Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayenne GTS (2013) - Short Review

Thanks RC. That's one thing I am very pissed off about with Porsche, 0 rebate on the Cayenne S d on the basis that it is Porsche's most successful model across the range in Europe (Sad but true!).

They don't care if you're a good costumer, they're here to milk the cow. Fabulous cars but is the company becoming too big to preserve that special relationship with its clients? Well, I guess if the demand outstrips the offer, why bother, but still, it's a shame.

Car wise, I am indeed looking forward to drive it. 850 Nm at 2000 rpm should be interesting but you're right, at 2200 kgs, it's a porker.

My dealer usually gives 7-9%, depending on the model and even more if they want to make a deal. The GTS was 11%. It surely seems to differ from country to country but no rebate at all wouldn't be acceptable for me. It is a matter of principle. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

My dealer usually gives 7-9%, depending on the model and even more if they want to make a deal. The GTS was 11%. It surely seems to differ from country to country but no rebate at all wouldn't be acceptable for me. It is a matter of principle. 

Yes I know, I'm really pissed off about this actually. They'd better throw in tons of goodies with the car I'm telling you Smiley

In Australia the discount on Porsches in general and Cayenne in particular is terrible. About 5% depending on options if you are a regular customer. 

Futch:
    RC:

Yes I know, I'm really pissed off about this actually. They'd better throw in tons of goodies with the car I'm telling you Smiley

No chance I think, not even floor matts..

Porsche are way too arrogant IMO. If your big on your principles then you simply will not buy because of the amount of choices available. There's even a price increase here in the UK ISUK stated, that in this current climate Is ridiculous..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

RC:
    amjf088:

Thanks for the great review Christian...

The pictures are fantastic too. My wife and I are getting a GTS too. We have put down the initial deposit, and will have to finalize our spec in a few weeks. Your pictures are particularly helpful as we are trying to decide between Meteor Grey and Classic Silver.

Classic silver is too...classic. Careful. 

Also be warned that the harsh ride may not be something your wife will like. I barely noticed a difference between the sport and comfort suspension mode when the street is really bad. On the other hand, the steering feels as if you are driving a 911. Amazing. I started to hate the steering on my Panamera Turbo S. Smiley

I think the ride question is OK. Our local dealer let us go on a long test drive and my wife and I took turns driving. She really likes the GTS. Actually, it is my wife that has been "pushing" more for a Cayenne. We were looking at an S, but gravitated towards the GTS, which is a good deal if you are considering many of the options that the GTS has as standard equipment.

A question on your photos: The first one shows the "low" position. Is this the loading-only height, or is it the manually selectable low level "1"? I think it must be the loading level, as it looks quite low, but I wanted to ask to be sure.

Thanks!

Futch:

Thanks RC. That's one thing I am very pissed off about with Porsche, 0 rebate on the Cayenne S d on the basis that it is Porsche's most successful model across the range in Europe (Sad but true!).

They don't care if you're a good costumer, they're here to milk the cow. Fabulous cars but is the company becoming too big to preserve that special relationship with its clients? Well, I guess if the demand outstrips the offer, why bother, but still, it's a shame.

Car wise, I am indeed looking forward to drive it. 850 Nm at 2000 rpm should be interesting but you're right, at 2200 kgs, it's a porker.

So they won't even give rebate to a 918 Spyder customer? Wow....SmileySmiley

amjf088:
    RC:
    amjf088:

Thanks for the great review Christian...

The pictures are fantastic too. My wife and I are getting a GTS too. We have put down the initial deposit, and will have to finalize our spec in a few weeks. Your pictures are particularly helpful as we are trying to decide between Meteor Grey and Classic Silver.

Classic silver is too...classic. Careful. 

Also be warned that the harsh ride may not be something your wife will like. I barely noticed a difference between the sport and comfort suspension mode when the street is really bad. On the other hand, the steering feels as if you are driving a 911. Amazing. I started to hate the steering on my Panamera Turbo S. Smiley

I think the ride question is OK. Our local dealer let us go on a long test drive and my wife and I took turns driving. She really likes the GTS. Actually, it is my wife that has been "pushing" more for a Cayenne. We were looking at an S, but gravitated towards the GTS, which is a good deal if you are considering many of the options that the GTS has as standard equipment.

A question on your photos: The first one shows the "low" position. Is this the loading-only height, or is it the manually selectable low level "1"? I think it must be the loading level, as it looks quite low, but I wanted to ask to be sure.

Maybe the US/Canada- spec GTS is less stiffer than the Euro version due to its marginally higher ride height as standard  (both set in the same level) I had a 958 "S" before and it was definetely a much more comfortable ride, my GTS is harsh!, not a bad thing for RC who said he loves the 911 like feeling Smiley, but I am kind of dissapointed.  For me to enjoy a rock hard suspension sports car I already have a 911 Smiley , anyway to each his own.  On a side note, my GTS is classic silver and it looks great, but Ive seen a white and a black on the road and IMO they look better than mine, more into the GTS sporty theme. Meteor Gray would be nice too.

Reading this thread with pros and cons + the sound, I feel like camping next to my dealers entrance door waiting for my GTS laugh

galion:
    Maybe the US/Canada- spec GTS is less stiffer than the Euro version due to its marginally higher ride height as standard  (both set in the same level) I had a 958 "S" before and it was definetely a much more comfortable ride, my GTS is harsh!, not a bad thing for RC who said he loves the 911 like feeling Smiley, but I am kind of dissapointed.  For me to enjoy a rock hard suspension sports car I already have a 911 Smiley , anyway to each his own.  On a side note, my GTS is classic silver and it looks great, but Ive seen a white and a black on the road and IMO they look better than mine, more into the GTS sporty theme. Meteor Gray would be nice too.

Possible, I haven't thought about it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

amjf088:

Thanks!

Loading only (well...it actually stays this way up to a speed of 5 kph or so), this is the lowest possible level.

In reality, both lowest and highest levels look more spectacular than in the photos but I guess you get an idea.

For snow or even light off-roading (due to the Sport Design package, serious off-roading and/or driving through even shallow water is not recommended at all), this is just perfect, I would have never taken a Cayenne GTS without the air suspension. I look at the Cayenne GTS as some sort of all-purpose vehicle. It doesn't do anything real perfect but it provides a lot of driving fun. Of course we have bad weather now (mostly rain for now... Smiley) and driving a Cayenne in bad weather is actually a pleasure but I hope the fun will keep on going in spring and summer too. Smiley

--

The Cayenne GTS kisses my Pana's b..tt ... smiley

kiss.jpg

--

Here is a nice Cayenne GTS desktop background image (2560x1800). Enjoy.

To view it full size, just click on it and to download, right-click and download.

1356689110248gts.jpg

--

I would have also loved to see some sort of a "difference" in the engine compartment, like this one for example.

1356692825643engine.jpg

--

Loading only (well...it actually stays this way up to a speed of 5 kph or so), this is the lowest possible level.

In reality, both lowest and highest levels look more spectacular than in the photos but I guess you get an idea.

For snow or even light off-roading (due to the Sport Design package, serious off-roading and/or driving through even shallow water is not recommended at all), this is just perfect, I would have never taken a Cayenne GTS without the air suspension. I look at the Cayenne GTS as some sort of all-purpose vehicle. It doesn't do anything real perfect but it provides a lot of driving fun. Of course we have bad weather now (mostly rain for now... Smiley) and driving a Cayenne in bad weather is actually a pleasure but I hope the fun will keep on going in spring and summer too. Smiley

Thank you for the reply! I think youi characterize the GTS well... an all-purpose vehicle for car enthusiasts...

RC, don't you have a similar hires picture for the C4S as well?

--

There is no try. Just do.

Pentium:

RC, don't you have a similar hires picture for the C4S as well?

Here you go...sorry, I don't have better ones (click on them and then right-click and download).

c41.jpg

c42.jpg

c43.jpg--

SmileySmiley

--
    Happy Driving

They are perfect! Thanks RC! Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

Christian,

Enjoy your new DD in good health. I guess I missed the part why you sold your C63 AMG fun car which you said you will keep for a while and get another SUV just next to wife's X3. What was the reason?

I wish you a happy new year with the family and the ones you love wink

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Looking at your fleet Christian, I don't really understand why you want a Cayenne GTS? You have a SUV in the X3, and a large family car in the Pana. Where does the GTS fit in? Or maybe business is just good right now. smiley

Many thanks for the review RC, very informative as always. Smiley

Out of interest how does the Cayenne compare with the BMW X3 35D Smiley I realise the BMW is not as large and obviously not as powerful, but is it as good a drivers car? How does manoeuvrability, parking etc compare? 

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

WAY:

Looking at your fleet Christian, I don't really understand why you want a Cayenne GTS? You have a SUV in the X3, and a large family car in the Pana. Where does the GTS fit in? Or maybe business is just good right now. smiley

The X3 is my wife's car, we work two different jobs, so we need to different daily drivers. Smiley

--

dreamcar:

Many thanks for the review RC, very informative as always. Smiley

Out of interest how does the Cayenne compare with the BMW X3 35D Smiley I realise the BMW is not as large and obviously not as powerful, but is it as good a drivers car? How does manoeuvrability, parking etc compare? 

--

You'd be surprised to learn that from 0-120 kph, the X3 35d and my Cayenne GTS are having the same performance. Over 120 kph, my Cayenne starts to pull away very slowly (barely noticeable up to 150 kph) and only above 180 kph, the GTS pulls away stronger.

The X3 feels nimble and light and the steering is very direct, though not as direct as on the GTS. Still, if someone wants or needs a fast Diesel SUV, the X3 35d is the perfect choice. Diesel consumption in the city is 9-10 l / 100 km when driven fast, below 9 l / 100 km when driven normally and even below 8 l / 100 km when driven economically. I drove the X3 35d at full speed (full throttle) on the Autobahn up to a speed of 210 kph (H rated winter tires) and Diesel consumption was 9.7 l / 100 km. Amazing. The ride is stiff but not uncomfortable, parking is quite easy (with the rear view camera even easier) and I'd say that from a value for the buck point of view, the X3 35d is great. My wife got herself an almost new dealer loaner, rebate was almost 20%, so we can't complaint. Car has a new value of 75k EUR, it was fully equipped.

I can highly recommend the X3 35d, it is a very powerful and sporty (with the sport options!!!) SUV with a low Diesel consumption and incredible performance (AMS tested the X3 35d at 0-100 kph in 5.5 seconds and 0-200 kph in 26.4 seconds). I doubt that the new Cayenne S Diesel is better performance-wise. On the plus side, an optional air suspension is available for the Cayenne, it is not available for the X3.

--

pride355:

Christian,

Enjoy your new DD in good health. I guess I missed the part why you sold your C63 AMG fun car which you said you will keep for a while and get another SUV just next to wife's X3. What was the reason?

The reason I gave away the C63 Coupe was the weather. I got the C63 last year around end of February or March or so and I didn't experience much of a winter with it. Traction was always an issue, especially on wet pavement but even on dry pavement but for some while, this was actually part of the fun with the C63. Then, it started to snow early in November and I realized that the C63 just isn't the right car for me. I had to leave it in the garage for a couple of days because I wasn't able to drive it (we live up a hill and despite some 30 kg of additional weight in the trunk, I wasn't really able to drive up that hill on the first try, very frustrating). I also realized along the way of driving the C63 that I'm not a Mercedes type of guy. My Mercedes dealer had a nice ML 63 AMG with PP for me, one of their almost new loaners and although he made me a good (though not excellent) deal, I chose the Cayenne GTS instead. I fell in love with it instantly and so far, I don't regret it. I'm still amazed on how sporty a SUV can feel and sound, Porsche did a wonderful job here. Almost got myself a Cayenne Turbo but luckily for me, the car was lacking PDCC. After driving the GTS for a couple of days now, I don't regret a single moment that I got it.

Now I have a Panamera Turbo S and a Cayenne GTS in my garage. Only a 991 Turbo or 991 GT3 RS are missing. Smiley Not sure I will ever get one (job and kids and all) but it surely is great fun to own two Porsche. Smiley

--

Thank you for your detailed reply RC, much appreciated. Smiley

We are certainly thinking hard within the next couple of years to come up with a solution to the Garage Queen problem, with my wife's love of the high driving position and comfort an SUV such as the X3 35d is a very strong possibility. She loves BMW and finds the seats really comfortable. There is certainly no point going from a 911 to a lesser sports car, so a complete change seems to be a logical way to go.

We want to do a final European tour in May / June 2014, taking in Southern Germany, and Switzerland whilst we still have the 997/2, then it may well be time to change. Low mileage used / ex dealer demonstrator seems to be the best way to go for the X3 35d looking at prices here, hardly any difference in used prices between the 30d and 35d.

--

RC:
    pride355:

Christian,

The reason I gave away the C63 Coupe was the weather. I got the C63 last year around end of February or March or so and I didn't experience much of a winter with it. Traction was always an issue, especially on wet pavement but even on dry pavement but for some while, this was actually part of the fun with the C63. Then, it started to snow early in November and I realized that the C63 just isn't the right car for me. I had to leave it in the garage for a couple of days because I wasn't able to drive it (we live up a hill and despite some 30 kg of additional weight in the trunk, I wasn't really able to drive up that hill on the first try, very frustrating). I also realized along the way of driving the C63 that I'm not a Mercedes type of guy. My Mercedes dealer had a nice ML 63 AMG with PP for me, one of their almost new loaners and although he made me a good (though not excellent) deal, I chose the Cayenne GTS instead. I fell in love with it instantly and so far, I don't regret it. I'm still amazed on how sporty a SUV can feel and sound, Porsche did a wonderful job here. Almost got myself a Cayenne Turbo but luckily for me, the car was lacking PDCC. After driving the GTS for a couple of days now, I don't regret a single moment that I got it.

Now I have a Panamera Turbo S and a Cayenne GTS in my garage. Only a 991 Turbo or 991 GT3 RS are missing. Smiley Not sure I will ever get one (job and kids and all) but it surely is great fun to own two Porsche. Smiley

Christian,

Since you have the perfect DD and your wife has an another SUV, you could get something more sporty/special car instead of PTS. I know that it is a 4 year loaner but a garage of Cayenne GTS-X3 35d-991 Turbo makes more sense to me.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

^^^indecision Hehe, oh boy here we go again , RC would you mind explain this again, You guys need to read the whole thread.wink

galion:

^^^indecision Hehe, oh boy here we go again , RC would you mind explain this again, You guys need to read the whole thread.wink

SmileySmiley Smiley

For a last time: I cannot get a 911 because of A. the family (hint: garage queen) and B. work (hint: envy).

I would love to get a 991 Turbo or even a 991 GT3 RS as a fun car but it doesn't make sense, it doesn't fit my garage (the Mini would need to go first) and it would just sit there...in the garage because of the family (weekends are family weekends).

--

Congratulations on the very special car! The exterior colour is the best you can get from limited Cayenne colour range and is really understated. I wonder what Porsche is suggesting to do to maintain that alcantara wheel as it is now? Because with time it gets more "polished" which is not so nice - I have this problem in my CSL.

--

M3 CSL (nr. 401 out of 1385), Cayenne V6

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689224 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409037 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255676 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234928 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65489 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857848 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773838 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM