Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

4trac:

Now that P1 and LaF are out, would be interesting to compare how many development km each car has had, compared with the 918.  Based on time, and no. of cars running around, my guess is the 918 has 10x the development time.  

+1.  Very good point > We have seen pictures of the 918 in hot and cold geographies in europe and us and south africa too (if I remember correctly). This says a lot about the depth of product development and testing . 

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

ALDO:
    Futch:
    ALDO:

I mean 2013.

But you have to know how a production starts - there are zero-series cars first. I don´t know how many zero-series car will be produced, this cars will not be sold. First of all Porsche din´t sell all 918 yet. Their initial plan was to start with the production after all cars are sold. I don´t know when the first customer car will be produced.

First production date is 9/18. First deliveries are January 2014. 

Nope! They will start earlier with customer cars. The production line has a very small capacity. They will start before summer vacation. 9/18 doesn´t mean anything here in Germany. WHy would someone leave production lines inactive? That would be to expensive. Porsche isn´t anymore for myths they will earn as much as possible.

Wanna Bet?Smiley

m4ever:
    4trac:

Now that P1 and LaF are out, would be interesting to compare how many development km each car has had, compared with the 918.  Based on time, and no. of cars running around, my guess is the 918 has 10x the development time.  

+1.  Very good point > We have seen pictures of the 918 in hot and cold geographies in europe and us and south africa too (if I remember correctly). This says a lot about the depth of product development and testing . 

Ot something else! Don´t wear your P-googles everyday.

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

ALDO:
    m4ever:
    4trac:

For sure the 918 has done much much more testing. That said re their older sisters, the enzo is not known for being unreliable and personally, I've had some electronic issues with my GT as well as two failures of the starter motor. 

The 918 will be porsche's most complexed model ever and they can't afford to get it wrong. Three engines working together at all time, the heat management, etc etc. exciting but also a bit scary. 

Futch:
    ALDO:
    m4ever:
    4trac:

For sure the 918 has done much much more testing. That said re their older sisters, the enzo is not known for being unreliable and personally, I've had some electronic issues with my GT as well as two failures of the starter motor. 

The 918 will be porsche's most complexed model ever and they can't afford to get it wrong. Three engines working together at all time, the heat management, etc etc. exciting but also a bit scary. 

I agree completely, and that was the point I was making - that Porsche are attempting a much larger technical feat IMO, and need this thorough testing.  But, this is also the risk, if there are some teething issues with first customer cars, it could tarnish the 918 reputation, and (your point here) possibly long term value.  Re. Problems with your CGT, I expect few other owners have used their CGT starter motors enough to cause them to fail...indecision

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Middle East presentation:

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg136326506911314.jpg136326506908810.jpg136326506909411.jpg136326506909912.jpg136326506910913.jpg5.jpg13632650690576.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

--

577981_10152640206585571_814542114_n.png

--

I was reading a comparison in "Autocar" between the LaFerrari, the P1 and the 918.

Apparently, the 918 is extremely heavy in this company. According to Wolfgang Hatz it will be between 1600 and 1700kg mainly because it is carrying 300kg of batteries.

The Ferrari doesn't have an E-mode but the P1 and the 918 can move on electric power alone. However, what is the point of Porsche having more electric power autonomy at the expense of weight ? According to Hatz the 918 can move for 25km and do 160km/h on electric power. I don't think this is of much interest to the type of buyers for such cars. Would someone who can afford a hypercar, care about electric autonomy if this came at the expense of performance?

The Porsche is cheaper than the P1 but are its hefty weight and inferior performance to be excused by someone spending 800.000 EUR?

I hope Porsche hadn't got it wrong in the face of competitors' superior specs and (on paper, so far) performance.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I was reading a comparison in "Autocar" between the LaFerrari, the P1 and the 918.

Apparently, the 918 is extremely heavy in this company. According to Wolfgang Hatz it will be between 1600 and 1700kg mainly because it is carrying 300kg of batteries.

The Ferrari doesn't have an E-mode but the P1 and the 918 can move on electric power alone. However, what is the point of Porsche having more electric power autonomy at the expense of weight ? According to Hatz the 918 can move for 25km and do 160km/h on electric power. I don't think this is of much interest to the type of buyers for such cars. Would someone who can afford a hypercar, care about electric autonomy if this came at the expense of performance?

The Porsche is cheaper than the P1 but are its hefty weight and inferior performance to be excused by someone spending 800.000 EUR?

I hope Porsche hadn't got it wrong in the face of competitors' superior specs and (on paper, so far) performance.

--

"Form follows function"

According to last info, it was also posted there - the weight will be less than 1600kg. Power - at this moment 850 hp combined, but from last words I think we should expect 918hp... Of course, nobody can be sure about these figures.

--

sportcars-history.com

This is what W. Hatz said (according to the Autocar).

hatz.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

A comparison and LdiM's point of view.

1363270968606918 001.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

What the ?!?! new P cars will be coming with tune-in radio ? no crying

http://tunein.com/get-tunein/

New La Ferrari will come with ipad mini, so whats a problem?Smiley

--

sportcars-history.com

Damn, the Porsche looks so much cleaner and it will be the more global offering. Just look at the CO2 emissions. The 918 is 3 times cleaner than the P1 and 5 times cleaner than the F70. That is impressive. If Porsche engineers can make it equally fast using technology etc they will have a complete winner because it will be able to do so much more than the competition.. also I think personally it looks by far the best!!

At the end of the day, I may not yet be convinced by all the hybrid tech and that 300kg extra weight, but Porsche is German and it was to be excepted. I applaud their initiative with working with performance hybrids as this has to be the future for all supercars.. The Ferrari bloke above mentioned it too, it is the only reason the F70 is starting to play around with a hybrid system too.

I would love a simple and sick fast 918 with traditional race engine, but I think this will by far surpass everything. Porsche tested this car like no other, so the product will work. Furthermore, I think the Porsche has learned a lot from the CGT and ensured that their new halo car isn't a widow maker and more of a total daily driver.. Porsche's have always been the most usable of all sports cars in terms of driving, reliability etc.. so their experience with the CGT and the sometimes harsh criticism had a deeper impact.

Anyways, the 918 is a true halo supercar with amazing looks and technically very advanced like the 959 was. It means the future of Porsche is seen in this car and of course by now everyone knows.. just look at the new GT3. I for one like this new direction, I think it is necessary to survive.

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather (Canada)
    1991 BMW 318i Brilliantrot/Black Leather (Germany)

Ex: '89 525i, '74 280E, '87 325is, '86 325e, '05 FF, '85.5 944

Atzporsche:

Damn, the Porsche looks so much cleaner and it will be the more global offering. Just look at the CO2 emissions. The 918 is 3 times cleaner than the P1 and 5 times cleaner than the F70. That is impressive. If Porsche engineers can make it equally fast using technology etc they will have a complete winner because it will be able to do so much more than the competition.. also I think personally it looks by far the best!!

At the end of the day, I may not yet be convinced by all the hybrid tech and that 300kg extra weight, but Porsche is German and it was to be excepted. I applaud their initiative with working with performance hybrids as this has to be the future for all supercars.. The Ferrari bloke above mentioned it too, it is the only reason the F70 is starting to play around with a hybrid system too.

I would love a simple and sick fast 918 with traditional race engine, but I think this will by far surpass everything. Porsche tested this car like no other, so the product will work. Furthermore, I think the Porsche has learned a lot from the CGT and ensured that their new halo car isn't a widow maker and more of a total daily driver.. Porsche's have always been the most usable of all sports cars in terms of driving, reliability etc.. so their experience with the CGT and the sometimes harsh criticism had a deeper impact.

Anyways, the 918 is a true halo supercar with amazing looks and technically very advanced like the 959 was. It means the future of Porsche is seen in this car and of course by now everyone knows.. just look at the new GT3. I for one like this new direction, I think it is necessary to survive.

+100500

This car is by far more complex than competition, got more testing and etc. Also, the only one that has a real bespoke engine. Laferrari uses 10 year old block from enzo and P1 block from MP4-12c that was derived from Nissan VRH35

But the most impressive thing is 3litres per 100km. I understand, fuel consumption is not the most important thing in halo cars, but anyway, it is amazing. And this is the car that will go around Nurburgring in 7 mins or even less. Unbelievable!

PS 918 engine weights only 130 kg compared to mclarens 199kg... Its interesting, what materials do porsche use for their engine.Smiley

--

sportcars-history.com

Exactly, imagine a 918 ClubSport with fixed roof and simply RS Spyder engine... 1200kg and 800hp angel

--

Atzporsche:

Exactly, imagine a 918 ClubSport with fixed roof and simply RS Spyder engine... 1200kg and 800hp angel

Not sure that we can expect 800 hp from 3.4 (RS Spyder) or 4.6 (918) engine without electric motors, but even with 650 hp it will be amazing. Or it could be 800 hp or more using supercapacitors or flywheel. Thats quite real but very very expensive. 

Really in some terms I see 917 in 918. First 917 had 4.5l engine 570hp - very close numbers between first 917 and first specs from 918))) RSR concept had a cooling fan as on 60-70 porsche protos. Really I would like to see something like 918/30Smiley

--

sportcars-history.com

That's what a 960 should be instead of a Panamera Coupe. 

Jean:

I think (dream) of the Panamera Coupe more as a 928 GTS. Ie. fastest production car in its' time Smiley

--

This car is by far more complex than competition, got more testing and etc. Also, the only one that has a real bespoke engine. Laferrari uses 10 year old block from enzo and P1 block from MP4-12c that was derived from Nissan VRH35

While the porsche is the only one with a bespoke engine, the LaFerrari engine is not the same block as Enzos, it's the new block used in FF and F12.. in anywhay it's the only production engine in the world with over 6l that spins at over 9000RPM

mojeIme:

While the porsche is the only one with a bespoke engine, the LaFerrari engine is not the same block as Enzos, it's the new block used in FF and F12.. in anywhay it's the only production engine in the world with over 6l that spins at over 9000RPM

So they use engines from fellow models.

--

sportcars-history.com

Atzporsche:
    Jean:

I think (dream) of the Panamera Coupe more as a 928 GTS. Ie. fastest production car in its' time Smiley

As a boy, I used to have a poster of 928.  It was my dream car.

A Panamera Coupe would be a worthy successor.

However, I would like to see from Porsche, a lighter weight, no-nonsense midship sports car as a FeFi, not a heavy 4WD front-engined coupe.

As I mentioned in the other thread, a revival of GT1 with GT2/GT3 & 918 parts at around the half the cost of 918 will sell like hotcakes. 

Indeed, would love another 911 based GT1, that car is so cool kiss

The 993 looked like a 991 front

--

Stupid question: Why doesn't Porsche offer a 918 clubsport version without the batteries (no e-mode) and without the electronic gimmicks like touch screen, etc.? This car should weight 1400 kg at max and still have the same power.

They could even charge 100k more for it... 

Oh wait: Does somebody have the feeling that something like that is actually possible? 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

Stupid question: Why doesn't Porsche offer a 918 clubsport version without the batteries (no e-mode) and without the electronic gimmicks like touch screen, etc.? This car should weight 1400 kg at max and still have the same power.

Oh wait: Does somebody have the feeling that something like that is actually possible? 

Because I have the feeling that the trick is in the batteries - I mean the extraordinary speed in the corner, or...?

RC:

Somehow, the recent news on the 918 is no big surprise... It was quite obvious from the start that the concept was focused on political correctness and "ecological" aspects - not 100% on performance. The problem is that you cannot sell such a car with such an enormous weight in a situation where competitors offer much more attractive and faster cars Smiley The press reviewers who praise the low fuel consumption don't pay 800k for a sportscar. You need to convince enthusiasts to spend the money. And you can only do this with performance arguments. You need to offer a competitive car - not a car which will be much slower than a P1 or LaFerrari Smiley

MKSGR:

Somehow, the recent news on the 918 is no big surprise... It was quite obvious from the start that the concept was focused on political correctness and "ecological" aspects - not 100% on performance. The problem is that you cannot sell such a car with such an enormous weight in a situation where competitors offer much more attractive and faster cars Smiley The press reviewers who praise the low fuel consumption don't pay 800k for a sportscar. You need to convince enthusiasts to spend the money. And you can only do this with performance arguments. You need to offer a competitive car - not a car which will be much slower than a P1 or LaFerrari Smiley

I still don't understand this whole political correctness and the ecological aspects but you are right, those who can afford these cars are annoyed by the limitations due to the "ecological" aspects and those who cannot afford the car and surely will never consider buying one, actually praise how much ecological spirit Porsche shows. Smiley

This is why Porsche should offer the 918 with e-mode and a clubsport version without the batteries/e-mode at the same price. May the customers choose from both, this would surely help them a lot with potential customers.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

+1 kiss

RC:

Because if you take away the hybrid-engine, this car will be reduced to a V8-sportscar with "only" 570 hp. What would Porsche charge for it, 500k? I'd rather buy a 458, the forthcoming Scuderia or a MP4-12C for half the money. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690002 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409472 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255852 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235082 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65591 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858217 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774348 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM