Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

FlatSix911:

To me, the "squashed beetle" look of the 911 is an inherent part of the car's long, fascinating and wonderful history.

I think it is part of the 911's timeless charm.

That the 991 TTS may be considered the "ultimate squashed beetle" only adds to this charm for mewink

Although, at this point, calling it a "squashed beetle" is less accurate than referring to humans as "hairless apes". All cars, like biological organisms, have lineages they are descended from -- the first cars were, literally, horseless carriages -- but the divergence of the 911 and the Beetle is more equivalent to Bush Babies (Galagos) and humans, and they share even less "DNA".

So, in that sense, it's hard to see "squashed beetle" as intended as anything but an undeserved putdown.

Lighter colors do seem to enhance the supercar shape. Picture don't do much justice. One has to see it live to understand. In fact I was surprised to see the car sitting just above my hip, which is very low, just a few years back only exotics had this much clearance. I won't be surprised to see future 911 even more "exotic" looking compared to today's standard.

--

2014 991 Turbo (on order, Nov Prod)
    2012 991 C2S w/Fabspeed SOLD
    2011 Ferrari 458 Italia Rosso Mondiale / cuoio
    2011 Turbo S Cab SOLD
    2010 BMW AH7 
    2010 Caddy Escalade
    2006 Cayman S First P car, SOLD

Please don't refer to the 991 as a beetle! Damn I really do hate that car and If I thought everyone would say that it looks like one I would buy myself an Aston Martin tomorrow. Porsche 991 TTS is a supercar by all standards and should never be compared to the beetle.

apias:
    FlatSix911:

To me, the "squashed beetle" look of the 911 is an inherent part of the car's long, fascinating and wonderful history.

I think it is part of the 911's timeless charm.

That the 991 TTS may be considered the "ultimate squashed beetle" only adds to this charm for mewink

Although, at this point, calling it a "squashed beetle" is less accurate than referring to humans as "hairless apes". All cars, like biological organisms, have lineages they are descended from -- the first cars were, literally, horseless carriages -- but the divergence of the 911 and the Beetle is more equivalent to Bush Babies (Galagos) and humans, and they share even less "DNA".

So, in that sense, it's hard to see "squashed beetle" as intended as anything but an undeserved putdown.

What you say is true. When people call the 911 a "squashed beetle" it is clearly a pejorative statement.

However, unlike others, I find the 911's historical ties to the Beetle as being part of the charm; let us not forget that the Beetle, 356 and 911 are the combined works of three generations of the same family.

Of course, a 911 is no more like a Beetle than a domestic cat is like a lion...but the link is there.

In any case, I apologize, it was not my intention to go so far off-topic.

i see it part of the car history and i like it    FULLSTOP 

a friend of mine who got his car like 1 week ago .. his tire flat dunno some kind of screw went inside 

the  new tire a single one  cost him $1122 .. this is so over priced  

rear tire

On the German on-line shop I buy tyres for all my cars from, the Pirelli rears (N0) are advertised at 327 EUR +shipping. Less than half the price!

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

On the German on-line shop I buy tyres for all my cars from, the Pirelli rears (N0) are advertised at 327 EUR +shipping. Less than half the price!

--

"Form follows function"

www.tirendo.de seems to have pretty low prices but I suggest confronting the local dealership with these prices, they may be able to match them and still make a small profit and even if they are a few Euro more expensive, it is OK. I love giving the local dealership my business, even if I have to pay a couple of Euros more because they are always there for me when I need them. They deserve it. Of course if they charge over 100 EUR more per tire, this is out of the question but like I said, they usually try to match the best internet offer and it is worth it.

Regarding the Beetle and the 911: Yes, the classic Beetle is the ancestor of the 911 but this is it. For a couple of decades now, the 911 and the Beetle have nothing in common, so I do not understand this comparison either. This is like saying that the Ford Mustang is related to the "Tin Lizzie". Smiley Yes, I hate the Beetle, always did. My father had a VW Beetle, I was ashamed driving in this thing as a kid, it was a horrible car and my father didn't know how to get rid of it faster but we didn't have money at that time. The whole love for the Beetle actually started with Herbie and the Hippie movement, also when the classic Beetle production was actually over. I don't know many people of my generation who actually liked the Beetle but a friend of mine had a Karmann Ghia and he loved it because he couldn't afford a 911 but he claimed the Karmann Ghia would give him the feel of driving a 911. Weird. Smiley Not sure how much power it had  but I think something around 50 hp. Smiley Yeah...really...911 drive feel. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I buy from www.reifendirekt.de. Good prices and fast service. But I will also check out tirendo. Thanks.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I buy from www.reifendirekt.de. Good prices and fast service. But I will also check out tirendo. Thanks.

They are OK too, never compared their prices with tirendo.de since I haven't ordered from them (like I said, I usually talk to my dealer and if he is only 20-30 EUR per tire more expensive, I order from him). I didn't know they deliver to European neighbors too, interesting.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I have technical question.

I've already asked my Porsche dealer, but they have no answer right now as they only delivered three 991 TTS, one of which is mine.

When I'm going at a very relaxed pace, low revs and then I slightly increase the throttle, the car shifts down. In that moment, only when I'm going very slow, and only sometimes, I hear a slight "clonk". I don't know how to better describe the noise.
    It's not very loud, there's no effect on the car's response, but it sounds kind of wrong.
    The Cayenne Turbo has never done anything like that or the RS6, but they are both much more silent cars. The 911 is obviously a car in which mechanical noises are way more present and since it's my first one I don't know if it's normal or if I should worry.

At Porsche they told me that they need to try it. They've already driven it more than I did ;)) - not really of course, but a lot anyway - and I'm kind of tired of it.

Any suggestion?

mc3744:

I've already asked my Porsche dealer, but they have no answer right now as they only delivered three 991 TTS, one of which is mine.

When I'm going at a very relaxed pace, low revs and then I slightly increase the throttle, the car shifts down. In that moment, only when I'm going very slow, and only sometimes, I hear a slight "clonk". I don't know how to better describe the noise.
    It's not very loud, there's no effect on the car's response, but it sounds kind of wrong.
    The Cayenne Turbo has never done anything like that or the RS6, but they are both much more silent cars. The 911 is obviously a car in which mechanical noises are way more present and since it's my first one I don't know if it's normal or if I should worry.

At Porsche they told me that they need to try it. They've already driven it more than I did ;)) - not really of course, but a lot anyway - and I'm kind of tired of it.

Any suggestion?

Are you sure this is not part of the "spitting" exhaust noise I mentioned? It sometimes sounds so weird (from the inside only) that some people (for example passengers) think there is something hitting the undercarriage or the wheel well. I had to get used to it and I still don't like it.

Otherwise, I don't have a clue but I will pay attention when I drive my Turbo S again.

--

RC:
    mc3744:

Any suggestion?

Are you sure this is not part of the "spitting" exhaust noise I mentioned? It sometimes sounds so weird (from the inside only) that some people (for example passengers) think there is something hitting the undercarriage or the wheel well. I had to get used to it and I still don't like it.

Otherwise, I don't have a clue but I will pay attention when I drive my Turbo S again.

Thanks RC.

I'll try to listen super carefully. If they have time I'll take a Porsche mechanic for a ride today to see what they think.
    I'll keep you posted.

sulaiman:
    a friend of mine who got his car like 1 week ago .. his tire flat dunno some kind of screw went inside 

the  new tire a single one  cost him $1122 .. this is so over priced  

rear tire

It's called daylight  rip off

From tirerack

thats not rip off ... that a reap 

RC:
    mc3744:

Any suggestion?

I just took the head of maintenance for a ride.

It appears everything is normal. It's the PDK. GT3, Turbo and Turbo S - according to his (limited as of now) experience -  all make the same noise when they are "below torque".

I was worried that it could have been some residual issue with the first major software/transmission problem.

Previous PDK versions also do a kind of noise (which I cannot describe in words) in similar conditions. Also VW DSG, especially on the dry clutch ones it is very noticeable.

When you go slow turn on the radio and you will not notice it as much indecision

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

When you go slow turn on the radio and you will not notice it as much indecision

I actually do that! SmileySmiley

For those of you in the L.A. area who have yet to see (or hear) a '14 TTS up close,  I'll have mine at the Palos Verdes Coffee and Cars next Saturday (Feb 1) from 7:30 to 9:30 am

JimE60:

For those of you in the L.A. area who have yet to see (or hear) a '14 TTS up close,  I'll have mine at the Palos Verdes Coffee and Cars next Saturday (Feb 1) from 7:30 to 9:30 am

Thanks, I would have made it 11 years ago when I lived in South Pasadena. I'm like 10,000 miles away in the middle east now. I guess I'll just have to wait for at least a month. My car isn't even ONVESL yet.

It is the selection of the next gear in anticipation of the next move by the driver which is making the noise.  Because the other clutch needs to determine which gear might come next and because of the recent downshift the transmission prepares for another downshift rather than the upshift progression it was on.  You will hear additional noises anytime the transmissions idle clutch 're-thinks' what it believes the driver will ask for next.  When the next gear is not the one 'preselected' by the second clutch then the shifts can take much more time and result in more action in 'preselection' of the next gear as well.  If a driver sufficently confuses the system it can make a whole lot of noise and slow down the shifting quite a bit.  Even when using the shift buttons in 'manual mode' the other clutch in the PDK is hunting for what to do next. 

For all these reasons - give me a MANUAL!

Leawood911:

It is the selection of the next gear in anticipation of the next move by the driver which is making the noise.  Because the other clutch needs to determine which gear might come next and because of the recent downshift the transmission prepares for another downshift rather than the upshift progression it was on.  You will hear additional noises anytime the transmissions idle clutch 're-thinks' what it believes the driver will ask for next.  When the next gear is not the one 'preselected' by the second clutch then the shifts can take much more time and result in more action in 'preselection' of the next gear as well.  If a driver sufficently confuses the system it can make a whole lot of noise and slow down the shifting quite a bit.  Even when using the shift buttons in 'manual mode' the other clutch in the PDK is hunting for what to do next. 

For all these reasons - give me a MANUAL!

Thanks for the explanation Smiley

Yes a manual would be good Smiley

Still not convinced with that PDK noise explanation since I haven't heard a peep from mine. Maybe I didn't pay attention but I will check on that tomorrow.

--

Here's a dressed up Turbo S, spotted in the Netherlands. Not really my taste (too flashy), but it does look kinda special though. It has some painted parts I've not seen on a car yet and it is equipped with silver GT3 wheels.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonlight blue metallic

That's living proof that taste is really subjective. My baby has already been shipped out of Bremerhaven a couple of minutes ago. I m tracking the vessel (Don Carlos) via marinetraffic.com, our west european friends are lucky not to go through this torture. The website is really informative plus the dealer has access to vessel name once the car is ONVESL. This is my second time doing this, the first was back in 2009, my 997TT was on NYK Volans Leader which I watched dock on port, offloaded cars (The ship is a big parking structure) and left, all in under 120 mins!!!   

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/details/ships/566088000

Geeze those Turbo's are high riders!

is it me or this car is ugly ?

sulaiman:

is it me or this car is ugly ?

It is not you.  Smiley

The clear tail lights look good on lighter colors, like white, silver or even agate grey but they look horrible on dark colors, simply because they are not dark but almost clear (with a tiny bit of grey tint). I have seen them on various cars and I never liked it how they looked on darker colors. Agate is actually the darkest color the clear tail lights look good on. The contrast with the clear tail lights is too high on darker colors, it really doesn't go with them.

The GT3 wheels are surely not approved but I think the owner couldn't care less. Smiley

Everything else, well...I really have to keep my mouth shut because I could say things I would regret later on. Smiley Smiley

--

that car Looks horrible

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Hahaha glad you feel that way about it guys... I didn't want to be too rude when i posted it, so that's why  i carefully said it wasn't my taste, but nevertheless I did want to post the pics as an example of how it shouldn't be. To be honest... to me this car looks like a Turbo that always dreamed of being a GT3, but it never really worked out....angry 

But to each their own of course... I think the owner is quite happy the car....

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonlight blue metallic

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764335 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436504 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261040 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257966 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82637 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876864 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808917 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM