Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 458 Speciale intro

Ugly as hell! Especially rear part, that from being round and beaty became a square piece of ...

So, clearly we can see the lack of style after pininfarina depart.

--

sportcars-history.com

Press release;

The Ferrari 458 Speciale to debut at Frankfurt

Extreme technology for an uncompromising new V8

Maranello, 20th August 2013 - The 458 Speciale is the latest product of Ferrari's core philosophy of extreme technological innovation and research which, in this instance, has yielded powertrain, aerodynamics and vehicle dynamics advances that transform the already exceptional 458 Italia into a car genuinely worthy of the "Speciale" moniker. The result is a completely new, uncompromising, streamlined sports car concept.

Many of the sophisticated solutions being applied for the very first time to an in-range car in the 458 Speciale, including its advanced active aerodynamics, will become a standard feature of all new Ferraris in the future.

Flanked in the Maranello marque's range by the multi-award-winning 458 Italia and 458 Spider, the new mid-rear-engined V8 berlinetta was designed to boost both performance and driving emotion to unprecedented levels, yet simultaneously guarantee smooth, effortless control in all kinds of situations.

Having lavished meticulous attention on the power unit that was named "Best Performance Engine" at the International Engine of the Year Awards for two consecutive years, Ferrari has now built its most powerful naturally aspirated V8 ever (605 cv) with an extraordinary specific power output of 135 cv/l , the highest ever achieved by a road-going naturally aspirated engine.

Thanks to an equally exceptional weight/power ratio of just 2.13 kg/cv, the 458 Speciale can sprint from 0 to 100 km/h in a mere 3.0" (0-200 km/h in 9.1") and also clocked a lap time of just 1'23"5 at the Fiorano Circuit.

Aerodynamic requirements guided the work of the Ferrari Styling Centre, which led the project in cooperation with Pininfarina, to sculpt the car's forms to ensure they were more performance-oriented than ever. The most notable features in this sense are the front and rear movable aerodynamics which balance downforce and cut drag, thus helping make the 458 Speciale the most aerodynamically efficient range production car in Ferrari history (E Index of 1.5)

The technology used in the vehicle dynamics subsystems which gives the driver instant confidence and control at high speeds, natural power oversteer management and precise response to commands are further advances in an area in which Ferrari is already a well-established leader.

One of the most innovative content of the 458 Speciale is the Side Slip angle Control system (SSC) which makes it easier to achieve car control on the limit, thereby greatly improving driving emotions. Thanks to the development of an accurate new algorithm SSC performs instant-to-instant analysis of the car's side slip, comparing it with the target value and then optimising both torque management (via integration with F1-Trac traction control) and torque distribution between the two wheels (via integration with the E-Diff electronic differential).

Part and parcel of the car's development included Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2 tyres which were specifically honed for it in an intensive collaboration programme involving, amongst other factors, numerous track test and simulator sessions. Conceived for the 458 Speciale, they boost performance over a single lap in the dry as well as improving performance consistency in subsequent laps. They also allow the car to avail of maximum available grip in the wet.

The abovementioned technical content has improved the 458 Speciale's single lap time and also delivers repeatability of that performance on subsequent laps that is absolutely unprecedented for a car not designed exclusively for track use. The result is that the 458 Speciale has the fastest response time (0.060 s) and highest lateral acceleration (1.33 g) ever achieved by a car in the Prancing Horse range.

The 458 Speciale will receive its public world debut at the Frankfurt International Motor Show in September.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION SUMMARY
    Engine
    Type V8 - 90°
    Total displacement 4495 cm3
    Max. power output 605 cv at 9000 rpm
    Max. torque 540 Nm at 6000 rpm
    Weight
    Dry weight 1290 kg
    Weight/power ratio 2.13 kg/cv

This is the first time, I don't like the special version of the V8-model. enlightened

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Ugly as hell yes

they know too how to milk their customer base - wonder what the "wet weight" is yes

I'm sure there will be a lineup of 458 owners who will trade their barely used cars in to get one these to barely use. It looks odd to me, especially the front end, but I would bet it would be a fantastic drive.

Wow, I really like it. Not the name, I would prefer Monte Carlo

kudryavchik:

Ugly as hell! Especially rear part, that from being round and beaty became a square piece of ...

--

sportcars-history.com

Actually, Pininfarina was part of the design process! This car is not about looks though, it's about performance. 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:
    kudryavchik:

--

sportcars-history.com

Actually, Pininfarina was part of the design process! This car is not about looks though, it's about performance. 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Pininfarina designed the original car, but not this...

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:
    REALZEUS:
    kudryavchik:

--

sportcars-history.com

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I am afraid you are wrong again. From the official Ferrari press release:

Aerodynamic requirements guided the work of the Ferrari Styling Centre, which led the project in cooperation with Pininfarina, to sculpt the car’s forms to ensure they were more performance-oriented than ever. The most notable features in this sense are the front and rear movable aerodynamics which balance downforce and cut drag, thus helping make the 458 Speciale the most aerodynamically efficient range production car in Ferrari history (E Index of 1.5)

http://458speciale.ferrari.com/en#overview

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

IMO they have a "name" problem - LaFerrari, Speciale...heart

Blueflame

blueflame:

IMO they have a "name" problem - LaFerrari, Speciale...heart

Blueflame

Italians can pull it off...think of Quattroporte(ok LaF is too much even for them)     Wheels are gorgeous,the rest is not as good visually as Scuderiia was compared to 430

Finally fixed the oversmoothed ugly front lower intake and too small and pointy tear ducts medial to the headlights with a properly aggressive nose appropriate for a supercar...bravo!

Notch on passenger bulkhead now better  accomodates the biggest boners.

Red with white/ blue stripe recalls but doesnt exactly copy the paint scheme of some famous vintage  tracked Ferraris such as the 250 Testa Rossa that sold for close to 20 million at auction not that long ago..this exact reveal car would look great with the same colored  bright blue fabric on the seats,like many red track Ferraris had back then.

REALZEUS:
    kudryavchik:
    REALZEUS:
    kudryavchik:

--

sportcars-history.com

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I am afraid you are wrong again. From the official Ferrari press release:

Aerodynamic requirements guided the work of the Ferrari Styling Centre, which led the project in cooperation with Pininfarina, to sculpt the car’s forms to ensure they were more performance-oriented than ever. The most notable features in this sense are the front and rear movable aerodynamics which balance downforce and cut drag, thus helping make the 458 Speciale the most aerodynamically efficient range production car in Ferrari history (E Index of 1.5)

http://458speciale.ferrari.com/en#overview

Then it is even worse. Cant believe that pininfarina could make such a lame design.

--

sportcars-history.com

The point was not to make a pretty car. The point was to make an aerodynamic one! Every scoop and winglet is functional and serves a purpose. That is why the Speciale is the most aerodynamically effective Ferrari ever, bar the LaFerrari.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

The point was not to make a pretty car. The point was to make an aerodynamic one! Every scoop and winglet is functional and serves a purpose. That is why the Speciale is the most aerodynamically effective Ferrari ever, bar the LaFerrari.

Agree...the most aggressive road  version of the mid engined V8 Ferrari should visibly recall a track only version, not be "pretty " like an Aston Martin or base Italia. Whereas the base model looks languidly sleek, long and slightly "melted " , the Speciale looks tense and ready to pounce.

Many  initial reactions/comments here and on Ferrari Chat seem "unclear on the concept " , IMO !

REALZEUS:

Maybe it is more aero efficient than original one, ok, but like with p1 - i dont like itSmiley This car has lots of smooth parts, so what for did they use so much sharp details? F.E. rear part, it simply doesn't correspond with sidelines. Also, new front intakes - like on 458 gt3 car - ugly. And once again, about form follow function, what about final efficiency of old flexible "aero" elements on the front?) 

--

sportcars-history.com

My initial reaction was that it looks like something Mansory would come up with. I'm with Stefan..... it's the first V8 special that does not look better than the standard car upon which it is based IMHO.

Oh boy... What a pity... mail

--

There is no try. Just do.

REALZEUS:

Interesting to note that the Pininfarina badge has disappeared from the rear lower sill on the body Smiley

13770091963061.JPG

Indeed it is missing because it is not Designed by Pininfarina, instead Pininfarina has contributed to the design.

The moment I saw it, I did not like the design either. But I guess it is a case of acquired taste. Also, 3D sketches rarely do a design justice. 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

ISUK:

My initial reaction was that it looks like something Mansory would come up with. I'm with Stefan..... it's the first V8 special that does not look better than the standard car upon which it is based IMHO.

I agree it doesn't look great in the photos,but we know the Ferrari launch photos rarely do the car justice. All this active air management is doing little for the looks of cars IMHO across the board. Some of it here looks merely like a stick on, but as ever we need to wait to see it in the metal. Nevertheless, I suspect its going to be great to drive and hear at full pelt.

I'm not a Ferrari man so I hesitate to comment, but I quite like it.

Ugly and disappointing.

I would never buy this over a normal 458, and especially not for how much more it will probably cost.

I predict worse or similar depreciation to the Scud.

Seems like something made by Hamman or Mansory, what a desgrace.

J.Seven

As someone who is not actually a fan of the 458’s looks (I think the front is too Japanese Anime, like all current Ferraris and I hate the three exhaust pipes) I actually think this is an improvement. I like the upsweep at the rear, the exhaust isn’t great but it IS better, the front hood air exit breaks up the comic book face. The little foils on the leading edge of the rear wheels are a little much though. The real thing that makes me laugh is the carbon shift buttons between the seats. That is just stupid.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Enzo II:

"Speciale" out of so many possible names!

Like "Skoda Superb" yes

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Enzo II:

"Speciale" out of so many possible names!

Like "Skoda Superb" yes

Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690709 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409914 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256105 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235347 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65728 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858660 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774865 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM