Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 spyshots thread (continued) (for UNRELEASED models only) Thread Closed

reginos:

The intake will be oval, similar to 981.

I like the new shape louvres on the engine lid.

The 991 GT3 is not as good looking as the 997 (1 and 2) GT3. But the new Turbo (judging from the pictures) will be an improvement on the 997 Turbo.

Still, the best looking 911 is the plain, pure and unadorned Carrera, (no wings, protrusions and orifices) like in all previous 911 Generations.

One hundred percent agree; the flowing curves and solid lines of a 911 Carrera are best without any add-ons.

Less truly is more with this car.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

+1

Years ago someone near me used to drive a 996 turbo and they had changed the fixed rear wing for the pop up version off the Carrera.  It looked so much better IMO.  But I wonder what it was like at 150mph+

--

Gen II Cayman S

rulesdontapply:
    reginos:

The intake will be oval, similar to 981.

I like the new shape louvres on the engine lid.

The 991 GT3 is not as good looking as the 997 (1 and 2) GT3. But the new Turbo (judging from the pictures) will be an improvement on the 997 Turbo.

Still, the best looking 911 is the plain, pure and unadorned Carrera, (no wings, protrusions and orifices) like in all previous 911 Generations.

One hundred percent agree; the flowing curves and solid lines of a 911 Carrera are best without any add-ons.

rulesdontapply

Agree 100 % too. Especially with the thin rear lights of the 991 generation, which makes the addition of the rear wing worse than on the 997 generation with its broader lights.  The 991 GT3 is a magnificent automobile, although not as good looking as the 997 GT3 as Reginos pointed out, but the gigantic rear wing looks a bit silly. Also the designers applied the same 997 GT3 design themes to the radically refined and modernised basic 991 design and that makes the design departure of 991 GT3 vs. 997 GT3 less great than that of 991 Carrera / Carrera S vs 997 Carrera / Carrera S.  All of this IMHO of course.

I thought it would look better, maybe it will in person

+1

Thanks sportscargroup, that is exactly what i thought when i saw the picture.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Joost:

Thanks sportscargroup, that is exactly what i thought when i saw the picture.

wink

--

I do think that is has one horizontal pane in the inlet thogh, to keep the design in line with the side outlets in the rear bumper.

--

9 Things You Should Know About the New Porsche 911 Turbo (Road & track)

1.  It has active aero. A rubber tube similar to a bicycle tire runs along the underside of the front spoiler. In Sport Plus mode, it fills with air, extending downward as a spoiler to swap the 911’s inherent front-end lift for slight downforce. Top speed is limited to 196 mph on the Turbo S because it’s all the tires can handle—otherwise the new rocket would be capable of 207.

2. The optional ceramic brake discs measure 16.1 inches in front, 15.4 in the rear. In other words, they're enormous.

3.  In the past, Turbo models used the Carrera 4’s wide body. This time, the Turbo is even wider. C4 models are 1.7 inches wider than the base 911; add another 1.1 inches for the Turbo!

4. Angry mobs, grab your pitchforks. There's no more manual—PDK is the only transmission now. The center differential is now a computer-controlled, water-cooled Haldex unit that can send 13 percent more power up front.

5. Additional boost (up to 17.4 psi) and additional revs (up to 7200) means additional power: the Turbo makes 520 hp and 479 lb-ft. The Turbo S makes 560 hp and 516 lb-ft. Each motor gets an overboost function, producing another 37 lb-ft for up to ten seconds.

6. Like the GT3, the 911 Turbo uses rear active steering for more maneuverability at low speeds and more stability at high speeds.

7.  The Turbo’s roof can be painted, made of glass, or made of carbon fiber, a la the GT3 Cup car.

8.  Not that anyone cares, but the Turbo uses some 13% less fuel than the last one. Partial thanks go to the virtual-gear programming in the PDK that uses clutch slippage to “fake” an appropriate gear ratio. It aims to keeps revs near 1000 rpm under low-speed, low-load conditions. Start/stop is standard, and now turns the engine off under 4 mph.

9.  The last Turbo and Turbo S flew around the Nürburgring in 7:39 and 7:37, respectively. The new car does it in under 7:30, meaning it could match the Carrera GT’s 7:25. Look for a 0-60 time of around 3 seconds flat.

Link: http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/future-cars/news-9-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-2014-porsche-911-turbo

Thanks - very interesting. Confirms some previous post about the S being available at launch. From the last set of photos it looks like it has lost the hideous front fog lamps from the 997 which is great news. its going to be tempting Smiley.

pxaxh:

9 Things You Should Know About the New Porsche 911 Turbo (Road & track)

1.  It has active aero. A rubber tube similar to a bicycle tire runs along the underside of the front spoiler. In Sport Plus mode, it fills with air, extending downward as a spoiler to swap the 911’s inherent front-end lift for slight downforce. Top speed is limited to 196 mph on the Turbo S because it’s all the tires can handle—otherwise the new rocket would be capable of 207.

2. The optional ceramic brake discs measure 16.1 inches in front, 15.4 in the rear. In other words, they're enormous.

3.  In the past, Turbo models used the Carrera 4’s wide body. This time, the Turbo is even wider. C4 models are 1.7 inches wider than the base 911; add another 1.1 inches for the Turbo!

4. Angry mobs, grab your pitchforks. There's no more manual—PDK is the only transmission now. The center differential is now a computer-controlled, water-cooled Haldex unit that can send 13 percent more power up front.

5. Additional boost (up to 17.4 psi) and additional revs (up to 7200) means additional power: the Turbo makes 520 hp and 479 lb-ft. The Turbo S makes 560 hp and 516 lb-ft. Each motor gets an overboost function, producing another 37 lb-ft for up to ten seconds.

6. Like the GT3, the 911 Turbo uses rear active steering for more maneuverability at low speeds and more stability at high speeds.

7.  The Turbo’s roof can be painted, made of glass, or made of carbon fiber, a la the GT3 Cup car.

8.  Not that anyone cares, but the Turbo uses some 13% less fuel than the last one. Partial thanks go to the virtual-gear programming in the PDK that uses clutch slippage to “fake” an appropriate gear ratio. It aims to keeps revs near 1000 rpm under low-speed, low-load conditions. Start/stop is standard, and now turns the engine off under 4 mph.

9.  The last Turbo and Turbo S flew around the Nürburgring in 7:39 and 7:37, respectively. The new car does it in under 7:30, meaning it could match the Carrera GT’s 7:25. Look for a 0-60 time of around 3 seconds flat.

Link: http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/future-cars/news-9-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-2014-porsche-911-turbo

thanks, very interesting!!

However, the torque is the same as previous models has - 518 lb-ft was the fugire for 997.2 turbo s... 

or will it be higher due to higher psi?

997,2 Turbo S has 700Nm torque and new 991 Turbo S has 700Nm/750Nm with overboost.

hard to see the above referenced additional width over the " wide body " C4 models , if true, in these pics .

KresoF1:

997,2 Turbo S has 700Nm torque and new 991 Turbo S has 700Nm/750Nm with overboost.

Interesting!

Any major updates/upgrades done to the pdk to withstand higher torque ? 800 ~ 950Nm ?

BiTurbo:
    KresoF1:

Interesting!

Any major updates/upgrades done to the pdk to withstand higher torque ? 800 ~ 950Nm ?

I see where you are going but there is so much electronics involved with the new 991 Turbo/S that tuning is getting pretty pretty difficult...if someone wants to do it right. Everything is connected now...electronically and any mess-up can have serious consequences.

Latest 0-100 kph number is below 3 seconds for the 991 Turbo S, this car is going to be quite impressive. Also finally, Porsche decided to widen the power gap between the regular Turbo and the Turbo S.

Yes, top speed will be somehow limited (I actually heard about 320 kph for the Turbo S, not 315) but PDK gear ratio will be pretty short (with the exception of the last gear according to rumors), so the car will have a fantastic 0-100 kph and probably 0-200 kph performance. Turbo S is set at under 10 seconds flat from 0-200 kph as far as I heard but real life performance should be around 9.5 seconds if rumors are true.

Again...rumors but sooner or later, we will have more details.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    BiTurbo:
    KresoF1:

Interesting!

I see where you are going but there is so much electronics involved with the new 991 Turbo/S that tuning is getting pretty pretty difficult...if someone wants to do it right. Everything is connected now...electronically and any mess-up can have serious consequences.

Latest 0-100 kph number is below 3 seconds for the 991 Turbo S, this car is going to be quite impressive. Also finally, Porsche decided to widen the power gap between the regular Turbo and the Turbo S.

Yes, top speed will be somehow limited (I actually heard about 320 kph for the Turbo S, not 315) but PDK gear ratio will be pretty short (with the exception of the last gear according to rumors), so the car will have a fantastic 0-100 kph and probably 0-200 kph performance. Turbo S is set at under 10 seconds flat from 0-200 kph as far as I heard but real life performance should be around 9.5 seconds if rumors are true.

320 kph is fine with me, but it wouldn't hurt to have access to 800Nm+ in a 911 with advanced awd system and pdk smiley it could replace my GTS in the next 3 years, if it can handle another 100Nm+  Smiley otherwise I have to wait for the upcoming Cayenne with PDK?  + Turbo Smiley

AFAIK upper limit is around 820Nm for new PDK.
    But as Christian accurately point out new 991 Turbo/Turbo S will be very difficult car for tuning.
    I even saw some pics of exterior and interior-IMHO new car looks great. Only thing that I do not like are wheels. Thisultispole and spider design do not belong on a sportscar. Of course, IMO.

KresoF1:
    AFAIK upper limit is around 820Nm for new PDK.
    But as Christian accurately point out new 991 Turbo/Turbo S will be very difficult car for tuning.
    I even saw some pics of exterior and interior-IMHO new car looks great. Only thing that I do not like are wheels. Thisultispole and spider design do not belong on a sportscar. Of course, IMO.

The simpliesr tuning will include stage 1 - when 750 nm will become permanent, and stage 2 - the car will be decatted for free flow and torque will increase up to like 780-800 nm just giving more psi throughout the range (the turboes always have some power reserve, and test cars are always run with higher power than stock ones). It is non-harmful but will help to improve performance up to 10% in acceleration:) it's my exoecations basing on tunung kits for 997.2 turbo. 

And the last thing: nobody will develop tuning software from scratch. For 997.2 turbo we hade more or less official tuning software from some guys from Porsche:) when the car is tested, different software tunes are tried with higher power, and after the car goes to the market , those software tunes with higher power from Porsche insiders get to the market also (I think they don't lie as they are usually former Porsche sport engine engineers). I saw such tunes for 997.2 turbo/turbo s - the car managed to do 0-100 for 2.8 secs, 0-200 for 9.6 secs with claimed 560 hp...

RC:
    BiTurbo:
    KresoF1:

Interesting!

If 991 turbo s manages to run from 0-200 for 9.5 secs it will be very-very fast! it will be competitive to all major supercars competitors. the question is how will accelerate 991 turbo s from 200-300.

RC:
    BiTurbo:
    KresoF1:

Interesting!

Christian,

Sooner or later means 20th of May:)?

SportCarGroup:

img_48490.jpg

Kreso, can you comment on this photoshopic removal of the camo? Does it look accurate to you?

--

Joost:
    SportCarGroup:

img_48490.jpg

Kreso, can you comment on this photoshopic removal of the camo? Does it look accurate to you?

The rear is very near the original. The side air intake is far away from what we will see.

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

Aldo wrote all that is needed to know. Back is almost 100% the same as on press pics. Intake is totally wrong on that PS pic. Hint-look at new Cayman intake for an idea how it will look.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
    I think I have a rudimentary idea of what you mean now.

--

Joost:

Thanks for the feedback guys!
    I think I have a rudimentary idea of what you mean now.

Pls have a look at the spy pics of 991 turbo - some of them are with almos open zone of air intake. It indeed looks in another way that on this PS pic. I think that intorduction of new turbo is very close

Another rumour I heard today was the launch version will be the Turbo S and the normal Turbo will follow afterwards.

Porsche 997 Turbo and 997 Turbo S no longer listed on model page...

Porsche-home-page.jpg

...so that 991 Turbo should be on the way soon... Smiley

Porsche 991 Turbo + 991 GT3 on the Nurburgring -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Porsche 997 Turbo and 997 Turbo S no longer listed on model page...

Porsche-home-page.jpg

...so that 991 Turbo should be on the way soon... Smiley

Porsche 991 Turbo + 991 GT3 on the Nurburgring -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

It's not in the list long time already....

--

Maybe this image it's close to the final product (is it a render? press pic?). Anyway it looks fine, too soft though, i miss a bit of aggressiveness in the front.

(Viewed on teamspeed, user La Artist).

I think it's a press pic...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782306 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442955 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263533 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261996 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86054 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6044 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881742 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    820046 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM