Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

Tony007:
    RC:
    Rossi:
    artur777:

991 turbo is a fantastic car

BUT it should have 0-300 for 27 secs. It's the aim for the competition. 30-33 secs is not up-to-date. and 0-200 for 8.5 secs.

DEAR Porsche engineers, please tune up 991 turbo s for 620 hp to run for such figures! and you would get hundreds of additional buyers!

We will see these figures from the "40-years-Porsche-Turbo" special edition due next year. Smiley

You will see maximum 600 hp from the facelift and the engine is "done". 992(?) Turbo gets a completely new engine.

When is the facelift scheduled to arrive, as 15 or 16 model year??

2016 maybe...as a 2017 model. Not sure yet, it is too early. I heard something of three years until the facelift (engine).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

faceift of the carrera 991 or of the turbo?

and the 960?

moo:

faceift of the carrera 991 or of the turbo?

and the 960?

Turbo/Turbo S. Don't have a clue about the 960, it is a well kept secret so far. I still think next year is likely...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

...likely decision time on whether 960 or not?

moo:

When my 991 Turbo S lease ends in three years, I will go for the facelift or maybe a 991 GT2 RS (if available) if the Turbo S was too tame. I doubt I will go for the 960 for various reasons, mostly because it would attract too much attention (I have seen an early development sketch and if this is accurate, the car looks too much like an exotic for me). I am actually surprised that Porsche is not offering a GT based on the Panamera but I guess they need to wait for the next generation platform. Some sort of 928 successor could be a huge success for them, if the price and performance are right. The rumored 960 will start at over 200k EUR base price...not really a bargain.

--

so is the 960 confirmed? for 2016?

RC:
    moo:

When my 991 Turbo S lease ends in three years, I will go for the facelift or maybe a 991 GT2 RS (if available) if the Turbo S was too tame. I doubt I will go for the 960 for various reasons, mostly because it would attract too much attention (I have seen an early development sketch and if this is accurate, the car looks too much like an exotic for me). I am actually surprised that Porsche is not offering a GT based on the Panamera but I guess they need to wait for the next generation platform. Some sort of 928 successor could be a huge success for them, if the price and performance are right. The rumored 960 will start at over 200k EUR base price...not really a bargain.

i find already the panamera a monstrosity. a panamera GT would be worse, same league as the BMW X5M or X6M....totally unforgivable.

RC:

Is it just me or do the GT3 wheels look just perfect on the new Turbo S? no

Without a doubt the best looking Porsche wheels. But they belong on the GT3 and Turbo buyers can't have them.Smiley

nberry:
    RC:

Is it just me or do the GT3 wheels look just perfect on the new Turbo S? no

Without a doubt the best looking Porsche wheels. But they belong on the GT3 and Turbo buyers can't have them.Smiley

They look absolutely perfect! Is a C4S owner allowed to have them?? (If it can be made possible...) SmileySmiley

I guess (hope) there will be some aftermarket wheels that look like the Gt3 wheels. 

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

moo:
    RC:
    moo:

i find already the panamera a monstrosity. a panamera GT would be worse, same league as the BMW X5M or X6M....totally unforgivable.

Not BMW GT (3er & 5er) but a two door coupe. There are lots of old renders and it could be stunning up against the likes of the Bentley continental, AM, M6 etc...

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

i have owned a BMW M5 and i never ever want to get close to a 2000 kg car again. never ever. initially seductive through straight line acceleration but eventually frustrating. 1500kg max. 

peter

moo:
    RC:

You don't seem to understand: Over here in Germany, I get middle fingers and raised fists from people on the sidewalk because of my Cayenne GTS or the 991 Carrera S Cab I drove recently. In the 991 Turbo S, I can actually fully accelerate and nobody cares, which for ME is a huge relief. Unless you want to provoke, which can get very unpleasant over here. Attracting too much attention isn't healthy...for various reasons. Unless you really WANT it (which I don't).

RC,

my native country is austria and i do get a lot of thumbs-up and 'please rev it for me'  when i go around in my 458 in vienna. it does make me embarrassed sometimes and i don't like people take pictures of my car, but it is NEVER middle fingers and raised fists.  so after all i am lucky and i appreciate that it is different where you live. but anyway, the really important gauges are the speed cams and they do not distinguish between your turbo S and my F458.

in any case, the turbo (S) is a fantastic technological accomplishment of a carmaker which we all love.  i would have just liked it to be more......sensual.

surely the 960 will fill that description for both of us.

peter

That 's the problem with the 991Turbo S, price wise it almost enters on super car territory without being one, it lacks the wow factor Lambos and Ferrari have, it doesn't look has good, doesn't sound as good and doesn't steer your mind like a SP always do. These cars are all about emotions, on a Lamborghini or Ferrari the lower driving position is already an event, you turn the engine on and you just smile, you're not moving and you already having fun, you cruise at 50kph and you're having fun,you cruise at 300kph and you're having fun, you turn flat and you're having fun, you park the car in garage bleeping the throttle before shutting off the engine and you're having fun, you close the door and while leaving the garage you give a final look and you're having fun!!! This is what make a car special in a very intimate way, not the fact it's perfect and practical and powerful, but the fact is has a compromise, it doesn't offer you everything , but what it does offer, makes you feel in heaven.

J.Seven

You have to remember Porsche is German... The 911 fits the German mentality IMO vs say Italian exotics.  Not comparing apples to apples.

J.Seven:
    moo:
    RC:

You don't seem to understand: Over here in Germany, I get middle fingers and raised fists from people on the sidewalk because of my Cayenne GTS or the 991 Carrera S Cab I drove recently. In the 991 Turbo S, I can actually fully accelerate and nobody cares, which for ME is a huge relief. Unless you want to provoke, which can get very unpleasant over here. Attracting too much attention isn't healthy...for various reasons. Unless you really WANT it (which I don't).

RC,

my native country is austria and i do get a lot of thumbs-up and 'please rev it for me'  when i go around in my 458 in vienna. it does make me embarrassed sometimes and i don't like people take pictures of my car, but it is NEVER middle fingers and raised fists.  so after all i am lucky and i appreciate that it is different where you live. but anyway, the really important gauges are the speed cams and they do not distinguish between your turbo S and my F458.

in any case, the turbo (S) is a fantastic technological accomplishment of a carmaker which we all love.  i would have just liked it to be more......sensual.

peter

That 's the problem with the 991Turbo S, price wise it almost enters on super car territory without being one, it lacks the wow factor Lambos and Ferrari have, it doesn't look has good, doesn't sound as good and doesn't steer your mind like a SP always do. These cars are all about emotions, on a Lamborghini or Ferrari the lower driving position is already an event, you turn the engine on and you just smile, you're not moving and you already having fun, you cruise at 50kph and you're having fun,you cruise at 300kph and you're having fun, you turn flat and you're having fun, you park the car in garage bleeping the throttle before shutting off the engine and you're having fun, you close the door and while leaving the garage you give a final look and you're having fun!!! This is what make a car special in a very intimate way, not the fact it's perfect and practical and powerful, but the fact is has a compromise, it doesn't offer you everything , but what it does offer, makes you feel in heaven.

J.Seven

I wish I would have written that. It is so right on. Perfect description of what a super sport car should be.Smiley

RC:
    moo:
    RC,

peter

Vienna is a big city but I live in a relatively small city with a very high percentage of workers (lower middle class). A Ferrari would be a disaster for me. People over here care way too much about others and while I actually couldn't care less what they think about me, I have two kids and I don't want them to get in trouble because of me. So far, me and my wife managed everything pretty well, we succeeded in keeping the envy level as low as possible, for the benefit of our kids. If we attract too much attention, things could change. We even forbid our kids to show off their vacation photos because their friends usually go camping or visit their grandparents during their vacations, while ours spent their time in New York and Las Vegas. You get the point...

I understand now.  You need to move to a better (higher class) neighborhood. 

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

That's what I have been thinking.  He needs to move up and maybe spend more on rent.  My neighborhood is full of supercars and vacations to Vegas and NY would be cheap and boring actually.  My kids would be embarrassed to show such pictures.  Around here in KC we have multi-million dollar vacation lake homes and travel all over the world all year long, like me. Smiley My car attracts zero attention but I would not care if it did.  A Lambo or even Veyron would not get anyone excited at all on the Plaza.

moo:
    lor:

www.evo.co.uk   my copy paste won't work,sometimes can't eve post here on RT

evo nailed the problem of the turbo S. super-fast, super-engineered but soul-less. nobody NEEDS a super car, there must be something very sensual in it to make one want the car .....other that raw speed and acceleration. if i spend so much money (it is almost in F458 and MP4-12C territory) i want sensual excitement whenever i see and drive the car. flying under my neighbors radar of envy is good but definitely not good enough. but to each his own....

peter

Honestly, this evo summary is the summary of a test driver - not of a buyer of these cars. A test driver has not the same possibilities to judge a car like a buyer does. Porsche drivers mostly buy their cars to really use them. They do not look for the thrill effect that makes a 30 minutes test drive a major experience. They have a different perspective. If you have a feel for perfection and precision (steering, suspension, gearbox etc.) and if you really like driving a lot - there is no substitute to Porsche Smiley Ferrari, for example, is nice for a short-term experience. However, in the longer run, well - a matter of taste...

RC:
    moo:

When my 991 Turbo S lease ends in three years, I will go for the facelift or maybe a 991 GT2 RS (if available) if the Turbo S was too tame. I doubt I will go for the 960 for various reasons, mostly because it would attract too much attention (I have seen an early development sketch and if this is accurate, the car looks too much like an exotic for me). 

You cite the reasons, based on my perspective, why there will never be a 960. There won't be enough buyers, I belive.

SoCal Alan:
    RC:
    moo:
    RC,

peter

Vienna is a big city but I live in a relatively small city with a very high percentage of workers (lower middle class). A Ferrari would be a disaster for me. People over here care way too much about others and while I actually couldn't care less what they think about me, I have two kids and I don't want them to get in trouble because of me. So far, me and my wife managed everything pretty well, we succeeded in keeping the envy level as low as possible, for the benefit of our kids. If we attract too much attention, things could change. We even forbid our kids to show off their vacation photos because their friends usually go camping or visit their grandparents during their vacations, while ours spent their time in New York and Las Vegas. You get the point...

Good idea actually)

Attended the 50 Porsche Central Europe 50 Years Event in Bratislava (Bratislavaring track - Slovakia) . Saw the 911 Turbo S in real but no test drive , customer embargo until Franfkfurt presentation. I must say that it looks really good . What the pictures do non render are the proportions, the car is much more sporty than it show in photos, the rear is the very best part of it.  The sound from the little I heard is (imho) an improvement vs the 997 Turbo , there is a deeper growl but I guess it is not the highlight of the car. Had a short test drive in the 991 GT3 and I am impressed how good the GT3 is , sharp, precise the engine sound is magnificient  and the progressions between 7 K and 9 K rpm   memorable.   Then had a go in a standard 991 S and what a disappointment compared to the GT3 they are truly world apart ( funny enough in my previous test drives I quite liked the 991S) .  Will definitely buy one (in paint to sample).2.jpg12.jpg3.jpg

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

keithos27:

You have to remember Porsche is German... The 911 fits the German mentality IMO vs say Italian exotics.  Not comparing apples to apples.

Smiley The 991 Turbo S wants to be a stealth super car, it doesn't want to show off. It fits the German (and now European) mentality, pretty well right now. 

In Italy, Ferrari sales have dropped by almost 50% because of the Italian IRS coming on hard on wealthy people. A Porsche is still considered to be an "acceptable" sports car without the "in your face" attitude. This is highly appreciated in Europe, especially now. It may also be appreciated in the US where I started to sense more envy than in previous years. I saw my first strike in the US at the Cosmopolitan hotel in LV and they were pretty aggressive (when I tried to enter the hotel with my family, one guy put himself in front of my daughter and didn't want to let her in...told him he has five seconds to move away before I punch him...and it worked), yelling all sorts of stuff you don't want your kids to hear.

I cannot "afford" (from a social point of view) driving an exotic (I wish I could, honestly) and I am happy if I do NOT attract too much attention with my car(s). Unfortunately, even a 991 Turbo S will attract more attention than I wish for but many people can't make a difference between a Carrera, a Turbo or a GT3, so a 911 is still "acceptable" in Germany, a Ferrari definitely NOT. This is life, I cannot change it.

--

RC:
    keithos27:

Smiley The 991 Turbo S wants to be a stealth super car, it doesn't want to show off. It fits the German (and now European) mentality, pretty well right now. 

In Italy, Ferrari sales have dropped by almost 50% because of the Italian IRS coming on hard on wealthy people. A Porsche is still considered to be an "acceptable" sports car without the "in your face" attitude. This is highly appreciated in Europe, especially now. It may also be appreciated in the US where I started to sense more envy than in previous years. I saw my first strike in the US at the Cosmopolitan hotel in LV and they were pretty aggressive (when I tried to enter the hotel with my family, one guy put himself in front of my daughter and didn't want to let her in...told him he has five seconds to move away before I punch him...and it worked), yelling all sorts of stuff you don't want your kids to hear.

I cannot "afford" (from a social point of view) driving an exotic (I wish I could, honestly) and I am happy if I do NOT attract too much attention with my car(s). Unfortunately, even a 991 Turbo S will attract more attention than I wish for but many people can't make a difference between a Carrera, a Turbo or a GT3, so a 911 is still "acceptable" in Germany, a Ferrari definitely NOT. This is life, I cannot change it.

Christian, why don't you change your place of residence? for more lovely one where there is no social harassment against exotic and flashy cars?

MKSGR:
    RC:
    moo:

When my 991 Turbo S lease ends in three years, I will go for the facelift or maybe a 991 GT2 RS (if available) if the Turbo S was too tame. I doubt I will go for the 960 for various reasons, mostly because it would attract too much attention (I have seen an early development sketch and if this is accurate, the car looks too much like an exotic for me). 

You cite the reasons, based on my perspective, why there will never be a 960. There won't be enough buyers, I belive.

I heard that there is still some "resistance" at VW Group management regarding a 960 project, maybe because it could hurt Lamborghini Cabrera and Audi R8 sales (and it would for sure). From my point of view, a GT2 RS would make more sense...and a GT Coupe based on the next Panamera platform, some sort of 928 successor. I know many Panamera buyers who would actually prefer a 2-door instead of a 4-door car.

The problem of a GT2 RS would be: What engine to use? The next gen 911 engine is still at least 3-4 years away (development) and the current turbo engine is at it's power limit. Another problem would be PDK: Apparently ZF cannot deliver a PDK version which withstands much more torque. So the GT2 RS would have to be limited in torque output somehow. Not easy for developers.

I do not pretend to know it all, so maybe there will be an engine solution for a 991 GT2 RS but I highly doubt they would use the "old" Mezger engine for that purpose. So maybe we are in for a surprise, maybe the next gen turbo engine development is almost finished and maybe they are even going to use it in the 991 Turbo/Turbo S facelift. Who knows but everything I heard so far doesn't indicate that. Smiley

Surprise, surprise...I guess. Smiley

--

artur777:

Good idea actually)

I actually live in one of the best neighborhoods in my town but there are some less wealthy people there living too, who bought their houses in the 50s and 60s and who live a little bit down the road. Smiley Most people in my neighborhood are considered upper middle class but this doesn't help much with the mentality.

Even in better (higher class) neighborhoods, exotic sports cars are very very seldom over here. Wealthy Germans over here tend to hide their wealth as much as possible, they do not show off. It is not considered "classy" to show off, buying a Ferrari or Lamborghini in my neighborhood would be considered tasteless and quite frankly..."cheap".

I know, I know...this has to sound crazy for many of you but this is how it works. A friend of mine who lives in Grünwald, one of the best neighborhoods in Munich, has recently renovated his house...from the inside only. He kept the outside almost untouched, just a little bit of cleaning. The reason? He didn't want to attract too much attention, his house looks pretty old (and almost dirty...) from the outside but the inside...wow...latest gadgetry, he has even a camera in his fridge and he can control everything through his smartphone. Smiley His garage has space for two cars only but he has a garden entrance where he could keep a couple of cars more. He doesn't. He drives a BMW 7 series for work and his wife uses a BMW 1series Cab. Now his secret (I hope he doesn't read this... Smiley): He keeps a Lamborghini Murcielago and a Ferrari F430 Spider in a garage more than 10km away from his home. He rented the place and he drives there on weekends or after work, takes his toy(s) for a ride and drives back. Never does he drive in his toys home.

This is Germany. Another example: My dentist (and family friend) owns a 911 Carrera Cab. I visited him and his wife at least for two years before I actually found out, by mistake, that he owns a Porsche. Keep in mind that I always met him driving my Porsche. He never mentioned his. I saw him only in a Volvo station wagon. Again...Germany. You don't show off wealth, unless you can "afford" it (no kids, no clients, no weird neighbors or you just don't care or aren't aware of what people think). 

--

RC:
    I do not pretend to know it all, so maybe there will be an engine solution for a 991 GT2 RS but I highly doubt they would use the "old" Mezger engine for that purpose. So maybe we are in for a surprise, maybe the next gen turbo engine development is almost finished and maybe they are even going to use it in the 991 Turbo/Turbo S facelift. Who knows but everything I heard so far doesn't indicate that. Smiley

The old engine seems not well suited indeed. I am just thinking of the timing requirements for the first registration of the 997GT2RS (had to be done in 2010, otherwise a registration would have been no longer allowed due to emission levels of of the engine...) Smiley

RC:
    artur777:

Good idea actually)

I actually live in one of the best neighborhoods in my town but there are some less wealthy people there living too, who bought their houses in the 50s and 60s and who live a little bit down the road. Smiley Most people in my neighborhood are considered upper middle class but this doesn't help much with the mentality.

Even in better (higher class) neighborhoods, exotic sports cars are very very seldom over here. Wealthy Germans over here tend to hide their wealth as much as possible, they do not show off. It is not considered "classy" to show off, buying a Ferrari or Lamborghini in my neighborhood would be considered tasteless and quite frankly..."cheap".

I know, I know...this has to sound crazy for many of you but this is how it works. A friend of mine who lives in Grünwald, one of the best neighborhoods in Munich, has recently renovated his house...from the inside only. He kept the outside almost untouched, just a little bit of cleaning. The reason? He didn't want to attract too much attention, his house looks pretty old (and almost dirty...) from the outside but the inside...wow...latest gadgetry, he has even a camera in his fridge and he can control everything through his smartphone. Smiley His garage has space for two cars only but he has a garden entrance where he could keep a couple of cars more. He doesn't. He drives a BMW 7 series for work and his wife uses a BMW 1series Cab. Now his secret (I hope he doesn't read this... Smiley): He keeps a Lamborghini Murcielago and a Ferrari F430 Spider in a garage more than 10km away from his home. He rented the place and he drives there on weekends or after work, takes his toy(s) for a ride and drives back. Never does he drive in his toys home.

This is Germany. Another example: My dentist (and family friend) owns a 911 Carrera Cab. I visited him and his wife at least for two years before I actually found out, by mistake, that he owns a Porsche. Keep in mind that I always met him driving my Porsche. He never mentioned his. I saw him only in a Volvo station wagon. Again...Germany. You don't show off wealth, unless you can "afford" it (no kids, no clients, no weird neighbors or you just don't care or aren't aware of what people think). 

--

Yeahm I understand you, strange times!

I could imagine a new development based on the new 991 GT3 engine but... yes

I am also still wondering about that tri-turbo engine rumor we heard last year and early this year. Maybe Porsche has a bigger surprise for us but so far, I haven't heard anything new.

--

Autocar reviews the base Turbo: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/911/first-drives/porsche-911-turbo-first-drive-review

--

1987 911 Carrera 3.2 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S - 1995 BMW318ti

Mikla:

Autocar reviews the base Turbo: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/911/first-drives/porsche-911-turbo-first-drive-review

Thanks but this is the typical car journalist write-up, nothing new here.

He forgets to mention that the PCCB brakes provide a better (and more precise) braking point.

He forgets to mention that the LED lights are amazing (you will love them, especially at night).

He forgets to mention the missing better throttle response (which is worth gold on a car with a little turbo lag) of the Sport Chrono package, not to forget the 20 seconds overboost.

He forgets to mention that the Sport Chrono Sport Plus setting also has influence on the PDK shifting behavior/speeds.

He forgets to mention that the Turbo (without S) sounds a little bit less sporty since Porsche gave it a different sound symposer programming.

He forgets to mention that the additional 200 rpm actually MAKE a difference since the engine feels more free in the upper rev range, as ridiculous the 200 rpm may sound.

He forgets to mention that the the Turbo S has PTV Plus and PDDC as standard.

He forgets to mention that without Sport Plus button, there is NO launch control.

"It doesn’t have that all-important badge on the back, mind, and in certain circles, that’s everything, even if to the rest of us it means not a whole lot."

Seriously? I can put a Turbo S badge on the regular Turbo in no time and nobody would actually know the difference since both cars actually look alike (unless people really care about Porsche and know about the subtle differences).

Sorry, I cannot take this "review" seriously. The guy who wrote this just wanted to make some sort of sensational point ("looky here...the Turbo is the same, only much cheaper").

In a more serious review, he should have mentioned that in reality, taking in consideration the standard options of the Turbo S, the additional 40 hp and some other goodies, actually cost only an additional 3-4k USD or so compared to the regular Turbo. Unless someone really wants to order a "naked" Turbo without any of the performance enhancing options, which would be stupid.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM