Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Goodbye 981S, hello ...

You are welcome wink

Yes, it is a very nice event. I have participated 5 times now. I think Gnil has been there 7 times. There are a few other Rennteam members who have been there too.

Overall the best track event I have been at kiss You get it all... safety training, section training, free driving, nice people, awesome cars... at the Ring!

The dates for next year are not set, but about the same time as this year. Although the fall session will probably be moved from October to September for 2013.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

Audi S5 cabrio in Ibis White with black leather interior.

can you guess the Spring 13 dates please?

bluelines:

Although the fall session will probably be moved from October to September for 2013.

They have confirmed the month for next year : May and September Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Now you have a GT3... you must go....kiss

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Well sir, I'm glad you pulled the trigger and went for this beautiful machine.. it's already a classic IMO, everything about it is amazing and especially in white it looks very sexy. Hope you didn't take a huge hit on the Boxy resale.. well better now than later, I approve of this move lol.

sfo:

can you guess the Spring 13 dates please?

This year it was Sunday, May 6 to Wednesday, May 9. In the previous years the spring session took place in May too, but I cannot remember the exact dates. I have sent a mail to one of the instructors to ask when the 2013 dates become available.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

Gnil:
    bluelines:

Although the fall session will probably be moved from October to September for 2013.

That is great news! Smiley Less freezing in the early morning Eiffel winds Smiley

--

John H:

Now you have a GT3... you must go....kiss

+1 Smiley

GTS owners are welcome too Smiley

--

Drove around 140 miles today ..

It's more amazing than I remember it. 

Amazing composure at all speeds, including town.

It's so incredibly quick -- look up, look down and the mph numbers have changed dramatically. Meanwhile, the noise from the back has gone from loud to nearly obnoxious :)    And the rear window vibrates ..

Much more raw, and much noisier than the 981S. But ..

the car is ALIVE .. it grabs your attention, and holds it completely. 

It is screaming out to be let loose on track .. I'll take it to Norway next June for Petrolhead Nirvana's Viking Tour.

First owner did 6500 miles, and original tyres still have 5mm thread all round .. it's never really been stretched 

Atzporsche:

Hope you didn't take a huge hit on the Boxy resale.. 

it was about 15% loss

Gnil:
    bluelines:

Sept works better for me, as I am on petrolhead nirvana tour in Norway in June:  http://www.petrolheadnirvana.com/driving-tours/viking/

Beautiful GT3 congratulations .  A drive in Norway is a fantastic plan !

--

911 Club Coupe, 72' 911 Targa 2.4 S, 12' Audi S4 Avant

Congratulations sfo - you've made massive jump from your already magnificent Boxster. Here's wishing you many exhilarating and safe miles with your new pride and joy. White is definitely the best colour for a GT3 as well as the latest Boxster. The painted rear centre console really lifts the interior compared with the nasty black plastic finish that comes as standard. Fwiw my local Porsche body shop has quoted £240 to paint mine, going to get it done. 

--

Accountants are like fire and water, good servants but bad masters.

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

dreamcar:

The painted rear centre console really lifts the interior compared with the nasty black plastic finish that comes as standard. Fwiw my local Porsche body shop has quoted £240 to paint mine, going to get it done. 

that's cheaper  than OEM!

post pics when it's done

Having personally taken the centre console out of my car. (to replace the geabox link cable) It's probably an hours work to remove & refit. I guess the painting cost is the expensive bit.

OT - took a test drive in 991S yesterday. Kind of wished I hadn't though - now need to figure out the best way to buy one. Makes my 997 C2S feel like an old nail.

Interestingly, rather than the sales guy demo it - they had one of the chaps from the Silverstone experience to properly show what it can do.

I'm deeply impressed.angel

--

C2S - Basalt/Black XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

Having personally taken the centre console out of my car. (to replace the geabox link cable) It's probably an hours work to remove & refit. I guess the painting cost is the expensive bit.

OT - took a test drive in 991S yesterday. Kind of wished I hadn't though - now need to figure out the best way to buy one. Makes my 997 C2S feel like an old nail.

Interestingly, rather than the sales guy demo it - they had one of the chaps from the Silverstone experience to properly show what it can do.

I'm deeply impressed.angel

We went direct  to the paint shop, our local dealer sub-con the work to a firm called F W Jesty, who are Porsche approved bodyshop. The process is after taking out the console it has to be primed to take the top coat, then sprayed, then "low bake" finished to cure it. They need the car for a couple of days. The only difference with the OEM painted console is the rectangular plate directly under the handbrake lever is trimmed with leather in the interior colour, rather than being painted. Thinking about whether to have this detail done or not.Smiley

I've yet to be offered a decent drive in the 991, bearing in mind your comments probably best that I haven't Smiley The very brief drive I had at Silverstone left me a bit underwhelmed, to be honest. Smiley I have broken off diplomatic relations with the sales department at our local Porsche dealer which is probably why I have not been offered a drive......Smiley

@ sfo : yes will post photos once I get the job done.Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    bridggar:

The only difference with the OEM painted console is the rectangular plate directly under the handbrake lever is trimmed with leather in the interior colour, rather than being painted. Thinking about whether to have this detail done or not.Smiley

agree 991 is stupendous .. I was so close to ordering one. changing to a 991S to my spec would have been less than the 7.2GT3 too. but the call of GT3 was too strong. Plus I will suffer less depreciation on the GT3.

If I was paying attention, I would asked for that to be painted yellow :)

OPC quoted £320 to paint the bucket seats belt vents .. apparently labour intensive to remove and refit. did not get it done as I thought of it too late.

Can't believe I've had my GTS for almost two years!... Can't wait for the 991 GTS to make an appearance. Will soon have to make a decision on what to get next.  Trouble is... I'm still in love with my current car and a GT3 is too raw to be my daily driver.

Itches, itches.... decisions, decisions...cheeky

--

Why do you need to make a decision on what to get next? Your GTS is brilliant so why change it... kiss

--

bluelines:

Why do you need to make a decision on what to get next? Your GTS is brilliant so why change it... kiss

+ 1 . There is nothing at the moment I would replace your GTS with . And in the near future there would only be the GT3 ( 997 or upcoming 991 that will probably be more comfortable then the GT3 997.2 as a DD , which was already a big step more comfortable as the GT3 997.1 ) or a Turbo ( 997.2  TTS , or upcoming 991 )

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I think nothing beats the Carrera S (or more the GTS) in real life if the car is used (almost) daily. The GT3 is not as comfortable ans has a lower ride height  and its fixed wings attract too much attention on a daily basis at work, shops etc. The Turbo is a superb ground covering machine but very frustrating in most countries where police take speeding very seriously.

The Carrera S/GTS is the sweet spot of the Porsche sportscar range IMO

--

"Form follows function"

John H:

Can't believe I've had my GTS for almost two years!... Can't wait for the 991 GTS to make an appearance. Will soon have to make a decision on what to get next.  Trouble is... I'm still in love with my current car and a GT3 is too raw to be my daily driver.

Itches, itches.... decisions, decisions...cheeky

I'm sure the derisory px offer you will likely get from your Porsche dealer for your magnificent GTS would make the decison about changing for you any way! Smiley

easy_rider has got it spot on right, choose the car you want, spec it perfectly and in great detail, collect it from the factory (which makes it even more special, believe me) and then keep it forever. Just what we should have done with our 06 Boxster S. Smiley

--

I agree Reginos. The GT3 even if the 991 will probably be more comfortable , will not be ideal as a real DD , but as a 2 nd car used regularly it will probably be ok ( trips, dives + track ) The Turbo could be frustrating in our countries ...

Keep the GTS John indecision

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

The Turbo could be frustrating in our countries ...

Guys, I keep reading statements as the one above. Do you really think a Turbo would be THAT much more frustrating around here then almost any other Pcar? Particularly if you mention the S/GTS as a good alternative? Isn't the risk of speeding just about the same in these cars? Or do you possibly mean something completely different as to why you consider the Turbo to be frustrating?

Gregor

Gregor:
    Gnil:

The Turbo could be frustrating in our countries ...

Guys, I keep reading statements as the one above. Do you really think a Turbo would be THAT much more frustrating around here then almost any other Pcar? Particularly if you mention the S/GTS as a good alternative? Isn't the risk of speeding just about the same in these cars? Or do you possibly mean something completely different as to why you consider the Turbo to be frustrating?

Gregor

I mean feeling the pull of the turbo . That's what's nice about the TT and just feeling this power only for a fraction of a second could be frustrating ( it is already in the Carrera S  to some extent , so it would just be even more so in the TT )

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Thank you Gnil. I'm getting your point now. As I'm still contemplating the 997.2 TTS, I'm anxious to learn as much as possible about the car. Good or bad Smiley

The Carrera S engine when cruising, doesn't start getting "full" until 130-140 km/h in 7th gear. Unfortunately, this is beyond the speed limits in all countries except Germany. At the 120-125 km/h speed limit the engine is hardly above tickover. This is why some people prefer the 991 Carrera to the 991 S because the driver feels the engine working at lower speeds.

In a Turbo the analogous speed is 160+km/h, which is in the region of losing your license among other penalties.

I haven't driven the TTS but the 997.2 TT with PDK, that I have experienced,  is a fantastic express and a good value for money considering it can compete with cars costing 50% more. Subject to the above proviso.

--

"Form follows function"

@ Bluelines, Gnil, Reginos, Dreamcar....

Thanks for your input guys - it brought me to my senses...!  cool 

I now regard the GTS as a keeper - I think I always did really... it's just that all this talk about 'itches needing scratching' was becoming contagious..

--

John H, we all suffer from these itches indecision The doctor recommends a spirited drive on your favourite back road as a quick and efficient cure indecision

To me the GTS is the best 911 available. It does it all... and it does it well! kiss Pushing the limit for sportiness without sacrificing daily use. 

--

Got a price on my 997.1 S and was quite pleasantly surprised. 

Itch - itch - itchity itch.....

--

C2S - Basalt/Black XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759997 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433998 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259830 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256976 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80639 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5309 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870882 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805982 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM