Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The itch strikes again...

1356006063217IMG_1389.jpgRC:

Thanks, Soenke. I actually just realized that there is no better daily driver than a SUV, especially in winter time. 

If the ground clearance is still Ok this works as well Smiley

Congrats RC, car looks great, even on those ugly winter Wheels. ;-)

MKSGR:

Thanks, Soenke. I actually just realized that there is no better daily driver than a SUV, especially in winter time. 

What a beautiful picSmileySmiley

MKSGR:

Smiley 

Btw: My phone module (PCM) is not working, so I get a new one installed tomorrow. Bummer.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Many congrats , Christian. Very good choice.kiss

I imagine just like in your home town, intense and deep Cayenne growl can be heard hours long indecision Have always a safe ride.

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW Grand Coupe 650i xDrive

What a beautiful picSmileySmiley

+1, awesome shot MKSGR.

MKSGR:
    1356006063217IMG_1389.jpg

SmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II,2011 Cayenne Turbo

Proper winter wheel/tireimage.jpg

uploading from iphone, can be buggy!!

--
    2012 Cayenne TT (on order for june 2012), 997.1 Targa 4s, 2009 Q5 3.2

Conny997:

Many congrats , Christian. Very good choice.kiss

I imagine just like in your home town, intense and deep Cayenne growl can be heard hours long indecision Have always a safe ride.

I always turn off the Sport button when I am close to work. Not caring much about my neighborhood anymore, people seem to have accepted my toys, kids also seem to be well integrated into the community. Apparently it pays off that my wife has lots of patients in the neighborhood, everybody needs a doctor and in this case, I actually think that driving nice cars means that the doctor must be good. Smiley (well, my wife is actually good).

You should really try the new GTS, it is completely different from the old one. The ride and steering are so firm, it feels like driving a 991, not a Cayenne. Amazing setup. It actually feels sportier than the PTS. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

The Cayenne and Panamera GTS models are supposed to be sportier than the Turbo models, even though a little slower in the straight line.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

The Cayenne and Panamera GTS models are supposed to be sportier than the Turbo models, even though a little slower in the straight line.

I know but I never expected such a difference. It is actually sad that Porsche doesn't offer the same setup as an option for the Turbo and Turbo S.

Same goes to the exhaust sound: My son was standing next to the car yesterday and when I fired the engine up a little bit with the sport button pressed, he told me afterwards that the sound was so loud that it hurt his ears. He loves loud exhaust systems (like probably all kids Smiley). I can't say yet if the sound is louder than on the C63 when fully accelerating but at idle or lower rpm figures, it is definitely more noticeable than on the C63. Very nice setup and I am surprised that  Porsche actually got this kind of sound through German TÜV (it is really loud for a stock car).

--

BlackSparrow:

Proper winter wheel/tireimage.jpg

uploading from iphone, can be buggy!!

sure better...Smiley

--

A couple of points regarding my choice of winter wheels: This was the smallest size "acceptable" (visually) for the GTS and I went for it because it has advantages on wet and snowy/muddy roads. The larger rims look better but the tires which come with them are usually more Autobahn driving oriented (less good on snow/mud and wet pavement).

I chose the black matte paint because I hate silver rims (haven't you noticed yet? indecision). I know that lately, many owners have black painted summer and winter wheels on all kind of cars but my first 996 Turbo had black rims (exterior color was guards red) too, so this is nothing trendy for me but a choice of personal taste and preference. 

@Dario: With wheels spacers, I wouldn't be able to use snow chains. So no wheel spacers. 

Caution: If you are using snow chains with wheel spacers on your OEM rims, you can cause a lot of damage.

--

An update on my telephone module (PCM): 

Porsche has changed the hardware of the telephone module starting with the 45th week of production. My car has been produced in week 48, so it has the latest hardware. Unfortunately it seems that the new telephone module has issues with Vodafone SIM cards (no kidding). If the SIM is inside the PCM, the phone doesn't start. We tried with a couple of different SIM cards and only the three Vodafone SIM cards (incl. my Nano card with adapter) didn't work. Weird. This seems to be a software glitch but there is no fix yet but a workaround: Letting the phone (PCM) start without a SIM card inside activates the phone and you can insert the SIM and it works. Pretty annoying.

My car has the latest PCM software version 4.30 (for comparison: MY Panamera Turbo S has version 3.41) which also includes the new Jukebox feature. Right now I am in the process of finding out if the 4.30 can be upgraded on my Panamera Turbo S but so far, Porsche doesn't offer it officially.

--

Congratulations RC! Great car!kiss

--

sportcars-history.com

@Dario: With wheels spacers, I wouldn't be able to use snow chains. So no wheel spacers

Yes,Yes.... Understand Smiley

Also i love black wheels,And i rember your red 996TT too...great times...Smiley

--

Congrats RC!

I've had a short test drive in the GTS an hour ago and fell in love with the sound and sharp steering, it reminded me of how stable my TT was, I may trade in my Lexus for the GTS when it shows up in April/May 2013.

Is it worth ticking the Sport Chrono for the GTS or does it only give different throttle response in the 991 only ?

Going to place an order tomorrow kiss

BiTurbo:

Congrats RC!

I've had a short test drive in the GTS an hour ago and fell in love with the sound and sharp steering, it reminded me of how stable my TT was, I may trade in my Lexus for the GTS when it shows up in April/May 2013.

Is it worth ticking the Sport Chrono for the GTS or does it only give different throttle response in the 991 only ?

Wow... Smiley

Sport Chrono is a nice gimmick (useful maybe for the track or if you love to measure your 0-60/whatever times) but no, it doesn't change throttle response and/or the suspension setup. In the Cayenne, the "Sport" button is standard. There is no need for Sport Chrono.

I will post a short review with lots of photos soon, maybe it helps to make your decision. Smiley

--

I always hated the Cayenne - until I drove one, and that was "only" the base diesel model. Even SWMBO was hugely impressed, and I can only imagine how brilliant the GTS is. Many congratulations. Enjoy many safe and enjoyable km's in your super new beast. Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

dreamcar:

I always hated the Cayenne - until I drove one, and that was "only" the base diesel model. Even SWMBO was hugely impressed, and I can only imagine how brilliant the GTS is. Many congratulations. Enjoy many safe and enjoyable km's in your super new beast. Smiley

--

Thank you. Smiley

The Cayenne GTS is an amazing engineering work, you actually have the feeling of driving something much lighter (especially if it is equipped with PDCC). I would have given it maybe 20-30 hp more but I guess this is something we are going to see on a facelift. Smiley  The interior is so nice, I just feel so good in it.

--

The only thing that stops us looking seriously at a Cayenne is that there is only the two of us  99% of the time and it's a big car for two people. So we still have the garage queen "problem" that sparked the bad decision to get a Cayman S PDK a couple of years ago. So now we have a 997/2 sat in the garage for months.......Smiley  Would love to come down to two cars but haven't a clue how to achieve it, I do a huge mileage in my little Yaris, so that's cheap to run and reliable, if as dull as ditch water, SWMBO drives a Honda Jazz - she has the opposite problem only driving 2 miles to work....she loves the high driving position, comfort and security of a 4x4 such as Cayenne / X3 but it's the physical size that puts us off......difficult! 

--

RC:
    BiTurbo:

Congrats RC!

Wow... Smiley

Sport Chrono is a nice gimmick (useful maybe for the track or if you love to measure your 0-60/whatever times) but no, it doesn't change throttle response and/or the suspension setup. In the Cayenne, the "Sport" button is standard. There is no need for Sport Chrono.

I will post a short review with lots of photos soon, maybe it helps to make your decision. Smiley

My order went through and the Sport Chrono was phased out, thanks! Smiley

- White exterior
    - Black interior w/GTS Std Seats
    - Reversing Camera incl. ParkAssist F+R
    - Auto dimming Exterior + Interior mirrors
    - PDCC
    - PTV+
    - 20 inch RS Spyder Design Wheel
    - LCA (Lane Change Assist)
    - Porsche Crest F + R
    - Light Comfort Package
    - Telephone module incl. cordless handset
    - Colored Wheel Caps
    - Entry & Drive
    - Bose System
    - Center console armrest with model spec logo
    - Servotronic / Power steering plus
    - PASM w/20mm lower suspension
    - PCM + Navi System
    - Black exterior package (high gloss)

Black dual tailpipes Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWWdCVxbHt4

This one looks amazing...black wheels are a must on the GTS. indecision

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InPmidjjymA

The cordless handset, I have it in my Panamera Turbo S, is a nice feature but...I never use it.  The handsfree is just perfect, even for the co-passenger.

--

dreamcar:

The only thing that stops us looking seriously at a Cayenne is that there is only the two of us  99% of the time and it's a big car for two people. So we still have the garage queen "problem" that sparked the bad decision to get a Cayman S PDK a couple of years ago. So now we have a 997/2 sat in the garage for months.......Smiley  Would love to come down to two cars but haven't a clue how to achieve it, I do a huge mileage in my little Yaris, so that's cheap to run and reliable, if as dull as ditch water, SWMBO drives a Honda Jazz - she has the opposite problem only driving 2 miles to work....she loves the high driving position, comfort and security of a 4x4 such as Cayenne / X3 but it's the physical size that puts us off......difficult! 

I live in Bavaria, I travel to Austria and Switzerland in winter time and I have two kids. So yes, a Cayenne makes sense.

Speaking of garage queens, I know the problem(s). This is why I decided to get the fastest Panamera available, so I don't miss a Porsche sports car too much. Same would have been the case for the Cayenne, I actually wanted the Turbo Powerkit but my wife liked the Panamera Turbo S better and the lower weight and better performance kind of make me want it too. Now I am so amazed by the GTS but mostly about the chassis and steering setup. The power is OK but nothing to write home about. I switched to the Panamera Turbo S today, I had to wash the car and my son wanted to have a comparison and wow, he told me that he couldn't take a breath when I full accelerated. Smiley Yep, the bi-turbo V8 is a monster in the PTS.

So here is my question: Why doesn't Porsche actually offer a Cayenne GTS Turbo? Smiley Give this puppy 600 horses and swear, I will buy it at the spot...and many others too. Smiley

--

Super Darius:

Christian

What you ever tell me?

For power addict like us,what is first thing?

Power...so don't go wrong,if you have the chance to get a Turbo instead of the GTS,take the Turbo!

Christian,i take up this thread,only for joke,reading what you write in the other post about Autobhan and Diesel SW and GTS.

Don't tell i never tell you that the right choice for you was the Turbo.

but you never hear me...Smiley

Joking apart,can i tell you what can happen in the next months?Smiley

After the Panamera facelift will come,you will sell your PTS,you Cay GTS and you will take a Cay Turbo S.SmileySmiley

Smiley

--

Dario, I'm afraid not. I will keep my Panamera Turbo S and the Cayenne GTS until the lease runs out, maybe a couple of months shorter if the next generation Cayenne Turbo will be available by that time and yes, I will go for the Cayenne Turbo (the S version will not be available by that time but powerkits can be retrofitted).

You may have misunderstood my post, I actually love both, the Panamera Turbo S and the Cayenne GTS but I wish Porsche would offer some sort of Cayenne GTS Turbo with the chassis/steering setup and exhaust sound of the GTS, combined with the power of the Cayenne Turbo S and maybe even more.

I do not regret going for the Cayenne GTS instead of the Turbo because in my case, the Turbo wouldn't have made much sense since I still own the PTS.

My kids are older now, my daughter will go to university in less than five years, so I need to plan ahead and I cannot afford buying or even leasing one toy after another.

So when the PTS and Cayenne GTS go, they will be both replaced very likely by a next gen Cayenne Turbo.

Right now, I don't plan to go for any "toys" anymore in the near future but if my financial possibilities permit it, I may go for a 991 Turbo at some point. The family has priority though, so the family car is the most important one. If Porsche would offer a Cayenne S Diesel with 500 horses, even this car could be interesting for me. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691168 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410239 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256270 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235434 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65759 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858879 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775191 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM