Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 spyshots thread (continued) (for UNRELEASED models only) Thread Closed

Only Boxster and Cayenne prices make sense right now...

Cayman? A coupe more expensive than the convertible? That one still makes me laugh.

A Panamera more expensive than a Cayenne at equivalent power outputs? Actually the Cayenne should be more expensive if anything...

The 991? No reason for the price increase except that yes, the 911 was a bit cheap for the package...

Boyko23:

Interesting - so many negative comments, before knowing almost anything about this car? yes

Indeed...Smiley

From what I know new GT3 will be amazing.SmileySmileySmiley

Most of the negativity is about price...

KresoF1:
    Boyko23:

Interesting - so many negative comments, before knowing almost anything about this car? yes

Indeed...Smiley

From what I know new GT3 will be amazing.SmileySmileySmiley

Period. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

from another forum a few minutes ago;

Date: 18 February 2013
    Source: unnamed Rennlister 

Information after discussion with the test driver and engineers and watching/touching the actual car

It sounds incredible. Exactly like a cup car.

Completely different PDK

Engine is a bespoke motorsports block, and the basis for the next gen Cup engine. Dry sump.

Yes, it's not the DFI 9A1 and it's not the Mezger. It's a new engine! 

- RPM to 10K, redline 9 dead, 3.8L engine. Power is north of 450hp but they wouldn't say exactly.

- No PDCC, no PTV *at least not in this car

- New rear wing, very similar to 997.2 wing, but up close it's more refined

- Air scoop is beautiful, center feeding

- Car is running Dunlop Sport MAXX, 245/20 front 305/20 rear 

- Car retains traditional 3 piece muffler, identical side mufflers as before but looks like a new, smaller center. 

- New brake system, front caliper is ENORMOUS, disc is alternating drilled size.

- New recaro seats, foldable (not one piece), car was a Clubsport version fitted with the rear cage

- Ring times are right around 7.30

- Center locks 

- ESC (electronic stability control), TC, sport exhaust, PDK-S (on the center console)

- Wide body chassis from C4

- rear control arms look like the ones in the 997 GT cars

pictures show 9k rpm red line.. Wow

The rest is as we ve seen.

The rear wing actually looks nice.  Better than the ducktail / wing combo.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

SoCal Alan:

The rear wing actually looks nice.  Better than the ducktail / wing combo.

agree. clearly derived from the 7.2 GT3

What immediately grabbed my attention: check - and + regarding to shifting (push/pull).

9000 rpm is fantastic guys!

DuckieRS:

What immediatly grabbed my attention: check - and + regarding to shifting (push/pull).

Whoa! It is done the right way, finally!

Next thing you know they will have the paddle mounted on the columns and will get rid of the stupid stick shift...

Gentlemen, as far as the evolution of the 911 becoming a GTish sport car and therefore not as appealing to Porschephiles I definitely think most on this board are in the minority. The general public could give a rats ass about Ring times, dry sump and Metzger engines. They want a Porsche as a daily driver which provides comfort, performance and fun.

For the hard core, Porsche does provide models to satisfy most. 

The problem is that the general public has a difficulty paying close to $150,000 for a daily impractical sport car. That is why Cayenne and Panamera are doing so well. They are Porsche's but yet practical and as an added bonus can be had for less than $100,000.

Porsche seems to be transitioning from a predominately sport car company to a high end transportation vehicle manufacturer. In doing so they are providing their loyal customer base sport cars but almost as an after thought AND making them pay for it.

I wonder what percentage of profits come from the sport car segment and the SUV and Panamera segment.

--

The Panamera much be a cash cow as are Audi A8 and such...

I hope above photos will stop silly questions abt the wing! wink blush

Thank god for the wing!

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Pics from rennlist are the real thing. Expect press pics leak soon...

Joost:

Thank god for the wing!

+1 Smiley

--

997 GT3 3.8

Is this styling element (recessed area) of the new rear bumper the same that we will see at the Panamera facelift?

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

KresoF1:

Pics from rennlist are the real thing. Expect press pics leak soon...

So my concerns could well be premature... This could still be the best performing 911 in history. 

:)

KresoF1:

Thanks all for your replays.

Do you know what my P source wrote to me in his email? That most of you who are sceptic about 991 range probably want 997.2 GT3 4.0 RS...

Let me tell you few of his remarks:

-engine? 991 GT3 engine is better then any 997/997.2 GT3 engine.  From at least few technical points. You will understand when new GT3 appear in few days...

-gearbox? Why is everybody so hesitant about PDK? Do you really think that Porsche can not build very, very sporty PDK?

-track times? 991 GT3 will be faster then any version of 997/997.2 GT3 on the track. Do not look at "leaks" about Ring times.

-technical gimmicks? Yes, new GT3 will feature some very nice gimmicks that will extend its drive dynamics a lot, both on the road and on the track.

-price? Unfortunately, new 991 GT3 will be more expensive. It will NOT cost 150K € as base price in Germany.

-new 991 GT3 will please about 80% of current GT3 costumers and will additionally bring some new costumers as well.

-those that want hard core sportcar(or track car thatcan be used on the public road) need to wait for GT3 RS. It will be a dream, even for purists.

I may add that I do not know how to interpet his last sentence? Manual and PDK maybe?

Hi Kreso,

thanks for the info..and it seems a few things have turned to the posive side,,,at least for me:

1) wing  - looks good

2) redline..wow..this is very very high...I hope the engine is capable of sustaining "race track" torture - for longer time. So far the GT3 engines were very good.. I hope Porsche knows about its heritage on this subject - and Im waiting for the engine to appear in racing. However, it more or less also confirms that the scepticism towards the 997/991 9A1 was/is justified. Again Porsche will not use it in racing.

3) no PDCC  or PTV = great..get rid of that "crap"..:)

4) Engine - new engine: good - as long as it will be used in racing..fine for me..a normal 911 engine wont do the job..

5) Ring time aroun 7:30..- dont forget the 4.0 was mentioned with 7:27 by Porsche drivers..but it doesnt matter at this high level. However, if the car doesnt do 7:35 or better in the Sport Auto test..this is still better than a 458..and then the 991 GT3 would be a bargain - compared to the Italian one.

6) I need to see pictures from the intererior..otherwise final judegement is not possible. From a purely aestehthical point of view I personally still prefer the 997 GT variants..but it has to do with the fact that for me a 997 is more beautiful than a 991..but this is personal preference..the 991 looks also good (from outside)..but as I told you the back is not my thing

Conclusion: there is hope - Smiley..but nevertheless, I will not sell/change for now. I will keep my 997 GT variants..and will wait for 991 GT3RS..or 991 GT2 if one will be build. 960 is also interesting.  I will wait until all these models are there on the market..in the mean time the 991 GT3 has the time to convince future buyers..and my "old 997 GT2" isnt that slow either...Smiley

regarding racing... Under the current rulest of GTE racing, if porsche homologates 991 this year with the Metzger, they wont be alowed to change it for 2 years... Which will suck balls... cause I can't wait to see this new engine in action..:)

P.S. hopefully the FIA/ACO will gradn Porsche to swap it out before this deadline...

mojeIme:

regarding racing... Under the current rulest of GTE racing, if porsche homologates 991 this year with the Metzger, they wont be alowed to change it for 2 years... Which will suck balls... cause I can't wait to see this new engine in action..:)

P.S. hopefully the FIA/ACO will gradn Porsche to swap it out before this deadline...

thanks..interesting info..so that would mean that the 991 GT3 engine wont appear in racing for now?..

Lets see..

A few more 991 GT3 pics from our friends over on Rennlist...

991 GT3

Date: 18 February 2013
    Source: unnamed Rennlister
    Posted by "911SLOW"

"Information after discussion with the test driver and engineers and watching/touching the actual car

It sounds incredible. Exactly like a cup car.

Completely different PDK

Engine is a bespoke motorsports block, and the basis for the next gen Cup engine. Dry sump.

Yes, it's not the DFI 9A1 and it's not the Mezger. It's a new engine! 

- RPM to 10K, redline 9 dead, 3.8L engine. Power is north of 450hp but they wouldn't say exactly.

- No PDCC, no PTV *at least not in this car

- New rear wing, very similar to 997.2 wing, but up close it's more refined

- Air scoop is beautiful, center feeding

- Car is running Dunlop Sport MAXX, 245/20 front 305/20 rear 

- Car retains traditional 3 piece muffler, identical side mufflers as before but looks like a new, smaller center. 

- New brake system, front caliper is ENORMOUS, disc is alternating drilled size.

- New recaro seats, foldable (not one piece), car was a Clubsport version fitted with the rear cage

- Ring times are right around 7.30

- Center locks 

- ESC (electronic stability control), TC, sport exhaust, PDK-S (on the center console)

- Wide body chassis from C4

- Rear control arms look like the ones in the 997 GT cars"

Porsche-991-GT3_Rennlist-06.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Rennlist-07.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Rennlist-08.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Rennlist-09.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Rennlist-10.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Rennlist-11.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Rennlist-12.jpg

...so looks like it will get an "air-ram" intake, Dunlop tyres and a different rear wing! Smiley

Porsche 991 GT3 -- Rennlist Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

mojeIme:

I suspect new RSR has the new engine. Manthey was reporting that the "new"car was showing good reliability, so I suspect that this points to the new engine being tested.

Guys, as always the best Porsche is the latest Porsche. Stop comparing with older models and whinging.

As to pricing IMO Porsche sportscars are still very good value given their level of engineering, build quality,  durability and giant killing performance.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Guys, as always the best Porsche is the latest Porsche. Stop comparing with older models and whinging.

As to pricing IMO Porsche sportscars are still very good value given their level of engineering, build quality,  durability and giant killing performance.

Nostalgia is a compelling thing - especially for old codgers like most of us!  I think it's a case of 2 steps forward one step back in many respects.  Yes they get better, but we yearn for the past.  (Everytime I think like this I think of that damn Singer..!)

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Porsche-991-GT3_Rennlist-06.jpg

Hey Kreso, isn't that your cousin?!

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Yeeeeaaa!!!!!!!! Now that's what I was expecting to see on a GT3!!! That's it baby!!!! kiss What a wing!! It's time to place an order!

--

Nice! Looks great! Hope it sounds even better!

--

2011 Porsche Carrera 4S Platinum Silver (sold)
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS Basalt Black

2013 Porsche Carrera S GT Silver

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” 
    ― Bob Marley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    808405 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450177 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267602 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90832 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7750 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888200 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    837135 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM