Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayenne GTS (2013) - Short Review

POSITIVE

- Steering (my car has the Power Steering Plus, which is standard in the US) is very direct, precise and delivers a good road feel (the steering on the other Cayenne models is a little bit more comfort oriented).

- Suspension (my car has the Air Suspension with PASM) is pretty stiff, even in comfort mode and it may feel too uncomfortable for those who are looking for a comfortable ride. I love it however because I can actually feel the road with my behind, which kind of gives me a sense of a sports car). Be warned: If you love comfort, you will hate the GTS suspension setup.

- Drive feel: Despite the winter tires (Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D in 265/19 size), the car goes through curves like a go-kart. The (optional) PDCC seems to do it's magic here, the Cayenne GTS does not feel like a SUV, not at all. My car does not have PTV Plus but I can imagine that it is useful, even if I didn't miss it once. PDCC is a must have option though. The Cayenne GTS feels at least 300-400(!) kg lighter than it actually is, which proves how good Porsche engineering seems to be and why their products are more expensive. I still can't believe I am driving a SUV.

- Engine: The engine is very responsive, the throttle response is very direct and spontaneous (Sport mode). However, I have to say that being used to my Panamera Turbo S, the GTS engine is the minimum power engine I would recommend for the Cayenne. The only lower power alternative could be the S Diesel, which has a huge torque and provides a superior power feel but performance-wise, do not get a Cayenne with anything less than the GTS engine. You will be disappointed, unless you aren't used to something more powerful. For me, the GTS is at the limit of what I would buy, power-wise but I may be spoiled. I really like the GTS engine, it feels, despite being still new, powerful and doesn't seem to show any weakness in the upper rev range but I am still in the process of running in the engine, so the experience can only get better. Overall, I really like the GTS V8 engine but I wouldn't want any horse less regarding it's horse power.

- Sound: Oh boy, where do I start? The car is still new but it already makes people turn their heads each time I am accelerating. The GTS is loud, it has a deep V8 growl which becomes louder and louder and not only inside the car but also outside the car. Porsche did a little bit of trickery to enhance the sound inside the car but I'm not sure this was a good thing. To be honest, the loud sound can get tiresome at some point because you actually get the full experience in the inside, not much filtered from the outside. I like it, so does my son but my wife and daughter already asked me to turn off the "Sport" button when driving a longer distance. I agree, it can be annoying at some point but the "Sport" button is very effective and if you turn it off, the sound is almost gone. I still think this is a great feature, it fits a V8 SUV very well but nobody will like it like I do, especially not wives. Smiley Oh...the sound should get even louder after a couple of thousands of kilometers. Smiley

- Interior: The Cayenne has  the sportiest and classiest interior I've ever seen on a SUV, especially with the 18-way adaptive sport seats (they look sportier) and full carbon. Even Range Rover can't cope with that, sorry. Porsche did an amazing job here, Bravo to them. Every time I enter my Cayenne, I feel like in 7th heaven. It makes a difference. The rear seats are also slightly more sporty with the 18-way adaptive sport seat option and they can also be adjusted, which is an amazing feature for the rear passengers. Only downside: They are full leather, the middle is not Alcantara. Speaking of Alcantara: I just love it, it is just in the right places. The Alcantara steering wheel could be slightly smaller in diameter and a little bit thicker but overall, I like the feel of it. I also like the gearshift pedals a lot, they work well.

- Gearbox(Tiptronic): I am a friend of PDK but not so much of Tiptronic. I owned two 955 (Turbo and Turbo S) and the Tiptronic was never a highlight, the reaction was kind of slow and it felt like a better automatic transmission. The Tiptronic in the GTS is a different kind of beast, it works really fast and very accurate, it actually feels like PDK, which is a compliment. Porsche did a great job here. Even in auto mode, the Tiptronic works very well, especially when the Sport button is pressed. I wish it would upshift a little bit earlier in the lower speed ranges when I press the throttle only gently but it works almost perfect and not like the typical automatic transmission one may be expecting.

- Light(yes!!!): Amazing light performance, I really love how the Cayenne illuminates the street(s) at night, it makes me feel safe. Very good light system, very good performance.

- Air Suspension with PASM: A must have option in my opinion, especially on the GTS. Not only can you switch the suspension to a slightly(very slightly) more comfortable setup but it also allows the Cayenne GTS to be the Offroader people may expect from it. Especially in winter time or on not so flat roads, the air suspension can be a great feature to have. I wouldn't order the car without it.

- Brake System: I was a little bit worried about the brake system, especially when I found out that the GTS brake calipers are red like on the Turbo but in reality, this is not the same brake system, the Turbo brake discs are larger. I think Porsche should have given the GTS the Turbo brake system but on the other hand, the GTS brake system is pretty OK, I have not a single complaint yet. This may however change in summer with higher temperatures. The GTS is almost 100 kg lighter than the Turbo, so maybe the Turbo brake system isn't necessary but it would have been a nice feature. Do I miss the PCCB from my Panamera Turbo S? Surprisingly, only a little bit. Like I said, the GTS brake system feels and brakes pretty good but this may be different in spring or summer.

NEGATIVE

- Fuel consumption: The car is still new and I just have 350 km on it but fuel consumption never dropped below 20 liters / 100 km so far. Yes, I am running it in quite performance-oriented Smiley but I haven't even driven it at Vmax (winter tires) and I also haven't used full throttle all the time. I am hoping for the best here, a friend told me something about 15-16 liters / 100 km on average but right now, I am a little bit worried. Smiley Oil consumption seems to be OK though, the oil level hasn't dropped a bit (still at max).

- BOSE sound system: I actually thought that there isn't much of a difference between BOSE and Burmester but to be honest, I am kind of surprised how much of a difference there actually is. If you are a real audiophile, please do yourself a favor and get Burmester. Today I drove my Panamera Turbo S (equipped with Burmester) right after I drove my Cayenne GTS with BOSE and the difference is really noticeable. I listen to Dubstep, Electro House, etc. . this isn't even music I am supposed to hear much of a difference between systems but like I said, Burmester rocks. The BOSE system isn't bad but compared to Burmester, the difference is there.

- Sound Composer(the "thing" which makes the GTS sound loud in the interior too): There should be another button, besides the "Sport" button, to turn this thing off. I sometimes want to go fast and use the "Sport" button but without that permanent "vroom" sound from the sound composer. If I want to listen to the exhaust and engine, I can crack open a window and/or the panoramic roof. The technical idea behind the sound composer is OK but I wish it could be turned off without having to switch off the Sport button.

Do I regret not getting the Cayenne Turbo? Well, I actually drove the Turbo right after I drove the GTS for a day. Yes, I really love the additional power of the Turbo and even the Turbo doesn't sound too bad, there is that nice V8 growl too, maybe not as loud but noticeable. Do I regret not getting the Turbo? No. For my purpose (daily driver, short distances, not much Autobahn), the GTS is just perfect because it feels lighter and much sportier than the Turbo. Not a little bit sportier but much sportier and it really makes a difference regarding driving fun. If the Cayenne would have been my only Porsche, I would have chosen the Cayenne Turbo S, no doubt about it. For me, the GTS makes a lot of sense and probably for everybody else who has something faster in the garage. The GTS is no Autobahn beast though, just keep that in mind. Even if it should do 0-200 kph in aprox. 20 seconds or so, the Cayenne Turbo S is aprox. 5 seconds faster. This is a huge difference and it will be probably higher in the speed range over 200 kph. As a nice and very sporty SUV, the GTS is unbeatable. I would even say that right now, the Cayenne GTS is the sportiest standard production SUV on the planet.

Here are some nice photos I took today. Unfortunately I didn't have much time (Christmas and all), so they aren't very special. Enjoy. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

mygts7.jpg

Air suspension "low" mode.

mygts6.jpg

Air suspension "high" mode.

mygts17.jpg

mygts11.jpg

1356303101180mygts4.jpg

mygts10.jpg

1356303141706mygts3.jpg

1356303156678mygts2.jpg

mygts15.jpg

mygts14.jpg

mygts8.jpg

mygts9.jpg

mygts12.jpg

mygts13.jpg

mygts16.jpg

1356303253457mygts1.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Re: Cayenne GTS (2013) - Short Review

RC,

this car looks mean Smiley.  I love it.

--
    Happy Driving

Thank you, Ron. blush

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Very informative review, thanks. It covers all the essential points kiss

--

"Form follows function"

Thanks for the review. 

--

1987 911 Carrera 3.2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel - 2010 Abarth 500 - 1995 BMW318ti

Thank you for the review , very much enjoyed reading it.  Our of curiosity , why did you completely de-badge the GTS ? 

--

911 Club Coupe, 72' 911 Targa 2.4 S, 12' Audi S4 Avant

m4ever:

Thank you for the review , very much enjoyed reading it.  Our of curiosity , why did you completely de-badge the GTS ? 

I wanted to test customer reaction first and so far I've been right: Older people, incl. my own mother, don't even recognize a Porsche. Smiley After a couple of months, after people get "used" to this car, I will re-badge it. I already have the PORSCHE and Cayenne GTS badges painted in black, so they will go perfect with my GTS. Smiley

--

Thanks for the review, good read! wink

--

@RC:

Here is another positive GTS review from Autocar

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/first-drives/first-drive-review-porsche-cayenne-gts

A point that doesn't agree with your findings is that the ride comfort in Normal is just right. And if a car is comfortable in the UK it will be more so in Germany. Could it be that the winter tyres are to blame for your complaint?

--

"Form follows function"

Excellent review!kiss I still don't get the obsession with being the fastest on the autobahn. yes

--

nberry:

Excellent review!kiss I still don't get the obsession with being the fastest on the autobahn. yes

neither do I  Smiley

Tks

Thanks for the great review Christian...

The pictures are fantastic too. My wife and I are getting a GTS too. We have put down the initial deposit, and will have to finalize our spec in a few weeks. Your pictures are particularly helpful as we are trying to decide between Meteor Grey and Classic Silver.

Thanks! great review. 

After a couple of months using mine as a DD I began to hate the fake interior sound, I put a piece of wine cork in the sound symposer gimmick located in both A-pillars and it worked great for me, now I drive in sport mode all the time without the ultra annoying loud sound piped to the interior from the admission, the exterior exhaust sound is fantastic as is and loud enough to be heard from the inside.    Agreed with all you said about the suspension setup, anyone who prefers a comfortable ride in an SUV should rule out the GTS, it is is harsh!, but also true that it gives you a sense of driving a sports car.

nberry:

Who says I want to be the fastest on the Autobahn onlySmiley Smiley

Smiley Smiley

On a more serious note: My comment wasn't referring to being the fastest one of the Autobahn but not being "chased" by some Diesel station wagons. I usually do not drive 130 kph or so on the Autobahn, I drive much faster and if I have a BMW or Audi station wagon following me at close distance at 200 kph while I am passing other cars, this is kind of annoying. Apparently some non-Porsche drivers see it as some sort of a challenge to keep up and/or be faster than a Porsche. Apparently they have some experience with that...Cayenne V6, Cayenne Diesel, Panamera Diesel...no wonder they think they can outrun me. Smiley

If I wouldn't care about performance, I could drive an Audi or whatever instead. No need for a Porsche. 

--

amjf088:

Thanks for the great review Christian...

The pictures are fantastic too. My wife and I are getting a GTS too. We have put down the initial deposit, and will have to finalize our spec in a few weeks. Your pictures are particularly helpful as we are trying to decide between Meteor Grey and Classic Silver.

Classic silver is too...classic. Careful. 

Also be warned that the harsh ride may not be something your wife will like. I barely noticed a difference between the sport and comfort suspension mode when the street is really bad. On the other hand, the steering feels as if you are driving a 911. Amazing. I started to hate the steering on my Panamera Turbo S. Smiley

--

Congrats on the GTS RC, you've triggered my interest in both the Panamera GTS and Cayenne GTS, according to YouTube these things sound magnificent indeed. angel

Enjoy the acquisition and merry christmas!

Porker:

Congrats on the GTS RC, you've triggered my interest in both the Panamera GTS and Cayenne GTS, according to YouTube these things sound magnificent indeed. angel

Enjoy the acquisition and merry christmas!

The sound isn't the only benefit, for a SUV, this thing handles amazingly good. Smiley

I did some 0-100 kph and 0-200 kph runs today (performance box). 0-100 kph, "Sport" turned on but PSM not turned off, in 6.1 seconds (hmm...still needs some run in time) and 0-200 kph in 21.7 seconds. We had another GTS with us (only two persons inside, half of fuel tank filled, ours was full, four persons onboard) and we were absolutely side by side, so my car doesn't run bad at all (considering that I had at least 100 kg more weight onboard). Still wondering when I will get the car below 6 seconds, 5.7 seconds seems to be far away. Smiley

My dealer filled up the GTS with 95 octane fuel(to save a buck or two) and today was the first full tank with 98 octane. I wonder how long the DME takes to adjust to the better fuel. It surely reacts pretty fast to worse fuel quality. 

Thanks a lot and Marry Christmas to you too. Smiley

--

Another member of the GTS club! :)

I also wish there is an off switch for the sound composer thing. It is annoying sometimes. But hard to fault the sound of this car in general. Maybe not as aggressive as the old C63, but not bad at all!

WAY:

Another member of the GTS club! :)

I also wish there is an off switch for the sound composer thing. It is annoying sometimes. But hard to fault the sound of this car in general. Maybe not as aggressive as the old C63, but not bad at all!

Yes, the C63 does have a certain agressiveness in the tone but I think the GTS manages pretty well and so far, I doubt there is any standard production SUV with the same good sound on the market. Some people claim that the Cayenne S with OEM sport exhaust sounds the same but I think Porsche slightly adapted the flap control, the GTS sound better to me in the lower rev range.

Welcome by the way (to the GTS club)...I didn't know. Smiley

--

We did a 100-200 kph run today, comparing my GTS to a regular Cayenne S. We couldn't perform any performance testing from 0-100 kph, too much traffic, sorry but I guess there wouldn't be much of a difference anyway.

Interesting results: GTS...15.8 seconds, S...18.2 seconds. So from 100 to 200 kph, the GTS is 2.4 seconds faster than the Cayenne S. This isn't a huge difference but at least the additional 20 horses and the shorter final drive ratio seem to have an effect on performance. 

Some interesting comparison: My Panamera Turbo S did the same 100 to 200 kph run in 8.1 seconds. Ouch. indecision

Keep in mind that these results may not be 100% accurate (Performance Box) but they give a pretty good hint on performance differences.

--

Oh, I would also like to add some more criticism regarding the Cayenne GTS and how Porsche is marketing this car:

I get it, cost is always important but in the case of the GTS, I think Porsche could have done a little bit better here, the Panamera GTS is actually a good example on how to do everything right.

Brake system: While the Panamera GTS has the Panamera Turbo brake system, the GTS has "just" the ordinary Cayenne S/S Diesel brake. Only difference seems to be the red painted brake calipers. Would it really have killed them, cost-wise, to install the Turbo brake?!

Speedo cluster: Top speed is 250 kph, if you look closely, is it is 270 kph. Seriously? For a car which runs 261 kph? Why not give the GTS the Turbo speedo cluster or at least put 280 kph on the speedo?! Possible cost difference: Zero. It just looks crappy to have the same top speed on the speedo as the Cayenne Diesel. 

Engine hood: Would it have killed Porsche to use the Turbo engine hood?!

Power output: Why does the Cayenne GTS have 10 horses less than the Panamera GTS? It actually doesn't make sense, especially since the Cayenne is the heavier car. Well, it seems that Porsche didn't adapt the new intake design they used on the Panamera GTS (vs. the Panamera S). I get it, maybe they didn't have enough room or whatever but I think that the Cayenne GTS should actually have 40 hp more than the Cayenne S to cope with the additional weight. The 20 hp more look nice on paper but in reality, I doubt they make much of a performance impact. Without the adaptation of the final gear ratio, I guess the GTS wouldn't be really faster than the Cayenne S at all.

Sport Exhaust: The exhaust sound should be changed by a seperate button, not the "Sport" button, since the "Sport" button also controls throttle and PSM/PTM behavior. 

All the above measures would have probably increased production cost by a couple of hundreds of EUR, at max.

--

RC:

Oh, I would also like to add some more criticism regarding the Cayenne GTS and how Porsche is marketing this car:

I get it, cost is always important but in the case of the GTS, I think Porsche could have done a little bit better here, the Panamera GTS is actually a good example on how to do everything right.

Engine hood: Would it have killed Porsche to use the Turbo engine hood?!

I thought it's the same hood on both models  Smiley

--

I read somewhere that it isn't the same hood. Apparently the Turbo hood is slightly more "pronounced". Not sure however if this is true because to be honest, they look practically the same to me.

--

I was about to make the same question. I even looked at some pictures and they look exactly the same to me.  yes

RC,

Thank you for the detailed review, and for the pictures. The car looks pretty serious; I love it. Enjoy it in good health.

RC, this one would perfectly fit your PTS blush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkTsqAuF2OE

--

SportCarGroup:

RC, this one would perfectly fit your PTS blush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkTsqAuF2OE

The Turbo my dealer had offered me (instead of the GTS) looked absolutely the same. If the car would have had PDCC, I may have been tempted but a Cayenne without PDCC is a no-go in my book. Lease cost was very similar. The color also made me think twice about the Turbo, my wife said the black is too aggressive (which is a good thing for my PTS but not so good for my daily driver parked next to my business Smiley).

--

Congrats RC very nice car the GTS, defies the laws of physics really. I went the more conventionnal route and ordered a Cayenne S diesel which I've read is also an excellent car, but no way near as fun and very heavy. Should hold its residuals better though, hopefully.

Futch:

Congrats RC very nice car the GTS, defies the laws of physics really. I went the more conventionnal route and ordered a Cayenne S diesel which I've read is also an excellent car, but no way near as fun and very heavy. Should hold its residuals better though, hopefully.

I had the chance to drive the S Diesel a couple of weeks ago and it feels (and even almost sounds!) like a Cayenne Turbo, honestly. Smiley You will enjoy it but it also feels heavier and less sporty than the GTS. I was almost at the brink of getting one (my dealer gets one mid of January) but the lack of PDCC, the additional weight (almost 100 kg more than the GTS) and the not so impressive consumption (I saw 13-14 l / 100 km at some point during the test-drive and the actual guy who drove the car on the Autobahn told me that he saw even 16 l at some point) made it easier for me not to go for the Diesel. On the other hand, if you drive the S Diesel in a "normal" manner, you should be able to get the car at or under 10 l / 100 km. Resale value will surely be better for the S Diesel, no doubt about it. I also think that the S Diesel will be easier to modify for more power, 50 horses more should be easily possible by a simple software mod. Smiley

Congratulations...post a driving report and some photos as soon as you get your torque beast. Smiley

The best Diesel SUV so far, seems to be the BMW X3 35d my wife has. Amazing truck. It is very fast too, It feels very sporty, Diesel consumption is a flat 10 l / 100 km now but my wife moves it mainly in the city. So from a bang for the buck point of view, I would call this car perfect. Especially since many BMW dealers seem to offer good deals for it too over here in Germany. This SUV is also small enough for the city, incl. parking.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690298 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409625 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255913 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235160 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65630 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858323 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774555 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM