Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

4trac:
    SuzyF:
    4trac:
    BiTurbo:

By now it is absolutely clear that PAG is releasing all these stunning yellow test cars, for the single reason to convince our esteemed RC to change his order to .... YELLOW!   Lets hear it for non-boring turbos!  smiley

Am I the only one that thinks that Racing Yellow (too bright), is an ugly color on most Porsches, except maybe the Cayman??

No, I agree yellow is an acquired taste, and may be another example of the preference differences between NA and Europe.  But whenever I have seen a yellow turbo over here, anything from 993s onward to 997s, it just "pops" with such a happy, cheerful, and fun look.  To me it gives the turbo a playful personality that the power perhaps deserves - OTOH the usual sombre shades of grey are perfect for those who want to appear very serious about their power.  Smiley The biggest downside to yellow is that it more or less only works with black interior; and the attempts to lighten this with yellow seat belts or painted console etc are usually a bit tacky IMO.  

Strange thing is that I like a 993 or even a 997 in yellow, but correct me if I'm wrong, those were Speed Yellow.

It's that Racing Yellow that I don't like for some unknown reason, especially on the Turbo. Maybe because it's a more pale yellow color?... I don't know.

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

The speed yellow looked very good on the 996 GT3 (gen 1 and 2).

--

"Form follows function"

White

Racing Yellow

Guards Red

Rhodium Silver Metallic

Yellow and white look great , though the wheels (very imho) look after market (or after thought..). Looking forward to see it in real.

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

devil in a red dress

Porsche-911-991-Turbo-2013-www.hartvoorautos-2.jpgPorsche-911-991-Turbo-2013-www.hartvoorautos-1.jpgPorsche-911-991-Turbo-2013-www.hartvoorautos-4.jpg

Silver is the safe choice. The default colour for Porsche.

White is the elegant choice. It suits the styling very much.

Yellow is the risky choice. Aggressive and different but OTT. It might become annoying with time.

Red is not a choice. Not suitable.

As to the wheels none of the two look right for the car. If I had to choose I would drop the Cayenne-style ones.

--

"Form follows function"

I'm between White and Black... and like three different interior color combos.  Colors are definitely the hardest decisions to make.  :(

Black colour only! 

fritz:
    Rossi:
    Rossi:

How about this one?

991_turbo_new_wheels.jpg

Nobody likes "my" wheels? Smiley

It's not that, Rossi. 

It's just that they've all been kneeling down next to their cars with hacksaws in their hands for hours. Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

Let me know how they turn out in real. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    Rossi:

How about this one?

991_turbo_new_wheels.jpg

Nobody likes "my" wheels? Smiley

The best rims so far Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

@Rossi: Do you mind if I say that they are a little too Ferrari-ish??  :)  looks like they came from a 430...

--

SuzyF:

@Rossi: Do you mind if I say that they are a little too Ferrari-ish??  :)  looks like they came from a 430...

Well, to be honest, I thought the same after my limited PS-skills. Smiley

Though I thought they remind me more of the ones from the 599 GTB. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

SuzyF:

suzy, that is really an insult to ferrari.----)))) their red looks so much better than porsche's.

the turbo has a coke bottle look from the rear, it is too high in the rear and in the front (to accomodate the plastic spoilers i suppose) and the rear wing looks like cheapo aftermarket (although i am sure there is hi tech behind it). i just cannot believe the the beautiful and purposeful GT3 comes out of the same design studio as this ugly duckling. boxster looks excellent, cayman ok and carrera very good. the turbo went wrong, designwise, IMHO. it is only sort of bearable in black....but again to each his own...

peter

I agree for some parts with you. It's not the best looking 991... That said, it's again a car that has to grow on you. I hated the Panamera when I saw the first pictures. After seeing the car in person I very slowly started to get used to it and now I love it...yes

The Turbo looks good from some angles, from some it does not. The rear is IMO one step too far. it looks too wide, compared to the front. On the other hand, as a daily driver, I still think that this is by far the best car, compared to its opponents. I can't think of a car with the same power, practicallity and usability. You can drive to a businessmeetng, go for a long hingway trip, go to a track, drive on that track, go back in stormy, rainy weather, drive it in the snow.... Make a roadtrip. Of course... That can also be done with a C4 or C4S.... Just has a little bit less power :)

There's still no substitute..... ;)

Regarding the spoiler...  personally I like this better than that one on the GT3 frown  Have to admit that I'm not a fan of any spoiler or wing on a car. I absolutely love the GT3... Would immediately buy one if it didn't have that wing. It's too boy-racer-ish for me, at least as a daily driver.  On the other hand...  Probably will buy one in the future as a fun car, regardless if it has a wing or not LOL.  I adore that sound!

--

SuzyF:

I agree for some parts with you. It's not the best looking 991... That said, it's again a car that has to grow on you. I hated the Panamera when I saw the first pictures. After seeing the car in person I very slowly started to get used to it and now I love it...yes

The Turbo looks good from some angles, from some it does not. The rear is IMO one step too far. it looks too wide, compared to the front. On the other hand, as a daily driver, I still think that this is by far the best car, compared to its opponents. I can't think of a car with the same power, practicallity and usability. You can drive to a businessmeetng, go for a long hingway trip, go to a track, drive on that track, go back in stormy, rainy weather, drive it in the snow.... Make a roadtrip. Of course... That can also be done with a C4 or C4S.... Just has a little bit less power :)

There's still no substitute..... ;)

Regarding the spoiler...  personally I like this better than that one on the GT3 frown  Have to admit that I'm not a fan of any spoiler or wing on a car. I absolutely love the GT3... Would immediately buy one if it didn't have that wing. It's too boy-racer-ish for me, at least as a daily driver.  On the other hand...  Probably will buy one in the future as a fun car, regardless if it has a wing or not LOL.  I adore that sound!

For me the "problem" is not the rear. It's the front that is a little "weak" in relation to the rear. The silly little rubber lip detracts from the metal in the front, As it is dark in color, it makes the front look chinless. Perhaps a comparison to the RSR, where the front  is in proportion to the rear,better illustrates my point.

I think I am turning traitor. The more I looked at the 991 Turbo S and check the price, the more I like the Ferrari FF. Especially now I am in LA and see a couple of those a day.

Whichever way you look at it the Turbo is the least successful 991 design.

Parts of the shape look OK in isolation but when composed they don't look that good. The GT3 in spite of its extreme elements looks more balanced and alludes to motorsport.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Whichever way you look at it the Turbo is the least successful 991 design.

Parts of the shape look OK in isolation but when composed they don't look that good. The GT3 in spite of its extreme elements looks more balanced and alludes to motorsport.

That is a very subjective consideration.

I, for one, disagree.

I also don't like the rear spoilers on the Turbo and the GT3. Just too much. And for my taste, the Turbos front is not in sync with the wide rear end. The front is generally the weakest part of all 911s, but on the Turbo it becomes very obvious. 

On the other hand, there is no supercar with that level of usability for every day driving.

dxpetrov Smiley, i was just gonna add that!

"It wasn’t just a matter of recalibration, though. Porsche engineer’s additional fun “creates a higher load in extra heat and stresses for the piston. We’ve thus reinforced the pistons – and because we’ve added extra material, we’ve also had to fit new conrods, 2mm shorter than the regular turbo items."

http://fortyonesix.com/news/1320/porsche-re-engineers-turbo-s-fo

talk about  "hardware" differnece  between the turbo and the turbo s!!

Another review

http://cars.uk.msn.com/reviews/porsche-911-991-turbo-and-turbo-s-review-2013-onwards

Still my favorite "It means this is the most pure and Porsche-like 911 Turbo ever. Porsche has even engineered the Turbo S, at great expense, just to have a 7,200rpm red line, 200rpm higher than the Turbo. Why? "Fun for the driver." No other reason. That says it all."

orsi2003:

"It wasn’t just a matter of recalibration, though. Porsche engineer’s additional fun “creates a higher load in extra heat and stresses for the piston. We’ve thus reinforced the pistons – and because we’ve added extra material, we’ve also had to fit new conrods, 2mm shorter than the regular turbo items."

This is deeply impressive, I am having a change of heart about Porsche being so marketing led, thicker pistons and specific conrods just for a "fun" is simply awesome Smiley

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

TB993tt:
    orsi2003:

This is deeply impressive, I am having a change of heart about Porsche being so marketing led, thicker pistons and specific conrods just for a "fun" is simply awesome Smiley

No surprise, if you see the upgrades  incorporated in the various X51 kits , for 20-30 PS more.

--

"Form follows function"

SuzyF:

I agree, but I am finding all the "spokes with holes" looks to be getting a bit overdone, and tending to just look too busy - maybe its time for a return to simple and solid spoked wheels (a la 993 turbo).  I'm wondering how one of the classic Ruf 5-spoke designs would look - any PS gurus care to try? Smiley

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

More video reviews:

nice to see all these reviews finally coming in..... That red Turbo is hot, I am pretty sure its the fastest color of them all.

This is the best 911 to me. A new generation. More exotic than ever. And thats a good thing angry

I cant think of a better, faster, nicer car for everyday use in the world today. Well done Porsche. 

--

2011 Ferrari 458 Italia Rosso Mondiale / cuoio
    2011 Turbo S Cabriolet Guards Red/2tone Black Cream SOLD
    2010 BMW activehybrid7 Black/Black (DD)
    2010 Cadillac Escalade hybrid
    2006 Cayman S with goodies (WC) SOLD

The "fun" thing (revving to 7200) sounds nice but the truth is that both engines are the SAME and the Turbo S needed that extra 200 rpm for a more ideal shifting point, which of course improves fun.

Sounds too technical, so I guess the "fun" argument is better. *LOL*

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Cocodrilo:

nice to see all these reviews finally coming in..... That red Turbo is hot, I am pretty sure its the fastest color of them all.

This is the best 911 to me. A new generation. More exotic than ever. And thats a good thing angry

I cant think of a better, faster, nicer car for everyday use in the world today. Well done Porsche. 

When the 996 Turbo showed up, criticism was huge. Then, the 996 Turbo sold in the US for a premium of up to 50k USD for a short while. With the new GT3 offering PDK and making this car more accesible to thr average driver, people think they are getting the ultimate 911. The truth is however that, considering ALL aspects, the 991 Turbo S is a much better performer. People will learn that the "hard" way when they actually meet one live on the road.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688294 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408611 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255489 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234721 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65350 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857486 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773219 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM