Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Cayman (2012)

Some fresh official pic's.

Enjoy wink

P12_0474.jpgP12_0473.jpgP12_0476.jpgP12_0475.jpgP12_0477.jpg

--

P12_0483.jpgP12_0478.jpgP12_0479.jpgP12_0480.jpgP12_0482.jpg

--

P12_0521.jpgP12_0522.jpgP12_0519.jpgP12_0520.jpgP12_0523.jpg

--

P12_0524.jpgP12_0525.jpgP12_0526.jpgP12_0527.jpg

--

This car looks so good kiss Looking forward to the local presentation.

--

997 GT3 3.8

if they offered a glass roof (tilting only would be fine) on the Cayman 981, I would be all over it like a rash

sfo:

if they offered a glass roof (tilting only would be fine) on the Cayman 981, I would be all over it like a rash

Tell it like it is! This is the only thing holding me back from getting one.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

I've arranged a testdrive with a Cayman S, after being so impressed by a drive in a basic Boxster last week-end it can only further fulfill my expectations I'm guessing, it felt like such a quality item compared to the BMW's I've grown used to. It showed supreme balance as well, it was a real surprise for me that a basic Boxster could provide as much joy as it did.

http://pistonheads.co.uk/roadtests/doc.asp?c=105&i=27122

I would like to know driving comparaison between a Boxster S and A Cayman S...

"if they offered a glass roof (tilting only would be fine) on the Cayman 981, I would be all over it like a rash"

P-L-E-A-S-E!

It's a 

S-P-O-R-T-S 

car!

Poker - I look forward to hearing about your test drive.  I am particularly interested wether or not the cayman is still feels like you are inside of a kettle drum.  I drove a boxster for years, loved it...wanted to replace it with a cayman, the "boomy" sound drove me nuts.  The 911 being a bit bigger(?) did not have that issue but I wasn't ready to go that far.

I've had 2x Boxster S over the last few years, and spent a day on track in a Cayman R - liked it a lot.  Definitely a lot quieter and more solid feeling.. Would be great for those not-quite-as-sunny days indecision

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

"Porsche Cayman S" -- Chris Harris On Cars

Chris Harris reports back from the Cayman launch and, yes, it is rather good...

The new Cayman's bodyshell is almost exactly twice as rigid as the new Boxster's - something to digest before committing pinkies to keyboard to ask "why wouldn't you just have a Boxster?"

Either Cayman will prove beguiling to drive...

If cars are defined by their raw ingredients, then the Cayman hamburger begins life as a slab of perfectly aged, extravagantly marbled Aberdeen Angus, whereas the Boxster pattie, although definitely not containing traces of Dobbin, is more your processed mince. It has to be. It is missing a crucial stressed body panel called a 'roof'.

There are differences between both bodies-in-white: the Boxster needs a thicker gauge of metal along the door beams and the floor and also for the crucial rocker panel that locates the steering column.

Starting with a completely new, very stiff, aluminium and steel body immediately sets the Cayman on a different path to the Boxster. "There is less compromise; more scope to reach even higher levels of performance" says project leader Hans-Jurgen Stadler.

Cayman is almost twice as rigid as Boxster...

Room for improvement?

Building a better mid-engined sports car than the last Cayman isn't an easy task. From the moment it arrived back in 2004 it was the undisputed leader of the class. And also the subject of raw admiration from automotive engineers not working at Porsche. Over the years several admitted to me that they wouldn't want to try and better the Cayman because it would be horribly difficult.

The single caveat concerns the styling - the last one was distinctive and not unattractive but wasn't something people went wobbly over. But this new 981 version has to be the best looking Porsche since the Carrera GT. Reducing the rake of the rear screen and pulling its base further back to towards that Boxster-styled bottom has done wonders. It also makes for a bigger boot, which is handy.

Essential stats run thus: a 40 per cent increase in rigidity, anything up to 30kg weight reduction depending on the model and, like the Boxster, a whopping 60mm added to the wheelbase. It is 33mm longer than before and 10mm lower - 11mm if you take the S model, which handily enough is the one I drove.

All the trimmings

Sadly it was a PDK with a good deal of other options that no doubt inflated the price into Veyron territory, but we can work through all of that guff and give some feedback on the car's essential behaviour and appeal.

The first thing you notice with a car using optional PASM dampers (£971) is how supple the low-speed ride has become, even on optional 20-inch wheels (£1,942). Reduced friction in the new, relocated damper pistons and new valving means better low-speed response. It feels like they've taken spring rate out of the car but in fact the new S runs the same rates as the old R and is stiffer still at the rear with thicker anti-roll bars too. That stiff structure allows the car to support this set-up.

Steering feel simply isn't an issue...

The 20-inch tyres are partly responsible too. Greater air volume means they run lower pressures and, thanks to some very clever sidewall construction, you have a car your eyes tell you should ride like a dump truck, but is actually exceptionally compliant. The Boxster's most controversial feature - its electro-mechanical steering - is here too. The rack and ratio are identical to the roadster's.

As before, the Cayman gets a small power boost over the equivalent Boxster, leaving the base 2.7-litre with 275hp/214lb ft and the 3.4-litre S with 325hp/273lb ft.

Righteous path

Perhaps the only divisive aspect of this car is the steering. I would happily referee any debate over this necessary evil and can see both sides of the argument, while struggling to side with anyone who found fault with anything else. This is an irritatingly talented car, one whose all round excellence is made doubly so by the fact that it has a posture about it which lends it genuine, lustable character.

Detail changes differentiate Cayman from Boxster...

So the steering has very little feel. It vaguely loads and unloads in your palms while the weighting feels far better than in those early 991s. In the last Cayman you had huge trust in that information source clasped between your palms (stop sniggering) but you no longer do so. At first this is a let down. 10 miles later I forgot about it, and never gave it a second thought. A thinner wheel rim would help but apparently marketing types favour girth.

This is the Cayman's supreme confidence trick. It slices through direction changes and follows the course you set it so obediently, and with such charisma from that motor, you just forget the steering lacks something. Partly this is down to the way it behaves in the entry phase to almost every turn: it's just so precise and accurate. Within minutes you're using every inch of the road because you can place the car exactly where you want it. It immediately settles mid-corner with vast grip and then pings out the other side with zero fuss. And yet despite being so damned grippy it's always fun.

Long rear end is best part of new design...

On the subject of extras...

The optional PCCB ceramics are sensational, and probably contributed to the ride comfort of the test car, but at £4,977 so they bloody well should be.

This car was also fitted with the £890 PTV torque vectoring which works really well. It comes with a mechanical locking differential that is quite mild by Porsche standards (22 per cent in drive) and contrives to add both agility through brake trimming, and traction with the locking of the rear axle. With everything switched off it's an absolute riot, with zero intervention from any system whatsoever.

Beyond the Boxster, many people will draw comparisons with the 991, but I have different thoughts to many on that subject. One thing I will say is that as well as having better steering and overall chassis behaviour than its bigger brother, the intake noise in the cabin is of a different quality altogether. The dual air intakes give a stunning flat-six demonstration, although I have to say that with the optional sports exhaust (£1,473) activated in noisy mode, it was actually too boomy for my ears. Am I becoming old and boring? Perhaps, because I thought the rather synthesised overrun popping was a little OTT too.

Interior well-resolved, if a touch uninspiring...

Double tap

The 3.4-litre motor is perfect for this car: torquey enough for the road and, if you must, to sustain some pretty wild slides on the circuit. Throttle response is telepathic in this age of the turbocharger and it just keeps giving all the way to 7,500rpm. Even PDK convinces luddites like myself that a manual isn't the only acceptable solution, the middle of the three settings with the optional Sports Chrono (£1,084) covering all bases. You quickly become accustomed to swishing between turns and snicking gears with a cursory finger-tap and in automatic mode it's a peach too. I would still far rather have the six-speed manual in a car of this type though, given the way that I would use it and feel on safe ground on PH saying so. It even has an automatic blipper, just like the 370Z.

The cabin is pure Boxster, which means high-quality, ergonomically sound, rather lacking in inspiration compared to the exterior and fitted with standard seats which do a far better job than the last Cayman's did. Overall luggage space is marginally better than before.

Standard Cayman loses little visual clout...

But it's the cohesion of the Cayman's many talents that leaves you slightly befuddled - I've tried to define why it is that I now want one so badly and I keep arriving at the same disappointingly shallow answer: the new look takes an improved set of dynamics to a different level of desirability.

I would sympathise with any current Cayman owner who found the new steering disappointing, but would implore them to spend more time with the car and reserve judgement. Otherwise, this is the car that Porsche's rivals probably wished would never exist: one infused with the dynamic precociousness we all come to expect, but now clothed in a way that will make people want one just to look at it.

PORSCHE CAYMAN S

Engine: 3,436cc 6-cyl direct injection
    Transmission: 7-speed dual-clutch auto
    Power (hp): 325@7,400rpm
    Torque (lb ft): 273@4,500-5,800rpm
    0-62mph: 4.9sec
    Top speed: 175mph
    Weight: 1,350kg
    MPG: 35.3 (NEDC combined)
    CO2: 188g/km
    Price: £50,705

"CHRIS HARRIS VIDEO: NEW CAYMAN"

Still not sure about the new Cayman? Let Harris try and convince you...

You've had the first drive written words already, so there's little point in me adding anything more at this point, other than to introduce the video.

The 'baby' Porsche has gone and grown up...

I've trawled through the spec sheet of the 3.4 S model and discovered one irrelevant fact will only be of interest to sad people like me: fitted with a manual 'box the Cayman loses out on all the standing start sprints, but it actually records a higher top speed 177mph, as opposed to the slothful 176 claimed for the PDK car.

The most pressing Cayman question for now seems to be whether to go non-S, or S. I didn't have time to drive the smaller car, but with a specific output of 101.6hp per litre it must be a right screamer. One of those in white with some pretty wheels might just be the perfect Cayman.

Check out the press pack for the full geekery.

And enjoy the vid...

"Chris Harris reviews the new 2013 Porsche Cayman S..."

Porsche Cayman S -- CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS -- Drive Video Link

Porsche Cayman S -- CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS -- PistonHeads Road Test

Porsche Cayman S -- CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS -- PistonHeads Article Link

...thanks again and all due credit and respect to Chris Harris!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porker:

I've arranged a testdrive with a Cayman S, after being so impressed by a drive in a basic Boxster last week-end it can only further fulfill my expectations

Very interested how the Cayman S compares to your modified CSL. Smiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Check out the press pack for the full geekery.

And enjoy the vid...

Thanks mate,

was about to post the same video. Great one! Smiley

First performance numbers by German AMS: Cayman S PDK tested at cold weather (1 Degrees C)
    0-40 kph: 1,5 s
    0-100 kph: 4,6 s
    0-160 kph: 10,3 s
    0-200 kph: 16,8 s

Final rating: 5/5 stars

Can't really put my finger on it, but they've done something to these two zones of the car that make it look so much more mature and desirable than the previous model... I even think it looks better than the Boxster now... angry

1361535099011Image1.jpg

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

SciFrog:

I would like to know driving comparaison between a Boxster S and A Cayman S...

This intrigued me too so I just tested the Boxster today.  Will be having a go in the Cayman in about 3 weeks.   The trouble is there are so many chassis/wheel permutations like for like comparisons are difficult.  But I saw a few of the press cars over the fence and they looked fabulous. 

--

Gen II Cayman S

Ferdie:
    Porker:

I've arranged a testdrive with a Cayman S, after being so impressed by a drive in a basic Boxster last week-end it can only further fulfill my expectations

Very interested how the Cayman S compares to your modified CSL. Smiley

So am I! I'm quite sure it will be far superiour in terms of comfort and useability, but I'll be curious to find out if it can deliver the same outright driving thrills as well. I'll make sure to write down a comparison between both.

Porker:

So am I! I'm quite sure it will be far superiour in terms of comfort and useability

The car I drove today had 20" wheels and standard suspension and whilst it was cold (just above freezing), I didn't expect the back end to be bouncing around as much as it did. Traction was terrible, the ride brittle and body control poor.  My 987  was more comfortable and more composed but that could be beacuase I have PASM and 18"

--

Gen II Cayman S

GR:
    Porker:

So am I! I'm quite sure it will be far superiour in terms of comfort and useability

The car I drove today had 20" wheels and standard suspension and whilst it was cold (just above freezing), I didn't expect the back end to be bouncing around as much as it did. Traction was terrible, the ride brittle and body control poor.  My 987  was more comfortable and more composed but that could be beacuase I have PASM and 18"

In the words of the Porsche driving consultants at Silverstone "always specify PASM if it isn't standard". Dead right, as we know to our own very expensive mistake with our 987 Cayman S. Surprised at your findings GR,as the 981 is supposed to have a much more compliant ride than the 987. Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

dreamcar:
    Surprised at your findings GR,as the 981 is supposed to have a much more compliant ride than the 987. Smiley

I'm sure temperature had a big part to play but the result was that the ride was definitely a fraction worse than the 991 I drove back in September with -20mm SPASM.  As the Boxster didn't have the body control of that car, it may have made the driving experience seem worse than it really was.  Smiley

Anyway, I'm sure the Cayman demonstrators  will be fitted with every conceivable upgrade

--

Gen II Cayman S

Something from CAR magazine, below.

I would add that if someone cannot stretch to a used 991, getting a good 997.2 S or GTS, is a better option than a 981C.

cayman 001.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

A friend visited the press event and drove the new Cayman. He owned several 911 (now 991s and an old 911 for the early 70ties, before different 997 incl. turbo) und uses his car for about 30-40.000km every year.

Saturday he visited his local Porsche dealer and ordered the Cayman. He told me that he never had more fun in a Porsche than with the Cayman. He told me that the 911 is faster on the Autobahn (of course) but for him the overall experience is much better, more fun. He loves to spend the weekend driving in the Alps, he says that the Cayman should be the perfect car for this.

It was the first time he drove a mid-engined Porsche and immediately felt in love.

The M-E Porsche is easier to drive fast than the 911, especially during turn-in and this gives a sense of security which pleases drivers. It has a very natural handling balance at first.

The 911 is more of a challenge with a steeper learning curve but IMO more rewarding and ultimately faster. Moreover, the Boxster/Cayman are not so stable near the limit and in the wet and unpredictable. The twitchiness mentioned in the article is true. I owned a 986S for 9 years and I still own a 987.1 Boxster (which I don't drive often but I allow others to borrow) and a 997.2. For my liking the 911 is the superior driver's car in all respects. But for others the opposite is true. As long as people like something from Porsche, I have no objection indecision

--

"Form follows function"

Wow! It's superb, well done porsche, I am really bought on this one.

I had a 997 GTS on my list, now i MUST try this!

--
    996C4, Artic silver (current) 997C2S, Seal/black, -20mm LSD, PSE (gone) 986S, Arctic Silver (gone)

2013 Porsche Cayman S review by Evo magazine...

-- Article by Richard Meaden

The all-new, second-generation Porsche Cayman. We’ve all seen the pre-launch press images, but until you stand next to one and appreciate the stance, proportion, detailing and all-round rightness of the design it’s hard to credit just how desirable it really is. The most powerful model (for now), the Cayman S, costs £48,783.

Technical highlights?

Extensive use of aluminium in the Cayman’s body structure means a 40 per cent increase in torsional rigidity and a decrease in kerbweight of up to 30kg, the Cayman S down to 1310kg. Engine outputs are increased, but not dramatically (up 10bhp to 271bhp in the downsized 2.7-litre Cayman and 5bhp to 321bhp in the 3.4-litre Cayman S) although both motors have more generous power curves, so they produce more power than the old engines across the rev range.

Of course being a modern high performance car these increases come despite a reduction in fuel consumption and emissions of up to 15 per cent. The Cayman S equipped with a PDK twin-clutch gearbox enjoys a CO2 rating of just 188g/km. Not bad for a 174mph sports car.

What’s it like to drive?

It’s extremely comfortable and easy to drive, with great visibility, short overhangs and a compact footprint. If you’re much over 6ft tall you’ll also be pleased to hear the new generation platform’s 60mm increase in wheelbase creates a more spacious interior than the outgoing model.

As we wind our way up into the hills the true brilliance of this car starts to shine. Both front and rear track are wider (40mm and 12mm respectively) but the overall width remains the same. Together with the longer wheelbase it ensures the Cayman feels planted to the road, thanks to brilliant lateral and longitudinal stability and an agility enhancing 46:54 weight distribution front-to-rear. Like the Boxster it has electric power-assisted steering. Both cars have a more natural feel than the 991, but I’d venture the Cayman is the best of the three. On dry roads you know exactly where you are in terms of available grip, and that confidence remains even when the road is slick with rain.

You can carry extraordinary speed across the ground, slicing through transient curves without fear of any short-tempered mid-engined twitchiness. When fully committed to a fast corner outright grip is huge, but what’s really special is that through medium and slow speed corners there’s still plenty of grip and stability to lean on, yet you can slide the car if you wish, using the Porsche Torque Vectoring and mechanical limited-slip differential to enjoyable effect. Rare is the car that has such poise and natural balance, yet allows you to adjust its attitude so readily and accessibly.

The engine and six-speed manual gearbox are sensational, the former revving its heart out while the latter’s half a dozen perfectly spaced ratios always feel ideally matched to the power and broad torque delivery of the 3.4-litre flat-six. It might be unfashionable to say so, but I’d willingly sacrifice a few tenths of a second of 0-60mph performance (5.0sec plays 4.7 for the PDK, Sport Chrono-equipped car) to have this greater sense of satisfaction. Ultimately, and perhaps for the first time in a Porsche, the choice is now made purely on personal choice, not because one is markedly better than the other. Long may that choice continue to be available.

How does it compare?

The Cayman’s price tag (this test car wound past £60,000 thanks to options) can buy everything from a BMW M3 or Lotus Evora to a lightly used Nissan GT-R, with the new Jaguar F-type and Alfa Romeo 4C set to join the sports car market in 2013 too. That this Cayman feels good enough to challenge Porsche’s more expensive 911 tells you how sensational it is.

Anything else I need to know?

We couldn’t drive one on the launch, but the 2.7-litre base model promises to be an absolute screamer, being the first Cayman to have an engine that exceeds 100bhp-per-litre specific output with an impressive 101.6bhp/litre.

2013 Porsche Cayman S review by Evo magazine -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Just tried a 981 Cayman S with standard suspension and 20".  It was so much better than the Boxster I drove a few weeks ago in every conceivable way.  The ride was firm but complaint enough for daily use and the EPAS is the best I've experienced yet.  However, it still seems dull witted and at a brisk pace it doesn't give you any feel of the steering loading up - I think its rubbish for a sports car.  Its completely at odds with the incredible turn in of the car.

The balance, grip and body control are astonishing but at even high road speeds, you are so far from the limits it is a tad remote feeling (dare I say boring).  And I still think the car feels too big and cumbersome even though it isn't.  The driving consultant suggested that is because of the big increases in track and wheelbase, which makes sense.  I guess you would get used to that over time.  Oddly, the seat didn't go low enough for my liking (it was the fully electric standard shape) and I felt perched on rather than encased in the car.  Its not something I've noticed before but its the first time I've tried a car with these seats.  A problem easily fixed with a different choice I suspect.

For the first time since driving the new generation cars, my 987CS did feel a bit old fashioned in comparison.  But unlike the 981, it does seem to shrink around you as you press on and whilst I am no fan of the variable steering rack, the hydraulic system is just so much nicer.

Overall, I am really impressed with the 981 and I do think that some of my criticisms would disappear with prolonged exposure (i.e. me getting used to the new chassis) but its not quite what I'm looking for in a sports car.  There is a level of engagement missing, especially with the steering.  If they could fix that, I would seriously consider one to replace mine.

--

Gen II Cayman S

2013 Porsche Cayman: "Stuttgart’s Motoring Genius"

(31 March 2013)

Emotion. That is what makes a car special. And Porsche knows how to make a piece of metal evoke enough emotion to make fully grown men weak in their knees. Known for the 911, Porsche only started making entry level cars less than a decade ago. And these were neither taken too seriously nor did they interest the average petrolhead too much. Fast forward to 2013, and things have changed. For the good. We drove the new Boxster and absolutely loved it. So when Porsche Middle East invited us to spend some time driving the 2013 Porsche Cayman on the track as well as the mountain twisties it was hard for us to say no.

First, lets get the boring stuff out of the way. The 2013 Porsche Cayman is built on the same platform as the Boxster with a slight bump in power. In standard trim the engine churns out 275 hp and 290 Nm of Torque. In the S version you get an additional 50 horses taking the total to 325 hp and 370 Nm of Torque. This is an improvement over the outgoing model. And for those of you that have been living under a rock, the outgoing model was a fantastic little car that was a complete hoot to drive. The wheelbase is extended by 2.4 inches and widened by 1.6 inches with shorter overhangs while the 2013 Porsche Cayman is now lighter and is 15 percent more fuel efficient. Good. Now that we’ve got all the numbers out of the way, let me describe to you what it was like thrashing the 2013 Porsche Cayman around a track and carving up the road towards Kalba and back.

At the track we had a chance to experience the different technologies Porsche now offers on the Cayman. First on the list was PTV (Porsche Torque Vectoring) which works like a limited slip differential with the intelligence of Albert Einstein. What this basically does is vary the speed of the inside wheel on a turn along with using selective braking on each of the wheels. The result is greater traction and a reduced risk of understeer by making your steering extremely precise. You can’t tell when it is working, which makes you feel like a driving god. However, step into a car without PTV and you instantly notice the difference. PTV allows you to push the car much closer to its limit increasing your fun quotient exponentially.

Next was the infamous electric steering. Every petrolheads pet peeve, it is soon becoming a standard on most modern cars. Electromechanical steering allows for lighter and much more precise steering as opposed to conventional hydraulic setups. However, they also tend to steal some feedback from the road making it feel a little numb. The 2013 Porsche Cayman comes with power steering plus. Porsche’s version of a speed sensitive steering. A quick autocross sprint made the difference obvious. The electric steering feels light and makes steering at low speeds a lot easier while taking away some of the feel. The standard electromechanical setup on the other hand feels a lot more stiffer at low speeds and requires more effort to drive but is also much more rewarding. Sort of like playing a video game in different difficulty modes. The satisfaction you get out of finishing the game on a tougher level is always greater. Keeping with Porsche tradition, you can spec your car exactly how you want it and that means you can choose to have the power steering plus or not. Porsche insisted that this was a convenience option and not a performance option. Considering most Cayman buyers would be performance oriented, this might not be an option that makes it to the order sheet too often then. Neither of the steerings offer the feedback you would expect from a traditional hydraulic system but nonetheless, they work brilliantly.

Having spent some time caning the Cayman and the Cayman S on the track it was now time to drive the Cayman on public roads, where most Cayman owners would really be driving it. And that meant, a mix of city roads, highways and the famous Kalba twisties. My test car for this journey was a nicely spec’d 2013 Porsche Cayman. That meant it came with adaptive cruise control, a multi function steering wheel, PDK(for lightning fast gear changes), 19” wheels, power ventilated seats, Bose sound system and Porsche Communication Management. A nice and low seating position coupled with a mid-engine setup ensures a low centre of gravity along with excellent front to rear weight balance. While driving around town I just stuck the gear lever in D, letting the car take care of my gear changes. With 7 gears to choose from the car almost always chose the optimum gear to maximise fuel efficiency while offering a comfortable drive. Engaging sport mode made the car a tad bit more responsive while choosing a lower gear and making the drive slightly more involving. Press the Sport+ button and everything changes. You now only get 6 gears, the tone of the exhaust becomes much more aggressive and gear changes are quicker than you can blink accompanied by a beautiful burp out of the exhaust. In Drive, the car chooses the gear, delaying upshifts as much as possible while downshifting at the slightest hint of pressure on the loud pedal. Sport+ mode was best enjoyed in Manual mode giving you full control over the gears. The gears can either be shifted by pushing the gear lever forwards and backwards or can be shifted via the buttons on the multifunction steering wheel. The buttons were counter intuitive, get in the way during quick steering and I personally found it annoying to use. The paddle shifters on the other hand are simple. Left paddle to downshift and right to upshift. It is available as a no-cost option and is definitely the option to go for. Porsche, please get rid of the button shifters altogether and use paddle shifters as standard on all your models.

The Cayman corners like a superstar. Be gentle on the throttle and it behaves like a disciplined factory worker. Get a little naughty with the loud pedal and steering and it is very easy to throw this mid-engined beauty into a graceful dance, sliding out of corners on all 4 wheels while feeling completely in control. Having driven the Cayman as well as the Cayman S, I must admit both the cars are equally fun and the lack of power on the Cayman is only ever noticeable on the straights where the ‘S’ pulled away every single time. Stopping power has been upgraded too with the Cayman now sharing the same brakes as the ones on the big daddy 911.  The suspension setup is tuned to induce the biggest smile possible on tight corners while not completely compromising ride quality. The seating position along with the ride is comfortable enough to be able to live with on a daily basis however this is no GT so expect to get a little twitchy in the seat during longer drives.

On the interior the cockpit is nice and compact with all the controls within easy reach of the driver. Being a strict 2 seater, the extent to which the seats can be adjusted is a little limited. Acrobatic skills aren’t required but plus size individuals might not be the most comfortable in the Cayman cockpit. The leather is of typical Porsche quality that can’t be faltered. Fit and finish is premium as you would expect of any Porsche and the centre console is filled with enough buttons to confuse anyone suffering from ADD instead of a standard rotary controller that most manufacturers have now adopted.  The base 2013 Porsche Cayman costs $52,500 while the S trim starts at $62,000. This however does not mean a thing as with any Porsche, by the time you are done with the options checklist you will be nowhere close to the starting price. Options(new for 2013) include Adaptive cruise control, a premium Burmester sound system and keyless go,

I said it when I drove the Boxster first and since this is built on the same platform it isn’t very different. The 2013 Porsche Cayman, has a lot of technology and electronics that aid you in enhancing your driving experience. However, at no point does it take away from you that mechanical feel. There is an instant connection with the car as soon as you slip into the drivers seat. Add to this, Porsche’s exclusive program which allows you to personalise your car exactly how you want it and that just adds to the experience. From having options like PTV to the colour of the stitching on your dash.

In today’s market, 325 bhp does not sound like a lot. Neither does a 0-100 kph time of 4.9 secs break any records. However, it is the way the 2013 Porsche Cayman gets around the corners, delivering pure aural pleasure with every upshift all the way to its top speed of 280 kph. The way you feel while behind the wheel carving up the beautiful mountain roads, at speeds you could risk losing your license at. Very few cars in todays market are capable of drawing such emotion while packaging an engineering genius in a gorgeous shaped aluminium shell. And that is what makes the 2013 Porsche Cayman a special car...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    810328 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451009 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    268369 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91383 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8185 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

889602 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    844229 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM