Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

Ah, shit, I missed all the fireworks in this thread.....

I just realized something, the 991 Turbo/Turbo S or the entire 991 series has grown to be less 'German'. Especially the new GT3. The 911 has grown some emotions, like they had some Italian flare mixed in. I mean, the GT3 has major Italian sound and the new Turbo/Turbo S has mixed in some extra superficial design cues like those Italians loved to do.

Right now on the market, the most 'German' like car is actually the McLaren, clinical approach, surgery precision, clean form follow design with no extra design cues mixed in.

First drive review http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/911/first-drives/porsche-911-turbo-first-drive-review

--

2011 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet PDK Basalt Black/Cocoa

2013 Aston Martin Cygnet 

another one in autoexpress.co.uk, four stars out of five also rather lukewarm.

It seems that these cars fall in two categories, or three.

Power with efficiency and full concentration on competency in real world performance = Porsche Turbo S

Power with a sense of occasion and drama and a sensory overload = 458

Somewhere in between = 12C

Each lucky buyer of any of those chooses with his own priorities, preferences and conceptions or misconceptions. Provided that the buyer is happy, there is no right or wrong, unlike what car magazines try to let us believe in order to fill their pages.

--

"Form follows function"

Whoopsy:

Ah, shit, I missed all the fireworks in this thread.....

My thoughts exactly when i log in and see the mess. 

But hey Suzy and Peter had their first fight on RT, it´s a rite of passage for every new member. Keep it relaxed guys (and girls), differing opinions are what make online forums interesting, but respect is always a must. 

Smiley

The dark cloudes have cleared ;) sun is shining again smiley

EDIT: if there are people that really think it was amusing, you can pm markow and me. We'll each give our bank acount number, so you can make a deposit for the entertaining. Smiley (Sorry... Once a business woman, always a business woman)

Now back to the Turbo and Turbo S please Smiley

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

Did Suzy really drop the f-bomb?  WOW

What is really funny is she did it to stand up for RC (and it worked well).  Either RC IS Suzy (brilliant marketing of the site - look how the thread drew us in) or Suzy is a little fireball? 

Trust me RC can defend himself and this forum is big enough to accept all opinions (N-Rated tires anyone?) so lets please not fight or use foul language.  (I am in agreement with my west coast buddy Nick!!)

cheers Nick!

On topic - I have had my share of loud 911s.   I LOVE the quiet dyson vac sound of my 07 Turbo.  Makes me want to buy a dyson for the house.  The rush of thrust minus the loud noise is priceless.  Smiley  I am able to go twice as fast without attracting any attention from the law or others.

Back on topic I agree that the red seen above is really nice but I´m still hung up on those front foglights, they look so bad. I´m reserving my final thought on this car until I see it in the flesh, but so far I´m very hot and cold with it, some days I love it, some days I don´t. 

SuzyF:

FYI... I'm not planning to buy a Turbo. I, just like Markow, am not a huge fan of the Turbo's looks. That doesn't mean I don't like the car. I'm a Porsche addict. Nevertheless, my horizon goes beyond Porsche and I like some other brands/cars just as much. 

it's the way he gives his opinions. Comments like "have fun with your vacuum cleaner" or "people with real money usually don't buy Porsches" normally don't come from grown-up people. 

I first tried to make my point in a sort of humoristic, sarcastic way, hoping he would have a sense of humor. But when someone gets personal, than he's messing with the wrong person. I'm not allowing anyone to do that and in that case I will give my comments, no matter what you or other people think of it.

I admit that I've gone too far and I apologize to everyone that's insulted by my comments. The only thing I hope is that there will be just normal, mature discussions again on this thread. Positive or negative, as long as it's done in a normal, mature way.

In the end we are all car enthusiasts, no matter what brand we favor...

EDIT: To end this "soap" i'll send markow a pm, to make my apologies and then it's finished for me.

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

An excellent response.kiss Please continue to post on this site. I enjoy reading your posts. 

i' ll charge double, after all i need to maintain the expensive fiat 458 ---))))))

all clear and back to friendly with suzy. 

waiting for Video Review i hate articles ..and i think its coming soon 

The fact that this article compares the driving experience to the F458 actually proves to me that the authors didn't understand the purpose (and customer base) of the 991 Turbo S. The 911 Turbo was always the technical masterpiece which achieved fantastic performance numbers without taking a sweat or making a big fuss out of it, this is a car for a more stealth sports car driving experience, for those who want to shine out of the crowd in a different way. I also explained why the 911 Turbo may appeal to certain customers who could afford a Ferrari but just cannot afford showing off in one. Ferrari is more for show, Porsche is more for driving. I know that many Ferrari owners may not agree with me but the Ferrari owners I met along the past years weren't exactly those who were driving their cars at the limit (they cannot be all that bad of a driver, can they? angry).

In my dream garage, at least one Ferrari would be there too (more likely the F12 than the 458) but in a not so perfect world, where I can only afford ONE car, I chose the 991 Turbo S for a reason.

The only thing the 991 Turbo S actually disappoints a little bit in my opinion is performance above 125 mph (200 kph), at least on paper (still hoping for under 10 seconds from 0-125 mph (200 kph). I expected more from Porsche (and surprisingly, some Porsche guys were surprised I was disappointed), especially looking at the MP4-12C but overall, I think that the 991 Turbo S is the 911 Turbo which was expected from Porsche. I am just worried that with new competitors coming along this year and next year, the 991 Turbo S will fall behind fast. I am also worried that the 20-40 hp power bump with the facelift in three years or so won't be enough either to cope with the competition. 

Why should I lie? I expected 600 hp for the Turbo S and 540 hp for the Turbo. This would have been a healthy power bump which, in conjunction with the new chassis and PTM, would have given the 991 Turbo S a healthy advantage over the competition. It didn't happen, for whatever reason.

As soon as I get my Turbo S, I will post a thorough review. If I don't like something, you will be the first to know.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

In my dream garage, at least one Ferrari would be there too (more likely the F12 than the 458) but in a not so perfect world, where I can only afford ONE car, I chose the 991 Turbo S for a reason.

F12 is an awesome machine, but I don't get along very well with the cocky a**holes at ferrari dealer.

The only thing the 991 Turbo S actually disappoints a little bit in my opinion is performance above 125 mph (200 kph), at least on paper (still hoping for under 10 seconds from 0-125 mph (200 kph). I expected more from Porsche (and surprisingly, some Porsche guys were surprised I was disappointed), especially looking at the MP4-12C but overall, I think that the 991 Turbo S is the 911 Turbo which was expected from Porsche. I am just worried that with new competitors coming along this year and next year, the 991 Turbo S will fall behind fast. I am also worried that the 20-40 hp power bump with the facelift in three years or so won't be enough either to cope with the competition. 

So it took you a while to realise this Smiley we've been pissed regarding the 200 kph+ for sometime, but sir RC liked to pull out his sacred sword and started to prosecute us 1 by 1 Smiley

Let us hope it will hit 300 kph in under 30s and it may get my attention if I let go of another car.

Sold my Cayenne GTS this week and now I have room for one of the following cars

1. Ferrari F12 

2. Lambo Aventador

3. 911 GT3 or Turbo S

#1 and #2 are very tempting, especially now that Lambo has released a software update for a louder exhaust note and whenever you upgrade to aftermarket, it gets a lot louder with 3 inches of flames shooting out of the exhaust tip Smiley

Amaranth Red suits this car

+1Smiley

Anyone who know what's up with those wheels? Why haven't we seen or heard anything about them in the list of options? .. They look quite good, and would look the business in titanium or similar.

porsche-991-turbo-s-c129419082013122141_5.jpg

Looks quite good in black me think kiss

porsche-991-turbo-s-c129419082013122141_2.jpg

RC:

I also explained why the 911 Turbo may appeal to certain customers who could afford a Ferrari but just cannot afford showing off in one. Ferrari is more for show, Porsche is more for driving. I know that many Ferrari owners may not agree with me but the Ferrari owners I met along the past years weren't exactly those who were driving their cars at the limit (they cannot be all that bad of a driver, can they? angry).

The average mileages on these cars only prove the point.

Most 911 turbos get driven a lot,most of them get miles like other normal cars unlike the Ferraris that are driven less then 2k miles a year (on average).

I also dare say,more Porsches see the inside of a track then Ferraris or Lambos,the Italian cars being "for Show only" and their mileages only prove it.

The "dyson" sound of the 911 only makes it more usable and practical,if you only drive a couple k miles a year the loud exhaust of the 458 (and others) does not create the trouble it would if you had to use the car like a Porsche,day in, day out.

The previous arguing which car is better,therefore was misleading.

911 TTS is the "better" car for regular use,regardless of weather and enviroment.

458 or Mp412C are "better" for showing off,30 min blast on Sunday and stopping by at Cars & Coffee events.

Which car someone chooses in the end, has absolutely nothing to do with financial status, contrary to some kid who tried to imply it here. 

Having owned several Ferrari's, I could not disagree more regarding Porsche is a drivers car and Ferrari a show car. I owned a 997.2 TT Cab and though it is a terrific car it did not come close to the excitement of a Ferrari. There is a huge difference in driving pleasure.

It is not a matter of showing off with a Ferrari though it does get attention. The car is a sensual machine which delivers in spades driving pleasure and excitement than any aspirated car can deliver. That is why I opted to buy the GT3. Of all the Porsche models it strikes me as the one which comes closes to providing the fun factor that Ferrari does. Recent car reviews of the GT3 bare this out. They compare the driving experience of the GT3 to a 458. At half the price, it is a terrific deal.

Actually something I never thought of - but Leawood is spot on - having overtaken many cars in the RS on B-roads you can sense their "scare" behind the wheel when you pass them with thunderous rpm's and "what we love from inside/sound" but it has created not seldomly negative reactions. In the GT2 - it's "just" a woshhhhh......

My neighbor has just bought a old 550 (or 575 not sure) but I don't know what he has done to that bloody exhaust - but starting it up and running it idle wakes up the whole neighborhood - it's so embarrassingly loud and he tries to leave always with no rpms as silent as possible but that thing is so ridiculous that I am starting to get pissed off everytime I hear it - so I guess if you own a car that makes "cool noises" - you have to make sure you have a switch to control it !  

Auto Bild drive impression...

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/porsche-911-turbo-fahrbericht-4334726.html

Important qoute from the artice confirmed by my P source:

"Insgesamt sind es aber deutlich mehr: Denn statt zuletzt über 7:40 Minuten soll der neue Turbo die Runde durch die Eifel mit Serienreifen in 7:27 und mit Performance-Pneus sogar in 7:24 Sekunden schaffen."

Officially is new 991 Turbo S faster on the Ring then 991 GT3.

KresoF1:

"Insgesamt sind es aber deutlich mehr: Denn statt zuletzt über 7:40 Minuten soll der neue Turbo die Runde durch die Eifel mit Serienreifen in 7:27 und mit Performance-Pneus sogar in 7:24 Sekunden schaffen."

It appears to me (looking at the configurator) that you cannot order any UHP tires for the 991 turbo Smiley Either UHP tires are an official option or the claimed UHP lap time smells a bit fishy...

Dunlop UHP tires are officially approved for 991 Turbo/Turbo S models.

Forget Porsche configurator. You will be able to get additional set of wheels with Dunlpo UHP tires from your Porsche dealer soon.

Any more details on upcoming options?  I'm holding out for the camera and round tailpipes.  Any others in the works (besides the sport classic rims)?

KresoF1:

Dunlop UHP tires are officially approved for 991 Turbo/Turbo S models.

Forget Porsche configurator. You will be able to get additional set of wheels with Dunlpo UHP tires from your Porsche dealer soon.

If so, would be interesting to know if the UHP dimensions will fit to the street design rims Smiley

3.* secs ? indecision

RC:
    reginos:

The next person who says that Porsche lack sound, must have his ears checked.

The 991 Turbo S sounds really good when you fully accelerate but at lower rev figures (up to 4000 rpm or so), the sound isn't really something to write home about, as I mentioned before. It is actually the same sound you have on the 997 Turbo S...just a little bit louder with a much louder "woosh" sound in the upper rev range. After driving a very loud 991 CS Cab with PSE for two days in the city, I actually have to say that I prefer a less loud exhaust sound for daily driving (I cannot believe I just said that). I don't want people to show me a middle finger or a fist each time I accelerate a little bit stronger.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

+1  

A lady on the street but a freak between the sheets.

I've had a very very loud porsche for years and while I love it when i'm driving in anger, I do prefer a quieter car when I'm toodling along in town.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

KresoF1:

The three seconds difference is interesting. Is it possible that Porsche is trying to provide incentive for people to buy the 991TTS which is substantially price more? I suspect the RS will be priced closer to the TTS and will have similar or slightly better performance numbers.

Its all a marketing game.Smiley

Could be...

BTW, I must admit that even standard CL wheels look good on this Rhodium Silver example.

Both sets of wheels above (on yellow and silver cars) don't suit the Turbo AT ALL.

The first set is something from BMW, the second might look good on the Cup car.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Both sets of wheels above (on yellow and silver cars) don't suit the Turbo AT ALL.

The first set is something from BMW, the second might look good on the Cup car.

...the standrad rims (turbo wheels) are borrowed from Cayenne. Maybe to satisfy the VW kit philosophy ("Baukasten"), since the 991 already needed to coat Panameras interior and key...Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690423 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409712 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255936 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235237 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65641 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858373 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774634 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM