Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren P1 - Official

bhnyc:

I think the side profile of this car looks really good and you can see great elements of the F1.  However, from the front, it still looks cartoonish (maybe this wont be so in person). 

When I look at the front of this car, I see elements of a Lotus Elise - which is NOT what I think one would want to see of think of when spending $1MM on a hypercar.

But this is just me, others may see something different. That said there is nothing that had made me warm up to the front of this car yet.

Here is a sick configuration sent to me by McLaren

McLaren_P1_Carbon_Fibre.pdf

And this is a outrageous McLaren Orange one

McLaren_P1_Library_McLaren_Orange_V2.pdf

They sent me a total of 11 pdf showing different colour combinations

Here are the rest

McLaren_P1_Library_Supernova_Silver_V2.pdf

McLaren_P1_Library_Mercury_Red_V2.pdf

McLaren_P1_Library_Graphite_Grey.pdf

McLaren_P1_MSO Violet.pdf

Thanks for sharing.

There are some outrageous colors !! But actually the lighter colors suit the car better then the dark ones. I thaught it would be the opposite.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I'll have mine in Supernova Silver, please indecision

--

"Form follows function"

I'm with reginos on that one, Supernova Silver all the way. kiss

And maybe Violet for the brave. smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Carbon Fibre for me please...if money doesn't really matter and you give a sh.t about the neighbors. Carbon Fibre all the way...it sends a message. indecision

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Thank you for sharing Whoopsy, Carbon fibre option for me please :D

If I were to get one I would get the carbon fibre one too. It just looked unreal.

When I first opened the attachment, and saw the carbon fibre one, I 'almost' put in an order for one. It was that attractive.

Whoopsy:

When I first opened the attachment, and saw the carbon fibre one, I 'almost' put in an order for one. It was that attractive.

Now that would make the wife really mad Smiley

The Carbon Fiber and the Silver Supernova are gorgeous.  Would that Silver be the same color as the F1 car?  I like the presentation for the Carbon Fiber - every part says carbon fiber X, carbon fiber Y.  It become redundant.  Yes, the whole car, in carbon fiber finish

And the craziest thing is, I still can. I haven't cancel my hold, McLaren hasn't formally ask me for deposit and they still haven't find a replacement buyer for my spot. 

Whoopsy - that would be a pretty sick garage.  Do you know how many Mclaren has sold at this point.  

A carbon fiber  finish with a racing stripe going down the center of it to the tail would be nice.

Not sure about the total, but for Canada there are 10 allocations, 6 sold in Toronto, 1 locally here in Vancouver, I hold the option on the 2nd car here and 2 more allocations unsold still.  Best guess, I think McLaren sold about 260 cars tops.

You don't have a second million to spend?Smiley

Had to keep it in reserve to prepare for what the wife wants when she finds out about the new car. smiley

bhnyc:

The Carbon Fiber and the Silver Supernova are gorgeous.  Would that Silver be the same color as the F1 car?  I like the presentation for the Carbon Fiber - every part says carbon fiber X, carbon fiber Y.  It become redundant.  Yes, the whole car, in carbon fiber finish

That's Supernova Silver which is already offered for the 12C. The chrome paint has to be ordered through MSO and it is "very, very expensive".

Here are the two colors for a comparison:

Supernova Silver:

Chrome:

Here is the options list for the P1

McLaren P1 Specification Form.pdf

A very reasonable option list for a $1.15 million car.  Whoopsy, are you still tempted?

Was, not anymore. Especially after watching a couple new on road video of the P1 on Youtube. 

McLaren is quite desperate to sell out the remaining P1 though, more so than Porsche on the 918, think a discount might be coming. 

Seems like I am not the only potential owner who complaints the car is not bespoke enough for the price tag, a lot of us are seeing right through the car and see a souped up 12C.

Tough days for the supercar buyers:

the P1 is not bespoke enough

the 918 is too slow (heavy) for the price

the LaFerrari is sold out

laugh

That's cool, we just "saved" $1mio...

BUT, from the grapevine, if one really want a LaFerrari, it is still available, heard about a couple of the initial deposit payers can't afford the car anymore and backed out, something about the financial crisis and their optimism about their wealth.

I have no basis for saying this, but I think the P1 is going to be a special driving car.  I was not a 12C fan at all until I drove it and I realized that McLaren had achieved some special results.  If the P1 can have 12C road performance but GT3 class track performance, than that is a special achievement.  Time will tell, if it is that special of a driving car than the rest of the cars will sell out.  if it is not it will be a real embarrassment for Mclaren getting the program wrong

I heard the same thing.  Unofficially, LaFerrari still available if you really want it.

bhnyc:

I have no basis for saying this, but I think the P1 is going to be a special driving car.  I was not a 12C fan at all until I drove it and I realized that McLaren had achieved some special results.  If the P1 can have 12C road performance but GT3 class track performance, than that is a special achievement.  Time will tell, if it is that special of a driving car than the rest of the cars will sell out.  if it is not it will be a real embarrassment for Mclaren getting the program wrong

There is no doubt the P1 will be the fastest one, pretty much on any race track. And then consider it is based on the 12C, that means the 12C is THAT GOOD!!. 

P1 and LaFerrari are chasing the fastest car crown, and I believe the P1 will win handily. The aero package is quite unreal so the cornering speed should be in a class of itself. 

Too bad Porsche wasn't and never planned to play with the P1 and LaFerrari with the 918, or else it would have been a epic battle. 

And I tend to believe Ferrari overestimate the market and the price for the LaFerrari, had that car been priced at 800-900k, it would have been a major success, but Ferrari got greedy and priced in the 2nd hand 'flip' price, so time will tell if their strategy is correct or not.

McLaren however is a different story, while the P1 is a souped up 12C and hence the cost of the car is quite low and so a big profit margin, they NEEDED that money, MPC cost them a big chunk of change and so was the development of the 12C, by most estimates they are still in the red by quite a bit on their initial investment. 

@Whoopsy - Interesting to know that Ferrari is having troubles filling out their list.  It surprises me given the fanatic Ferrari following in emerging markets and the amount of cash floating around in these market.  I think you are 100% right about the three manufacturers being greedy regarding their profit margins.  In the attached link Mclaren states they desinged the P1 to make a profit unlike the F1 (in addition to recovering costs from 12C, I believe that they had to build a new assembly facility for the P1).  

I also think you are right that the P1 is proving that the 12C is that good, especially its suspension.  I don't think you can fault Mclaren for building on that suspension as why couldn't you.  I still would have loved to seen them go the Ferrari route with a naturally aspirated V12 or V10 and also would have loved to seen another incarnation of the 3 seater. 

Whoopsy:
    bhnyc:

There is no doubt the P1 will be the fastest one, pretty much on any race track. And then consider it is based on the 12C, that means the 12C is THAT GOOD!!. 

P1 and LaFerrari are chasing the fastest car crown, and I believe the P1 will win handily. The aero package is quite unreal so the cornering speed should be in a class of itself. 

Too bad Porsche wasn't and never planned to play with the P1 and LaFerrari with the 918, or else it would have been a epic battle. 

The 918 will be up there with the big boys in terms of speed, I'm almost 99% sure Porsche would never let them have it easy. The 918 is a beast and you Sir, have no idea how great the car you have just bought is. ;)

Porsche is still working hard to make the 918 performance exceptional, they took the bullet (from the LaFerrari and P1 presentation) and are trying to improve as much as possible before the car hits the streets. Dr. Walliser, the project leader is quite under pressure right now as far as I heard but I also heard that he is very capable and that he wants to deliver.

I really doubt that Porsche would put a sub-par/mediocre 918 on the market, they will deliver, even if this means that they have to sacrifice something, including their own production cost. The 918 will be awesome but it may not sell out (this could actually be a positive thing for those who are considering the 918 as a collector's car).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

Porsche is still working hard to make the 918 performance exceptional, they took the bullet (from the LaFerrari and P1 presentation) and are trying to improve as much as possible before the car hits the streets. Dr. Walliser, the project leader is quite under pressure right now as far as I heard but I also heard that he is very capable and that he wants to deliver.

I really doubt that Porsche would put a sub-par/mediocre 918 on the market, they will deliver, even if this means that they have to sacrifice something, including their own production cost. The 918 will be awesome but it may not sell out (this could actually be a positive thing for those who are considering the 918 as a collector's car).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I am afraid that there is very limited room now that the engine specs are all fixed Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690610 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409856 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256076 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235303 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4721 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858530 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774797 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM