Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

White exterior!

keithos27:

White exterior!

White is actually an interesting color for the 991 Turbo but I just couldn't do it. The Turbo S shown in Moscow was white with a black/Carrera red bi-color interior and while this combo seems to look nice, I'm not really sure this would be my combo. 

I would rather get guards red with black leather and red stitching, also black painted wheels but... Smiley

I'm not too happy with my agate grey choice, I wish there were more colors available and I wish I could actually SEE these colors live but Exclusive department doesn't seem to have a car ready by end of this month, so I have to see what I am going to see around mid July...if I am lucky. It would be too late to change the color choice anyway but this is why I have that foil guy over here who does wonders with foil. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)

IMHO guards red is the best color for 911. My 996 convertible was red/tan, lovely.

SciFrog:

IMHO guards red is the best color for 911. My 996 convertible was red/tan, lovely.

Red is too extreme for my neighborhood but I kind of have it on my mind all the time. 

Ordering a red Turbo without actually seeing one in reality is a huge risk I wasn't willing to take.

So if I do not like the color I chose, the foil guy gets his chance. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I love that black/red combo but worry I'd get bored of it after two years.... and grey is pretty, but a bit "plain" to me.   To each their own... :)

What about GT Silver?  Too "plain"?

Been seriously thinking about the GT Silver with the black/red interior. One of the Porsche promotional pieces seems to show this combo and it really looked good, but I think the actual red is a bit lighter than what I saw on the screen.  Have only had black cars with occasional greys for so long, but having a hard time breaking out of my rut here?

RC:
    SciFrog:

Red is too extreme for my neighborhood but I kind of have it on my mind all the time. 

Ordering a red Turbo without actually seeing one in reality is a huge risk I wasn't willing to take.

WTF! When are you going to start living your life as you want and not by what other people think?Smiley

nberry:
    RC:
    SciFrog:

WTF! When are you going to start living your life as you want and not by what other people think?Smiley

This from a liberal who wants to tell us how to live... priceless.  Give RC a break - taking others into consideration (his families income and well-being) is admirable.

RC:
    Dario:
    RC:.

The performance of the RUF RT35 sounds nice but isn't that spectacular compared to the 991 Turbo S. 

Ruf Rt35 0-300 in 25 -26secs, 991 turbo s around 32 sec ( if he es really 4-5 sec faster than 997 turbo s)

So that is a hugue gap, also it looks like ruf is putting down more than 650 hp to achieve those numbers

Comparing the first 997 Turbo with 480 hp to the RUF 911 Turbo products at that time, I'd say that the current performance gap Rt35 vs. Turbo S is quite small. Also, chassis/handling wise, the Rt35 won't be able to cope with the new PTM/PDK setup and of course the AWS implementation. Considering the fact that the Rt35 is over 70k EUR more expensive, I would rather wait for RUF to offer a reliable 991 Turbo S tuning than buying a Rt35 now. Or I'd wait for RUF's Rt35 version based on the 991 Turbo, shouldn't take longer than a year for RUF to finish it.

--

Nearly there,740 with pdk....

SciFrog:

Absolutely! 

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

nberry:
    RC:
    SciFrog:

I kind of agree with this...

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

nberry:

When starting living "my" life "as I want" and "not by what other people think" won't affect my family and my wealth. That simple. Smiley

--

Leawood911:
    This from a liberal who wants to tell us how to live... priceless.  Give RC a break - taking others into consideration (his families income and well-being) is admirable.

Thank you.  Smiley Family comes first, you are right. Smiley

--

hugo:

Nearly there,740 with pdk....

740 with the new engine? As far as I know, RUF didn't have access (yet) to the new engine. There have been substantial changes, with PDK too.

--

Conrad2:

Been seriously thinking about the GT Silver with the black/red interior. One of the Porsche promotional pieces seems to show this combo and it really looked good, but I think the actual red is a bit lighter than what I saw on the screen.  Have only had black cars with occasional greys for so long, but having a hard time breaking out of my rut here?

Is it a correct assumption that a GT Silver with black/red interior should present no resale problems or is a red interior always a bit of an issue?

I have thinked that in promotional photos of Turbo there is Rhodium Silver paint, not GT Silver... Smiley

RC:
    SciFrog:

So, it's ok to have a new Turbo S in your neighborhood, as long as it's not a red one.  Smiley

What's strange is that I rarely see a Guards red 911 (991/997/996) here in the Newport Beach / Southern Cal area.  Maybe 1 in 100?

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

SoCal Alan:
    RC:
    SciFrog:

So, it's ok to have a new Turbo S in your neighborhood, as long as it's not a red one.  Smiley

What's strange is that I rarely see a Guards red 911 (991/997/996) here in the Newport Beach / Southern Cal area.  Maybe 1 in 100?

A red sports car is kind of associated with Ferrari and the 991 Turbo S will be quite in-your-face already, so I don't have to actually incite envy and bad feelings. People already started to accept that I am driving Porsche (for weird reasons, a rumor started that I work for Porsche...not that I would deny it... Smiley Smiley).

Bottom line is: Porsche yes, flashy colors not so much. Accept it or not but this is how it works.

Another example: My kids don't take their iPhones to school because it could offend parents of other kids (actually they are advised not to bring any phones or gadgets to school). Same with clothing: They do not wear clothes with very obvious brand marks on them, so they do not offend the kids of poorer families. This is how it works in a mixed society (we have rich people, wealthy people, well doing people, not so well doing people and poor people basically in the same neighborhood). Of course "poor" doesn't mean they live on the street, they have small houses or condos but they cannot afford as much as others. 

--

Mantas:

I have thinked that in promotional photos of Turbo there is Rhodium Silver paint, not GT Silver... Smiley

I would love to see Rhodium Silver in REAL LIFE but I can't. This is really a huge issue for me because so many people told me that Rhodium Silver looks amazing. Well... Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    SoCal Alan:
    RC:
    SciFrog:

A red sports car is kind of associated with Ferrari and the 991 Turbo S will be quite in-your-face already, so I don't have to actually incite envy and bad feelings. People already started to accept that I am driving Porsche (for weird reasons, a rumor started that I work for Porsche...not that I would deny it... Smiley Smiley).

Bottom line is: Porsche yes, flashy colors not so much. Accept it or not but this is how it works.

Another example: My kids don't take their iPhones to school because it could offend parents of other kids (actually they are advised not to bring any phones or gadgets to school). Same with clothing: They do not wear clothes with very obvious brand marks on them, so they do not offend the kids of poorer families. This is how it works in a mixed society (we have rich people, wealthy people, well doing people, not so well doing people and poor people basically in the same neighborhood). Of course "poor" doesn't mean they live on the street, they have small houses or condos but they cannot afford as much as others. 

No such problem over here.  Every kid has a smart phone whether rich or poor. Smiley

But our neighborhoods are more segregated, economically speaking.  You're gonna have the same wealth basically living in the same neighborhoods.

But, the key here, versus other countries, is that even for the low and lower middle class, there is hope to rise out of that, and to someday attain something like a Porsche.  So that is looked at with admiration, rather than envy in most cases.   But this hope is dwindling, as we become a poorer and poorer country.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

RC:
    Leawood911:

Thank you.  Smiley Family comes first, you are right. Smiley

Christian, I can understand Leawood misreading or failing to comprehend what I wrote but not you.I was referring to everyone outside of your family. Why should strangers or causal acquaintances influence how you live? You and your family come first in making decisions. Don't be overly concerned about what other people think.

That said, red is not a good color for Porsche. Worst yet is a red interior. That is death on resale.

The problem is the media. They always talk about how the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. They do not discern between certain categories of wealth, rich is rich. So if you drive a Porsche, you are rich. No matter if you leased it only or if you bought ten of them to have a collection. 

I will stop now, we had this discussion many times before but it is quite interesting to see that many wealthy people in Germany actually seem to agree with the public opinion and they try to keep their life and their wealth in the shadows, so nobody feels offended. My wife has a friend in Munich, her husband is actually close to 200 Mio. EUR worth of wealth. They have a house in South France (huge villa) and they spend a fortune on their vacations to Dubai, Singapur or New York. They drive a Mercedes C-class station wagon and a BMW 3 series Cab, their house is almost hidden behind bushes and hedges and they do not wear expensive jewelry or watches. This is Germany. Some people hide their wealth very well, others are afraid to flash it and to be honest, this is actually the German mentality. Hiding wealth is nothing new, we are the inventors of de-badging cars (you won't find many BMW, Audis or Mercedes cars with the model designation over here). 

--

nberry:

That said, red is not a good color for Porsche. Worst yet is a red interior. That is death on resale.

Some of the highest record setting prices ever recorded at auction were for Porsches with Red interiors.  I love it.  I sold my Polar Silver/Flamenco Red 993 to the first person who saw it.

0603010_9.jpg

3292073387_a4095833f5.jpg

3292074085_1d190db562_o.jpg

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant try selling a car with all red interior today. Not an easy task.

Mantas:

Can you describe the difference between the two?  

Thanks.

RC

RC,

Just wanted to give you a big thumbs up regarding the above statement.  Very good advice for all well-to-do people and a good way to minimize possibility a child will grow up to be a "Paris Hilton" type.

Conrad2:
    Mantas:

Can you describe the difference between the two?  

Thanks.

The configurator does show the difference but it is difficult to tell how they would look in the flesh.

nberry:

Grant try selling a car with all red interior today. Not an easy task.

+1 would never buy a red interior. Not even black/red. Not at all for resale purposes, but more for the sake of that it doesn't look good imho Smiley. But then I must admit that i'm very monocromic when it comes to cars and their interiour. Same as for interiour in a house... keep the basics in neutral colors and have some accessories and easy to replace things in different colors. Why not wearing a red shirt driving the car instead Smiley

TB993tt:

I find it hard to believe that they gave the S a higher red line it is very un Porsche like historically Smiley

Actually, it is very Porsche-like historically if you look far back enough.  There used to be several versions of the 911 in the late 60's and early 70's, each with its own redline.

When the 911S was introduced in 1967, the redline was considerably higher than the regular 911. 

Then in 1969-1972, they had 3 models of 911, each with their own redline (and compression ratio among other things), 911T, 911E, and 911S.

Then in 1973, they had 5 versions of the 911 with 4 different redlines, 911T, 911E, 911S, Carrera RS 2.7 (same redline as 911S), and Carrera RSR 2.8 (redline above 8k).

When the first 911 Turbo debuted (1976 930 3.0), it had a higher redline than the non-turbo 911 of the same year - this continued for many years.  It is only recently (since watercooling, I think) that the Turbo has a lower redline than the n/a car.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

"A radar-controlled cruise control system, camera-based road sign recognition and speed limit recognition are other new options being offered."

Is that an option for us in the US of A?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689603 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409250 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255756 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235001 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858008 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774061 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM