Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

BiTurbo:

What the angry

Info about this problems is known thing and is almost 6 months old problem. 

I have this clicking sound on mine. Will be talking to my dealer tomorrow.  They couldn't find the root cause when I took it in a month ago. Not good if this was a known issue for  6 months.....

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab

6 months old and now we get to know about it ?

Yes, date on memo from PCNA is 31st January 2014.

Credit to Porsche for replacing free of charge, since this is not a performance or safety issue but just cosmetic.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Credit to Porsche for replacing free of charge, since this is not a performance or safety issue but just cosmetic.

This is not a second hand Dacia, it's a 180k + car that shouldn't have knocking sounds when breaking, fixing the issue free of charge is the least thing they can do IMO.

--

There are lots of noises, creaks, rattles in Porsche (and other sports cars) due to the structure, suspension travel , tyre sidewalls etc. and this is just another one. Most sunroofs rattle but Porsche don't care much. They attended to this one because psychologically customers became uneasy as it emanates from the brakes.

--

"Form follows function"

Just because rattles can happen, some because of design flaws others because of materials used, doesn't make them perfectly ok. Like I said, this is not a second hand bolts bucket, having a cricket on the sunroof or dash after several years is acceptable but owners paid 180k+ for a high performance sportscar who's brakes should not be making mechanical noises from ill fitting parts 

--

Porsche should be sensitive of other noises too, in the same way they are getting into the expense of replacing the expensive ceramic disks. They are fixing this one because it alludes to safety, although it is not a safety issue. But a rattling seat or a creaking dashboard could be more enervating.

I hate interior noises on any car and when they occur I spend time and energy to correct them myself. 

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Porsche should be sensitive of other noises too, in the same way they are getting into the expense of replacing the expensive ceramic disks. They are fixing this one because it alludes to safety, although it is not a safety issue. But a rattling seat or a creaking dashboard could be more enervating.

I hate interior noises on any car and when they occur I spend time and energy to correct them myself. 

I'm sorry, but I do not spend EUR 200k+ to go search for sources of interior noises. There is a place called dealership to do that for me. That's what I pay them for! If I hear an unpleasant noise in my car, the first thing I do is make a phonecall to my dealership. It's their problem, not mine....

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

I wish that all dealerships were that perfect!

Often the noises are intermittent and when you visit the dealer they silence themselves! On other occasions the source is difficult to locate and it takes time, more than one employee to be in the car and luck to isolate the exact spot.

Some noises are described in the official technical bulletins and are easy to fix. Others require the car user to provide some feedback to the dealership.

--

"Form follows function"

I have now a clicking noise when doing slow speed turns and I could bet it comes from the AWS. Now I have to go to the dealer this Wednesday, which sucks. Could be the PCCB too (doubt it though but I know a guy at my dealer who already had this issue with his car, so I wouldn't be surprised) and I'm not a fan of dealership mechanics removing the PCCB rotors, actually "messing" around with the brake system.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

That clicking noise you hear could be a universal joint going bad. Knowing how fast you drive, maybe you shouldn't drive it until its fixed. You don't want a half shaft coming off.

JimFlat6:

That clicking noise you hear could be a universal joint going bad. Knowing how fast you drive, maybe you shouldn't drive it until its fixed. You don't want a half shaft coming off.

This is why I plan to go to the dealer this Wednesday. At slightly over 7000 km and no serious track racing, this would be quite a shocker for me. I still think the noise is related to the AWS though.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Does the clicking sound change when you increase or decrease in speed at all as you turn? Or does it go away when the front wheels are straight? Or is it on sharp turns only?

JimFlat6:

Does the clicking sound change when you increase or decrease in speed at all as you turn? Or does it go away when the front wheels are straight? Or is it on sharp turns only?

The clicking sound (not really a clicking, more of a "thin" metal clanking sound) happens only when I drive very slow (walking speed) and turn the steering wheel to the left or right. No clicking sound when driving straight or fast.

--

RC:
    JimFlat6:

The clicking sound (not really a clicking, more of a "thin" metal clanking sound) happens only when I drive very slow (walking speed) and turn the steering wheel to the left or right. No clicking sound when driving straight or fast.

Experienced the same symptoms on my old 997.1 C4S. Took 3 visits to the dealer to find the issue. It was a joint gone bad.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

If it was a U joint, the sound would be a clicking noise. If its more like a "clank" I cant even guess. The AWS part is in the back that uses gears so who knows. A "clanking" is unusual unless its a cooling fan or water pump.

RC:
    JimFlat6:

This is why I plan to go to the dealer this Wednesday. At slightly over 7000 km and no serious track racing, this would be quite a shocker for me. I still think the noise is related to the AWS though.

Sorry to hear about this potential serious problem.  Keep us posted about dealer diagnosis.  

Sounds like the PCCB noise they describe.  What a shame.  I never had any issues with my PCCB and I miss them - NO brake dust!!!  I should have kept my 997 rather than getting the Turbo.  Then again, I should have kept the 996 and the air cooled cars prior.  Honestly, if I still had my original 914 and never got the others I would still be happy (and a lot richer!)  It seems each of these newer cars adds complexity and future repair expenses which quickly disolve any value.  They are basically dispsosable now after 10 years due to the expensive tech failing.  This is what killed the 928 and what hurts resale values SO much. 

A new Turbo S would be nightmare to keep running in 10 years.  By then you would have welded the dang rear steering, replaced the active rollbars with solid ones and installed coil over suspension in place of the worn out PASM.  Your phone will handle the music and nav system which would have been knocked out after the second fluid spill on the center console eigth years earlier (and not covered by warranty).  The brakes would be steel and the 5 stud hubs would be installed.  You might be looking for a mezger 996 turbo motor (pre variable vane Turbo) to add value to the car at that point.  Too bad you can't add a clutch and handbrake as well, you will be wishing!  - Note - check this post in ten years and see how close I am.

These models aren't basic transportation but are luxury goods that are typically leased not sold. They are a disposable acquisition. And what shopper in their price range wants a car with a 5yr old nav system or that is one or two generations behind in performance? Not many.

JimFlat6:

These models aren't basic transportation but are luxury goods that are typically leased not sold. They are a disposable acquisition. And what shopper in their price range wants a car with a 5yr old nav system or that is one or two generations behind in performance? Not many.

contrast that to what porsches used to be - durable, long lasting, reliable daily transportation.  Yes they were expensive and leasing was unheard of but people still used them for decades and expected to use them on the track if they wanted to (every car had a mezger) - perhaps leasing killed the 911.  You make it seem that because they are leased and super expensive that we should have low expectations.  That pretty much sums up what has happend to the 911.

Mechanically, Porsches now are probably more reliable than they ever have been so I think you have missed the mark. The 991 has none of the engine design faults that the 930, 964,993,996,997 had - its a huge leap from the 930s thermal reactors that could melt rear tires and fuel lines, the cheap airbox and timing chain connectors of 80s cars, the lack of valve stem guides on early 964s, the rms/ims issues on 996s, the cheap toy like hose connectors on the 997s etc etc etc. The 911 motors before the 996s weighed way more than a Corvette V8 mall block and had more issues than listings in a NYC phone book.  Better than a Alfa Romeo, but there was never any reliability perfection, but the driving experience was perfection.

It is some sort of sheer metal clanking noise, as if something is loose but only at a very low speed and only when I turn the steering wheel. Weird. I will have the dealer check on it today.

A couple of days ago, I noticed a plastic bag getting caught underneath the car (engine region), which made some noise, so maybe something else got "caught up" somewhere? I will know more this evening.

--

I hope it turns out as nothing "serious", such things can be quite annoying... yes

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

RC:

It is some sort of sheer metal clanking noise, as if something is loose but only at a very low speed and only when I turn the steering wheel. Weird. I will have the dealer check on it today.

A couple of days ago, I noticed a plastic bag getting caught underneath the car (engine region), which made some noise, so maybe something else got "caught up" somewhere? I will know more this evening.

Ask them to check the metal cover plates that protect the brake disks on the inside. Sometimes they get little bent by a stone or something and touch the disk under load. At speed with all the other noises it is often not heard.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

Again, exactly what I had. Can you feel the clank through the steering wheel / pedals? I could.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Rossi:

I hope it turns out as nothing "serious", such things can be quite annoying... yes

Well...the diagnosis is in: The front PCCB rotors need to be replaced. 
    The noise is not that loud (yet) but I'm afraid that it could cover "other unwanted noises" (this is a high performance car driven sometimes under extreme conditions), so we decided to exchange them to be on the safe side (not because of the rotors themselves but because of the mentioned "other noises"...if any occur at some point).

The weird part is: The noise doesn't appear when I brake but it appears when I drive slowly. Now I just hope that my mechanic got the diagnosis right. Smiley I am going to be at my dealer again tomorrow, just to make that sure.

There are also two other "repairs" necessary, another PDCC software update (had already two AWS and one PDCC software update) and the sound symposer needs to be checked and repaired because the duct can get loose and the sound symposer would not work properly. This stuff is not safety related but I thought it is worth mentioning.

--

Porsche using us (the consumers) as their R&D guinea pigs enlightened

Come on now... you know no car (or product really for that matter) is ever perfect when released.  :)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688627 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408727 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255528 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234797 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65399 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857592 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773412 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM