Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

KresoF1:
    Back on topic...

Sport Classic wheels are available from week 45 production for 991 turbo models.
    Code XRU for Gt silver finish or code XRU + code XDG for High gloss black finish.

The 911 Carrera also will get this?? Thnks

Grant:
    SuzyF:

In the end, from those cars I would choose the 911 TTS...  Or preferably the GT3 if didn't have that wing.

This weekend I saw a 997.2 GT3 3.8L with its wing removed and replaced by the ducktail from the Sport Classic (or similar).  It looked really good...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

OMG...AP+team thought for many hours about the optimal shape and angle of attack---)))

peter

Ll
    RodoRS:

KresoF1:

Back on topic...

Sport Classic wheels are available from week 45 production for 991 turbo models.

Code XRU for Gt silver finish or code XRU + code XDG for High gloss black finish.

The 911 Carrera also will get this?? Thnks

No. At least till next MY.

the 'technological masterpiece' came from a ron-dennis style mclaren sales pitch and IMHO has very little to do with reality. the engine is just a turbo engine with -admitted - a high rev limit but it does not feel any special. the gear box is not at all impressive (actually the BMW M5 gearbox was preferable to me since 'more emotional'). so there is the suspension, which is very good, the brake steer (which was heavily critizised by testers for creating instability during braking from high speed) and the carbon tub. of course the latter is a big step in the right direction but the car as a whole is not any lighter than the aluminum F458. 

also,after 20km i did not know where to put my left foot....no space down there. anyway, it is a very fast and capable car but mclaren did not reinvent the whole automotive world, which is the way they often present themselves....

if i have to choose between an MP4-12C and a 991 GT3 i'd take the GT3 in a heartbeat.

peter

As a new owner of a 12C spider who was on the list with a paid deposit on a 991TT and switched to the MAC, i dont understand your resentment for that car. I dont agree with a single thing you said about the car based on your test drive that you call extensive.  ive driven mine close to 2000 miles in a couple weeks and i can assure you that you are dead wrong about all the above and this is coming from a hardcore porsche and ferrari guy, but still to each his own. thats not why im responding to this, i am responding because im fed up with ferrari (which i love, including my 430), trying to hide the real curb weights of their cars and advertizing to journalists who dont know better, the dry weights instead which is very misleading. my 430 manual says the weight is 3200 pounds but when put on a real scale and a full tank it was over 3400 pounds.

here are the real dry and curb weights of the 458 in coupe and spider versions and the 12C coupe and spider versions and this is coming from the manufacturers and you'll see that you are way off when you compare the mac to the 458 coupe or spider:

dry weight: 458 coupe/spider: 3042/3153 lbs

curb weight: 458 coupe/spider: 3274/3384 lbs

dry weight 12C coupe/spider: 2868/2956 (with lightweight options), otherwise:  2945/3033

curb weight 12C coupe/spider: 3084/3172 lbs

as you see, the 458 with all its aluminum is still 200 pounds heavier than its similar Mac and i wanted to clarify that. even top gear had it wrong in its latest 3 car shoot out episode when they said the 458 spider was lighter than the 12C spider and R8 spider, its not.

--

2011 CTT

2013 12C spider

2013 Audi A5 Cab

I think these rims are the ones to have!
    --

2011 Porsche Carrera 4S Platinum Silver (sold)
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS Basalt Black

2013 Porsche Carrera S GT Silver

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” 
    ― Bob Marley

"This weekend I saw a 997.2 GT3 3.8L with its wing removed and replaced by the ducktail from the Sport Classic (or similar).  It looked really good..."

What a great idea! Too bad you didn't capture it with your camera.

I would drive my RS much more, if it weren't for the ricer wing.. thanks for the tip.

2011_RS.jpg

is that a dark blue or sapphire blue ?? 

thanks for the pic  ... simply amazing 

markow:
    Grant:
    SuzyF:

In the end, from those cars I would choose the 911 TTS...  Or preferably the GT3 if didn't have that wing.

This weekend I saw a 997.2 GT3 3.8L with its wing removed and replaced by the ducktail from the Sport Classic (or similar).  It looked really good...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

OMG...AP+team thought for many hours about the optimal shape and angle of attack---)))

peter

Not saying I would do it.  But if someone drives on the street only (not track) in this neighborhood and obeys the traffic laws, it will never matter.

--

There are many sports cars without wings/spoilers at the rear but their GT racing versions have those added on (Ferrari, BMW, Corvette etc). The max. speeds attained on the track are sometimes lower than what the road version can achieve.

Does this mean that the road versions are not safe and those aero aids are omitted from the road cars for the sake of good looks 

--

"Form follows function"

No - the wings have a clear function - in case of the RS up to 160kgs downforce which is a lot - however, there are only 3 screws on each side and you can easily remove it - but it's about the overall balance of the car - the car is set up to be perfectly balanced which you would jeopardize.....- but then up to 100 km/h or even higher nobody would feel it. I believe the measures are taken with +200km/h or so - not sure.

AAHTT:

the 'technological masterpiece' came from a ron-dennis style mclaren sales pitch and IMHO has very little to do with reality. the engine is just a turbo engine with -admitted - a high rev limit but it does not feel any special. the gear box is not at all impressive (actually the BMW M5 gearbox was preferable to me since 'more emotional'). so there is the suspension, which is very good, the brake steer (which was heavily critizised by testers for creating instability during braking from high speed) and the carbon tub. of course the latter is a big step in the right direction but the car as a whole is not any lighter than the aluminum F458. 

also,after 20km i did not know where to put my left foot....no space down there. anyway, it is a very fast and capable car but mclaren did not reinvent the whole automotive world, which is the way they often present themselves....

if i have to choose between an MP4-12C and a 991 GT3 i'd take the GT3 in a heartbeat.

peter

As a new owner of a 12C spider who was on the list with a paid deposit on a 991TT and switched to the MAC, i dont understand your resentment for that car. I dont agree with a single thing you said about the car based on your test drive that you call extensive.  ive driven mine close to 2000 miles in a couple weeks and i can assure you that you are dead wrong about all the above and this is coming from a hardcore porsche and ferrari guy, but still to each his own. thats not why im responding to this, i am responding because im fed up with ferrari (which i love, including my 430), trying to hide the real curb weights of their cars and advertizing to journalists who dont know better, the dry weights instead which is very misleading. my 430 manual says the weight is 3200 pounds but when put on a real scale and a full tank it was over 3400 pounds.

here are the real dry and curb weights of the 458 in coupe and spider versions and the 12C coupe and spider versions and this is coming from the manufacturers and you'll see that you are way off when you compare the mac to the 458 coupe or spider:

dry weight: 458 coupe/spider: 3042/3153 lbs

curb weight: 458 coupe/spider: 3274/3384 lbs

dry weight 12C coupe/spider: 2868/2956 (with lightweight options), otherwise:  2945/3033

curb weight 12C coupe/spider: 3084/3172 lbs

as you see, the 458 with all its aluminum is still 200 pounds heavier than its similar Mac and i wanted to clarify that. even top gear had it wrong in its latest 3 car shoot out episode when they said the 458 spider was lighter than the 12C spider and R8 spider, its not.

hi AAHTT,

i do not resent the MP12-4C at all, it just does very little for me (after some 5 hours of test-drives in total). most journo tests agree that it is a faster car than the F458 italia but that is of no practical importance to me and most users on the street). i just like the linear power increase of the F458 engine much more than the turbo engine in the MP4 and again, the same holds for the gearboxes. also, repeat, i dislike the lack of space for the left foot. the IRIS info-entertainment is a shame for a car of that price (i admit, ferrari does not shine in this respect either but at least theirs work).  still, i prefer the MP4 over the TT or TTS, by far and no doubt. i just said that the GT3 and the F458 have a much higher emotional value and this is what most people (including myself) buy into when spending so much on a car. otherwise i could have kept the BMW M5 F10 which makes me equally fast on the street than all the cars we discuss here, no?

enjoy your spider, peter

BjoernB:

No - the wings have a clear function - in case of the RS up to 160kgs downforce which is a lot - however, there are only 3 screws on each side and you can easily remove it - but it's about the overall balance of the car - the car is set up to be perfectly balanced which you would jeopardize.....- but then up to 100 km/h or even higher nobody would feel it. I believe the measures are taken with +200km/h or so - not sure.

Anyone doubting that should think back to the controversy which arose after the introduction of the first Audi TT, when customers complained of lack of stability at high speed, which also resulted in some serious accidents. 
    Audi retrofitted the cars with a rear lip spoiler to counter the problem, and those TT's were nothing like as fast as the cars being discussed here. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    BjoernB:

Anyone doubting that should think back to the controversy which arose after the introduction of the first Audi TT, when customers complained of lack of stability at high speed, which also resulted in some serious accidents. 
    Audi retrofitted the cars with a rear lip spoiler to counter the problem, and those TT's were nothing like as fast as the cars being discussed here. 

Also the car is homologated with the wings and aerodynamic supports and their removal could result in serious liabilities in case of accident .

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

KresoF1:
    Back on topic...

Where did you see that those options will be available starting week 45?  I just got my build date for mid-November, but my dealer doesn't know about those options as being available yet.  I'm also looking to get the rear-view camera.  The german pdf that was going around earlier stated those options would be available starting week 41.

I'm in located in California.  Are the release dates for those options different here?

This options are already in online German configurator as well as in EU dealers order system.

KresoF1:
    This options are already in online German configurator as well as in EU dealers order system.

Can't see it in the configurator SmileySmiley

I am very curious how they look on the car....

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

try german config .. i just did it  

Thanks.  Does anyone know if those options are available to the USA market starting week 45?  If not, when will they be available?

hi AAHTT,

i do not resent the MP12-4C at all, it just does very little for me (after some 5 hours of test-drives in total). most journo tests agree that it is a faster car than the F458 italia but that is of no practical importance to me and most users on the street). i just like the linear power increase of the F458 engine much more than the turbo engine in the MP4 and again, the same holds for the gearboxes. also, repeat, i dislike the lack of space for the left foot. the IRIS info-entertainment is a shame for a car of that price (i admit, ferrari does not shine in this respect either but at least theirs work).  still, i prefer the MP4 over the TT or TTS, by far and no doubt. i just said that the GT3 and the F458 have a much higher emotional value and this is what most people (including myself) buy into when spending so much on a car. otherwise i could have kept the BMW M5 F10 which makes me equally fast on the street than all the cars we discuss here, no?

enjoy your spider, peter

Thank you, you must have driven an early 2012  coupe maybe? my IRIS is fine and my left foot was fine too the whole way from san francisco to san diego. I dont know much about the F10 M5 but im pretty sure no current stock BMW can come close to the mac on the street or track. My porsche sales person promised to test the first 991 turbo S he gets his hands on against my spider so that would be interesting. I have already lined up with a friend's 2005 carrrera GT and rolled from 2nd gear  to top of 4th gear (will not mention speeds) and the CGT by then was about 3 cars behind. the same friend has an enzo as well and we will do the same test soon with it. to go back to the turbo since this is a turbo forum, its very impessive that porsche makes cars like the TT that can keep up with super expensive exotics and i loved my 997TT in stock and modified forms, but i think this time the price hike is going to do more damage than good. the main reason i switched from a turbo to the mac spider is the price, even though the mac is almost twice the money,  its not another 911 with a 200k price tag. 

--

2011 CTT

2013 12C spider

2013 Audi A5 Cab

I saw them now. These are the same wheels as on the 911-50. Only difference is that on that car, the center is painted matte black. It's a kind of 20" version of the Cayman S wheel.... Smiley

Don't really like them to be honest. They look cheap and old fashioned. Just my humble opinion of course Smiley

--

suzyF i agree ... didnt like them either 

SuzyF:

I saw them now. These are the same wheels as on the 911-50. Only difference is that on that car, the center is painted matte black. It's a kind of 20" version of the Cayman S wheel.... Smiley

Don't really like them to be honest. They look cheap and old fashioned. Just my humble opinion of course Smiley

Of course it is your humble opinion.Smiley

Personally, I find 991 standard CL spyder design wheels absolutely horrible in design. They look so far like item from some tuner shelf, IMHO.Smiley

I show them to my wifes friend who works for local Elle magazine. She said they they(CL wheels on Turbo S) looks to her like something from Pimp my ride series...Smiley

IF Porsche decided to offer CL spyder wheels in for example Platinum matte finish like on new GT3 I would accept them without problem. BUT, high polished sirface with high gloss inner black paint? NO way...Smiley

Wow!  ................ (now if I sell all three family cars, dip into the kids' varsity fund and curb some expenses, I'm sure there's a way we can do everything a family needs to do with only this one in the garage. Smiley)

KresoF1:

Of course it is your humble opinion.Smiley

Personally, I find 991 standard CL spyder design wheels absolutely horrible in design. They look so far like item from some tuner shelf, IMHO.Smiley

I show them to my wifes friend who works for local Elle magazine. She said they they(CL wheels on Turbo S) looks to her like something from Pimp my ride series...Smiley

IF Porsche decided to offer CL spyder wheels in for example Platinum matte finish like on new GT3 I would accept them without problem. BUT, high polished sirface with high gloss inner black paint? NO way...Smiley

Do you mean the standard Turbo Wheel or the Turbo S wheel?

--

CL(central lock) Spyder design wheels that are standard on 991 turbo s. I do mot like multispoke wheels that are standard on normal turbo as well.

Porsche simply put an awfull job with wheels for 991 turbo/turbo s.

The 997 Turbo wheels were also ugly, especially the Gen 1 and the 991 Turbo carries on with this trend.

Of the current wheels I like most the 991 Carerra wheel for its simple minimalism. Unfortunately they are only made in 19".

--

"Form follows function"

KresoF1:
    CL(central lock) Spyder design wheels that are standard on 991 turbo s. I do mot like multispoke wheels that are standard on normal turbo as well.

Porsche simply put an awfull job with wheels for 991 turbo/turbo s.

I agree with that. Those standard Turbo wheels look awesome on the Macan that's shown in the latest spypics, but they're not for a 911 IMO. For a classic look I prefer the Carrera Classic wheels (IMO the best design since the Fuchs wheels), for a more sporty look I prefer the Sport Techno wheels, partly painted in black. Unfortunatly, both aren't available on the Turbo models in the configurator.

--

Very nice those Sport Classic but also  the heaviest from what I've read.

--

"Form follows function"

Fuchs are producing forged, original style (though in 19'-21') wheels again. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752997 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430661 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258574 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255447 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868269 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801810 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM