Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

The price is too high for me reginos but having seen the car first hand now and hearing more about the tech involved it's understandable why it costs as much as it does. Apparently the development cars that are being driven pretty hard in the US just now are achieving the equivalent of 63 miles per gallon which is astonishing. If driven in a more conservative fashion it is possible to break through the 90 MPG barrier. The green lobby are going to be left scratching their heads by this car.

The battery tech has also moved forward significantly and the batteries will have a 7 year warranty.  A quick charge of the batteries can be achieved in 30 minutes with a special charging unit and I think they said it can be done in 2 hours with an ordinary power connection. Because of the size and power of the batteries Porsche use on this car, it means they are able to re-charge them very quickly whilst driving. The development mule was certainly recharging it's batteries extremely well during the two laps I had in the car with something like a 10% recharged achieved in that short space of time. If this is the power train of the future than I have to say I can't wait to see it filter down to the regular sports cars as they improve the packaging and miniaturise certain components.

One of the interesting things I was told is that as with the Mclaren 12C it seems that Porsche may well keep rolling out further developments with the 918 with owners able to take their car to their service centre for continuous improvements and possibly power upgrades. The service interval is also an incredible 2 years or 20k miles like the rest of the sports car range so it seems real lessons were learned from the Carrera GT which is a costly car to maintain.

ISUK:

I went to a 918 preview event at Silverstone today and was taken for a passenger lap in one of the development mules on part of the grand prix circuit. The mule is running at around 2/3rds power but it was seriously fast! The test driver took us out of the pit lane in electric mode and the acceleration is staggering in this mode and you feel like you are in the batmobile due to the noise it makes. When the V8 is brought into play the noise is incredible due to the top exit exhausts which are less than a metre behind your head. The four wheel steering system and phenomenal brakes make it supreme on a track. It's certainly the fastest car I've been in. The Porsche driver said you have to recalibrate your whole driving style as the braking points in this car are so much later than anything else and it can carry a huge amount amount of speed through corners thanks to the 4 wheel steering.

I think we are in for a real surprise with the final power output of this car

ISUK  - so that was your Rosso Dino Spider there today . Shame  - we should have met up! The thing that struck me most about the car was how incredibly stable it was. I think there is no doubt that they are responding to the  La Ferrari and P1 power figures and the production models will have more power than the current public figures.

I'm just glad I didn't arrive in a Carrera GT. I've never seen so many in one place. Common as muck smiley

The 918 was so stable at speed I found myself thinking how surreal it was that here I was flying around the GP circuit  yet the car was so composed I was able to notice there was a BBC travel info message on the radio display of the media screen indecision

I did the 918 event on Weds. I'd echo everything ISUK and crayphile have said. Fastest car I've ever been in by a mile. Striking bits:

- entry speed to corners off the scale. I think 4WS is playing a big part here - bodes well for the 991 GT3/turbo etc

- brakes utterly incredible (is there some electric motor 'in reverse'/brake re-cuperation effect at work here?)

- very very planted, much more stable than a 911, despite the far greater pace

- noise when the petrol motor kicks in at 90mph just behind your head. Very loud with a helmet on!

Testing on the Nurburgring continues...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzzRS5-yp9k

pxaxh:

Testing on the Nurburgring continues...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzzRS5-yp9k

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 918 Spyder passenger lap at Silverstone...

"A few laps in the Porsche 918 Spyder prototype, on the day the car was limited to 6,000rpm which was a pity..."

Porsche 918 Spyder passenger lap at Silverstone -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

i have a dilema, I have been offered a 918 but not sure if I want it.

I seriously cannot answer that question myself. On one hand I can see it as the ultimate Porsche currently. Like the CGT and the 959 and even the 911 GT1 before it. Something that would be special to own. On the other hand at that price I am not even sure if I will ever break even or even drive it on the public road. At least it's less than what McLaren is asking from me for a P1 as I also had an 'invitation' to buy one.

There will be 918 918 spyders and less than half that for the P1 and LeFerrari, so the 'resale' value potential would be a lot less then other 2. Deep down I am a Porsche guy, yet still I cannot even imagine myself driving a almost million dollar machine on public roads, it will 95% be a garage queen. 

The spyder offer was from last year, it still stands as my dealer just called. My dealer has 3 allocations and one is sold, one is on hold by the owner and the 3rd one is mine if I want it, the P1 offer was from my factory visit in Easter and it still stands. Since I feel like I am quite down on the pecking order yet I still have cars reserved for me, the future doesn't look good on value invested.

Futch, Mike S, ISUK etc, the serial car buyers, wanna help? lol. 

Whoopsy, don't make your decision until the end of this week because I think there will be some Porsche 918 event thing tomorrow, not sure what it is, but all the media are invited to it, so I think it's going to be good. :)

pxaxh:

Whoopsy, don't make your decision until the end of this week because I think there will be some Porsche 918 event thing tomorrow, not sure what it is, but all the media are invited to it, so I think it's going to be good. :)

Where the event will take place?

--

Not too sure, but I believe in Leipzig Germany.

pxaxh:

Not too sure, but I believe in Leipzig Germany.

Hmmm...interesting. I didn't heard about it...Smiley

--

Hi Whoopsie - interesting question you pose.  I was also offered a 918 through the national sales officer in Atlanta - and I am definitely way down on the list.  

I was also surprised to hear that there were Mclarens available.  I saw on one of the posts here that 250 of the 375 were sold.  That was very surprising b/c I asked the local Mclaren dealer here and he told me "he couldn't sell me one if even he wanted to" - I wont tell you what I was thinking at the time.

In this price bracket, the resale question is interesting.  Look how long it took Bugati to sell its production (granted it was phased across production) and today, Bugatis can be had at a discount, so they are not holding 100% of their value.  

Part of me feels the world is becoming so big and rich that there will always be a market and the other part of me feels that the prices are crazy.   Ultimately, I think the car will speak for itself - i.e. how special is it relative to the brand.  Look at the GT3 RS 4.0 - it has already sold at higher value than listing, where as the GT2 RS seems to be going at a discount.

I would pass ( I plan to). I think it will be a great used buy. 

The car is being offered to anyone that has a pulse. They are far below the stated goal of selling 918. Maybe the rumored big event will attract additional interest.

--

Compared to the 1000+ CGT sold, 918 is already more restricted so to speak, but it's still huge compared to LaFerrari and P1. And even the GT3RS 4.0. 

If even the P1 can't get enough buyers, I don't see how Porsche can fill the whole 918 orders. 

@bhnyc, my McLaren dealer also told me he don't have one to sell to me. But my 'invitation' came straight from McLaren headquarters when I visit the factory in March. They told me they can make one available to me despite the dealer selling out their quota. 

I like the 918 inside and out, I really do, but not at 850k. My gut feeling tells me at most this car will keep the value only and not appreciate.  CGT was listed at 450k new and now 10 yrs later it's around 300-350k. 

Maybe crayphile is correct, this car will be a great used car buy. 

kiss

--

I know it's such a technological advanced machine, I would never buy it used only new. The most important question if you consider buying new is if it'll depreciate stupidly... but I really doubt it. It's very limited and exclusive and demand will always be there by some because it also just looks better than the competition (P1, LeF) Most know there Porsche only ever does a supercar every decade at best, so this 918 will be a relative safe bet for me. Yes you have to fork out A LOT of cash, but it may hold a lot, if not all, of it so you get your investment back!

But yeah it is almost a million bucks on public streets angel You will have people following you and even to your home etc...

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather (Canada)
    1991 BMW 318i Brilliantrot/Black Leather (Germany)

Ex: '89 525i, '74 280E, '87 325is, '86 325e, '05 FF, '85.5 944

They even made model of the 918 mule smiley

1368043429139porsche-918-spyder-prototype-spark-1-43.jpg

--

E7D8C6E35341481C8086163B6C2A5F10.jpg

--

My sources tell me that if the 918 quota is not spoken for at the time of production, Porsche will cut the production number.  Also, regarding resale, the 918 is a long (but good) investment.  Yes it will drop a bit during the first few years, but it will certainly regain and surpass its value beyond 3-5 years.  If you can afford it, and can hold on, you will have a sure winner.

My sources also tell me that the P1 is way undersubscribed.  But for those who can afford one, the same investment curve will apply.

I am not familiar at all with the way buying decisions are made for this class of vehicle, but I imagine it has a lot to do with the allegiance of the buyer to a certain marque. A Ferrari aficionado for example would never buy a McLaren P1 unless he was guaranteed a huge short term profit, which I don't think will be the case.

Second, because such cars are hardly used in the real sense, considerations of reliability and drivability don't come into the equation. Such cars will see the odd trip in good weather and the owners will try to verify them on the track a few times, at the most.

In all, IMO they constitute an emotional purchase for people with millions to burn and the brand preference plays the biggest role. It is a fallacy to view them as investments, because people with that sort of wealth have faster and better ways to multiply their funds rather than buying an automobile. Now, if such cars appreciate in 50 years, this time span is outside the horizon of most people who are old enough to afford these über supercars.

Nevertheless, I know what I would personally do if I had such a fortunately pleasant dilemma. I would get a Silver 918 to keep company to my silver Carrera GT and my silver 959 heart

Don't wake me up, let me dream on indecision

--

"Form follows function"

Any news on the special event ?

Smiley

--

Yes, too much silence!

May just rumors.

I'm on the same boat as you guys, I was expecting something on May the 9th, that's what I was told at least. hmm, let's wait and see. crying

Is anyone on this board a committed purchaser?  If so, you should have gotten any event news on the private Web site...

I'm hearing that some new information will be released very soon.  More power and a very impressive NBR lap time.

so, we are still talking about prototypes and no production version. Anyway any info brings it closer to the final,  that is said to be far better than we all think!!!  Let's wait !

Just saw in another forum that press embargo will be free on 15 th next Wednesday, so everything was true. 

From another board:

''Latest info: 

Yesterday's press day went perfect. Press embargo ends on the 15th. That's when the videos and articles will be released. The reporters were blown away by the car.
    "This doesn't feel like a hybrid and the four wheel steering is exceptional. 
    It just doesn't feel like a hybrid...we seriously have some things to reconsider- Chris Harris

Last teaser: Final horsepower rating will be very, very close to 900''

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689766 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409342 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255802 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235026 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65553 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858112 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774186 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM