Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Cayman (2012)

sfo:

991 manuals got rev matching recently

After automatics were made to behave like manuals, manuals are being converted to behave like automatics.

Funny marketplace!

--

"Form follows function"

Gauss:

just received word from the Porsche dealer, that the Sport Chassis (-20mm) for the Cayman will be available for October 2013 deliveries at the earliest surprise

Did you hope to have a new ride this spring ? Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gauss:

just received word from the Porsche dealer, that the Sport Chassis (-20mm) for the Cayman will be available for October 2013 deliveries at the earliest surprise

It seems the Boxster would less likely be your choice... and I thought that you like convertibles. Smiley

Gnil:
    Gauss:

Actually I did, Eric, but this news is kind of a deal breaker for me.

Gauss:

Looking to buy? Replacing the 2-Eleven or looking for an involving DD?

Ferdie:
    Gauss:

It seems the Boxster would less likely be your choice... and I thought that you like convertibles. Smiley

Smiley Very funny. I simply find the Cayman better looking than the Boxster.

@Porker, I have sold the 2-Eleven. It was tremendously fun to drive but so very unreliable. It had an engine failure after just 5k km last August (failing oil pump -> oil starvation), and after I had run in the new engine, it suffered yet another power loss at Bergwerk. I figured it wiser to sell it before another disaster happened.  

Now looking for something fast/fun and reliable to replace it with.

Rev matching is an option as i read it? Don't want it? Don't tick the box!SmileySmiley

Gauss:
    Gnil:
    Gauss:

It would also be a deal breaker for me . I don't understand why they do this ( not bringing all options out at the same time , it is the same fro the sports exaust on the 911's )

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gauss:
    Ferdie:
    Gauss:

@Porker, I have sold the 2-Eleven. It was tremendously fun to drive but so very unreliable. It had an engine failure after just 5k km last August (failing oil pump -> oil starvation), and after I had run in the new engine, it suffered yet another power loss at Bergwerk. I figured it wiser to sell it before another disaster happened.  

997 GT3 3.6   ??  Smiley

Much better for your Nordschleife-Plans than a new Cayman S...and almost the same money.

OK, the insurance and the service costs could be 3 times higher... Smiley

Blueflame Smiley

Gnil:
    Gauss:
    Gnil:
    Gauss:

It would also be a deal breaker for me . I don't understand why they do this ( not bringing all options out at the same time , it is the same fro the sports exaust on the 911's )

I assume they want to control the configurations (specs) and hence be more beneficially efficient.

blueflame:

997 GT3 3.6   ??  Smiley

Much better for your Nordschleife-Plans than a new Cayman S...and almost the same money.

Blueflame Smiley

I'm closely watching the market already Smiley

blueflame:
    Gauss:
    Ferdie:
    Gauss:

997 GT3 3.6   ??  Smiley

Blueflame Smiley

My thoughts exactly!

Gauss:
    blueflame:

997 GT3 3.6   ??  Smiley

Blueflame Smiley

I'm closely watching the market already Smiley

Nice and a "RS": Smiley

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/porsche-997-gt3-rs-clubsport-deutsch-u-frei-33-km-anzing-bei-m%C3%BCnchen/166236549.html?la...

Sorry for OT - I really like the new Cayman...Smiley

Blueflame Smiley

Yes, let's get back to the topic of this thread indecision wink

I will start a new thread about my car search soon.

Gauss:

What about the Cayman R? (987).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    Gauss:

The CR is a great car, no doubt. I just dig the design of the 981 much more, and I also expect the new Cayman S' performance to be at least on par with the CR's. 

Gauss:
    RC:
    Gauss:

The CR is a great car, no doubt. I just dig the design of the 981 much more, and I also expect the new Cayman S' performance to be at least on par with the CR's. 

It might very well be at least on par performance-wise, but don't you think you'll be left desiring some involvement after a 2-Eleven. A 981 might well be a little too sophisticated and clinical for your taste, no?

Yes Frank, that is basically my biggest concern. I highly doubt that any Cayman platform will give me the same handling thrills my 2-11 gave me. That's why I am currently looking to find a nice 997 GT3 example kiss

Looks like Porsche webmasters forgot to update Cayman on the main page angry

135564280146101.jpg

--

with the new rev-matching manual, does that mean it will over-rev if we still heel-toe??

that's gonna be weird.... what's Porsche up to?? can't they just leave the bloody manual trans alone!?  and maybe  short-shift fitted as standard.

--

BMW 1 M + C63. 

Hey Derder, "our" 1M is gone, as is the C63. Time to update your signature!

Btw, have you taken the GT3 in for the recall? I don't know why it took them like a year to do the recall when the US did it so long ago. 

Anyway, you like the Cayman? Swap the GT3 for a PDK one to save your quads? Lol

hey WAY.  good to know u still go on Rennteam!

I havent done the recall yet, got the letter last week only.  been too busy with work.

hopefully the wheels don't fall off LOL!!!

I thought the recall in US was only recent?  but the number of OZ-delivered GT3 are in such low numbers.  prob less than 20 cars in 2010 production year.  so no one cares about us i guess.

anyway, I like the Cayman.  

but it has to be a Cayman R before I am tempted away from my beloved GT3 heheee...

--

BMW 1 M + C63. 

2013 Porsche Cayman and 1966 Porsche 906: The Latest And The Greatest...

Just as the Cayman, the Boxster, and the 911 share an increasingly flexible common DNA, the project 906 launched forty-seven years ago was closely related to the first-generation 911. The homologated racing car, also called the Carrera 6, featured an upgraded version of the production car's flat six mounted in front of the rear axle. Painted off-white and sporting the distinctive light yellow Perspex engine cover, our mint-condition example of the first-ever six-cylinder mid-engine Porsche pointed the way toward today's Boxster and Cayman. Its dramatic proportions are simply out of this world. At 39 inches tall, the gull-wing two-seater is lower than just about any current hardtop sports car. The 66-inch width is positively petite, but the length measures a self-conscious 162 inches, and the long-tail Le Mans version stretches an even more substantial 181 inches. Among the most eye-catching features are stacked headlights, turn indicators, and long-range driving lights covered by low-drag, flush-fitting lenses; a Kamm-back rear spoiler complemented by a brace of front splitters; a truly panoramic windshield; and two chrome, teardrop-shaped side mirrors.

The latest Porsche Cayman, which will arrive in the United States in the spring, promises to be a competent and affordable 911 alternative. Although it looks familiar from all angles, the 2013 Cayman S is actually brand-new from top to bottom. The wheelbase has been stretched by 2.4 inches, the track is slightly wider, and the front overhang has been clipped. In addition, the design team, under the direction of Michael Mauer, created a more aggressive nose, a set of heavily modified doors, and a markedly different rear end. Also new are a sleeker roof and a more practical hatch made of aluminum. The previously fixed rear spoiler is now motorized; it is significantly larger than before and extends to a taller position and a steeper angle to provide additional downforce. Its drag-cutting counterpart at the front reduces axle lift. Detail changes include newly designed daytime running lights; bigger, straked, matte-black lateral air intakes; and a full-width, high-mounted LED brake light. Perhaps the most striking styling element is the prominent wraparound crease that extends from the doors to the rear fenders, the lipped taillights, and the aforementioned air deflector. Nice work.

Although the Cayman is cheaper to build than the Boxster, which requires extra stiffening measures and a complex power-operated top, it actually sells for quite a bit more than its softtop sibling. Like the common components concept that fused the 911 and its mid-engine sister models, the Cayman's ambitious positioning was the idea of former Porsche chairman Wendelin Wiedeking, who didn't know a lot about cars but was an expert at milking the customer. The 275-hp, 2.7-liter Cayman is priced at $53,550, but the 325-hp, 3.4-liter Cayman S pictured here will cost you at least $64,750. Although the new coupe is not that much more expensive than the model it replaces, you can easily shell out ten grand or more if you succumb to the temptations of the extensive options list, which stretches well into 911 territory. If money is no object, Porsche will happily fit a Burmester sound system, two-tone leather, passive entry and ignition, adaptive cruise control, heated and ventilated memory sports seats, the latest infotainment wizardries, and just about any conceivable color and trim combination. A wider liftgate accesses a larger, 9.7-cubic-foot cargo area, but the liftover height is still quite tall. Access to the engine is from below, but coolant and oil can be topped off via filler necks in the carpeted cargo bay.

A tall crossbar made of brushed aluminum stops luggage from sliding into the cockpit. Although the cabin is still cozy, the extended wheelbase and the redesigned seats furnish tall drivers with an extra bit of room to move.

The 906 was a perfect fit for short and stocky pros like Hans Herrmann and Gerhard Mitter. The gull-wing doors are by no means a fashion item -- they are absolutely essential to making your way past the tiny, low-mounted, three-spoke steering wheel and sliding onto the ridiculously small and narrow cloth-trimmed bucket seat. Once you're installed, the ergonomics are quite acceptable. Visibility is excellent, the wide sills that house the two fuel tanks create sufficient elbow room, and the only obstacle en route to the standing pedals are a couple of oil pipes that can get red hot in the course of a long race. The thinly padded seats look and feel more like uncomfortable bonsai living-room chairs, safety belts are conspicuous by their absence, and the solid single-piece steering column points directly at the driver's chest. The driving environment is extremely basic. The only instruments are a tachometer redlined at 8400 rpm and an oil temperature gauge. The cable-operated clutch isn't much heavier than the throttle, and the five-speed manual gearbox is surprisingly light and slick. A row of black rocker switches operates the single-arm wiper, the lights, and the rudimentary fan.

Thanks to extensive use of lightweight materials such as magnesium and high-strength thin-gauge steel, the curb weight of the 2013 Cayman S was reduced by sixty-six pounds. At the same time, the static torsional stiffness went up by some 40 percent. The Cayman's increase in power over the previous edition may be marginal, but fuel economy also improves a bit and the new S version's performance numbers match those of last year's top-of-the-line R model. When fitted with options like the PDK automatic gearbox and the Sport Chrono pack, the Cayman S will, according to Porsche, sprint to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds and reach a maximum speed of 174 mph. Both six-cylinder engines benefit from direct fuel injection and automatic stop/start, but the variable camshaft timing is still only on the intake side, and of course turbocharging remains reserved for the 911. Features that have filtered down from the 911 include extras such as carbon-ceramic brakes (PCCB), torque vectoring (PTV), active dampers (PASM), dynamic transmission mounts, and Power Steering Plus, which reduces effort at parking speeds while at the same time enhancing self-centering forces.

Tipping the scales at about 1500 pounds -- depending on equipment -- the Carrera 6 weighs roughly half as much as the new Cayman. This is primarily due to the radically lean tubular-spaceframe chassis clad with self-supporting composite clamshell front and rear body sections. Other contributing factors are exotic materials such as beryllium, magnesium, titanium, and aluminum. The air-cooled 2.0-liter flat six delivers 210 hp at 8000 rpm and 145 lb-ft of torque at 6000 rpm. Although it is 62 hp more powerful than the engine installed in the 1966 model-year 911, it weighs an amazing 119 pounds less. When fitted with the tallest of three available final-drive ratios, the long-tail 906 would top 172 mph. The rack-and-pinion steering and the four ATE disc brakes lack any trace of power assistance. Whereas the front wheels are suspended on control arms, the rear wheels rely on a mix of longitudinal and lateral links. Coil springs, fixed-rate dampers, and small-diameter antiroll bars complete the setup. Fifteen-inch steel-and-aluminum wheels are shod with 5.50-15 Dunlop tires.

In the past, the Cayman wasn't allowed to outperform the more profitable 911, but this policy is about to change. Since Porsche has learned that there is virtually no overlap between the two clienteles, we are almost certainly going to see another Cayman R, and there's even talk of a GT3 variant, which could compete in its own junior racing series.

At the other end of the scale, the midcycle makeover expected for late 2015 may yield a new entry-level Cayman powered by a more frugal turbocharged four-cylinder boxer engine. Also said to be in the works are a seven-speed manual gearbox and a wider choice of operating modes modeled after BMW's driving-experience selector and Ferrari's manettino.

Derived from the so-called Bergspyder hill-climb special and developed by the then freshly promoted chief engineer Ferdinand Piech, grandson of Ferdinand Porsche, the Porsche 906 carried a 45,000 deutsche mark sticker price -- a huge increase over the 29,700 DM price of the outgoing 904. Despite this hefty premium, the limited production run of fifty units sold out quickly. In the end, Porsche actually completed fifty-two vehicles, along with nine rolling chassis equipped with the evolutionary 220-hp fuel-injected engine and four works prototypes fitted with an experimental 250-hp, 2.2-liter flat eight. All customer cars featured two triple Weber carburetors capped by striking intake trumpets that sounded spine-tinglingly sexy under full throttle. Willy Mairesse and Herbert Mueller drove a private Scuderia Filipinetti 906 to victory at the 1966 Targa Florio, the car's main claim to racing fame. Although the 906 won its class in that year's world championship, after only one season it was superseded by the brawnier 910. Feel like investing in a well-kept Carrera 6? If you've saved up more than $850,000, you may be able to buy a numbers-matching specimen for those occasional track-day outings -- and a fully loaded, brand-new Cayman S, which would make a supersweet daily driver.

-- Article by Georg Kacher (Automobile, February 2013)

Smiley SmileySmiley

Why the 906 tacho shows 8500 rpm?

--

i can't beleive how much space is back there in the Cayman - as that article points out 9.7 litres.

the same mag does a story that includes the Rapide 4 door - 11.9 litres of trunk, so the cayman has 80% of the sedan.

--

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold / 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual /2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

SportCarGroup:

Maybe a resettable tell-tale needle?

--

fritz

fritz:
    SportCarGroup:

Smiley

--

SportCarGroup:
    fritz:
    SportCarGroup:

Smiley

In the days before on-board electronics, racing car rev counters might be fitted with a second needle which would be moved up the scale by the rev counter needle and then stay at the highest rev reading seen until it was manually reset. This could act as a warning to mechanics that an engine had been over-revved in the heat of battle and that a strip-down and repair was imminently called for.

--

fritz

CPA4S:

i can't beleive how much space is back there in the Cayman - as that article points out 9.7 litres.

the same mag does a story that includes the Rapide 4 door - 11.9 litres of trunk, so the cayman has 80% of the sedan.

should say cubic ft not litres

--

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold / 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual /2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

fritz:

In the days before on-board electronics, racing car rev counters might be fitted with a second needle which would be moved up the scale by the rev counter needle and then stay at the highest rev reading seen until it was manually reset. This could act as a warning to mechanics that an engine had been over-revved in the heat of battle and that a strip-down and repair was imminently called for.

I've learnt something new. Thanks fritz Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806606 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449537 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267056 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90450 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7214 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887352 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836197 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM