Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

TB993tt:
    andyFE:

if you like the design of the TTS....then you really deserve it...::::))))) after all there is no accounting for taste.

Why be so rude ? this is a Porsche forum and a 991ttS thread, of course the majority will like the design, I love it but I love 911s, have driven them exclusively since 1988 - to me that Ferrari looks just a poseurish POS but I wouldn't go on a Ferrari forum and say that, you like Ferraris, good for you and as you say there is no accounting for taste Smiley

Agree.

J.Seven

andyFE:
    on the quality of UK roads, i stand by what i said: in general the worst in western europe.  certainly there are the most narrow roads which i have ever encountered and - in general - the roads with the worst maintainence. this is my own empirical analysis and it may certainly differ from yours.

also, i find the sheer volume of traffic on UK roads higher than in those countries i know well like italy, austria and germany. of course this is an impression and not a statistical analysis.

My experience on driving across the UK and on the continent (France regularly, Germany and Belgium to a lesser extent and Switzerland occasionally) is also that UK the roads are generally in worse condition and narrower.   But I'll too admit that is just my experience. 

Suzy is right as well, there are narrow roads everywhere, not just UK.  Its just that I find the best driving roads in the UK, that are free from traffic, tend to be narrow, which IMO renders all the 991 TTS performance a bit redundant just when you want it.  This applies equally to Ferrari, Aston, Jaguar and Lamborghini and was one of the reasons I sold my F355. 

--

Gen II Cayman S

J.Seven:
    TB993tt:
    andyFE:

if you like the design of the TTS....then you really deserve it...::::))))) after all there is no accounting for taste.

Why be so rude ? this is a Porsche forum and a 991ttS thread, of course the majority will like the design, I love it but I love 911s, have driven them exclusively since 1988 - to me that Ferrari looks just a poseurish POS but I wouldn't go on a Ferrari forum and say that, you like Ferraris, good for you and as you say there is no accounting for taste Smiley

Agree.

J.Seven

i am in the process of finalizing the acquisition of a TTS  but that does not mean it is the most beautiful car around. very accomplished yes, but beautiful no. my present F458 has to go mainly my wife does not like the attraction it gets,  but it is on a different planet design-wise. poseurish?? maybe you should consider changing your drive after so many years.

J.Seven:
    TB993tt:
    andyFE:

Agree.

J.Seven

I agree too. I come to Rennteam to read about Porsches because I like them. I like Ferraris too so thats why I goto FerrariChat....I don't use my British wit on what other people like or not to get my point across....

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive MSport & 2012 x5 - TurboS Cab on Order Mar14. Range Rover V8 on order June14

EnglishManInNY:
    J.Seven:
    TB993tt:
    andyFE:

Agree.

J.Seven

I agree too. I come to Rennteam to read about Porsches because I like them. I like Ferraris too so thats why I goto FerrariChat....I don't use my British wit on what other people like or not to get my point across....

You know andyFE, I find that "sorry" is one of the most powerful but underused words in the English languageSmiley

thats a bit harsh, i agree. but i dont agree that the TTs is one of the best designs for the 991, that actually goes to the GT3. Also, i think the front end of the TT is not quite impressive or imposing enough for a car of that caliber. the 997TT had a much more intimidating frontal presence and its side intakes were larger and better designed and fitted than these. these smallish round intakes look pretty weak to me for a car with such extreme performance. the rear is great but the weak front and its ugly small LED lights was one of the reasons i canceled my order after seeing the first spy pics months ago (i remember discussing that with christian), but again taste is a very personal thing and this is a porsche forum so all opinions should be respected.

--

2011 CTT, 2013 12C Spider, 2013 A5 cab, 2014 4Runner Trail Edition

AAHTT:

thats a bit harsh, i agree. but i dont agree that the TTs is one of the best designs for the 991, that actually goes to the GT3. Also, i think the front end of the TT is not quite impressive or imposing enough for a car of that caliber. the 997TT had a much more intimidating frontal presence and its side intakes were larger and better designed and fitted than these. these smallish round intakes look pretty weak to me for a car with such extreme performance. the rear is great but the weak front and its ugly small LED lights was one of the reasons i canceled my order after seeing the first spy pics months ago (i remember discussing that with christian), but again taste is a very personal thing and this is a porsche forum so all opinions should be respected.

--

2011 CTT, 2013 12C Spider, 2013 A5 cab, 2014 4Runner Trail Edition

+1

AAHTT:

[...] but i dont agree that the TTs is one of the best designs for the 991, that actually goes to the GT3. [...]

It's a question of personal taste. I like the design of TTS as much as I like the design of the GT3 and I find those 2 models much more appealing than the other 991 variants. But that's just me, and like some members have already mentioned, it's really no need to get rude over personal taste. To each their own. This is probably also a biased opinion, but I do prefer the 997 design over the 991 still... maybe that will change in the future, I will see.

--

Porsche 911 GT3 - Guards Red 997 MKII Clubsport

I argee with Gauss - but just sat this morning in a new black 991Turbo (non-S) and have to admit that in flesh it's the first 991 design appealing to me. Interestingly they seem to give 7.5% reduction right away for that car 

Gauss:
    AAHTT:

[...] but i dont agree that the TTs is one of the best designs for the 991, that actually goes to the GT3. [...]

It's a question of personal taste. I like the design of TTS as much as I like the design of the GT3 and I find those 2 models much more appealing than the other 991 variants. But that's just me, and like some members have already mentioned, it's really no need to get rude over personal taste. To each their own. This is probably also a biased opinion, but I do prefer the 997 design over the 991 still... maybe that will change in the future, I will see.

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

andyFE:
      but it is on a different planet design-wise. poseurish?? maybe you should consider changing your drive after so many years.

However you cut it Ferraris are poseurish whereas Porsche are still seen as relatively utilitarian even a blinged one like mine which can be seen driving in all weathers covered in grime parked with other normal cars, this is an advantage for many of "us".

I won't be changing my "drive" any time soon because there is nothing out there like it, very few people get to drive something like this every day, like Walter I enjoy changing gear and with an engine dyno developed Mezger engine (with over 800NM from 2750rpm to 7200rpm) this car is exciting on a level which production cars cannot reach.

I feel slightly sad for you that you are "changing your drive" for a 991ttS yet you obviously are not that excited about it. I on the other hand am like a kid at christmas knowing I am getting installed the latest Drexler LSD and the little part in pic below - these are components Porsche engineers have wet dreams about Smiley

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

question

is it only me or you feel it to 

every time i get in my TTS it feels like the first time when i picked it up same fun same excitement 

its like an event to just open the door in get it 

sulaiman:

question

is it only me or you feel it to 

every time i get in my TTS it feels like the first time when i picked it up same fun same excitement 

its like an event to just open the door in get it 

Same here but I'm afraid that the car also creates a serious issue for me: It is so fast that especially now, in winter time, there is actually no point in driving it when it is dry and sunny outside, unless I make a longer trip. I actually hope for snow, so I have a challenge and of course I hope for the summer to enjoy a different type of driving on summer wheels and in other, more interesting, regions. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

kiss

The 991 Turbo S is the first Turbo I like. All previous models were not my taste. Too eye-catching.

But this 991 Turbo look strong, sporty 100% like a Porsche have to look like. I like it much more than the normal 991 which looks boring when standing near a 991 Turbo S.

This will be definitly my next car. But I can't afford a new one, so I have to wait 3 or 4 years, when they come near to the 100k€ mark.

I start thinking about selling my almost new Boxster S.....

--
    981 Boxster S (PCCB, PASM, PTV, SportChrono, Bose, ventilated heated sport seats plus, PCM, full leather with some X Options, .....)

today i got my TTS to 1700 KM 

so i tried to push it  ,,,the strange thing is the turbo reached max of 1.1Bar  never seen 1.2 even with WOT 

correct me if im wrong isnt i suppose to see some thing around 1.35Bar with the overboost ?? 

temp  was around 16.5 C 

The 997TT would go to 1.2 Bar for 10 seconds (on sport+) and would then go back to 1.0

If you see a small arrow pointing up next to the turbo pressure reading, it means you are on the temporary (10 sec) overboost function.

Enjoy it while the climate is still cold. Turbos lose a lot of power in hot climate (35 degrees and up), out of experience.

The problem I'm not getting anything above 1.1 

even the 1.1 I saw it only once  and it's not easy to try and flor it .. I need a good stretch of a highway with no cars around 

but never seen the 1.2 and I tried to the kickdown to try the overboost there was no  deference   

sulaiman:

The problem I'm not getting anything above 1.1 

even the 1.1 I saw it only once  and it's not easy to try and flor it .. I need a good stretch of a highway with no cars around 

but never seen the 1.2 and I tried to the kickdown to try the overboost there was no  deference   

You usually always see 1.2 bar over 240 kph in Sport oder Sport Plus mode when you fully accelerate from let's say 220 kph on. Otherwise, 1.2 bar are pretty seldom, 1.1 bar is OK. You will NEVER see more than 1.2 bar.

This is how it works with the boost pressure and some of you may be surprised:

The maximum boost pressure (for both, the Turbo with Sport Chrono and the Turbo S) is 1.2 bar. No kidding. There are however two different boost ranges which need to be understood:

1. Overboost range (between 2.000 and 4.000 rpm) without Sport/Sport Plus, both Turbo und Turbo S produce 1.0 bar maximum boost pressure (torque 660 Nm in the Turbo and 700 Nm in the Turbo S) and with Sport/Sport Plus the Turbo and Turbo S produce 1.2 bar maximum boost pressure (torque 710 Nm for the Turbo and 750 Nm for the Turbo S). It may look like a 0.2 bar boost pressure increase with overboost but in reality, it is 0.15 bar. The display doesn't show 0.01 bar digit steps, only 0.1 bar steps. The different maximum torque figures for the Turbo and Turbo S result from a different boost pressure level at the corresponding rpm figure.

So you will see 1.2 bar even on the regular Turbo but the maximum torque is lower compared to the Turbo S, the car has a different software mapping. It may look like an artificial limitation but in reality, both software mappings actually have their purpose (the Turbo S mapping is slightly more "aggressive") and have been individually programmed/adapted.

2. Maximum power range (Turbo S at 6.250 rpm), this is where the Turbo S engine produces 1.15 bar, the Turbo 0.9 bar. This is where the power difference of 40 hp comes from (0.25 bar more boost pressure equals 40 hp more power in this case).

Please don't ask more details, even if I had them, I couldn't share them with you. Smiley

So what I am basically saying here: In real life driving conditions, the performance differences between the Turbo and Turbo S are limited, especially in the lower rev range (with the exception of the maximum torque rpm range) and in the lower speed range (below 200 kph or so). So if someone cannot (or doesn't want to afford...for various reasons) the Turbo S, the Turbo isn't a bad choice either. 

--

adilojaili:

The 997TT would go to 1.2 Bar for 10 seconds (on sport+) and would then go back to 1.0

If you see a small arrow pointing up next to the turbo pressure reading, it means you are on the temporary (10 sec) overboost function.

Enjoy it while the climate is still cold. Turbos lose a lot of power in hot climate (35 degrees and up), out of experience.

You will be surprised to learn that through improved thermo management and thus improved cooling capabilities, the 991 Turbo S will "loose" much less power in hot climates than for example the 997 Turbo S.

--

911 Turbo S Magny Course Lap Time on PZero

RC:

You will be surprised to learn that through improved thermo management and thus improved cooling capabilities, the 991 Turbo S will "loose" much less power in hot climates than for example the 997 Turbo S.

Hey RC, you never did expand on this ? Can you elaborate and say how the improvements are achieved compared to 997 turbo S ?

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

This (and the assurance that the new 991 Turbo S engines just seem to run very well with the next AWD/AWS technology and PDK setup) is all I have, sorry yes

The middle cooler in the front is a new development with a higher cooling capacity. 

The cooling fans have an improved power of 400 W (vs. 280 W in the 997).

Many vital engine parts have been improved for better heat dissipation and durability/stress. While the engine seems to be the same type as used for the 997 Turbo/S models, the new 991 Turbo/S engine doesn't have many parts in common with the old one because they parts have been improved. Basically, the engine is new but it is mostly based on the "old" concept (not a new engine generation).

Turbo S air blades improve cooling to the side coolers, they are also standard on the regular Turbo in regions with a very hot climate.

Intercoolers are similar to 997 models but due to the new side vents and air outlets in the lower rear bumper, air flow has been substantially improved.

The electrohydraulic operated PTM clutch for the front axle allows 10% more power and at the same time a much faster and more precise reaction. This improves driving dynamics and traction. For even better durability at extreme stress, a water cooling system has been added, which is integrated into the engine's cooling system, incl. a separate electric water pump and a separate oil/water heat exchanger.

--

BiTurbo:

911 Turbo S Magny Course Lap Time on PZero

Interesting but it lacks information about the tires used for the test (many of the cars available in the upper ranking are available with standard or optional UHP tires). In my opinion, the 991 Turbo S test result is quite impressive.

--

guys help needed please 

any way that i can save my setting to have the auto Start stop engine  OFF all the time ?? 

Your Dealer should be able to program that for you. I had the same issue with my Panamera and they did it. Off was the default setting.

RC:

Interesting but it lacks information about the tires used for the test (many of the cars available in the upper ranking are available with standard or optional UHP tires). In my opinion, the 991 Turbo S test result is quite impressive.

--

I did mention the standard PZero for the 911, but forgot to add corsa and sp600 for mp4 and gtr

Performance of the MP12C is much better than 991 here...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760639 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434352 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259998 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257136 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871252 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806417 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM