Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Corvette C7

Thoma:

In this picture it resembles the 599....

I'd buy any M3 or RS5 over this.

BTW, with it's large engine (6.2 or something), it will very expensive to run in europe (gas + taxes).

amazon:

I'd buy any M3 or RS5 over this.

BTW, with it's large engine (6.2 or something), it will very expensive to run in europe (gas + taxes).

Fuel economy is much better than M3 or RS5, despite the 6.2L

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

GM hasn't certified the LT1 yet, once they do the MPG numbers will come out.  Estimates for Hwy MPG should be around 29 to 31, that translate to 8.1 to 7.6 per 100km for average Hwy.  If cruising one could see higher numbers into the mid 30's mpg.

Before my cam and headers on my C6Z06, I saw 29mpg average on long Hwy trips averaging 70mph.  Was very hard to keep my foot out of the throttle on such trips because the V8 rumble and exhaust vibration to the body is just too addictive.... indecision

--

2006 Corvette Z06 - 563rwhp, (Coilover, Brembo BBK, etc.)

2010 Mercedes E63

Great job Corvette Team!  A definite game changer.  Can't wait to see the Z06 next year.

95jersey:

Great job Corvette Team!  A definite game changer.  Can't wait to see the Z06 next year.

Great job? Yes. Game changer? I doubt it.

A game changer would be a product which can be marketed even outside the US and in larger numbers. Right now, I don't see that.

I also forgot to mention the bad reputation of GM itself over here in Germany and other countries like Belgium because of the Opel disaster. 

If GM wants to get things right, they need a proper dealer network, better service and much cheaper prices.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Rick Hendrick can afford it - besides the proceeds went to "charity" (not sure the Detroit College for Creative Studies exactly qualifies as a charity).

On another note, it looks great from that angle...

RC:
    95jersey:

Great job? Yes. Game changer? I doubt it.

A game changer would be a product which can be marketed even outside the US and in larger numbers. Right now, I don't see that.

I also forgot to mention the bad reputation of GM itself over here in Germany and other countries like Belgium because of the Opel disaster. 

If GM wants to get things right, they need a proper dealer network, better service and much cheaper prices.

Corvette is already sold in larger numbers compared to all the 911 models put together.  The European market would be nice, but Corvette doesn't need it.  I would bet the majority of those Porsche sales are in the US anyway.  With gas and insurance prices they way they are in the EU, I just don't see a market for sports cars like there is in America compared to the average EU consumer.  Outside the 2-4% rich European's that can afford such luxuries, the average European can't afford anything more than a Clio, Golf, or Fiesta because of all the regulations.  Look up the top selling EU cars on Google.  

Example in bad economy

Porsche sold 5,735 (911's) in 2011

Corvette sold 13,596 (C6's)  in 2011

In better economic times...

Porsche sold 13,153 (911's) in 2007

Corvette sold 40,561 (C6;s) in 2007

Sales figures don't lie.

You are correct that sales figures don't lie, but perhaps they don't represent the entire truth either. Maybe an adjustment for the actual dollars (or Euros) spent on the number of units sold would paint a slightly different picture. Of more interest might be some figures on the profitability of each unit. GM did have a great advantage back when the same V8 that powered the Corvette was also used in many other models.

Currently, I think the Corvette's biggest advantage is the removable roof panel. Porsche made a major error in introducing a 'targa' with an oversized sunroof IMHO.

Overall, I like the Vette; but against a 981 Boxster here in the land of incredibly low speed limits for about the same price: I think the Corvette has an incredibly tough row to hoe! yes

I only can repeat myself.... I would love to get an Corvette if I would live in the US.... great car - looks amazing, very affordable for the power - but here in Germany it just sends the wrong signals!

Lars997:

I only can repeat myself.... I would love to get an Corvette if I would live in the US.... great car - looks amazing, very affordable for the power - but here in Germany it just sends the wrong signals!

Spot on, would love to own/drive a Corvette in the US too. Smiley

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Lars997:

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Gladstone:

You are correct that sales figures don't lie, but perhaps they don't represent the entire truth either. Maybe an adjustment for the actual dollars (or Euros) spent on the number of units sold would paint a slightly different picture. Of more interest might be some figures on the profitability of each unit. GM did have a great advantage back when the same V8 that powered the Corvette was also used in many other models.

Currently, I think the Corvette's biggest advantage is the removable roof panel. Porsche made a major error in introducing a 'targa' with an oversized sunroof IMHO.

Overall, I like the Vette; but against a 981 Boxster here in the land of incredibly low speed limits for about the same price: I think the Corvette has an incredibly tough row to hoe! yes

When they come out in the summer take one for a test drive, then make your decision.  I have a 550hp Z06 and don't feel it to be overpowered for the street.  While I can't pin 4th gear on the street (or even 3rd), the simple pleasure of the low end torque around town is something you need to feel to appreciate.  I can literally short shift at 2k rpm and walk away from most traffic from a dead stop.  If I take it up to 3k rpm, I am leaving everyone well behind.  Anything above 4.5k and things start to get violent.  It's not that I am looking to race anyone on the street, but that torque is just intoxicating.  I hate to have to rev a car above 3k RPM to get into a torque band, like most DOHC engines typically behave.  I have owned several euro and japanese cars and the absence of low end torque was always something that I felt was lacking in the overall driving experience.  One could say the overall handling of a 911/M3 provides a similar intoxicating experience, but after driving many students 911's/M3's at the track, I feel that even the C6 Z06 is on par in that category. 

Supposedly the new C7 has the same torque curve of the 7 liter Z06 motor, which will really make the car a pleasure to drive around town.  I don't disagree with my Euro friends, you guys have challenges with owning a Corvette in Europe.  But I think time will and can change that perception and hopefully GM invests in a viable dealership program.     The one thing that probably won't change is the tax embargo the EU puts on American vehicles.  In the US I can buy a $55k MSRP Corvette $10k under.  So yes, you can walk away with a new Vette for $45k US.  It is a shame you won't be able to take advantage of the same pricing incentives.  I just saw advertisements for new C6Z06 with full carbon packages for $18k under MSRP.  ZR1's for $20k under MSRP.

I live in the US and even here Corvette drivers are of a certain stereotype. I won't go into details because I don't want to offend anyone. People who own and drive them certainly send a message. It's write to some and plain wrong to others. Personally I would never own a Corvette newer than the early seventies since I don't want to send that message about myself. 

Sorry to be so vague. I'm sure I offended someone :-)

While I would never own one I certainly follow the brand. Personally I liked the look of the C6. The C7 is just to far away from what I consider the Corvette DNA. The tail lights especially. I compare it to taking a 911 and putting creases and square headlights on it.

-J

SimpleSkin:

I live in the US and even here Corvette drivers are of a certain stereotype. I won't go into details because I don't want to offend anyone.......

I have to say that all the Corvette people I've met who are serious autocrossers and track day  fanatics are pretty cool people.....

964C2:
    SimpleSkin:

I live in the US and even here Corvette drivers are of a certain stereotype. I won't go into details because I don't want to offend anyone.......

I have to say that all the Corvette people I've met who are serious autocrossers and track day  fanatics are pretty cool people.....

I would agree with you on that segment of owners. 

Lars997:

What signals would that be?Smiley

--

I'm pretty sure they stopped making corvettes in 1967, this sure supports that date for me anyway.

Heh, that's quite funny, because being from the US and seeing 10 Corvettes every day, I wouldn't want to own one unless I lived in Europe.

Wish I could still locate the New York Auto Show video, but as I recall it a GM representative said Corvette's market has been shrinking in the younger generation niche.  He said that GM had sold "only 13,000 cars last year" , and that was disappointing.  The majority of buyers are "older generation" folks who have been Corvette enthusiasts for many years.  The new car is more directed to the younger generation in hopes that they will not only buy in, but stay in over the long haul.

Wonderbar:

Wish I could still locate the New York Auto Show video, but as I recall it a GM representative said Corvette's market has been shrinking in the younger generation niche.  He said that GM had sold "only 13,000 cars last year" , and that was disappointing.  The majority of buyers are "older generation" folks who have been Corvette enthusiasts for many years.  The new car is more directed to the younger generation in hopes that they will not only buy in, but stay in over the long haul.

Exactly! GM was turning it into a Cadillac buyer segment. Hopefully, the C7 was introduced in time.Smiley

--

wedouglas:

Heh, that's quite funny, because being from the US and seeing 10 Corvettes every day, I wouldn't want to own one unless I lived in Europe.

Trust me...you don't want to own one in Europe...pimp image and all... Smiley Unless you look like this guy, you want to stay away from a Corvette in Europe. Smiley Sad. Smiley

pimp.jpg

--

indecision

Hilarious, BiTurbo!  Made my morning...

If it's good enough for Jay Leno, then it is good enough for ?????  Wish Jay would buy a new shirt:

www.jaylenosgarage.com

I wish they had stuck with the round tail lamps instead of using the Camaro look. Other than that, IMO a rather impressive car overall - especially, given its price here in the USA. About 1/3 the price of my old 997 Turbo! 

For many of us who grew up in North America, dreaming of owning a Corvette in the 60's, it will undoubtly be more appealing. 

As for image, unfortunately, it probably has even a worse image over here, especially in cities like New York. I would gladly buy one. Can't wait to see what the new Z06/ZR1 will be like.

This clip from the Hitler movie has been used for all sorts of things. This application was very funny.kiss

--

The Hitler meme pokes fun at and sums up GM's long time marketplace predicament of the entry level Corvette Stingray

One buyer group sees it as an equal alternative to the hotted up version of the latest Camaro or Mustang so refuses to pay more than $55k 

The other group sees it as equal or superior to a 911S, especially now that the interior shortcomings have been better addressed but also refuses to pay more than $55k

but all these buyers see no problem paying $80k for a Cadillac  Escalade suv that is basically a crude pick up truck with a cabin.

RC:
    wedouglas:

Trust me...you don't want to own one in Europe...pimp image and all... Smiley Unless you look like this guy, you want to stay away from a Corvette in Europe. Smiley Sad. Smiley

pimp.jpg

looks more like a used Lambo kind of guy to me Smiley

BiTurbo:

indecision

SmileySmileySmileySmiley brilliant

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691096 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410197 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256244 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235423 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858844 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775142 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM