Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

Now I understand what you mean. Didn't we mention before that bucket seats (incl. a heating option) will be available end of this year? Not sure about North America though.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

yes,yes..but is the first time i see pics of a 991TTS with the right(for me) seatsdevil

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo

RC: what`s the source of the pics?

RC:

991 Turbo S in guards red.

b59a730c7a8e63d0.jpeg

07c280449eea972f.jpeg

c656325031960e30.jpeg

d955bab60d29c717.jpeg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I like it in red Smiley

--

997 GT3 3.8

I think it looks stunning.

Will it be available with those wheels? The look good. To my mind at this stage anything looks better than those in the initail released images.

Really really good!!!

That's the color, guards red, for the 991 Turbo S.  Beautiful!

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

BiTurbo:

Artificial juice flavour added to the turbo setup ? heart

Next Turbo generation will end up looking like this broken heart

And in a completely OT comment:

Am I the only one that thinks this looks like fun? Smiley

RC:

What do you want to know? 

Can you talk a bit about the engine sound?

Spoed:

Will it be available with those wheels? The look good. To my mind at this stage anything looks better than those in the initail released images.

Those look to be the Turbo S center lock wheels that are available.

No I was actually referring the active aerodynamics post - not those on the red one.

RC:

Wondering if there is a smaller gap in driving feel compared to the 996 and 997 variants of the cars. Granted awd turbo engine will feel different from rwd hi-rev n/a but given the very close track times, I'm wondering if the dynamics have changed significantly? I don't think that the new PDK, RWS and electronic steering would change the comparison. I realize that the TT/S on similar tires as the GT3 would likely be faster around the ring- or was this the same in the previous versions? It appears the TT/S is more track capable than with the previous versions.

Just stumbled upon this--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdgL3B6KiLY

Hope it's not a repost.

It may seem like a minor change to many, but I'm really happy about the increased ground clearance. My old 997 Turbo was a great car but it scraped its nose all the time...

TomSilver:
    RC:

Can you talk a bit about the engine sound?

The engine sound is a little bit disappointing if you compare it to the 991 Carrera S Porsche Sport Exhaust or any other sports car for that matter. However, there is a big improvement vs. the 997 Turbo S sound and it is quite noticeable. The hiss people know too well from the 997 Turbo S is much louder from the outside (actually pretty loud) and from the interior, you get some sort of a deep whining sound which doesn't exist on the 997 Turbo S and yes, it kind of makes the 991 Turbo S more fun to drive.

Gradual sound description: Standstill...practically nothing. When you accelerate a little bit, there is a metallic sound from the exhaust which changes at 2500 rpm or so to the typical Carrera sound but after passing 4000 rpm or so, you actually hear only the very loud hissing sound. It is quite an interesting sound because it is really loud but on the other hand, not as "annoying" (to the outside world) as the typical sports car sound. This is what happens from the outside. From the inside, the sound is "better", you have the actual feeling sitting in a sports car (997 Turbo S was a bit different) and like I said, at higher rpm, the deep whining (or should I call it hauling) sound adds to the music, which makes it really enjoyable. On the regular Turbo, this whining/hauling sound is less loud because Porsche wanted to create a differentiation between the Turbo and Turbo S.

A Ferrari driver won't enjoy this sound, this is pretty sure but someone coming from the 997 Turbo S will surely appreciate the sound improvement, especially from the interior. Oh, when you do not switch to Sport or Sport Plus mode, the sound symposer is closed and at speeds over 240 kph, you only hear the wind, the car can be comfortable too.

Oh, do not expect a sport exhaust at some point, this won't happen. However, I got the feeling that a good(!!!) aftermarket exhaust wouldn't create any serious issues with performance.

--

Spoed:

These are the Turbo wheels. The Turbo S comes with the Turbo S wheels and CL.

Trust me, in reality, the Turbo S wheels look pretty sweet, especially with the PCCB calipers behind them.

Photos don't do them justice (I'm afraid).

--

NelsonF:

Wondering if there is a smaller gap in driving feel compared to the 996 and 997 variants of the cars. Granted awd turbo engine will feel different from rwd hi-rev n/a but given the very close track times, I'm wondering if the dynamics have changed significantly? I don't think that the new PDK, RWS and electronic steering would change the comparison. I realize that the TT/S on similar tires as the GT3 would likely be faster around the ring- or was this the same in the previous versions? It appears the TT/S is more track capable than with the previous versions.

I can only tell you about the difference between a 997 Turbo S and a 991 Turbo S: Wow, you cannot even compare these cars, the driving feel is completely different.

Where do I start?

1. The 997 Turbo S felt heavier (which is quite surprising, considering that it is actually lighter)

2. The 997 Turbo S steering felt less direct (less "connected", which is probably due to the AWD...Porsche adapted the steering feel on all 991 to be the same, 2WD or AWD).

3. The 997 Turbo S shows heavy understeer at the limit and you have to force the car into tight turns, the 991 Turbo S doesn't show a bit of understeer, the rear comes a little bit and this actually helps the car to turn in and achieve amazing curve speeds which were impossible with the 997 Turbo S (the rear axle steering makes a HUGE difference).

4. The 997 Turbo S is pretty tricky to drive with PSM turned off, the 991 Turbo S just keeps going, the rear "comes" easily (no surprises here) and the steering is extremely precise, the 991 Turbo S actually goes exactly where you want it to go, which was quite tricky with the 997 Turbo S at the limit.

5. The 997 Turbo S feels less comfortable (OK, this is something you don't want to hear but wait, there is more...), it actually shakes up and down in Sport Plus mode (sportiest PASM setting). The 991 Turbo S is different: You have the feeling of a very stiff setup, the steering is precise and very direct  but the car doesn't actually move much up and down, the comfort, even in the stiffest PASM setting, is quite impressive. Don't get me wrong: The chassis feel is stiff, not soft at all but the car just doesn't move much up and down, it is difficult to explain but it really makes you faster because the "shaking" in the 997 Turbo S actually makes you slower because you have a more safe drive feel when driving in the 991 Turbo S.

According to "somebody" I talked, the new chassis/PDCC/PTM/rear axle steering setup is actually a "next generation setup", everything has been newly developed, this is not just an improvement. Everything is new and it feels that way, pretty impressive.

6. The new PCCB brake is also unbelievable, the setup is so good (larger discs, cooling improvements, etc.), if you think the 997 Turbo S PCCB brake was good, the 991 Turbo S PCCB is out of this world. The breaking power is just breathtaking, literally. Smiley

--

FlatSix911:

Just stumbled upon this--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdgL3B6KiLY

Hope it's not a repost.

It may seem like a minor change to many, but I'm really happy about the increased ground clearance. My old 997 Turbo was a great car but it scraped its nose all the time...

Since I saw both, the 997 Turbo S and the 991 Turbo S back to back, ground clearance hasn't really improved much (997 Turbo S standard setup, 991 Turbo S with active aerodynamics in "Start" position (pneumatic front spoiler lip completely up), the car has the same ground clearance as the old 997 Turbo S but in the front, there is aprox. 10° more angle left on the 991 Turbo S due to the retrieved front spoiler. Even with the pneumatic front spoiler lip in "Performance" mode, there is nothing to worry. The pneumatic front spoiler lip is made of the same material as tires, this is flexible rubber and you cannot really damage it. A guy hit the pneumatic front spoiler lip (fully pumped up) with his foot a couple of times quite strongly and it still looked the same. Very impressive technology and you really have to see it with your own eyes how it inflated and deflates, I could watch it all day long, this is so innovative.

--

there is aprox. 10° more angle left on the 991 Turbo S due to the retrieved front spoiler. Even with the pneumatic front spoiler lip in "Performance" mode, there is nothing to worry. The pneumatic front spoiler lip is made of the same material as tires, this is flexible rubber and you cannot really damage it. A guy hit the pneumatic front spoiler lip (fully pumped up) with his foot a couple of times quite strongly and it still looked the same. Very impressive technology and you really have to see it with your own eyes how it inflated and deflates, I could watch it all day long, this is so innovative.

--

That's what I was referring to. Perhaps ground clearance wasn't the right term. What I meant was that the improved "attack angle" will make the car more liveable day to day for me when entering underground car parks.

FlatSix911:

That's what I was referring to. Perhaps ground clearance wasn't the right term. What I meant was that the improved "attack angle" will make the car more liveable day to day for me when entering underground car parks.

Definetely yes. Even with that pneumatic front lip in "Performance" mode, you won't do much damage.

Funny side story: When sitting in the car, I asked what the push button is for (the one which activates the active aerodynamics at lower speeds). The guy who explained everything to me told me, that this is the "ice cream parlor/strolling" button. I didn't get it at first but then... Smiley Now I know what this "driving mode" is officially called when I always watch these 911/Panamera drivers in the US driving around at lower speeds with their wings up. Smiley

Interesting fact regarding the active aerodynamics: If the pneumatic front spoiler lip "collapses" (damage for example, whatever, not very likely though), the rear wing goes down completely too to create an aerodynamical balance.

--

So, RC, are you happy with your order now that you have tried the car ? According to your comments, it seems you are 100% sold on the 991 TTS .    About the Ring time ' rumour' ... is it really going to be better lap time then the GT3 ? 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

The news about the significantly reduced undrsteer at the limit is very good. It is one of the reasons that had not considered
    Turbo/S for a few years as it was very evident in my 996 and also in the 997's that I've driven. It also sounds like the RWS and new suspension platform are making a big difference. This car will now be a serious consideration in the future. Thanks for the info.

RC:

A Ferrari driver won't enjoy this sound, this is pretty sure but someone coming from the 997 Turbo S will surely appreciate the sound improvement, especially from the interior. Oh, when you do not switch to Sport or Sport Plus mode, the sound symposer is closed and at speeds over 240 kph, you only hear the wind, the car can be comfortable too.

RC, is this "sound symposer" only supposed to be heard inside the vehicle?  Or is it a mechanical device, kind of like the PSE in the 997 (ie., baffles), which would allow the sound to be heard both inside and outside of the vehicle.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

RC: The engine sound is a little bit disappointing if you compare it to the 991 Carrera S Porsche Sport Exhaust or any other sports car for that matter. 

I do not understand why Porsche does not want the Turbo to have a more emotional sound. I have a 991S and I like the sound, but it is nothing compared to a Ferrari. My daily driver  is a Panamera GTS  and I am enjoying every mile with it. I would die for a 911 with that kind of sound quality. 

Sound is for me a major part of the driving experience. Will I pay 200k for a 911 with the typical muted Turbo sound? No. It can be faster than light, I would not buy it. 

Are you sure that there is no sport exhaust option?

Aren't "Turbo" models generally geared towards luxury in the Porsche lineup anyway?  If so, I think it makes sense that the sound is a bit quieter.  An option of a Sport Exhaust is always nice, though.

Enjoy (keep in mind that this is in South Africa, very hot, mule testing...just enjoy the video).

http://brightcove04.brightcove.com/21/67005934001/201307/318/67005934001_2538610558001_PorscheTurbo-spa.mp4

--

Gnil:

So, RC, are you happy with your order now that you have tried the car ? According to your comments, it seems you are 100% sold on the 991 TTS .    About the Ring time ' rumour' ... is it really going to be better lap time then the GT3 ? 

I am 100% sold on the Turbo S, I do not regret not getting a GT3 anymore. Smiley

--

NelsonF:
    The news about the significantly reduced undrsteer at the limit is very good. It is one of the reasons that had not considered
    Turbo/S for a few years as it was very evident in my 996 and also in the 997's that I've driven. It also sounds like the RWS and new suspension platform are making a big difference. This car will now be a serious consideration in the future. Thanks for the info.

No, you don't understand. Understeer hasn't been reduced, there is none. Smiley

--

TomSilver:
    RC: The engine sound is a little bit disappointing if you compare it to the 991 Carrera S Porsche Sport Exhaust or any other sports car for that matter. 

I do not understand why Porsche does not want the Turbo to have a more emotional sound. I have a 991S and I like the sound, but it is nothing compared to a Ferrari. My daily driver  is a Panamera GTS  and I am enjoying every mile with it. I would die for a 911 with that kind of sound quality. 

Sound is for me a major part of the driving experience. Will I pay 200k for a 911 with the typical muted Turbo sound? No. It can be faster than light, I would not buy it. 

Are you sure that there is no sport exhaust option?

It is not possible because of the VTG chargers, not that they don't want it. They seem to have issues getting it certified and if you wonder why tuners can, the answer is simple: They do not have the same legal requirements like car manufacturers. Why didn't Porsche forget about the VTG chargers then? Well...they have huge advantages and Porsche really has now a lot of experience with them, the turbo lag is practically non-existent and it would be a pity to throw this all away.

Yes, aftermarket exhausts will still sound OK and no, Porsche will not offer a sport exhaust option. Sorry.

Also, it is my understanding that most Turbo customers (not me for sure) seem to prefer a more decent sound.

However, the sound of the new 991 Turbo S has been greatly improved vs. the 997 Turbo S sound and while it may not sound like the typical sport exhaust sound of the 991 Carrera and/or competition, it is a very loud and special sound. Also, in the upper rev range, the whining/hauling sound is quite nice and loud, everything more would be quite uncomfortable (not that I wouldn't like it).

--

SoCal Alan:
    RC:

RC, is this "sound symposer" only supposed to be heard inside the vehicle?  Or is it a mechanical device, kind of like the PSE in the 997 (ie., baffles), which would allow the sound to be heard both inside and outside of the vehicle.

The sound symposer kind of "opens" a "duct" from the engine bay to the interior. The whining/hauling sound at higher rpm, which is actually pretty cool, cannot be heard outside the car but the hissing outside the car when fully accelerating is really loud, very loud and quite noticeable. Also the Turbo (non S) has a less loud whining/hauling sound in the upper rev range, another argument for the Turbo S.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691168 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410239 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256270 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235434 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65759 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858879 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775191 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM