohl driving hard. It also is the perfect explanation of why many people miss having a manual in a fast car. We would all like to be able to do what he does with his feet. (And like someone pointed out, back in the days of no center consoles even a giant like him had enough foot room).

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

orsi2003:

Reviews from Motor Authority and National Post, hope it's not a repost

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1086599_2014-porsche-911-turbo-turbo-s-first-drive

http://life.nationalpost.com/2013/08/29/2014-porsche-911-turbo-is-a-fierce-display-of-power-but-could-also-be-a-daily-driver/

I think the closing lines of the Motor Authority review perfectly underscore the key appeal of the 911 Turbo:

"After spending a day with the car on the Bilster Berg circuit and the roads around it, it's clear: whatever the baggage, this is a supercar by any standard. In fact, it may set the new supercar standard for those who'd like to drive their collection's hottest performer more than once a week. 

Why? Because underneath the massive speed, rocket-like acceleration, and crisp, tossable handling, the Turbo and Turbo S are, ultimately, 911s. And that's a very good thing."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePh5xuSzETg

turbo s  Sound in some kind of warehouse !!

the best part is ... DARK BLUE

From 0-100 kph, not many cars will be able to keep up with the Turbo S, most of them won't even do that. Have you read the review from Autocar where they claimed that up to 90 mph, the MP4-12C was slower than the new Turbo S?!

I did a little math based on factory numbers for the 12C and kind of optimistic numbers for the S and assuming constant acceleration for both cars:

S: 0-100 in 2.8s, 0-160km/h in 6.5s and 0-200km/h in 9.5s

12C: 0-100 in 3.0s, 0-160km/h in 6s and 0-200km/h in 9s

6 seconds into a standing start race, the S would have traveled 129.4 meters and going 155km/h and the 12C would have traveled 133.2 meters and going 160km/h. so yes, it looks like the 12C will catch the S somewhere at/just before 6 seconds and around 90mph. if you keep going to 200km/h in the S with 9.5s elapsed, the 12C would be about 6-7 meters ahead by then. 

so if the S in real life can get close to the fast figures above, even then its still a bit slower than the mac and i highly doubt it can do the 0-200 in much under 10s. btw, at 3s into the race the S is about 2 meters ahead and it will take the mac another 3 s to switch positions. 

--

2011 CTT

2013 12C spider

2013 Audi A5 Cab

http://www.autogespot.de/porsche-991-turbo/2013/08/30

Is this Rhodium silver?

I like it very mich

I'd say GT silver this is Rhodium Boxster and Gt Carrera b23e56050ecffd9282ee981755b11ff3_zps80cac194.jpg

smith68:

Is this Rhodium silver?

I like it very mich

100% sure it's GT-Silver. Rhodium has a lot more blue hue. ;)

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

SuzyF:
    smith68:

Is this Rhodium silver?

I like it very mich

100% sure it's GT-Silver. Rhodium has a lot more blue hue. ;)

for me it's no difference

Rhodium Silver is brighter than GT Silver and has a blue hue under sunlight.

The video was taken down by Autocar, I wonder why? But here's 2 Gifs from the race!
    http://jalopnik.com/heres-the-first-porsche-911-turbo-s-vs-mclaren-12c-dr-1227864014
    HEUHEUHEUHEU 

there is no way that this thing could be real .... "even if i wanna  believe the TTS would win" ... it wont be with that EASE 

dont you agree with me guys ??

RC:

But the Turbo S is faster and I want to see the GT3 driver enjoying the car in the city, on a speed limited highway or on a speed limited country road: Smiley The GT3 engine needs revving to produce power and sound, so either you won't enjoy it or...you loose your driver license. The GT3 is the perfect track car but as a daily driver, I wouldn't be too sure about it. Also, the GT3 is no Autobahn car since even the "old" 997 Turbo (non S) destroys it on the Autobahn.

Nick, I can play this game all day long. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

at least in the GT3 you feel that you are alive. in the turbo you could be long dead and the thing will still drive you to your programmed destination. 

this is the difference between a driver's car and get-me-fast-from-A-to-B-without making-me-feel-i -am-driving - car.

here is your misconception: you will be much closer to loosing your license in the feel-next-to-nothing turbo (as i was in my M5) than in a car which conveys the road and a notion of speed to the driver, like the GT3, F458, macci MP4....just as a real supercar should.

peter

sulaiman:

there is no way that this thing could be real .... "even if i wanna  believe the TTS would win" ... it wont be with that EASE 

dont you agree with me guys ??

According to what I saw (and what I heard Smiley), there won't be many cars around to challenge the new 991 Turbo S from standstill to 100 kph (62 mph). With the exception of the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport. Smiley

Maybe McLaren protested the video and claimed that something was wrong with their car, otherwise I cannot imagine why Autocar would take down the video, especially without any explenation. Weird.

--

I hope it's true 

moo:car.

here is your misconception: you will be much closer to loosing your license in the feel-next-to-nothing turbo (as i was in my M5) than in a car which conveys the road and a notion of speed to the driver, like the GT3, F458, macci MP4....just as a real supercar should.

peter

This is why Ferrari sells a couple of hundreds of Ferraris per year in Germany and Porsche sells thousands of 911 Turbo. You just don't understand the benefits of the 911 Turbo, the benefit of NOT attracting attention. Unless of course you are the kind of person who needs and/or wants it. Like my wife dressing too sexy from time to time, just to make other women jelous (and of course a look from a man or two wouldn't hurt either... Smiley). Some people like to show off, others don't. The 911 Turbo S is just perfect for those who want to be fast, not to look and/or sound fast. Smiley

--

sulaiman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePh5xuSzETg

turbo s  Sound in some kind of warehouse !!

the best part is ... DARK BLUE

Trust me, the 991 Turbo S doesn't sound that loud, this is inside a building, which apparently boosts the sound level. Nice video but quite worthless. Like I said before, the new 991 Turbo S sounds MUCH better from the inside than the old one, you finally have a sporty sound from the inside but from the outside, the sound is the same whoosh sound like on the old Turbo S, just louder and with some short exhaust "blips" from time to time, when you release the throttle. I actually like the more subtle sound but I will know more about how much I like it (or not) if I actually own and drive the car for a couple of weeks. For those who aren't too happy with the sound, Akrapovic and Cargraphic are preparing exhaust systems and I am pretty sure that other manufacturers will offer something too, since the engine isn't basically not much different than the "old" 997 Turbo S engine.

--

That darn exhaust is ugly.  How many K's on this car? 100?  The exhaust is already discolored and looks awful.  Anyone else notice?  

http://www.autogespot.co.uk/porsche-991-turbo/2013/07/07#img1

yes for sure it wont sound that load "GOOD"  its the Echo  from that warehouse doing that magic 

regarding the aftermarket exh system .. not for me .... Smiley i hate to play with well made car 

Road Test: Porsche 911 Turbo S

(26 August 2013)

Porsche currently releasing new versions of the icon 911 Turbo and its superfast siblings the 911 Turbo S. The place to test drive the fastest of the two, is our test driver Fredrik Huldt. How impressed was he?

Fredrik Huldt test drive the Porsche 911 Turbo S on a brand new circuit in Germany

Where in the world are you? 

I'm in Germany at one of the world's most exciting and yet least known temples for all who love to drive. Bilster Berg Drive Resort. A brand new banana plant, developed in conjunction with former World Rally Champion Walter Röhrl. A monster track with real rock-and-valley slope qualities!

So how do the 911 Turbo to tackle the yard? 

Porsche model explosion in recent years has resulted in a powerful refinement of the different 911 versions. One not only a positive trend. 

As for just the turbo version of the 911, it has gone from being a hardcore model for 70 - and 80's to a slightly more luxurious car. I came here to see the new car has the ability to answer the questions that surrounded the turbo from the 996-generation and beyond.

And what did you get? 

Some straight, some slightly tortuous. I will elaborate in the next issue of Auto Motor & Sport, but this much I can say that the new Turbo S has a unique ability to take on the extreme challenge that this course offers. Steep hills, blind crests and a mix of fast and slow corners. 991 Turbo S is an atomic explosion on track. An orgy of manageability, entertainment and momentum. Real forgiveness for being a speedy svansmotorbil and also rewarding for those who want to explore the car's most extreme characteristics.

Sounds like a revolution of the Porsche Turbo? 

Yes, you could say. This is not a rush job. Porsche has been working very hard and offers a range of high-tech achievements as wheel steering, efficient Swedish (!) Four-wheel drive and an engine that delivers full 750 Nm in overboost. In addition, Turbo from now adaptive aerodynamics. As before, an active rear wing but now it may help to improve the car's aerodynamic balance with an active splitter that crawls out of the nose when you go out on a path.

Sounds promising. So how is the end result? 

A car with more power, better traction and more aerodynamic efficiency than ever before. But the best is enough balance. This car steering so much better than its predecessor to become happy in each curve. This is a genuine adrenaline machine. Which also works great for everyday use.

Smiley SmileySmiley

Hank:

That darn exhaust is ugly.  How many K's on this car? 100?  The exhaust is already discolored and looks awful.  Anyone else notice?  

http://www.autogespot.co.uk/porsche-991-turbo/2013/07/07#img1

Are you sure you are seeing what I am seeing or what you want to see? Smiley

I see a Turbo (not S) with perfectly looking silver exhaust pipes, which are a bit dirty in the lower part because of black exhaust residue.

Smiley

--

Now please tell me the S will never look like this because of the different exhaust?  Smiley I hope, I hope.  

http://marchettinoyoutube.blogspot.com/2013/08/porsche-911-turbo-s-vs-mclaren-12c.html

angel

--

2014 991 Turbo (on order, Nov Prod)
    2012 991 C2S w/Fabspeed SOLD
    2011 Ferrari 458 Italia Rosso Mondiale / cuoio
    2011 Turbo S Cab SOLD
    2010 BMW AH7 
    2010 Caddy Escalade
    2006 Cayman S First P car, SOLD

Cocodrilo:

http://marchettinoyoutube.blogspot.com/2013/08/porsche-911-turbo-s-vs-mclaren-12c.html

angel

Based on the sound (or lack of) it appears that neither of them used launch control.

yes no LC was used on that race ... so how they managed 2.9 sec ?? 

is the 2.9 sec achievable with out the LC Smiley??? then what would be the Figure with prober LC Smiley

sulaiman:

yes no LC was used on that race ... so how they managed 2.9 sec ?? 

is the 2.9 sec achievable with out the LC Smiley??? then what would be the Figure with prober LC Smiley

Keep in mind that we are talking 0-60 mph here, not 0-62 mph. So 2.9 seconds are OK. Without launch control it is even more impressive (if true), so the time with launch control should be 2.6 or 2.7 seconds (from 0-60 mph).

Best time achieved during development testing with a production specs car was 2.9 seconds from 0-62 mph (100 kph) as far as I heard but I don't know if this time has been achieved with or without launch control. Best 0-125 mph (200 kph) time was 9.7 seconds.

I am also very interested in the reason why Autocar pulled the video from their site. Kind of getting the feeling that McLaren had something to do with that.

Speaking of launch control: I never actually use it because it costs too much time, unless you just want to show off the acceleration on a deserted parking lot/country road. So the time achieved with launch control couldn't be less interesting to me, I actually think that car manufacturers should offer maximum acceleration performance without launch control. According to what I heard, the quite "complicated" launch control procedure (on ALL cars) is due to legal concerns. It would be pretty easy to implement the launch control in the "kickdown" function of the throttle, so no need for pushing a button there, pressing the brake pedal, etc. but apparently this is too dangerous and manufacturers fear legal repercussions if they would offer a too easy full acceleration from standstill. Smiley Maybe some of you noticed that when you fully press the throttle instantly on your (newer model) car (no matter what brand), there is a slight hesitation for a fraction or of a second before the car starts accelerating. This is, according to my information, not random, it seems to be some sort of safety feature, just in case someone accidentally fully presses the throttle. I find it quite idiotic because if someone accidentally presses the throttle, he would do that (I assume) for at least a second, so this is quite pointless but... Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690571 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409821 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256056 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235290 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858505 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774766 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM