Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The itch strikes again...

RC, wow I don't know the numbers of the deal, but just looking at this offer, it's stunning yet very classy and understated! I know that you are sensible so if you say it's a deal, you really mean it. Is the Porsche dealer taking in the C63 as a trade? Honestly I would do it. I'd like to think that I know you, I know what you like in a car and I think you are touching all your needs with this offer that the C63 could... so that begs the question why keep it? The Cayenne has so much more usability, especially for your winters, your area and the way you enjoy a car. I think the GTS is perfect for you because it's another of those cars that you can cause some trouble for others on the Autobahn yet enjoy it throughout the winter and do ski trips in... The C63 only has the sounds going for it, and even that is covered by the GTS... I feel like it would be a sensible switch for you since you're "over" the C63. On a social note, I think the C63 is more flashy too than the GTS despite people in Germany not liking the SUVs, I think more so people will recognize the C63 as being very fast and special. The GTS you can debadge and off you go, not many will see it so much. So if the lease deal is really good and you can part with the C63 with a good deal too, i'd say do it!

RC:
    Last but not least, there is also the temptation to have two Porsche in the garage. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

It is a good feeling to have multiple Porsche in the garage.Smiley

I predict you will replace the X3 with a Macan one day.Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe #13;  2011 Panamera 4

I get the itch often... usually it's great to have another hobby to help you keep your mind off it.  If you get the GTS, you will exchange Panamera within a year :)  which is all fun, but it hits the wallet without a real need.  my 2c.

--
    2012 Cayenne TT (on order for june 2012), 997.1 Targa 4s, 2009 Q5 3.2

RC,

you would lease the car anyway, so, absolutely no downside here - and, more important, your past contributions in RT with respect to SUVs seem to suggest anyway, that you are a "Cayenne"-man 100 %.

Looks beautiful.  Your favorite black wheels.  Get it Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

RC:

Only downside: The GTS at my dealer seems to lack TPM. If so, this would be a deal breaker for me. I do not buy cars without TPM for safety reasons. Not sure if it can be retrofitted but I will talk to the dealer next week. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

I asked about retrofitting TPMS to our 997/2  and was told the following by Porsche Customer Assistance here in the UK "Please be aware that due to system complexity it would not be possible to retrofit the Tyre Pressure Monitoring to this vehicle".

If you find out different please let me know!

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

Very nice GTS, but the steering wheel in those pictures is different? If I was lucky enough to have a Panamera Turbo in my garage, I would opt for the Diesel S Cayenne. The greater the difference between cars/engines/drivertrains in the garage the more fun they bring. Good luck choosing, you can't make a wrong choice in this case.

Fabulous idea.  I say go for it!  

i have had my GTS for 4 1/2 years now; i have never kept a car that long before but these things are amazingly fun; the sound is something i have yet to tire of and notwithstanding those overly bolstered back seats, it is pretty functional.

i don't know if you have had alcantera seats before, but even in -20 they have an inital softer assault on the bottom than  leather; doesn't really add to the sport aspect, but it certainly adds to the dailey driver appeal. the air suspension & height in deep snow and winter is unstoppable. it even brought the christmas tree home last week. i think you are alittle optimistic on that mileage figure, i am more like 16l/100 around town.

anyway, everytime you stomp on it with the sport exhaust open, you will be so happy you passed on the diesel.

--

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold / 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual /2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

BlackSparrow:

I get the itch often... usually it's great to have another hobby to help you keep your mind off it.  If you get the GTS, you will exchange Panamera within a year :)  which is all fun, but it hits the wallet without a real need.  my 2c.

The Panamera will stay longer, it is a weekend family car, nothing else. The GTS doesn't hit my wallet almost at all, this is the beauty of it. My dealer has a good offer for my C63 from a different dealer, so everything looks quite peachy for me. The usual "can't pass on it" type of deal. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X3 35d, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

around the same money?

sounds great, you will be very happy.

From reading all your post I actually think you like the cayenne best in the model line-up with your wife,kids, etc...

good luckSmiley

ARMD009:

around the same money?

sounds great, you will be very happy.

From reading all your post I actually think you like the cayenne best in the model line-up with your wife,kids, etc...

good luckSmiley

Well, I have no choice: If I don't take this deal, I doubt that there is going to be another one that good any time soon and since the C63 gets "older" too, next year it will be worth another 10k less. Smiley Maybe even more. It also seems that right now, there are good deals possible because some dealers seem to need the business.

The Cayenne GTS makes sense because I would use it as a daily driver. I'm still not decided if I should get the GTS or the Turbo, the Turbo is tempting for various reasons but I just realized that the Turb my dealer offered, doesn't have PDCC, so this could be a dealbreaker. On the other hand, the GTS doesn't seem to have TPM, another possible dealbreaker.

Well...surprise, surprise...I keep you guys updated. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X3 35d, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Get the turbo. Knowing you you will regret it soon if you dont

--
    Off enjoying my car...

sounds like a great move.....Smiley

Enjoy

Seems like the perfect opportunity to get rid of the C63. You definitely enjoyed it and it will keep depreciating. That being said, if you can afford the Turbo go for the Turbo.

I would trade the C63 for the more balanced Diesel S or Turbo. I have a 13' GTS that has been my daily driver for the last two months, Its a fantastic looking SUV, but for a DD utility vehicule, the stiffer suspension, loud exhaust and sound symposer gimmick get old really quick. I have to admit that I still miss my beloved 11' Cayenne S.

Christian

What you ever tell me?

For power addict like us,what is first thing?

Power...so don't go wrong,if you have the chance to get a Turbo instead of the GTS,take the Turbo!

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II,2011 Cayenne Turbo

galion:

I would trade the C63 for the more balanced Diesel S or Turbo. I have a 13' GTS that has been my daily driver for the last two months, Its a fantastic looking SUV, but for a DD utility vehicule, the stiffer suspension, loud exhaust and sound symposer gimmick get old really quick. I have to admit that I still miss my beloved 11' Cayenne S.

Trust me, the stiffer suspension, the loud exhaust are actually my main buying reasons. Smiley I love it this way, this is why I chose the C63 AMG Coupe as a daily driver but the traction issues may be fun in summer time, not so much in winter time, especially with those tiny winter tires. I can barely put the power to the ground, even on dry pavement (ESP comes on up to 60 kph and if I turn it off, my rear starts to dance and other drivers show me a nice finger... Smiley).

The Turbo is tempting but I already have the same engine in my Panamera Turbo S and the car my dealer has, lacks PDCC, which could be a dealbreaker for me since PDCC really makes sense on the Cayenne.

The Cayenne S Diesel is tempting too, no doubt about it. In the city, it feels like a 600 hp car, the huge torque makes an impact for sure but in the upper speed range, it is slower than the GTS. The lower Diesel consumption of the Cayenne S Diesel could however be a good argument but I'm not sure I am willing to sacrifice driving fun (GTS has sportier chassis setup and that amazing exhaust/engine sound) for lower fuel consumption.

Decisions, decisions... Smiley

--

RC,

What you really want a 991c4s.

As far as I understand your problem, you need to have in your garage:

1) a family car (the more power the better)

2) a DD (discretion for clients)

3) a sports car.

For now, you already have a panamera turbo S as a family car and your wife has an SUV for that same purpose. That's enough if you ask me. I don't see the point of buying another SUV.

What you lack in all this is a real sports car. I know that you want to get the 991 turbo in 2-3 years.

But think about it: 2-3 years without a sports coupé will be a long time... Smiley

Plus, the cayenne is getting old and the Mecan is around the corner. I'd get a 991 4s.

991C4S is underpowered for RC, even the Powerkit 430PS.

991 Turbo S might do when it comes out.

--

"Form follows function"

amazon:

RC,

What you really want a 991c4s.

Yes, I would want one but I can't because this would mean I would get another garage queen. Like I said before, driving a Cayenne to work is OK, a Panamera or 911 isn't because of my customers. Kind of a German thing here.

As far as I understand your problem, you need to have in your garage:

1) a family car (the more power the better)

YES. 

2) a DD (discretion for clients)

YES again.

3) a sports car.

Yes. Unfortunately I always had to make compromises.

For now, you already have a panamera turbo S as a family car and your wife has an SUV for that same purpose. That's enough if you ask me. I don't see the point of buying another SUV.

The SUV is my wife's, I cannot use it most of the time and I cannot use it as a daily driver.

What you lack in all this is a real sports car. I know that you want to get the 991 turbo in 2-3 years.

Yes, I know.

But think about it: 2-3 years without a sports coupé will be a long time... Smiley

Plus, the cayenne is getting old and the Mecan is around the corner. I'd get a 991 4s.

The Macan will not compete in the Cayenne league and there won't be a V8 engine for the Macan.

The Cayenne is getting old? Introduction was two years ago. Smiley The facelift won't come until 2014 and the GTS has been on the market for two months now.

I know what you mean and I agree, I would prefer a "real" sports car but with a family and a job, I have to make compromises. The 991 C4S was actually on my top list and the dealer offered an even better deal than for the Cayenne GTS, throwing in also a set of winter wheels for free but I can't drive it to work, no way.

Speaking of the power of the  991 C4S: True, it doesn't have the power I wish it would have but it would still be a better perfomer than the Cayenne GTS or even Cayenne Turbo. So I wouldn't mind, I would love to drive a 911 again. However, this isn't possible because of my business.

--

Funny how different countries have different views on cars. Here (Belgium) a 911 would be less in-your-face than a big, pumped up, spoilered and lowered Cayenne GTS.

I park my 997 4S at the office without anyone noticing, a GTS would be a whole different story. 

Lovely GTS.

" May the itch be with you", Christian..indecision..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

spudgun:

Funny how different countries have different views on cars. Here (Belgium) a 911 would be less in-your-face than a big, pumped up, spoilered and lowered Cayenne GTS.

I park my 997 4S at the office without anyone noticing, a GTS would be a whole different story. 

The new Cayenne has a much "lower profile" than the previous version. SUVs are very common in Bavaria, including the Cayenne. Not really an issue. My customers know that I have two kids, so a SUV would be OK to some point. However, if I would get a 911, they would see it as some sort of luxury (sportscar, family father, etc.). Same goes to the Panamera which is considered to be the luxury Porsche in Germany. The mentality over here bothers me too but I can't do anything about it.

The weirdest part of the dealer offers: No matter what I choose, Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo or 991 Carrera 4S, the deals are pretty close to each other and I could actually choose any of them. My heart lies with the 991 Carrera 4S, why should I lie and then comes the GTS. On the other hand, I love powerful cars and the Turbo is kind of interesting too. Unfortunately the Turbo at my dealer doesn't have PDCC and the special deal offer is only valid for cars available.

I have to decide fast...

--

Rc, what magnitude of losses will your business suffer if you go for the Carrera 4S?

--

2003 Cayenne Turbo

First World Problems. indecision

sad-man.jpg

bigbuzuki:

Rc, what magnitude of losses will your business suffer if you go for the Carrera 4S?

Customers, if he parks outside his works....Smiley..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

throt:
    bigbuzuki:

Customers, if he parks outside his works....Smiley..

Yep. This may sound like nothing but I have mainly regular customers and word travels fast. Smiley

I can always find an excuse for a Cayenne but not for a 911.

--

spudgun:

First World Problems. indecision

sad-man.jpg

C'mon...who said this is a really important world problem? Smiley Like it says in the thread title...it is an itch.

The lack of PDCC is a huge problem for somebody like me, the Cayenne Turbo is a pretty heavy SUV and without PDCC is just feels and drives less agile.

--

@RC In your case I would go for the Cayenne Diesel S!

This car offers you the feeling you'll like the most (power due to it's very high torque), almost the same sound as the GTS (according to you own words) and how often are or will you be travelling at speeds higher than +200 km/h with that kind of car?? *For that purposes you have your PTS

Furthermore the maintaining costs will be half as much and especially in winter time you'll enjoy watching other cars at the petrolstations when you'll have still enough fuel for a couple more km left in your car!

Regarding the CTT, I would'nt go for it without PDCC, this system was basically made for heavy cars (SUV or Limo) and then put into sportscars.

Regarding the GTS, that car is marginally faster than the CDS, ok it'll be faster than untill 200 km/h, so what, in real life that's ridiculous and won't make a huge difference

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752889 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430555 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258516 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255426 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5251 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868156 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801709 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM