Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

Not much new is right. Its summer. Porsche hasn't released any real technical data on the Turbo's so there is not much new to talk about.  The media licks boots over the GT3 and doesn't even mention that the car, outside of the bubble world of  Porsche club track days, has no hope to beat a new Corvette or McLaren at a multi marque track day, and even much less chance of beating a 997 Turbo on a track. More money, but no progress in cross brand competitive ability.

This board is truly international and its mostly in English, which is no easy trick for many participants to carry off,even Americans and Brits can get wrapped around the axle with each other from misunderstood nuance, context and unintended but perceived innuendos. Somethings just don't translate well in the give and take environment of a multi national forum, so you have to have a thick skin and not take it to heart.

Overall its pretty enjoyable. kiss

Spoed:

Heads-up. Occasionally one needs to look around to see if you're still choppnig trees in the right forest.

Whilst certain snr members have been so engrossed in their own arguments, focussing only on what they deem to be important/interesting at the moment (is a turbo actually the same thing as a GT3? or why anyone considering a Boxster, Cayman, 993 or older Turbo should be scoffed at, albeit subtly with no respect for their taste), others may have noticed a dying forum. The guy that posts for the first time in 9 years get's a welcome along the lines of " (Unless of course you want to hear how bad the new Turbo is and how good older cars are (which you, as a 997 Turbo owner, could actually enjoy Smiley)" ?! ........ and no RC... you're not being quoted out of context and whilst, as you say, this board tolerates different opinions and "higher" debate I think you were out of line. Do you really think he enjoyed that remark? Healthy debate does not equate belittling or having the absolute last word of self justification on every topic.

Look at the rest of the boards - notice something? Look at the number of posts. When was the last time you saw any of the greats post an intereseting thread on this board? I do notice and follow some of them now on other boards.

Flame me as much as you like but I mean this as positive critisism. THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK ON YOU. Occasioally one has to sit back for a moment and ponder what has changed or what should change to reinvigorate an enterprise. In the past I visited this board on a daily basis as I found it a good source of reliable information and genuinely enjoyed the comments, debates and views of a wide spread of posters on a wide range of topics. I sincerely hope I'm not watching a white dwarf.

I was actually prepared to give you the "big speech" here but then I said to myself: What for? This won't change a thing.

So here is the short (not really) version of the big speech: We are a privately run forum, paid and maintained by people who have a real life job to be able to feed their families and to be able to own the cars we love so much. We are never going to be able to "compete" with commercially run forums, which sometimes are even owned by media companies, forums run for one purpose only: To make money and to sell advertisement. Rennteam.com is privately financed, we do not make a dime out of it, on the contrary. This is a forum run by car enthusiasts and made for car enthusiasts. That said, I think that the information gathered here is pretty unique and valuable and while it may not be always accurate, especially when a new car comes out or is supposed to come out, people learn a lot from that information. I also noticed that many rumors and information bits available on this forum are very often found later on, check the dates, on other car forums, sometimes wrapped/covered in a different context or bit of information to hide the source.

While I appreciate your blunt words, I think they are a little bit unfair since you are comparing commercially run forums with a private forum like ours. Yes, Nick is right, our forum software is not a highlight but we are happy we have a FREE place where we can share our information and make friends. If this isn't enough for you, I understand but there is nothing we can do about. It is kind of a "take it or leave it" thing.

Would I want Rennteam to be different? Hell, yes. I would love to have a fancy software with the fastest server out there and I would love to have an official press status, so we get officially test cars and a direct communication to Porsche and other car companies but this is how it works right now and I cannot do anything about it. We are way too small to compete with others and we just don't have the financial resources to make something different out of Rennteam. I think we explained that many many times before but apparently it always gets back to hunt us. 

Last but not least, I would like to explain to you why I am sometimes a little bit harsh in the usage of my words. Imagine this: You sit on tons of information, accurate information, information received from people directly involved with a certain product. Now you know you cannot post this information because it would hurt these people and/or it would be a direct violation of a NDA. How do you make people understand that they are wrong with certain assumptions or claims without giving an explanation? Maybe now you understand. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Firstly: Thank you for sparing me the big speech as I had no intention of wasting my time on something like that. Your non - combative reply and the fact that you seem to take my views as intended in a positve way and not as negative critisim or as a personal attack, as I stated in my post, is refreshing and appreciated.

Secondlly: Make no mistake, I and many others on this board, have always understood the relationship you have with certain employees of certain companies and that the relationship based on trust, cannot be abused. The info that you did manage to pass through has always been appreciated. Also, you are mistaken if you think this is the only board with some inside connections. Fact is, we appreciate your feedback as and when you can give it.

Thirdly: Your are slightly missing the point - probably due to me not being very clear. I have much less of an issue with the software than the lack of  diversity of topics lately. So why is there a lack of diversity these days?  Here's my take: Porsche produces more than one model. The Porsche community consists of more than just owners of lastest top of the range 911 or Panamera. These owners are just as enthusiastic about the brand and their cars. Look at 911ster for example. I like his posts, like his car and his enthusiasm. Same goes for M4EVER. Knocking them, 981 or Panamera diesel owners for driving old technology or lower in the food chain models is not conducive to building the Rennteam community. Yes they may not be as safe, fast or as clever as a new GT3 or Turbo S but I bet you their owners are having a lot of fun and do not have to be constantly reminded they're driving a piece of .... that is plotting to kill them around the next corner. Let them have their place in the sun. In the past it was always enjoyable comming here so let's not take a "take it or leave attitude".  A board is kept alive by its posters, in other words people. I'm all for being opiniated and vigerous debate but not to the point of insulting somebody because he's not driving the latest model. Why do you think the Boxster, Cayman and the rest of the boards are dead? It is safe to assume there are more than one 964 and 993 owner out there. Hell, at some stage we were even able of poking light hearted fun at one another. Let's spread the topics again, be tolerant of other models and smile at the ignorance of my 912 is better than your Turbo S. Ignore the ignorant.

Long live RennteamSmiley

Calm down, people.

Regards to RC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQS-NKsNHCg

smith68:

Calm down, people.

Regards to RC.

Very nice!!!! Love the wheels!!! kiss

smith68:

Calm down, people.

Regards to RC.

Thanks for posting - should be at the Leipzig Factory...

I don´t like the rear clear lights. Smiley

Blueflame Smiley

Good looking 911(still prefer GT3 aerokit), but those clear tail lights are just ugly enlightened

--

Hey folks  - just my two cents - It is all about attitude.  I love my old porsches and am happy as can be owing them.  It does not bother me a bit that RC thinks they are old or that Porsche must do all repairs or that N rated tires are a must for a 911.  That is his opinion - most know I am able to speak up just fine for myself and that I am also a true enthusiast without spending too much other than time and a little more effort.  I doubt RC minds my input and the balance I provide (spending wise).

It amuses me that Nick does not understand me better.  I would never see that as a goal of mine.  His prejudice of people from Kansas is funny since I am an Austrian with a formal education and life experiances which most likely dwarf his.  I wish nick only the best though I wish he would visit the real world sometime.  You know the one - where people are self-reliant, responsible and kind to others - where people debate with substance not insults.  Enough said.

Lastly - I enjoy news about the new products and do not take joy from news about the short coming of new models.  At some point I will own the new models so I like to be able to judge what to get and what to avoid.  Given my 30+ years of 911 ownership I am very happy with my mezger Manual Turbo so far and have not seen a good reason to move away from it.  Stay tuned for more driving enjoyment reports, trip summaries and little repair hints to save money.

Cheers RC and all EVEN Nick for making this an enteraining forum!  (Do hope RC gives us lesser model owners some more credit - they are like children and you don't call someone's child ugly)

Leawood, meant no insult. Just from my perspective, fact. FWIW, you should view it a compliment that I do take the time to read your posts.

Love ya Nick - seriously.  I do not insult that easily and if you knew more of my private background you would be surprised.  I do wish this forum to succeed.  I think some of the constructive input we have read in the last few post was very well put and justified.  I care less about the site and its little bugs (funny since I develop software and could fix it simply) and more about having a fun platform where we can be excited about our cars and not feel like 2nd class for not having the newest models.  Porsche is a great car and like fine wine there are good and bad years but no bad owners.

werner:

Firstly: Thank you for sparing me the big speech as I had no intention of wasting my time on something like that. Your non - combative reply and the fact that you seem to take my views as intended in a positve way and not as negative critisim or as a personal attack, as I stated in my post, is refreshing and appreciated.

Secondlly: Make no mistake, I and many others on this board, have always understood the relationship you have with certain employees of certain companies and that the relationship based on trust, cannot be abused. The info that you did manage to pass through has always been appreciated. Also, you are mistaken if you think this is the only board with some inside connections. Fact is, we appreciate your feedback as and when you can give it.

Thirdly: Your are slightly missing the point - probably due to me not being very clear. I have much less of an issue with the software than the lack of  diversity of topics lately. So why is there a lack of diversity these days?  Here's my take: Porsche produces more than one model. The Porsche community consists of more than just owners of lastest top of the range 911 or Panamera. These owners are just as enthusiastic about the brand and their cars. Look at 911ster for example. I like his posts, like his car and his enthusiasm. Same goes for M4EVER. Knocking them, 981 or Panamera diesel owners for driving old technology or lower in the food chain models is not conducive to building the Rennteam community. Yes they may not be as safe, fast or as clever as a new GT3 or Turbo S but I bet you their owners are having a lot of fun and do not have to be constantly reminded they're driving a piece of .... that is plotting to kill them around the next corner. Let them have their place in the sun. In the past it was always enjoyable comming here so let's not take a "take it or leave attitude".  A board is kept alive by its posters, in other words people. I'm all for being opiniated and vigerous debate but not to the point of insulting somebody because he's not driving the latest model. Why do you think the Boxster, Cayman and the rest of the boards are dead? It is safe to assume there are more than one 964 and 993 owner out there. Hell, at some stage we were even able of poking light hearted fun at one another. Let's spread the topics again, be tolerant of other models and smile at the ignorance of my 912 is better than your Turbo S. Ignore the ignorant.

Long live RennteamSmiley

I understand now but I think this happens because I put my heart and soul into threads and models I own or which I am going to own, so it is clear that you are going to read more about the cars I own or will own rather than other models. I wish we had some users who would actually do the same I do when I report about my current or future cars but maybe due to the lack of information regarding these particular models, owners tend to refrain from posting, which is sad. I do not have the time (anymore) to take a Cayman or a Boxster or other cars for a longer testdrive and post photos and other stuff. This is something OWNERS should do, to help out the community.

I feel really sorry that I put my emphasis on the 991 Turbo/Turbo S but this is the car I am most interested right now and this is why I try to gather as much information about it as possible. I get it, I should try to do the same with other models but this is what YOU guys are here for, to complement the content and to add something to the forums. We cannot do it alone and I cannot own each and every Porsche model (not that I wouldn't like it).

Back to topic (991 Turbo/Turbo S).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

A fun fact for you guys: Did you know that the 991 Turbo S has a more direct steering setup than the new 991 GT3? 

Also, the Dunlop SportMaxx Race used on the GT3 is now certified for the 991 Turbo S too.

--

RC:

A fun fact for you guys: Did you know that the 991 Turbo S has a more direct steering setup than the new 991 GT3? 

Also, the Dunlop SportMaxx Race used on the GT3 is now certified for the 991 Turbo S too.

I wonder how that is going to translate into steering feel compared to GT3 as well??

Let me put it this way: You won't "feel" the AWD on the Turbo (like on the 997 Turbo S) and the car certainly doesn't feel heavier than the GT3. 

--

Artificial juice flavour added to the turbo setup ? heart

Next Turbo generation will end up looking like this broken heart

BiTurbo:

Not sure what you mean? Smiley

--

Cool. When I find time I'll start by posting some  photos of a quick break last week in the bush. Saw some creatures you guys in Europe may not be quite so used to. Smiley

RC:
    BiTurbo:

Not sure what you mean? Smiley

911 is getting too soft and soon enough customers will ask for extra led screen to watch movies and a tray to have their meal Smiley

Stupid question: Does a stiff chassis setup make the 991 faster? 

Case closed. wink

Wait until you read about the first track times and of course the first reviews. You'll be very impressed. Dammit...I wish I could say more. Smiley

--

RC, have you had a chance to drive a 991 with Power Steering Plus?  I know your Panamera had it.  I am asking because I'm wondering if you have a direct comparison of 991 with and without PSP?  It's the one option I keep going over back and in forth in my head over whether I want it or not.  And then there's color choices too, lol...

I'm going to try and drive two 991s (one with, one without) but until I have that chance I'd love to hear from RC or anyone who can chime in on Power Steering Plus.  Thanks!

keithos27:

RC, have you had a chance to drive a 991 with Power Steering Plus?  I know your Panamera had it.  I am asking because I'm wondering if you have a direct comparison of 991 with and without PSP?  It's the one option I keep going over back and in forth in my head over whether I want it or not.  And then there's color choices too, lol...

I'm going to try and drive two 991s (one with, one without) but until I have that chance I'd love to hear from RC or anyone who can chime in on Power Steering Plus.  Thanks!

I have driven the PSP on the 991 Carrera and I still don't like it, it makes the steering "lighter" at lower speeds but it is better than on my Panamera for example, the feel is more direct. Careful: The 991 Turbo has a different steering setup than the 991 Carrera. It may feel the same (keep in mind that the 991 Turbo has AWD) but I do not know how the PSP steering feels, I guess the same as on the Carrera. The PSP is great for women who want to have a lighter steering wheel operation in city traffic but I'm not a fan.

--

Another fun fact: Did you know that there is a technical reason for making the 991 Turbo/Turbo S wider? There wasn't enough room for the rear axle steering left. This also causes a slight "hump" on the 991 Turbo/Turbo S cabriolet. So the wider rear has technical reasons, no visual reason. There isn't much room left in the engine bay.

--

RC:

Let me put it this way: You won't "feel" the AWD on the Turbo (like on the 997 Turbo S) and the car certainly doesn't feel heavier than the GT3. 

Have you driven the new Turbo/S or GT3? Please tell us more...

What do you want to know? 

--

Active aerodynamics... (three positions)

afa68455f142cb49.jpeg

--

991 Turbo S in guards red.

b59a730c7a8e63d0.jpeg

07c280449eea972f.jpeg

c656325031960e30.jpeg

d955bab60d29c717.jpeg

--

the seats...the seats...

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo

Super Darius:

the seats...the seats...

??? Smiley

--

They look like bucket seats

yesssss,i like them!!broken heart

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754972 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431461 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258850 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255841 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79842 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868857 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802813 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM