Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I tested 6 different sports car in a row

I had a wonderful time today . I had the chance to be invited to an event, with about 14 other people to play with 8 different sports car during the whole day . We had an old air field just for ourselves  with different  small ' tracks'  ( big slalom, small slalom, straights, big fast curves )  and also enjoyed driving on the open roads around Interlaken .

The line up was :

2x  Mclaren MP4

1 x Ferrari California

1x Jaguar XKR

1x Maserati Stradale

2x Maserati Grand sport

1x Lamborgini Gallardo LP560

And here are my appreciations of each :

Grand Sport : a car for ..... non sports car fan or over 80's , nothing I liked about it, did not even take a pic, just horrible to drive  Smiley ( you can see them in the back of the first pic below )

Gallardo :

gallardo.JPG

it had an incredible sound and felt fast , but the gearbox was a let down ( you have to lift a bit your foot when changing gear in order that it it a bit smoother ) . I would not keep it on my list .

Stradale :

stradale.JPG

It has a very nice sound and the chassis suspension was actually very good . The car felt light through the fast slalom but the gear box was terrible ( so slow and it ' stops' in the middle of the changes )  You sit way too high in the car and overall I did not like this car at all. Quality of materials inside of the car are bad .

California

california.JPG

It is actually a nice car to drive , would be great on long distances. Great sound , exellent gear box, and easy to go fast with . But it's not a car for me. Too ' soft' .

XKR

XK R.JPG

This car put a grim on my face ! I was so surprised as I have always looked slightly down on them. It is no real sports car , but the engine is great ( about 520 hp ) , very nice sound of the V8 , the interior was superb in it's finish and quality of materials  ( this car was a Special Edition )   . Comfortable . I could easely use this one as a DD  , it was such a pleasure to drive . Then in the slaloms or fast curves, it does not really cope, but it did not matter . The car is not made to go fast in twisties , just fun with great accelerations.

Carrera :

Carrera s.JPG

I had a big fright with this one. I thaught at first that Porsche had definitly lost me as a Carrera customer. I tried the car first on open roads, and it was the most boring of all the ones I had tried before ( Jag, Lambo, California, ) . The inside ruins the 911 fell and this car was trying to be something it is not ( a comfortable GT ) .  We were  only 2 real Porsche fan at this event , and no one other liked the car ........ even worse so when they tried it on the air field ( that was different to me )  I don't think Porsche got this car right. They have tried too much to be like any other  sports GT and have lost the simplicity and purity of the 911 ( in looks inside and outside I mean  ) . 

But then when we did the fast slalom I discovered what a beast this 991 can be . I was faster by 10km/h ( 120 )  with winter tires on the carrera  ( the P was the only car equiped with winter tires ) then I was with the California for example  ( which had summer tires )  . It is so much easier to go fast , put the car in a slide , and the back is no longer as tricky ( if any of the trickyness was left on the 997 ) .  But then , most other guys could not drive the car fast as they all oversteered  and their comment was '' this is realy a s...it car ''  . Even my co-pilot, a guy that races a Radical could not be very fast with it and did not like the P and ended up in oversteers most of the time.

Porsche please keep the chassis of the 991 but please get rid of the Panamera inside and outside look Smiley

MP4

MP4  2.JPG

MP4.JPG

It took me 30 seconds of driving to be in love Smiley

What an amazing machine ( specially the black one , as it had a nicer inside and the dark color hides a bit the numbness of the exteriour look ) . I have never driven a car that had a front that was as sharp and precise !!!!!! Absolutly perfect !! And the power is amazing ( after 3000 rpm ) . The car is very easy to drive fast as the electronics just correct everything without you noticing anything so you actually think you are the king of the track Smiley

The negatives points : not enough torque under 3000 rpm, the buttons + air vent are cheap grey painted plastic , and the brakes feel a bit strange the first fraction of second when you hit them ... a bit like cold ceramic brakes , but they are steal .

It was by far the fastest car in the slalom and just such a pleasure to drive .  I want one now Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Re: I tested 6 different sports car in a row

Great comparison, thanks for sharing. kiss

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

5 star post Gnil! Smiley loved reading your comparative impressions, thannks for sharing them! kiss

what an unique oppportunity to compare them, must of been a dream day! driver.gif blush

--

Great comparisons direct and to the point on each car. You had an amazing chance to compare the cars on similar conditions and in such a short amount of time, that really gives you a sense of differentiation between them. Now all you need to do is get an MP4 smiley

A very interesting read.  Smiley

--

fritz

wait for the 991 GT3 and you'll have to grab the McLaren and that Jag again to direct compare.

Nice comparison, though I agree with your findings. I would say i've pretty much expected these results. Too bad the 991 had winter tires. It could be more sporty these days yes, I still don't agree with that Panamera interior.. they should have just made a 928 coupe for the GT customers and kept the 991 basic, sporty and faster than competition. I now wish for a basic Carrera R that slots underneath the base Carrera in price and comes with nothing but the basic elements. Oh how nice that would be...

Firstly, I hate you... smiley

Secondly, thanks a lot for sharing your experience! wink It must have been a great event. Very interesting to read your feedback and comparison on the cars. I am looking forward borrowing your MP4-12C when taking care of your future holiday home chalet...

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

Audi S5 cabrio in Ibis White with black leather interior.

What a great day you had and what an excellent comparison! Thanks for taking the effort posting it!

We just had the 991 for a day and I had the same feeling. Car is so "emotionless" than anything else I was driving before in this league (also the test car didnt had any extras beside Navigation and paddle-shift, means plastic dash, cheap seats, etc.). But - After one day I had to say that you hardly can go to the maxium range of this car. It sticks to the road like glue. And on my home-track smiley curvy and fast, I had to say I can go at much higher speed, much more easy and relaxed then with the 997. BUT - thats not what I want. I want to have the fun of feeling how fast I am! I want the fun of reaching the limit! When I returned it and went back to the 997 I didnt had not even for one second the feeling that my 997 is slower, dated or anything else. I was going the "home-track" again with my beloved 997 and had so much fun and emotions! So - I completely understand you judgement! The 997 seems to be a car with a perfect handling but its so perfect that they took the emotions out of it!

One car I miss in this selection - the SLS! We also had the SLS for a day and we really have been falling in love. My wife pushes strongly towards buying one - I hesitate as we have a small daughter which easily can sit in the Carrera and in the SLS it would mean we probably would use it together only for 1 or 2 weekends a year when she can go to the Grandma. BUT - drive the SLS my friend. The car is fast, the engine sound is probably the best I ever heard and on my "home-track" it was fast and full of emotions. Loving it!

The Mc-Laren.... definitely is also on my test list! I read a long article yesterday (I was flying back from India... 9 hours of reading Magazines... great:)). It seems the McLaren is the car we all would love. This car has only 2 seats, too - but it seems to be extremely fast and well engineered!.

I'm looking for a keeper..... The SLS would have the talent, but the McLaren for sure, too. Even though - the Mercedes would make maintenance and stuff much more easy, especially as the Affalterbach is apprx. 1 hour away from here.

Very good account of a beautiful experience for you kiss

IMO you should also have a 458 Italia as a comparison yardstick for the McLaren for a more definitive conclusion.

I am disappointed by your account of the 991 because I liked it a lot myself. Perhaps, you should wait for the GT3 before abandoning yes

--

"Form follows function"

Lars997:

BUT - drive the SLS my friend. The car is fast, the engine sound is probably the best I ever heard and on my "home-track" it was fast and full of emotions. Loving it!

+1

Drove an SLS for about 20 miles on public roads .. completely unforgettable experience. thunderous, lightning fast and comfortable!

Thanks for your comments 

@ Carlos and Emmanuel : Yes, it was a great fun and such a unique and rare opportunity to be able to test them all at once .

@ Atzporsche : yep, a more simple interior would suit the car better , as traditionally it has always been like that with the 911 . Now it tries to be like the others and well.... it is not of my taste

@ Bluelines : I'll exchange my MP4 only to your SLS indecision

@reginos : I have an eye on the GT3  and to be perfect it should of had a 458 and an SLS , but I think this line up was already fantastic , specially that we were only 14 people to drive and we had from 9 AM to 5 PM .

@Lars : I would love to try the SLS properly . Each time I see one I want it indecision

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I agree with most of your findings. Which is why we choose the California in red/tan:

best combo of fun and practical and uniqueness (you see 911 and jags everywhere in the places we spend the most time)...

great writeup....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

What a great day you had Gnil, thanks for the write-up. Of the cars there I've only briefly driven the 991 and California. Maybe because I'm no spring chicken so hard core wouldn't suit my taste, but without driving them all the California would be my choice. Smiley

--

Accountants are like fire and water, good servants but bad masters.

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

Gnil:

@ Bluelines : I'll exchange my MP4 only to your SLS indecision

Ok, it is a deal Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

was that the Credit-Suisse event ?

as to the SLS - I had a early SLS for 4 days and drove unforgettable 1000 km's with it around Swiss alps - even my wife loved it although she had to hold the door for closing while getting into the car yes- otherwise it would be out of her reach to grab the gullwing-doors , but she looooved to drive it. Now with used ones dropping heavily one of the best Price-value cars there out there - considering that we all probably drive turbo cars with 1.6 liters in the future I am too very tempted to tick that 6.2 Liter box in the near future kiss

BjoernB:

was that the Credit-Suisse event ?

Yes, it was . Did you pass on this oportunity ?

I would have to try the SLS on a track before I would decide to buy one, but it is highly on my list.

But, right now the nr 1 is the MP4 . I tried to look for 2nd hand ones yesterday but I can not find any in CH . This summer there were 2 or 3 to sell  with a big drop in price.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Damn.....- I passed - but a colleague of mine went - he was talking something about a Panamera as well and he had pretty much 1:1 the same impressions like you - I was surprised of how much he hated the Gallardo....

You have to try a SLS - seriously ! - put it to manual mode and hear it crackling and barking on downshifts - simply the best noise ever ! I have never driven a Mac - but I bet a SLS or 458 has much more soul to it. Check out used SLS - here in CH there are plenty. I have a friend that is deciding now between a TTS or a SLS - and despite that my brain sais TTS (4wheeldrive so u can use it in winters) my heart pushes him hard to get the SLS....(so we can switch if he wants a Porsch....smiley)

Gnil, there are currently 69 offerd on mobile.de. One is in Munich with 17'800Km's for €178'800.-. This would come to roughly Fr.208'000.-. I think this is not bad für such a car Smiley

Good we

Gregor

Gnil:

I would have to try the SLS on a track before I would decide to buy one, but it is highly on my list.

But, right now the nr 1 is the MP4 . I tried to look for 2nd hand ones yesterday but I can not find any in CH . This summer there were 2 or 3 to sell  with a big drop in price.

I found 10 MP4 on the Swiss Autoscout. Some new, some used. Unfortunately prices start at CHF 250k Smiley A big difference to the SLS where you get a 1-year old'ish with 10k km for CHF 100k less! Smiley Quite unbelievable, the SLS has dropped half it's new price in 1 year.

--

I agree with you BjoernB. The SLS sound is, at least in my ears, the very best V8 "noise" I've ever heard. Simply addictive! Smiley However, that being said, I find comparing the SLS to the TTS a bit daring. The Merc is really a BIG car. It is almost 20cm longer and 10cm wider.... On Swiss roads, particularly on the narrow ones in the mountains, I'd prefer the TTS over the SLS any time. Even though I'd be missin' the SOUND.

Btw, did I mention that I like the sound of the V8 in the SLS? Smiley Smiley

Cheers

Gregor

Gregor - dunno if you driven one - but despite the long bonnet it handles incredible nimble. (front-mid-engine) It's no GT3 for sure -but for public roads it will keep up with almost everything in reallife - and that with a spitfire-sound !  I would be much more worried in a Aventador...

Very interesting write up, thanks Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

Yes, I have driven one on two occasions. A friend of mine has a roadster and he let me take it for a spin a couple of months ago. Granted, I didn't take it over the Albulapass Smiley but it still felt quite big. I agree with you though on the performance, which is staggering. At least as long as the roads are not too narrow and winding, like the Maloja pass or the Stelvio e.g..

I have tried the 458 ( not in great road conditions , I admit ) but I much prefered the MP4 .

The MP4 has a very light front ( a bit like a Porsche )  and razor sharp.. sharper then the 458 . And that makes it much more likable to be me then the Ferrari ' soul' . Others at the event had the same impressions. I drove the MP4 like I stole it and it felt right immediatly . Another thing is .. I do not really want to own a Ferrari, unless it would be an F40 or Enzo... and there is not much chance this will ever happen indecision

I like track tools , so I would have to test the SLS on a track . I have no daught the sound is out of this world, but I need more then that , I actually would prefer to give up some good sound in exchange of good handling.

BjoernB : BTW , I am not linked to Credit Suisse in any way 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

It is interesting that you prefer the MP4 over the 458. Most find the 458 more exciting and enjoyable to drive. Have they changed the driving dynamics of the MP4 since the it was first introduced?

How well is this car doing on the resale market? Also, what about service issues?

--

kissMe neighter 

I would also take the MP-4 over an 458. The Ferrari lacks heavily on image (where I live)

Björn - we had the SLS Roadster to test and there you dont have the problem with the door. Also - you can hear that noise even better. 

Gnil - if you are that kind of 'tracky' the SLS might not be your car, it is more one of those roadsters - long hood middle engine feelings, it doesnt give you that light front end, that you like. Even though it sticks to the track (just see how they use it as F1 safety car).

nberry:

It is interesting that you prefer the MP4 over the 458. Most find the 458 more exciting and enjoyable to drive. Have they changed the driving dynamics of the MP4 since the it was first introduced?

How well is this car doing on the resale market? Also, what about service issues?

At the moment resale on Ferrari is as bas then on Porsche . 50% drop in  value for a 4 year old car . My friend wanted to sell his 3 year old 599 , the got $ 100K for a car he paid over $ 300 K 

The resale value of the MP 4 , for the moment, holds better . I don't know why  . Maybe because they are less of them and it is still a very exclusive car .

As to the drive of the 458/ MP 4, yes, many will prefer the 458 , mainly because of the sound  . But , at the end, between the two, it more of a preference then about faster/better 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

You don't buy a 599 (or similar) for 3 years only and then want to upgrade, unless you are hugely wealthy. In which case you don't mind the huge drop in order to satisfy your whim. If someone could marginally afford a 599 (or similar) it was very wrong decision, financially to buy one in the first place.

An automobile is the worst asset for depreciation so stick to what you can afford.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764601 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436654 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261118 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258026 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82689 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877014 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809112 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM