Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

991 Turbo advice

Sold my year old 991 C2S to a good friend who loved my car, got a good deal and now ready to move up to a new turbo non-s. I used to own a 997 Turbo S cab and I think the new turbo will at least equal it's performance up to 150kmh. The new S version due to import duties will be close to 80K more expensive, so I ruled this one out. 

The car will be for South America, so many of the options are not available yet. In fact one of the most important ones, like TPMS is not available... Smiley . If anyone has a connection to PAG can this be verified??? Country region C35. 

I can't believe that there is no TPMS on a no spare tire car! Or maybe it's standard in the turbo and dealer can't figure it out. They swear this option is not available for Latin America...

Basically the main advice I seek is for the color combo. I know this is a personal choice, but would love to hear from you. My options:

1. Guards red over black/plat grey 2 tone.

2. White over 2 tone espresso cognac.

3. Guards red over 2 tone espresso cognac (this one is calling me but dealer thinks will not look good)

4. Agate grey and 2 tone espresso cognac.

I understand the espresso cognac comes with deviated stitching... Is it true?

I have a 458 Italia red over cuoio, nice combo. Is cognac more towards a darker or orangy brown? Unfortunately google pictures don't do a any justice to what it seems an otherwise fine leather combo. And there are not any leather samples here.

Other mundane options are 18 power seats, burmester, alcantara wheel, tinted glass, glass roof, chrono.

Also, alcantara wheel come in black only is this true?

What do you guys think? Building slot seems like January, but still unconfirmed. 

COCO

--

2011 Ferrari 458 Italia Rosso Mondiale / cuoio
    2011 Turbo S Cabriolet Guards Red/2tone Black Cream SOLD
    2010 BMW activehybrid7 Black/Black (DD)
    2010 Cadillac Escalade hybrid
    2006 Cayman S with goodies (WC) SOLD

Re: 991 Turbo advice

Allow me to offer an opinion on colour.

Red is not Porsche IMO, although your previous Turbo was also red. It's ok for your Ferrari.

Agate is a depressing colour especially for a sports car. It has the same effect on me as a grey, overcast day. 

White is the right colour for the Sunny Isles matched to the interior of your choice.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Red is not Porsche IMO, although your previous Turbo was also red. It's ok for your Ferrari.

Agate is a depressing colour especially for a sports car. It has the same effect on me as a grey, overcast day. 

White is the right colour for the Sunny Isles matched to the interior of your choice.

kisskiss

Cocodrilo:

Sold my year old 991 C2S to a good friend who loved my car, got a good deal and now ready to move up to a new turbo non-s. I used to own a 997 Turbo S cab and I think the new turbo will at least equal it's performance up to 150kmh. The new S version due to import duties will be close to 80K more expensive, so I ruled this one out. 

The car will be for South America, so many of the options are not available yet. In fact one of the most important ones, like TPMS is not available... Smiley . If anyone has a connection to PAG can this be verified??? Country region C35. 

As far as I heard, all 991 Turbo/Turbo S worldwide have TPMS, there is no model without it but this isn't 100% official.

I can't believe that there is no TPMS on a no spare tire car! Or maybe it's standard in the turbo and dealer can't figure it out. They swear this option is not available for Latin America...

Very likely but like I said, no official confirmation for that.

Basically the main advice I seek is for the color combo. I know this is a personal choice, but would love to hear from you. My options:

1. Guards red over black/plat grey 2 tone.

2. White over 2 tone espresso cognac.

In my opinion the best combo for a "warm" region.

3. Guards red over 2 tone espresso cognac (this one is calling me but dealer thinks will not look good)

4. Agate grey and 2 tone espresso cognac.

This is a more stealth color option...if needed.

I understand the espresso cognac comes with deviated stitching... Is it true?

The deviating stitching seems to appear on the darker leather (espresso) parts only.

I have a 458 Italia red over cuoio, nice combo. Is cognac more towards a darker or orangy brown? Unfortunately google pictures don't do a any justice to what it seems an otherwise fine leather combo. And there are not any leather samples here.

I do not remember any orangy brown in cognac.

Other mundane options are 18 power seats, burmester, alcantara wheel, tinted glass, glass roof, chrono.

Seat ventilation?

Also, alcantara wheel come in black only is this true?

Yes. So far...

What do you guys think? Building slot seems like January, but still unconfirmed. 

COCO

Good luck. The 991 Turbo Cab is due around spring 2014...just saying.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Thanks RC for your input. Greatly appreciated. Agreed. Same goes for Reginos and nberry.

Does anyone have the OEM list of the standard features on the 991 turbo? While I do have the complete option list (courtesy of Porsche Finland, goggled), I dont have a list of the standard features.  In fact, today speaking to the dealer, they said the exterior self dimming mirrors are also not available  Smiley

Worries me that now, not only TPMS seems not available, but also the main interior mirror will not self dim, and thats would be sad on a $170K+ car ...

Regardless, I am ordering the turbo, I just hope the tires are not optional either (J/K)

--

Standard options

Engine feature

• Aluminium block and cylinder heads

• Water-cooled

• Four valves per cylinder

• Twin turbochargers with Variable Turbine Geometry (VTG), twin intercoolers

• VarioCam Plus variable valve timing and lift

• Hydraulic valve adjustment

• Integrated dry-sump lubrication

• On-demand electronically controlled oil pump

• Electronic engine management

• Electronic throttle

• Pressure sensor for calculating air mass

• Direct fuel injection (DFI)

• Cylinder-specific knock control

• Two three-way catalytic converters

• Stereo Lambda control circuits

• Static high-voltage distribution with individual ignition coils

• Expansion intake manifold

• On-board diagnostics for monitoring emission control system

• SPORT Button for activating dynamic setups for engine, transmission, chassis and cornering lights

Colours

• Standard solid exterior colours: White, Guards Red, Black, Racing Yellow

• Standard exterior metallic colours: Rhodium Silver, Basalt Black, Agate Grey, Anthracite Brown, Mahogany, Dark Blue,

Amaranth Red, Sapphire Blue

• Standard leather interior colours: Black, Luxor Beige, Platinum Grey, Yachting Blue

Transmission

• 7-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) with dual-mass flywheel

• All-wheel drive with electronically controlled multi-plate clutch and Porsche Traction Management (PTM)

• Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus) including electronically regulated rear differential lock, fully variable with

locking factors from 0 to 100%

• Auto start/stop and coasting

• Stationary management with hold function

Page 1 to vehicle configuration of 16 August 2013

Standard options (continued)

Chassis

• 8.5 J x 20 911 Turbo forged-alloy wheels with 245/35 ZR 20 tyres at front

• 11 J x 20 911 Turbo forged-alloy wheels with 305/30 ZR 20 tyres at rear

• Wheels with two-tone finish (titanium-coloured/polished)

• Wheel centres with monochrome Porsche Crest and anti-theft protection

• Tyre Pressure Monitoring (TPM)

• Tyre sealing compound and electric air compressor

• Rear-axle steering

• Electromechanical power-assisted steering with variable steering ratio

• Porsche Stability Management (PSM) featuring ABS, ASR, ABD and MSR

• McPherson strut suspension with anti-roll bar at front

• Multi-link suspension with anti-roll bar at rear

• Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)

Brakes

• Six-piston aluminium monobloc fixed brake calipers at front and four-piston aluminium monobloc fixed brake calipers at

rear, composite brake chambers in aluminium disc diameter 380 mm front and rear, internally vented and cross-drilled

• Brake calipers with red paint finish

• Pad wear sensors on each brake pad

• Electromechanical parking brake

Body

• 2+2-seater Coupé with wide 911 Turbo body

• Intelligent lightweight construction in aluminium and steel composite

• Luggage compartment lid, front wings, doors, roof, rear lid and selected components of bodyshell in aluminium

• Porsche Active Aerodynamics (PAA) with auto-deploying three-position front spoiler and wing element (positions:

'Basic', 'Speed' and 'Performance')

• Front spoiler lip with embossed 'turbo' logo

• Underbody panelling

• Rear side panels with intercooler air intakes

• Rear apron with intercooler air outlets, integral stainless steel tailpipes and model logo

• Twin dual-tube tailpipes in Turbo design in highly polished chrome-plated stainless steel

• Water-repellent coating on side windows

• Exterior mirrors on door waist rails, aspherical on driver's side

• Preparation for roof transport system

• Metallic paint

Electrical System

• Power windows with one-touch function and door-seal protection

• Windscreen washer system with two wiper speeds, adjustable intermittent wipe and heated windscreen washer jets

• Electrically adjustable and heatable exterior mirrors

• Automatically dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor

Page 2 to vehicle configuration of 16 August 2013

• ParkAssist (rear)

• Heated rear screen

• Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module and universal audio interface

• BOSE® Surround Sound System

• LED reading lights, luggage compartment, orientation, ignition lock and vanity mirror lighting. Also includes footwell,

glove compartment and exit courtesy lighting

• Three 12-volt sockets (front passenger footwell, glove compartment, covered centre console main storage

compartment)

• Key remote for central locking and luggage compartment lid release

Lighting

• Bi-Xenon headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS). Featuring dynamic range adjustment, speedsensitive

headlight range control, dynamic cornering lights and headlight cleaning system

• LED auxiliary light units in the front end including position lights, daytime running lights (911 Turbo), direction indicators

and side turn signals

• LED taillights, including reversing lights, rear driving lights, brake lights, rear fog light, direction indicators, high-level

third brake light and license plate illumination

• Reflector units integrated into rear apron

• Automatic headlight activation including 'Welcome Home' lighting

Instruments

• Integrated cluster of five round instruments

• Instrument cluster with central rev counter and high-resolution 4.6-inch colour display

• Instrument dials in black with chrome-coloured outer rings, rev counter with silver-coloured decorative ring and

illuminated 'turbo' logo

• Analogue displays for engine speed, vehicle speed, oil pressure, oil temperature, coolant temperature and fuel level

• Digital displays for vehicle speed, selected gear, odometer and trip meter

• Multifunction display with boost pressure, current engine power output, drive torque split between front and rear axles

and longitudinal and lateral acceleration (g force)

Safety and security

• Full-size airbags for driver and front passenger

• Porsche Side Impact Protection (POSIP), comprising side impact protection elements in each door, thorax airbag

integrated into the side bolster of each front seat and head airbag for driver and front passenger in each door panel

• Three-point automatic seat belts front and rear with seat-mounted buckles

• Seat-belt pretensioners and force limiters in front

• Mounting points on rear seats for ISOFIX and top tether child seat mounting system

• Engine immobiliser with remote central locking and alarm system with radar-based interior surveillance

Page 3 to vehicle configuration of 16 August 2013

Air conditioning

• Two-zone automatic climate control with separate temperature settings for driver and front passenger, automatic airrecirculation

mode including air quality sensor

• Particle/pollen filter with active carbon filter

• Green-tinted thermally insulated glass

Interior

• Fully electric Sports seats with electric adjustment of all seat functions (14-way) and memory package. Electric

adjustment of backrest, seat height, fore/aft position, squab angle and depth and lumbar support

• Memory function for both exterior mirrors as well as steering wheel and driver's seat positions

• Leather interior

• Integral headrests on front seats

• Split-folding rear seats

• SportDesign steering wheel with gearshift paddles and electric height and fore/aft adjustment

• Steering wheel rim and airbag module with smooth-finish leather in interior colour

• PDK gear selector for control of gearbox functions including an automatic mode and a separate shift gate for manual

gear selection with one-touch function

• Interior parts in Galvano Silver: dashboard trim strip, centre console trim and door panel trim strip

• Rooflining and A-, B- and C-pillars in Alcantara

• Glove compartment (lockable) and storage compartments in doors

• Clothes hooks on seat backrests and B-pillars

• Ascending centre console with switch panels, one uncovered storage compartment and one covered storage

compartment with 12-volt socket

• Two individual cupholders (front passenger side, integral to dashboard trim strip)

• Illuminated vanity mirrors in both sun visors

• 'turbo' logo in door sill guards

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Coco, I always go by the German configurator. 

According to this, both the TPMS and the dimming mirrors in and out and the rain sensor are part of the standard equipment.  So is the rear park assistance. 

-------------------

Oops RC was to quick to post the whole list. Thank you RCSmiley

--

"Form follows function"

Picked guards red w/espresso and cognac interior. Call me crazy, chose red dials too. Will be a very unique turbo, full of adrenaline. The best news is that dealer managed a November production so the car will be here around January, unless some of the exclusive options like the dials and the alcantara wheel gets delayed. 

--

Dealer confirmed that of course both TPMS and self dimming mirrors are standard.. What I expected..Great.

Order placed with the guards red / espresso cognac interior + red dials.. November production. 

Only thing I might change is the exterior color to white, but not so sure. Every other car I see on the street is white!

Now the wait begins. 

RC: Yes, added seat ventilation. Thanks!

--

Great news Cocodrilo!

Take the shot and go for guard reds - "color" looks good. Cant see the black or white cars anymore either!

reginos:

I agree with Reginos.

I would definately go with white/ espresso-cognac interior.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

how about amaranth red?

amaranth is superb!kiss

I heard amaranth is like a "tomato" red and does not match the espresso leather, so I have to see it in person, but in picture looks really nice. I had a Guards red Turbo S before and I like it very much, in fact I miss this car a lot due to its every day practicality and whip. The only thing I didnt like was the exhaust sound and this is when the 458 winked at me.  

Also in my list is rhodium silver, also I have to see that too. But I am afraid the color makes the car too bland. However, my other side says do it and fly stealthy.

What a difficult task... All colors are nice!  Wish the car was transparent, like an squeleton watch and deal with it.Smiley

--

Coming back to my exhaust remark on my previous TTS, let me say this, deep down I would not like the TTS to sound like a 458. In fact, I think the whoosh sound it makes its actually clever, fits the car for an every day use. If the sound can be improved say by 20% that would be nice but not more. And this at the push of a button.

i have to admit that when driving the 458 i keep it civil most of the time because it attracts too much attention. I did however push the TTS many times and enjoyed the thrust in a relatively quiet way.  I guess I miss that (I can't believe I said that)

--

Tomorrow planning on seeing some 991s in white, rhodium and guards red, and will make my final color choice call. My heart says red, but my mind calls for rhodium. Need to see this silver color in the flesh. Wish me luck.

--

2014 991 Turbo (on order, Nov Prod)
    2012 991 C2S w/Fabspeed SOLD
    2011 Turbo S Cab SOLD
    2010 BMW AH7 
    2010 Caddy Escalade
    2006 Cayman S First P car, SOLD

Went to my OPC last week - rhodium silver is a great colour - vast improvement on Platinum silver (clashed with standard wheel colour in my eyes). Looked very good on a Boxster but not sure how that would transpose to 991 TT.

Had rhodium been available when I ordered my 991 I would have probably gone for that - but would have had to colour-code mirrors (not an issue on 991TT I guess)

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

Went to the dealer, and as expected, all 3 colors perform very nicely on a 991. To make matters worse to me, now I added a 4th color, a sapphire blue car, wow, that color is hot kiss

Which makes the decision not based on looks but rather, on pros/cons.

Red: Maybe too Ferrarish, but I like it a lot. Gets my adrenaline pumping. Cons, may grab too much unwanted attention. I think it makes the car rather toyish. Perfect for a Cayman or Boxster, or even a 991 Cab with black roof, but I am not so sure now on a 991TT

White: Looks great in White. Really nice. Yet so boringly common, but it accentuates the lines of the car and the glass sunroof like no other. 

Rhodium: Beautiful silver, but yet another silver. Same emotions as on a white car, and makes the car look bigger too.

Sapphire blue: Quite striking, awake the same emotions as on a red car. While I love blue, but in a car. I have to think about it more and more. Keeps growing on me tho.

Agate: Nice color, deep, almost like meteor grey. Perfect color for a Doctor or lawyer, low profile type of car. Hides the otherwise the nice few black accents of the car. Understated. Elegant.

At this point, I am back to square one, I still have a few days to chose the final color sad

--

2011 Turbo S Cab SOLD
    2010 BMW AH7 
    2010 Caddy Escalade

I feel with you. The color choice is really difficult, especially if you haven't seen the car yet.

When I saw Agate Grey for the first time on a 991 Turbo live, I didn't recognize it (and didn't like it to be honest). I wanted to switch to White but after a while I came to my senses. I need a more stealth color and black just wasn't doing it for me, so Agate was the next choice. If I don't like it, I will use foil to give the car a matte light grey finish, which looks great on a Carrera but not so sure about the Turbo S. I ordered a black/Carrera red bi-color interior as a contrast to the more "boring" exterior, so maybe this will do the trick for me.

Good luck!!!

--

I would go with Guards Red.   The 991 Turbo pictures in Guards Red looks the best. Smiley

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

SoCal Alan:

I would go with Guards Red.   The 991 Turbo pictures in Guards Red looks the best. Smiley

That's what I wanted to hear ! Smiley

Plus red dials !

--

2011 Turbo S Cab SOLD
    2010 BMW AH7 
    2010 Caddy Escalade

No, red dials are way too much...too much show. enlightened Get black leather with red stitching instead and of course red seatbelts. Light interior colors look too elegant for guards red (which is a "sporty" color).

--

Personally, with a Guards Red exterior, I would go Beige interior, especially for hot climates like Fla.  The Red/Beige combo reminds me of my first 911 Turbo I ever drove, and that car still gives me goosebumps.

The two-tone Blk/Beige would be my second choice, followed by just Blk.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

Black interior is nice.... But had already black interior cars. Enuff of those. The espresso cognac is such a rich and new interior, and that's the one I really crave for. Beige is ok, but subtle plus ws glare. Black color came back to my mind again, oh man, this is getting crazy. Red, back or white. One of those will be. I think I am going to toss a coin. Wife and kids don't want me to ask them again which color. I am driving them nuts.

--

2011 Turbo S Cab SOLD
    2010 BMW AH7 
    2010 Caddy Escalade

Go with blue

J.Seven

SoCal Alan:

Personally, with a Guards Red exterior, I would go Beige interior, especially for hot climates like Fla.  The Red/Beige combo reminds me of my first 911 Turbo I ever drove, and that car still gives me goosebumps.

The two-tone Blk/Beige would be my second choice, followed by just Blk.

Looks too elegant...

--

What is your opinion on GT Silver Metallic with Black/Carrera Red Interior?  

Hank:

What is your opinion on GT Silver Metallic with Black/Carrera Red Interior?  

Actually I wanted to get GT silver at some point but my dealer didn't have a single (991 or Boxster) car to look at and I also didn't see one when I had the chance to see the 991 Turbo live. Then, I looked at the color options and realized that GT silver costs almost 3k EUR. So I decided to go with Agate grey (no additonal charge) and save the 3k EUR, just in case I want to cover the car in colored (matte) foil if I cannot live with Agate grey. GT silver wouldn't have been my first choice either, so it wasn't worth the additional three grand. Sealgrey or meteor grey? Yes. Both aren't available though, unless I would go the PTS (paint to sample) path, which would have delayed the delivery of my car by AT LEAST 6 months. No thanks.

I never questioned the black/Carrera red bi-color interior though since I think that this really adds some sort of sportiness to the quite stealthy look of the 991 Turbo S. Some color splash in the interior since I wanted to go with a less attraction attracting exterior.

--

Dreamt last night that PAG would give 991.1TT customers free software upgrade when the facelift comes for an extra cool 40HP.  This will put the normal turbo at 560 and the Turbo S at 600.  Yeah, I know, keep dreaming, but is it possible even at a charge? Why not, if both seem to have pretty much identical engines  ?

--

2011 Turbo S Cab SOLD
    2010 BMW AH7 
    2010 Caddy Escalade

Cocodrilo:

Dreamt last night that PAG would give 991.1TT customers free software upgrade when the facelift comes for an extra cool 40HP.  This will put the normal turbo at 560 and the Turbo S at 600.  Yeah, I know, keep dreaming, but is it possible even at a charge? Why not, if both seem to have pretty much identical engines  ?

Not going to happen. It should be, theoretically, possible that aftermarket tuners offer a "solution" based on the OEM software but since the AWS, PTM/AWD, PASM, PDCC, PDK and so on are all "connected" to the ECU and to the most part run their own software from seperate black boxes, it will be pretty difficult to adapt. Not impossible but difficult and I'm afraid that customers of such a tuner solution may not be able to tell if everything works OK...until something bad happens. Too much electronics and software involved, so there is a huge risk (unlike in the past where hardware was more important...).

The question is? Why would you want that? The performance difference in the 0-160 kph speed range is minimal. Just make sure you order Sport Chrono Plus. If you plan to get the power upgrade from a tuner later on, I'm afraid you have to order ALL Turbo S options (incl. PDCC and LED lights and maybe even PCCB), just to make sure that all black boxes are there with the right software for the tuning software to be able to "communicate". There is no guarantee though.

I wouldn't do it for the "marginal" peformance increase which is probably only really noticeable at speeds over 200 kph.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM