Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

RC:
    pxaxh:

Looking good in yellow!

http://www.autogespot.com/porsche-991-turbo-s/2013/06/27

This is a Turbo, not the Turbo S. Smiley

Hmm... It is Turbo S. Check out front, rear exhaust tips etc. Standard Turbo rims can be ordered on Turbo S as well...

keithos27:

Here's a very informative new video of the Turbo S I found on YouTube, lol  :)

http://youtu.be/hhHgghG1wfM

Ouch...Smiley   

pxaxh:

Looking good in yellow!

It DOES look good in yellow... but it drives me nuts that the trim is all black but the stupid headlights are grey.  WTH Porsche???

KresoF1:
    RC:
    pxaxh:

Looking good in yellow!

Hmm... It is Turbo S. Check out front, rear exhaust tips etc. Standard Turbo rims can be ordered on Turbo S as well...

Yup... Turbo S with Turbo rims and Turbo mirrors.  You can see the darker exhaust as Kreso said and the PCCBs (which could be an option on a Turbo of course).

I swear I saw Stig dancing in that Turbo presentation. indecision

Has anyone yet considered black on black with (when available) white deviated stitching?  Maybe white dials and chrono as well?  Saw a 997 on Instagram like that and it looked stunning!

photo.PNG

keithos27:
    KresoF1:
    RC:
    pxaxh:

Looking good in yellow!

Yup... Turbo S with Turbo rims and Turbo mirrors.  You can see the darker exhaust as Kreso said and the PCCBs (which could be an option on a Turbo of course).

Turbo. Don't ask. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)

keithos27:

Has anyone yet considered black on black with (when available) white deviated stitching?  Maybe white dials and chrono as well?  Saw a 997 on Instagram like that and it looked stunning!

Actually, today, when I returned my Panamera Turbo S to Porsche, I had another look at agate grey met.. Not sure I made the right choice, black looks awesome on every 911 and black with a black/Carrera red bi-color interior could look really interesting. My wife had once a black Boxster S with black interior and red deviating stitching, it looked really great but I think a black exterior would deserve a more exciting interior, like the bi-color one.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I love black too!  Just wondering it it will "hide" too much of the Turbo's styling?

Christian, grey is drab on a Porsche. Dump it and get a color you REALLY want and don't concern yourself with what other people think. Get bold and step out of your conservative shell and ENJOY!

I still believe you should get a GT3. The car is made for you. What is the fun of just flooring a gas pedal and reach high speeds on the autobahn? You have been doing that for years. You're not getting any younger. Get yourself a raw machine that you can exercise properly.Smiley

Today, I saw a 458 Spider pulling into his driveway and I could not help but think, been there done that. As I passed it, I was smiling thinking I am getting a car that sole purpose is not to look good but to PERFORM like no other.SmileySmiley

GT3 is useless in snow climate,he does not live in sunny California and needs a car he can use year round.

RC:
    Conrad2:

Getting back to the very mundane, any views regarding 18 way vs 14 way sport seats.  I've got to decide shortly.  Have had both, but interested in others views.

Since the 18 ways are for free, I went for them. The couple of kg additional weight don't really count on a 1600 kg car and sometimes, when I pull my back (it happens), the additional adjustments options help. Smiley
    The 18 way sport seats have another advantage: They look sportier (compare the side parts with the ones of the 14 way sport seats). So the question is not if 18 ways or 14 ways seats but Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) or Sport Seats Plus. Do not take the Power Sport Seats (14-ways), they look (and feel) less sporty. Unless you are a pretty "large" person, then the Power Sport Seats (14-ways) could make sense since they would feel more comfortable around the shoulders and waiste.

23.06.png

What is the difference between the Adaptive Sport Seats Plus and the Sport Seats Plus?  Also, on the Turbo S which one comes standard with the leather backing and the dual stitching? 

absent:

GT3 is useless in snow climate,he does not live in sunny California and needs a car he can use year round.

I afraid you are right. Not only because the RWD but also because of the lack of ground clearance (the Turbo S may not have the best ground clearance either but still better than on the GT3). I also need the backseats because I do a lot with the family on weekends and not having backseats would basically make even more of a garage queen out of the car because I wouldn't be able to drive it on weekends either.

I would love to own both, the GT3 and the Turbo and I am very sad that I cannot afford both but hey, I shouldn't complaint, life is good. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

keithos27:

23.06.png

What is the difference between the Adaptive Sport Seats Plus and the Sport Seats Plus?  Also, on the Turbo S which one comes standard with the leather backing and the dual stitching? 

I think the name already says it: The 18-way Adaptive Sport Seats Plus can be adjusted in much more ways than the Sport Seats Plus. If you have back issues and/or if you usually have issues adjusting seats in cars, get the 18-way seats. Otherwise,t he Sport Seats Plus would be just fine and you save some weight. Caution: For resale, the 18-way seats may be the better choice and the added weight isn't really that much on such a car.

Yes, as far as I understood, the Turbo S comes with the leather backing but I think the dual stitching is not part of the seat configuration, you find the deviating stitching only on certain interior color combos. If you are talking about the regular dual stitching (not the deviating one), I don't have a clue.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

From my understanding, the 18-way seats are the only ones with memory?

FlatSix911:

From my understanding, the 18-way seats are the only ones with memory?

Oops...yes...it seems that way. This is however only important if more than one driver drives the car.

I never change my seat settings, so this is really something you only need when somebody else drives the car too.

--

I was at a vmax event yesterday, basically car people ragging their beasts on an airfield and one car could not be beaten off the line up to ~100mph....... a 997 Turbo S (with remap)

This car went against Aventadors, Nissan GTRs tuned up to 900hp, turbocharged R8 V10 etc  etc and it destroyed all of them, the way it puts the power down from a standing start with the LC is flabbergasting, a sight to behold.

My point for this thread is that with 560hp the new turbo S is going to be the fastest accelerating 0-100mph car out there in real life no question in my mind and this is the important performance metric for most customers (outside Germany) - what a car wink

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

TB993tt:

I was at a vmax event yesterday, basically car people ragging their beasts on an airfield and one car could not be beaten off the line up to ~100mph....... a 997 Turbo S (with remap)

This car went against Aventadors, Nissan GTRs tuned up to 900hp, turbocharged R8 V10 etc  etc and it destroyed all of them, the way it puts the power down from a standing start with the LC is flabbergasting, a sight to behold.

My point for this thread is that with 560hp the new turbo S is going to be the fastest accelerating 0-100mph car out there in real life no question in my mind and this is the important performance metric for most customers (outside Germany) - what a car wink

It would be interesting to see 997.2 turbo s vs 991 turbo s real-life acceleration tests!!!!

TB993tt:

Are we sure he was stock with a tune?  Not upgraded turbos, etc??

Tony007:

Are we sure he was stock with a tune?  Not upgraded turbos, etc??

I had a nice chat with the owner, it was just a remap only from DMS who is a UK chipper, I actually "recognised" the tune as there was one at the last vmax (doing similar feats of acceleration) and it had the same trade mark very black sooty exhaust, the engine must be running mega rich probably dumping fuel in to keep it all cool - not good at all really and I wouldn't like to buy this car second hand without a warranty.

I think the key to the turbo S PDK acceleration (and same will be for the 991) is the factory set up is very very good and a mild remap does not change this, I feel bigger turbos may mess the whole thing up..... There were Nissan GTRs there and one with 850hp was really struggling launching with too much wheelspin and actually slower than stock.not to mention going into limp mode as the clutches overheated.

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

Here's the launch - incredible, the 991 is going to be blush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVFSCNIunDM&hd=1

Note the 850hp GTR frying his clutches Smiley-

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

TB993tt:
    ... it had the same trade mark very black sooty exhaust, the engine must be running mega rich probably dumping fuel in to keep it all cool - not good at all really and I wouldn't like to buy this car second hand without a warranty.

I had a Wetterauer chip in my old Audi RS2.  Went like a bomb - in fact it wouldn't embarrass itself today and it was a 1995 station wagon...  But I had to take it to a chimney sweep for a valet.

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

TB993tt:

Here's the launch - incredible, the 991 is going to be blush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVFSCNIunDM&hd=1

Note the 850hp GTR frying his clutches Smiley-

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

OMG

Aah the cabriolet turbo which slipped my mind in the 991 series

Here's a bad launch from MP4 driver

While I love seeing the 997 Turbo S Cab annihilate the McLaren (even if the MP4-12C driver had a bad start, he couldn't really keep up afterwards anyway), this is a tuned car and comparing tuned cars to OEM setups is a tricky thing. I can basically give a 997 Turbo S 0.2 bar more boost over the whole rev range and make it an acceleration monster but for how long, is a different question. Also Porsche didn't add a watercooling system to the front axle of the new 991 Turbo/Turbo S for no reason, just keep that in mind. No, in no way would I want to buy such a car used, it would be a disaster sooner or later. The engine might be doing OK (not 100% sure about the DI engine though but so far, it seems to be pretty reliable) but the drivetrain, including PDK aren't made for huge torque/power figures beyond the factory specs (with a 10-15% margin in the upper range...maybe). "Cheap" chip tuning usually just raises the boost pressure at the same level over the whole rev band, which can result in huge torque peaks, which the car (drivetrain, etc.) just isn't made for. I wouldn't want something to "break" at 200 mph... angry

--

RC:

While I love seeing the 997 Turbo S Cab annihilate the McLaren (even if the MP4-12C driver had a bad start, he couldn't really keep up afterwards anyway), this is a tuned car and comparing tuned cars to OEM setups is a tricky thing. I can basically give a 997 Turbo S 0.2 bar more boost over the whole rev range and make it an acceleration monster but for how long, is a different question. Also Porsche didn't add a watercooling system to the front axle of the new 991 Turbo/Turbo S for no reason, just keep that in mind. No, in no way would I want to buy such a car used, it would be a disaster sooner or later. The engine might be doing OK (not 100% sure about the DI engine though but so far, it seems to be pretty reliable) but the drivetrain, including PDK aren't made for huge torque/power figures beyond the factory specs (with a 10-15% margin in the upper range...maybe). "Cheap" chip tuning usually just raises the boost pressure at the same level over the whole rev band, which can result in huge torque peaks, which the car (drivetrain, etc.) just isn't made for. I wouldn't want something to "break" at 200 mph... angry

--

Christian, those tunes origins from factory test ecu programs:) modern chip tunes are usually reliable if not to the extent of car capabilities

Christian, those tunes origins from factory test ecu programs:) modern chip tunes are usually reliable if not to the extent of car capabilities

Don't believe everything you hear. Most ECU base programs for the 997 Turbo/Turbo S come from a US(!) company specialized in this stuff. Tuners buy the base software from them and adapt it to their needs, sometimes they actually do nothing. I will even say something very provocative here: Many tuners take the software they bought and program customers cars with it without ANY adaptation. Nothing. Zilch. Of course they tell the customers a big story how much they tested the software, how they specifically adapted it to his car and how difficult it was and how many testdrives they did. If they are clever, they even put a mechanic in the car with you with a PiWiS connected to the car to show you a "test run" and how much they care about your car. Smiley In reality, this is just an illusion created to satisfy customers. Or would you pay 8k, 6k or even 3k EUR for a simple software mod only? Smiley

Nobody at Weissach sells test software to third parties, they wouldn't only loose their job but they wouldn't work in the field ever again. Not worth it. Yes, the base OEM software is a different story, tuners can put their hands on it but like I told you before, there is one big US company who sells Porsche software to tuners and there are some other players in the business who do the same. Tuners usually don't have the time to program a software specifically for every customer car, this trouble is only worth it if it is a very expensive or very special car.
    The regular "cheap chip tuning" business is a fraud and they don't even hide it. Some companies mail ECU units and piggy back devices to customers, just based on their VIN number, so take a guess. I also love these claims that with tuned cars, you usually not only have a better performance but also a lower fuel consumption. Smiley

Just imagine this: Porsche spends months on developing an engine software with dozens of software engineers involved and hundreds of thousands of testing kilometers, maybe even millions of kilometers and you really think there comes John Doe Tuning Inc. with their magical new ECU software for 1000 bucks, making your car a flawless rocket? Smiley C'mon...

Also please take your time and check all the tuned 997 Turbo (facelift) cars tested in various car magazines and then compare their performance with the stock OEM car(s). You'd be surprised, the difference is minimal, sometimes the tuned cars are even slower because of changed chassis and wheel setups.

I am sorry but in the past, the tuning was clearly "noticeable" (take the 993 or even the 996 Turbo as an example), the performance gain was substantial. Even the pre-facelift 997 Turbo was pretty good for tuning but since the facelift and the new DI engine with PDK, tuning has become a bitch. Do you know that many tuners actually avoided the PDK equipped cars because they couldn't get it right? Huge issues, not even sure if they resolved them already.

Please do NOT trust a tuner if he tells you that he got his ECU software from his "Weissach" pal. I heard this story from so many people (and different tuners), that it is getting tiresome. Tuners are like other bussinesses too...they want your money. Some in a honest way (like RUF or Manthey), others not so much. Well... Smiley

--

RC:
    Please do NOT trust a tuner if he tells you that he got his ECU software from his "Weissach" pal. 

I think I re-ignited this rumour Smiley

RC has mentioned it a couple of times, on the DFI 997 and undoubtably on the new 991 turbo it is the complex electronics and systems interactions together with the inherent heat problems with VTG which mean that these are very hard to tune successfully and included in "successfully" means your engine will last like stock.

The sooty exhaust 997 Turbo S I referred to was indeed fast up to near 160kph but its top speed after 2.6km measured by GPS was pretty much the same as a stock car so his extra power and torque had wilted away - this is pretty typical for this type of chip tuning. 

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

Turbo PDK is an awesome launch, but make sure it's in the right gear...

http://youtu.be/FWkYR_DjsoI

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763627 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436033 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260825 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257799 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82565 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

874091 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808381 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM