Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

Before comparing the 991 Turbo S to the MP4-12C or any other sports car for that matter, we should wait for the first reviews, incl. the Sport Auto Supertest. Also, in my humble opinion, the 991 Turbo S has more competition inside the Porsche family than outside of it. Speaking of the 991 GT3...which in my opinion is the best all-in-one package. If I would live in a speed limited country with not much rain or harsh winters, I would probably take the 991 GT3 in a heartbeat. The MP4-12C is a competitor, indeed but only for those customers who live in regions where the exotic design of the car doesn't really matter. For Europe for example, I think that the Turbo S is the better choice, especially now during the economic crisis.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

Before comparing the 991 Turbo S to the MP4-12C or any other sports car for that matter, we should wait for the first reviews, incl. the Sport Auto Supertest. Also, in my humble opinion, the 991 Turbo S has more competition inside the Porsche family than outside of it. Speaking of the 991 GT3...which in my opinion is the best all-in-one package. If I would live in a speed limited country with not much rain or harsh winters, I would probably take the 991 GT3 in a heartbeat. The MP4-12C is a competitor, indeed but only for those customers who live in regions where the exotic design of the car doesn't really matter. For Europe for example, I think that the Turbo S is the better choice, especially now during the economic crisis.

sorry i don't get it...MP4-12C versus turbo S in times of economic crisis...do you mean the uglier turbo S attracts less attention and stays under the radar?

peter

Mithras:

Fuchs are producing forged, original style (though in 19'-21') wheels again. 

Fuchs Company are the producer of the current 911turbo rim range, incl. the 20 inch Sport Classic. I have seen the 20" Sport Classic (Fuchs) now in real on a 911-50 anniversary. Nice idea and definitely a choice versus the other 2 option wheels, though they don't come close to the 19" Sport Classic (997 - as on my car) or the 19" real Fuchs. I missing the deep dimension, the rim well.

If you are saying that the 911 Turbo S is ugly, I suggest getting a new ophthalmologist.

The MP4-12C looks more like an exotic car, a car people would associate rather with money than real sports car enthusiasm, especially in Europe where wealthy people have been blamed by the media and politics to be responsible for the crisis. The less "here I am" screaming shape of the 911 Turbo S surely has a huge advantage for many buyers.

Also, like I said before, wait for the first reviews. 

I get it, you got yourself a McLaren for whatever reason but for ME, the MP4-12C just isn't the right car for the various reasons I already elaborated in many posts before.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

^^^ +1

you're spot-on!

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

RC:

If you are saying that the 911 Turbo S is ugly, I suggest getting a new ophthalmologist.

The MP4-12C looks more like an exotic car, a car people would associate rather with money than real sports car enthusiasm, especially in Europe where wealthy people have been blamed by the media and politics to be responsible for the crisis. The less "here I am" screaming shape of the 911 Turbo S surely has a huge advantage for many buyers.

I get it, you got yourself a McLaren for whatever reason but for ME, the MP4-12C just isn't the right car for the various reasons I already elaborated in many posts before.

RC, in a world without the socio-political constraints you so often mention, would you still get the Turbo S or stretch to 12C or to the 458? Forget the (tiny) rear seats and AWD, as you will be driving this car in acceptable weather only.

--

"Form follows function"

In a perfect world , I would be able to afford a car like these, and I would get a 991 TS without a blink of an eye. Why?. Because I'm unashamedly a Porsche guy. I need to have an emotional tie to my purchases. (I know it's not very sensible and cool headed, but then again I'm Portuguesesmiley). The 12C leaves me cold (although I respect the engineering) and Ferrari is the "rival". I respect it (and Porsche could learn a few things about design/ color coding from Ferrari)., but it just isn't for me.

Out of the 911 range the emotional purchase for me must be the GT3, due in part to its connection to GT motorsport (admittedly remote these days).

It would have been perfect to supplement ownership of this car with a Front-Mid engined 2+2 coupe, a 928 spiritual successor.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

hi RC,

i am sure that the 991 turbo will get rave reviews but still....to me it is the low end of porsche 911 design, with the 991 GT3 being the high end. but again, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. 

i did not get an MP4-12C but a ferrari F458, also for design reasons but not only...---))

cheers, peter

From latest issue of Sport Auto...

Hope not a repost - awesome video....150kg of downforce at top speed angel

http://teamspeed.com/forums/991-997-996-turbo/80597-porsche-911-turbo-aerodynamics-explained.html

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

its a repost but i still enjoy watching it over and over 

thanks 

Re-Post and this is actually an officiial Porsche video available on YouTube, so no need to link to a different forum. broken heart

--

question for the pros

i have ordered my TTS .. and the only option im afraid of is the PCCB and thats coming as STD i cant change it 

is it possible to fit the iron rotor if the CC rotor need to be replaced ? front and back ?? 

Thanks in advance 

RC:

i could also add that 'if you find the 991 turbo anything other than dead-drop- ugly you should change your esthetics advisor in a hurry or get a good one (italian preferentially) fast if you don't have one yet ', but i won't, since i am polite. anyway, have fun with the vacuum cleaner at 7K PRM.

peter

markow:
    RC:

i could also add that 'if you find the 991 turbo anything other than dead-drop- ugly you should change your esthetics advisor in a hurry or get a good one (italian preferentially) fast if you don't have one yet ', but i won't, since i am polite. anyway, have fun with the vacuum cleaner at 7K PRM.

peter

Just sayin' .... I'm Italian (half)  and I disagree!! 

991 Turbo may be not the best looking 991, but it is very far from ugly!  It looks less "in your face" than a Ferrari 458 but that's exactly the appeal of the whole brand Porsche IMO. I agree completely with RC on the fact of why buy a 911 instead of a more exotic car in these times.

Ferrari for the show, Porsche for the drive... And don't get me wrong, I love Ferrari and almost all Italian brands. A real petrolhead has once in his/her life owned an Italian car, preferably Alfa Romeo or as an alternative a Ferrari :)

edit: I meant, owned an Italian car for not more than a year per car... Reliabillty is not the strongest point of Italian products ;)

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

hi suzy F,

i am half italian as well and hope not to be too much prejudiced. but the worst car i have ever had in terms of reliability is the 997 C4S. anyway, i got very close to buying the 991 GT3 which i still fancy a lot. this is where porsche shines..maybe as a second car to my F458. anyway, i shall leave this thread now since i find the turbo (S) totally useless. it is a typical second car for cayenne (or future macan) owners.  and i totally dislike SUV's....peter

reginos:

Out of the 911 range the emotional purchase for me must be the GT3, due in part to its connection to GT motorsport (admittedly remote these days).

It would have been perfect to supplement ownership of this car with a Front-Mid engined 2+2 coupe, a 928 spiritual successor.

Dream combo for me currently is 991 GT3 and V12 front-engine Ferrari, namely the F12.  So we have quite similar thinking on this then. Smiley

hmmmmm....yes very close. but i drove the california for 1000km on the weekend and didn't like it. too heavy ...guess the F12 is much better but don't know. but back to 991 turbo: IMHO ugly duckling, certainly super fast cruiser but if you want a cruiser to go fast on the german highway why not buy an audi or mercedes or BMW? they sound the same at 7K RMP and weigh only a bit more offering more cruiser style amenities. peter

Ziggy:

Dream combo for me currently is 991 GT3 and V12 front-engine Ferrari, namely the F12.  So we have quite similar thinking on this then. Smiley

Haha those two are my favourite new cars in production right now followed by the SLS...though i would only consider buying a GT3...i see it as a perfect mix between a 911turbo and a V8 Ferrari(regardless of model generation)-quallity, relability, practcality PLUS some exoticness, looks and a screamng engine AND its almost half price...as i mentioned in another thread no way i'd pay F50(or CGT) money for an F12

Ziggy:
    reginos:

Smiley The Porsche front-mid engined coupe is long overdue, unfortunately.

--

"Form follows function"

It is also worth mentioning that Italians with money actually buy more Porsche than Ferrari and Lamborghini, so I guess... Smiley

Maybe our 458 half-Italian buyer will change his mind the first time a 991 Turbo S will outrun him on the street or track. Unless of course he cares more about gorgeous looks than performance.

--

RC:

It is also worth mentioning that Italians with money actually buy more Porsche than Ferrari and Lamborghini, so I guess... Smiley

Maybe our 458 half-Italian buyer will change his mind the first time a 991 Turbo S will outrun him on the street or track. Unless of course he cares more about gorgeous looks than performance.

people (italian or other) with real money usually don't buy porsches, believe me on that. but that is of no importance to me and i hope neither it is to you. look at it this way, most likely the 2014 nissan GTR will be turbo S - fast, this will certainly bother you much more in your turbo poker than me in my fiat---)))

i am not after the fastest car but the most involving one. and here is my ranking (omitting hypercars): 991 GT3 (based on reviews), F458 italia, MP4-12C. just to add, i do like the boxster S a lot as well. 

certainly the 991 turbo is an engineering masterpiece but i just don't feel it. i have driven the 997 gen 2 turbo S and it left me cold with its dyson-type sound. at that time i bought a C4S which i sort of liked.....after that a BMW M5 which i disliked.

nobody is perfect....

the decision between the f458 italia and the 991 GT3 was very very tight and today i would probably go for the GT3 although i love the 458 (it turns out to be very practical, believe it or not). it is my only car and i shall drive it rain, shine or snow (ground clearance permitting)....until i succumb and a very very practical 991 GT3 (RS?)....---)))

ok, rant over. over to turbo fanboys...---)))

peter

peter

reginos:
    Ziggy:
    reginos:

i am waiting for the porsche mid-rear engined coupe, 960 or so. but it might have been scraped....

peter

So the two billionaires I personally know are not rich, got it. Smiley

Are you actually for real?!

Also...you DO realize this is a 991 Turbo related thread, speaking of fanboys?!

--

ok we get it ,, porsche for the poor 

2 months to go   cant wait

the wait is killing me 

markow:
    reginos:
    Ziggy:
    reginos:

i am waiting for the porsche mid-rear engined coupe, 960 or so. but it might have been scraped....

peter

According to the Auto Zeitung article, the 960 is in the pipeline for 2017 and it will receive the 5 L flat eight turbo of 750-800 PS.

If this project materializes it will be goodbye 12C and arrivederci Italia.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

i do have to agree RC, that you got very often disrespectful in your argumentation. Either you are right, if not you are still right. It is just your sources, other sources are God.. and inexistent.

Rembember your tread in pff.de were you got completly lost in the ceramic brake department.. and you mentioned the bad german boards, and the german behavior. Still i think over there, people are generally much more respectful than your way of argumentation here sometimes.

reginos:
    markow:
    reginos:
    Ziggy:
    reginos:

peter

According to the Auto Zeitung article, the 960 is in the pipeline for 2017 and it will receive the 5 L flat eight turbo of 750-800 PS.

If this project materializes it will be goodbye 12C and arrivederci Italia.

--

"Form follows function"

sounds very good to me if it does not end up 918 expensive.

peter

RC:

reinterpreting gerald seymour:

one man's porsche driver is another man's billionaire---)))

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761691 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434977 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260292 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257390 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80869 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871788 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807136 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM