Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Should I do it? Buy a MB W116

Ok, this may be too good to pass up. What if you could buy a pretty mint 1979 Mercedes-Benz 450SEL in Mittelrot (red) on tan leather in complete condition, no rust and only 140k original kms. A lot has been done to it recently and it's collector status so it'll be only a couple hundred bucks insurance annually. Asking is at $2,500 CAD LOL!

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather (Canada)
    1991 BMW 318i Brilliantrot/Black Leather (Germany)

Ex: '89 525i, '74 280E, '87 325is, '86 325e, '05 FF, '85.5 944

Re: Should I do it? Buy a MB W116

Well I might as well show the original ad posting:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/cto/3844983170.html

wink

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather (Canada)
    1991 BMW 318i Brilliantrot/Black Leather (Germany)

Ex: '89 525i, '74 280E, '87 325is, '86 325e, '05 FF, '85.5 944

Lovely old car! Smiley MB built their cars like tanks in  those days, before the bean-counters took charge and quality and reliability took a big dive. My late father had a 260E, same year as this car, if that is the metallic red then same colour (Can't remember the name of it, but it wasn't almandine red), and it is still going strong now, 200k miles later, now being tenderly looked after by a retired MB enthuasiast.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

20,000,000 South European taxi drivers can't be wrong!! Assuming rust hasn't devoured it....

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

20,000,000 South European taxi drivers can't be wrong!! ......

...and I'm buying a Skoda Octavia for my long daily commute to replace my faithful Clockwork Rat for the same reason - North European taxi drivers can't be wrong! Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

If you don't buy it, I will!

What's holding you back? If you like it and have the space for it, the price tag does not seem to be ridiculous, so go for it!

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Car looks stunning and price is a joke

My opinion: ... Old cars suck! Why? Last year I first wanted to buy a Pagode then a Lambo Espada. I test drove both and... The dynamics is sooo boring... Cars are feeling so slow and bad in behavior so not much fun to drive but good to look at. For me the nice face is not enough,,,, behavior is important, too!

So - go for a younger car and enjoy the ride... Those old bricks are right for the museum to watch!

Still think the '80 one I had was one of the best , or at least was then . At some point  MB lost its cache for me, but it wasn't with this model. Just do it great color.

The car looks like its in great conditions, but I won't lie mate, I'd get a more modern car even if i have to sacrifice the brand loyalty. 

Atzporsche:

Ok, this may be too good to pass up. What if you could buy a pretty mint 1979 Mercedes-Benz 450SEL in Mittelrot (red) on tan leather in complete condition, no rust and only 140k original kms. A lot has been done to it recently and it's collector status so it'll be only a couple hundred bucks insurance annually. Asking is at $2,500 CAD LOL!

What´s been holding you back then? Smiley

bridggar:

20,000,000 South European taxi drivers can't be wrong!! Assuming rust hasn't devoured it....

You mean Morocco? 

I've never seen that car as a taxi in Spain

Lars997:

My opinion: ... Old cars suck! Why? Last year I first wanted to buy a Pagode then a Lambo Espada. I test drove both and... The dynamics is sooo boring... Cars are feeling so slow and bad in behavior so not much fun to drive but good to look at. For me the nice face is not enough,,,, behavior is important, too!

So - go for a younger car and enjoy the ride... Those old bricks are right for the museum to watch!

I agree. This is why I had a used Dodge Viper Cab in mind (see photos)...but my car budget is gone, maybe in a couple of years. Smiley Very nice offer though, saw a red one live yesterday and even my wife liked it (she isn't too much into US cars).

This is a car you can drive even in 10 years and it doesn't lack any "dynamics". OK, it isn't perfect but for 59k EUR and low mileage (16k km), this car is actually quite nice. I wish I had the money, I would really get it as a sunny weather fun car. The sound is divine, the design doesn't get old (same as Cobra).

Drove a Mercedes Pagode last year and while I hated how it felt, I actually told the owner, a guy I know in my neighborhood, how nice the car drives but honestly, I would never want this, not even for fun.

viper1.jpg

viper2.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Thanks for the great feedback guys. I haven't done anything yet partly because I am not sure about it and partly because I've been working lots. Right now I live and work downtown and I am not in the position to tinker too much with cars. I'd like to get something more simple because for one I have only street parking, and secondly I need simplicity. This red Benz would be too nice to park out on the street IMO. I am looking again, the itch is there even though the 535i has been brilliant. I am missing that little sporty classic. So, I am actually looking at a clean e30 again... a 30 year old coupe with 318i that is unmolested and done in a very rare Bahama beige metallic. As seen below, its a fascinating BMW color. And why not try a smaller 318i engine, it's great on gas and in the '84 it was the classic M10 engine.

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 318i, '89 525i, '74 280E, '87 325is, '86 325e, '05 FF, '85.5 944

If you are looking at a small engined E30, better IMO get the facelift (1987?) 320i with the small 6 cylinder, 130 HP. Very unique engine and silky smooth.

OTOH the 1.8i  4 cylinder is very strong (the block was used in the F1 turbo which carried Piquet to the championship with Brabham in 1983)  but little down on power at 105 HP.

--

"Form follows function"

Atzporsche:

Thanks for the great feedback guys. I haven't done anything yet partly because I am not sure about it and partly because I've been working lots. Right now I live and work downtown and I am not in the position to tinker too much with cars. I'd like to get something more simple because for one I have only street parking, and secondly I need simplicity. This red Benz would be too nice to park out on the street IMO. I am looking again, the itch is there even though the 535i has been brilliant. I am missing that little sporty classic. So, I am actually looking at a clean e30 again... a 30 year old coupe with 318i that is unmolested and done in a very rare Bahama beige metallic. As seen below, its a fascinating BMW color. And why not try a smaller 318i engine, it's great on gas and in the '84 it was the classic M10 engine.

I'm not a fan of older cars (with the exception of some classic muscle cars and/or classic Ferraris/Lamborghinis/Porsche), I think this is no secret but I really don't understand the desire for older 3 series BMW.

My father had a 25 year old 320i and we were glad he got rid of it, we actually gave it away for free to a young mechanic at the local BMW dealer. I don't know, in Germany, the older 3 series models (with the exception of the M3 models) are not really considered a classic or something special but maybe I am too spoiled.

Why not go with a real classic (and a pretty interesting one) like the BMW 2002 turbo for example? The father of my first girlfriend had one and it was a blast. Not sure about prices though. 

BMW-2002-Turbo-0.jpg

Also the father of a good friend had a Trans Am Turbo more than 30 years ago. Amazing fun car. (I would not get one with any stickers/whatever, looks not good). I will never forget the sound...

TRANSAM.jpg

I understand that money may be an issue but before spending money on various old cars, I would save money for one "nice" car. Just my humble opinion...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Yes RC, I understand your points. It's actually quite weird to compare Germany with Canada. Having spend the past two years back in Germany, I maybe saw like ONE decent BMW E30 on the streets in 18 months. Here in Canada, we see good samples on a daily level and plenty of them. I think it has to do with the strict environmental regulations in Germany, that has really killed a lot of these cars. Also, strict TuV rules in Germany vs. none in Canada and I would also mention safety. In Germany, I felt unsafe on the Autobahn in my 4dr e36... let alone an e30. I couldn't drive it in Germany, it's a tiny car. That doesn't take away the fact though that these cars are tons of fun to drive.. they are very pure in feedback, and very easy to work on yourself. In Canada, where we drive basically at slow speeds all the time any old car with 90hp is still fun.

RC, I am (still) a poor student with very limited funds to "waste" on a car. Let's face it, cars cost money. When I was back in Germany, I used my expertise in BMW parts to start up a business with a friend in which I shipped parts to Canada. We made over 20k CAD profits each in just 12 months. While this may not sound like much to some, it is a lot for us and we turned our hobby into profits. I was never really into the modification of cars, especially not old ones with tons of issues already. I prefer the originality such that I would again consider the above 318i and bring it back to stock with a complete new interior. Then drive it for the summer, insured as a collector so it will cost my $112 annually for all insurance expenses, and flip it in the fall for a modest profit.

I would love to jump into more of a true classic in the sense you mention a 2002 or a 930 Turbo, but the funds and resources are simply not there yet. Trust me, as soon as I deem relatively safe financially I will drive a Porsche. Right now, buying an older 944 makes no sense.. they are too complex and too expensive. That is why mainly I am at BMW at the moment. The E30 just ticks all the boxes and it`s a super fun car.

--

1991 BMW 535i(e34) Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i(e36), '89 BMW 525i(e34), '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E(w114), '87 BMW 325is(e30), '86 BMW 325e(e30), '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

reginos:

If you are looking at a small engined E30, better IMO get the facelift (1987?) 320i with the small 6 cylinder, 130 HP. Very unique engine and silky smooth.

OTOH the 1.8i  4 cylinder is very strong (the block was used in the F1 turbo which carried Piquet to the championship with Brabham in 1983)  but little down on power at 105 HP.

I`ve owned a 4dr 320i Eurospec but these cars were not for sale in Canada so finding one is super rare. I loved it yes.

I`ve always been a big engine guy, owned the 325is and even a slightly modified 325e, which has a 2.7L inline 6! But living in the city these days, a 318i would be sufficient. Also, as you mention I would really like to have owned a base M10 because it`s one of the best engines BMW ever made. Rarely do you see other 4cyl running smoothly with over 300,000kms on the clock.

--

Ex: '91 BMW 318i(e36), '89 BMW 525i(e34), '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E(w114), '87 BMW 325is(e30), '86 BMW 325e(e30), '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Atzporsche:

I would love to jump into more of a true classic in the sense you mention a 2002 or a 930 Turbo, but the funds and resources are simply not there yet. Trust me, as soon as I deem relatively safe financially I will drive a Porsche. Right now, buying an older 944 makes no sense.. they are too complex and too expensive. That is why mainly I am at BMW at the moment. The E30 just ticks all the boxes and it`s a super fun car.

Please do not misunderstand me. I understand your situation, I was just wondering why it has to be the BMW 3 series for example, which in Germany doesn't really have any importance as a "classic" car, with the exception of the M3 models. Not sure this has something to do with environmental laws to be honest.

I don't know about Canada but I know a couple of younger people in the US and you can actually put together a nice car with little money as long as you know what you are doing and if you are lucky to find the right car. Usually these cars are of American or Japanese make, not German. You seem to have an affinity for German cars, I get it but with little money, I think there are nicer possibilities out there. At least in the US (don't know about Canada though).

I like the idea of you having a Porsche, I am pretty sure you would really love the car. A 944 makes sense, even a 914 could (if you find a cheaper one) but there are also older 911 which may not be in the best shape (for the money) but you could work on them, kind of a car project over a longer period of time.

Good luck but I would really stay away from that Mercedes... Smiley

--

Atzporsche:
    reginos:

I`ve owned a 4dr 320i Eurospec but these cars were not for sale in Canada so finding one is super rare. I loved it yes.

I`ve always been a big engine guy, owned the 325is and even a slightly modified 325e, which has a 2.7L inline 6! But living in the city these days, a 318i would be sufficient. Also, as you mention I would really like to have owned a base M10 because it`s one of the best engines BMW ever made. Rarely do you see other 4cyl running smoothly with over 300,000kms on the clock.

Why don`t you get a e30 325IX Touring, that has always been a classy car (Imho) , still looks good today in dark blue on beige leather. Nice engine and all wheel drive.  Those were nice bimmers. As for the 2002 Turbo that is a rather expensive classic Bmw, a nice original and well kept goes for 40-45 K Eur. There was a beautiful one in Essen at the Technoclassica , completely original and nicely preserved and the price was in that range.

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

RC:
    Atzporsche:

Please do not misunderstand me. I understand your situation, I was just wondering why it has to be the BMW 3 series for example, which in Germany doesn't really have any importance as a "classic" car, with the exception of the M3 models. Not sure this has something to do with environmental laws to be honest.

I don't know about Canada but I know a couple of younger people in the US and you can actually put together a nice car with little money as long as you know what you are doing and if you are lucky to find the right car. Usually these cars are of American or Japanese make, not German. You seem to have an affinity for German cars, I get it but with little money, I think there are nicer possibilities out there. At least in the US (don't know about Canada though).

I like the idea of you having a Porsche, I am pretty sure you would really love the car. A 944 makes sense, even a 914 could (if you find a cheaper one) but there are also older 911 which may not be in the best shape (for the money) but you could work on them, kind of a car project over a longer period of time.

Good luck but I would really stay away from that Mercedes... Smiley

Thanks for your comments RC, you are actually spot on. I do have a thing for German cars specifically.. this is why nothing else has really drawn me whatsoever. I'd be very interested what cars those couple of younger people you know in the US have chosen? Do they compare to the pureness and driving pleasure of an e30? For me these older BMWs just tick all the boxes. Their design is simple and clean, they were well build and you can drive them with pleasure. I do not need the fastest car out there, I am cruising sort of guy these days. But i do really appreciate nice engine sounds and tight handling. For me, there is nothing out there apart from the 3er and even a few 5er if specced properly.

Following your advise, I am staying away from the Mercedes. I haven't even gone to see it because I know it just doesn't fit the bill.. it doesn't tick all my boxes. I am however considering a Mercedes 190E 2.6 should I come across a nice sample.

--

m4ever:
    Atzporsche:
    reginos:

Why don`t you get a e30 325IX Touring, that has always been a classy car (Imho) , still looks good today in dark blue on beige leather. Nice engine and all wheel drive.  Those were nice bimmers. As for the 2002 Turbo that is a rather expensive classic Bmw, a nice original and well kept goes for 40-45 K Eur. There was a beautiful one in Essen at the Technoclassica , completely original and nicely preserved and the price was in that range.

That's a very interesting car the 325ix touring but unfortunately it wasn't available in Canada. Ironically you mention this model though, because just today I came across a clean local 1989 325ix with just 130k kms! It's something different but why not...

--

I'm a sucker for classic US cars, can't help it. 

PIC_NzAsMTksODIsMzE2OCw5NmFhYjZkZDM2ZTA4NTFlNjYyMmRjN2FhMGNlMjc3ZjI3YWUzMjVm.jpg

--

RC:
    Lars997:

I agree. This is why I had a used Dodge Viper Cab in mind (see photos)...but my car budget is gone, maybe in a couple of years. Smiley Very nice offer though, saw a red one live yesterday and even my wife liked it (she isn't too much into US cars).

This is a car you can drive even in 10 years and it doesn't lack any "dynamics". OK, it isn't perfect but for 59k EUR and low mileage (16k km), this car is actually quite nice. I wish I had the money, I would really get it as a sunny weather fun car. The sound is divine, the design doesn't get old (same as Cobra).

Drove a Mercedes Pagode last year and while I hated how it felt, I actually told the owner, a guy I know in my neighborhood, how nice the car drives but honestly, I would never want this, not even for fun.

viper1.jpg

viper2.jpg

--

Nice one indeed, for 50K.

There are somme good bargains out there if you're willing to look into other brands than Porsche, Mercedes, Bmw, & so on.

For instance, the Jaguar XKR (510bhp version) can be found for less than 45-50K. Most cars have less than 20.000kms on the clock and are from 2010/2011.

A 510bhp car for this price is nice.

http://fr.autoscout24.be/Details.aspx?id=226033680&asrc=st|s

50K is still too much... try what just 15K can get you...

For example, a completely restored mint and original 944 Turbo in cool color.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/cto/3869440766.html

angel

--

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Atzporsche:

angel

Get it !! Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Indeed, very nice 944 Turbo...if the car is in mint condition.

--

Gnil:
    Atzporsche:

angel

Get it !! Smiley

Now THAT i fully support !! 

I have a real soft spot for this car. That side profile, or the rear hatch! It's soooo much fun to drive.

I can't do it right now. Back to school, and no parking space... Already own my 535i which will likely never sell again because people are crazy and panic about gas prices over here. But it would be an amazing return to Porsche ownership.. until I find a mint 993 broken heart

--

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

laugh Aaron, you b@stard! trying to tease me with pics of mint 944 turbo's? indecision

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763869 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436189 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260904 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257863 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82579 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876594 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808553 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM