Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Porsche 918 Spyder: Behind the Scenes at the Nürburgring...

Porsche 918 Spyder: Behind the Scenes at the Nürburgring -- Article Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Marc Lieb 7th picture from the bottom.

dxpetrov:

just tweeted:

CEO Muller sez 918's 7:14 'Ring lap can go lower. "If we are lucky, it will be under 7 minutes, but I don’t know, we’ll see…”

Now that sounds awesome and even more appropriate for that car! Smiley

Spyderidol:

Marc Lieb 7th picture from the bottom.

Guess the guy standing next to him is even more prominent. Smiley

I don't know. He seems to listening intensively to what Marc has to day. 

I hope the nav is better than the rubbish on the 991.  

I think that new steering wheel will filter down to the cheaper models in due course - minus a few buttons!

With every picture I love this car more. It may even outdo the CGT as my all time favorite car.

I just really enjoy how open and enthusiastic Porsche is going about the development of this car. Sure it's some free marketing but you have to appreciate this open approach because as far as I know, no other supercar has ever been publicly developed before. I really appreciate it because it puts Porsche on top of the pure sports car list again. I hope this car will hit under 7min at the NBR and still be the greenest thing out there! What an achievement that would be.

boytronic:

I hope the nav is better than the rubbish on the 991.  

I think that new steering wheel will filter down to the cheaper models in due course - minus a few buttons!

atleast 991 owners are getting an update, unlike us in the 997.1 they don't care about us anymore Smiley

Another first ride:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/01/2014-porsche-918-spyder-deep-dive-review/

"Before jumping in, Porsche made it very clear that the early cars (more than two dozen prototypes have been built since June of this year, including a few testing in Death Valley as you read this) are only about 80-percent complete on the exterior, and 70-percent finished mechanically. Our task was to overlook the misaligned panels, zip-tied 911 taillamps, parts-bin exterior mirrors and temporary headlamps and absorb the driving experience while strapped snugly into a six-point harness in the right seat.''

If anyone had any doubts about this car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFNIqxTT_mw&feature=youtu.be&a

"Porsche 918 Spyder: a Ride In Porsche's Hybrid Hypercar" -- Chris Harris On Cars

"What would it be like if it weighed 1,200kg and was unencumbered by all that electric gubbins?"

Ah, the old 'ride' story. The staple of many a UK car manufacturer and car magazine, and something that appeals to me about as much as scoop of Bovril in the rice pudding. I have never understood why journalists allow themselves to be persuaded to review a machine from the wrong seat - borrow someone else's ears to review a hi-fi, anyone? - but it happens.

I make two exceptions. The first, naturally, is the Group B rally car - as delivered earlier this year. The second is a glimpse at something so new that perhaps any kind of exposure to it, even the misery of riding pillion, might just be worthwhile.

The Porsche 918 Spyder fits into this category.

A Porsche, the 'ring and Harris in the passenger seat...

From what I've seen of it, the 918 does very little for me as a hypercar. That's right, it's a Porsche I don't much care for, despite the fact that it's starting to look very attractive indeed. Of course I have immense admiration for what Porsche is trying to achieve with the project, but whichever way I approach the car, I always reach the same conclusion: what would it be like if it weighed 1,200kg and was unencumbered by all that electric gubbins?

This is of course a pathetically limited view of a project that aims to find a sustainable, justifiable space for sports cars in the future. But right now, I want to drive an RS Spyder race car with number plates and no amount of lithium ion batteries seems adequate compensation.

So really I went along to see if I could get excited about a car that weighs 1,700kg.

The video covers much of the emotional response to the car, and there's some good chit-chat with project boss Frank Walliser, but the problem with reporting the technical side of the 918 is that there's just so much to cram into the space - and these bits are supposed to be a short taster for the video itself. To keep you fully informed you can download the full press pack (here in pdf form) we were supplied on the day here so you get all the numbers and stats on what is, even in the eyes of this devout flat-earther, a quite remarkable engineering project.

"Porsche 918 Spyder: a Ride In Porsche's Hybrid Hypercar -- CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS"

"Porsche was testing the 918 at the Nurburgring, they invited us to take a quick ride on the road, not on the track sadly. I normally hate these shotgun features, unless they involve Group B cars, but the 918 needs some understanding..." -- Chris Harris

Porsche 918 Spyder: a Ride In Porsche's Hybrid Hypercar -- CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS -- Drive Video Link

Porsche 918 Spyder: a Ride In Porsche's Hybrid Hypercar -- CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS -- PistonHeads Article Link

Porsche 918 Spyder: a Ride In Porsche's Hybrid Hypercar -- CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS -- Full Press Pack

...thanks and all due respect to Chris Harris!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Does anyone have any idea what Porsche's plans are for the 918 RSR?  With all the recent focus on the roadcar, the RSR seems to have disappeared from view.  (I was just reminded of it while watching a Megafactories programme on Williams which included footage of the KERS system supplied to Porsche for the 918 RSR).

I don’t think anything is in fact planned for the 918 RSR. The car does not fit into any of the ACO/FiA GT classes so the only way that we can ever see this car on the track is if Porsche request that the car be entered as an experimental entry and thus not be eligible for points. (Like they did for the GTR Hybrid). However, I don’t see what Porsche will gain from that, as they already have a tremendous amount of flywheel data from the GTR Hybrid experience.

Also - I suspect that Porsche motorsport is now concentrating heavily on the LMP1. The development of the LMP1 will absorb a tremendous amount of Porsche Motorsport's resources and time.

Also - I am very interested to see if the Flywheel system will in fact be used on the LMP1. (please note Toyotas success with Non- flywheel system).

Porsche 918 Spyder with Walter Röhrl at the Nürburgring...

Porsche 918 Spyder with Walter Röhrl at the Nürburgring -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

TG first ride in the Porsche 918 Spyder...

It takes petrol. Regular unleaded petrol, not rocket fuel, essence of nuclear fusion or any other explosively exotic high octane cocktail. This is both reassuring and a little disappointing. It's good to see that the Porsche 918 Spyder can live and breath in the same automotive atmosphere as every other car, but at the same time, you want it to be so advanced that it basically defies every Newtonian law. You want it to be an anti-gravity speed machine, an X-wing fighter of a car, so it's initially a bit disappointing to see a regular fuel nozzle jabbed into its flank. 

There is a difference, though. This fuel station is in the pitlane of the Nurburgring, and Porsche is here to see how fast an unfinished prototype can travel round the Green Hell (a day later it manages a ridiculously rapid 7m14s).

We're here to learn a bit more about the 918, chat to the people involved and, later, to have a ride in the car itself. Not around the circuit unfortunately, but, perhaps equally informatively, on the public roads nearby. 

Fuelling is finished, and the 918 creeps away from the pumps silently. Safe to say, it's less quiet when the 4.6-litre racing-derived V8 is up and running. The monochrome Martini livery of this one may be subdued, and the detailing is decidedly unfinished with light clusters that don't fit the holes in the bodywork, but nevertheless the 918 looks suitably exotic.

It's the exhausts exiting out the top of the car that strike you first. How the hell did Porsche get away with that? "Well, it wasn't a design decision", Frank Walliser, the man in overall charge of the 918 project, says, "The idea came about from the heat. The cooler it is in the car, in the area of the battery, the better. So if you have the hot air on top of the engine and the cool air underneath, that will benefit the battery. So we did it as a technical idea. Then we went to the studio and said the designers, ‘can we?', and they said ‘wow, that's cool'. And then we saw the rules and homologations guys and after four weeks of checking they came back and said it's not a problem. No-one has done it before and therefore there was no regulation against it."

Given the amount of air flowing over the car, compared to what goes through the engine, that extra hot air the exhausts throw at the rear wing gives only a negligible aero benefit. But what you can see are the sooty stains from the exhausts running over the body and discolouring the paintwork. "That's why we do testing," Walliser tells me, before going into the intricacies of how you develop a paint and top coat that isn't susceptible to exhaust fumes.

Of course, Porsche is a company that puts effort and attention into everything it does, but never more so than with this car. Reading between the lines, it's clear that this hybrid plug-in technology will filter down from the 918 into a broad spectrum of cars across the entire VW Group portfolio. You've got to assume that Porsche isn't paying for the 918's development alone, and that VW is chucking cash at the project to make it work properly. As Walliser says, "the biggest value of the car is what the engineers are learning every day".

It's been a steep curve. The 918 has 55 on-board computers and there are 40,000 data labels that define if the drivetrain is working correctly. If one isn't - just one of 40,000 remember - the system shuts down. Walliser admits that getting it to work has been even more complicated than the most pessimistic engineer anticipated.

In reality, this technology isn't entirely cutting edge. Unlike the Vauxhall Ampera, this isn't a range extender hybrid where the wheels are always driven electrically and the combustion engine serves to charge the batteries. This is a super sports car first, an electric car second. 

But the 918 had to happen from scratch. Walliser admits that although they learned a lot about drivetrain management from the Panamera and Cayenne hybrids, in terms of carry over parts there are just two, "one of the control units and the crest on the bonnet". The problem is that the carbon-tubbed, motorsport-engined, racing-suspensioned 918 bears actually no relation to existing products.

So, with - as Walliser knows off the top of his head - 367 days until it goes on sale, what's the 918 Spyder like? Three main things strike you: firstly, how much acceleration the electric motors alone are capable of delivering. Secondly, how shockingly loud the V8 is after the electric silence, and finally the ridiculous cornering grip and how tight a line it can hold. 

This is very much a development car - one of the two performance prototypes (there are 20 others running around the world doing hot and cold weather testing, emissions and the like). inside is a profusion of wires and extra testing systems, and the initial impression is how low you sit in it.

We creep silently away from the circuit, before jetting away from a roundabout at hot hatch velocity, but with no apparent noise apart from a distant, almost imperceptible whine from the electric motors. It's an odd sensation because, aside from the Tesla or the electric SLS, we're simply not used to electric cars generating much acceleration or being at all sporting. 

Modes are selected via a stubby lever on the dash, while paddles operate the double clutch gearbox. We turn off on to a country road and the 570bhp V8 erupts into life. It's not a particularly pleasant noise at the moment - tuning the note and increasing the sound deadening are still on the to-do list - a flat blare that hurls into your ears and makes it hard to concentrate on anything else.

Apart from the acceleration. Because even though this smallish supercar weighs close to 1700kg, it has a combined power output of, well, Porsche isn't exactly sure yet, but over 785bhp. 

It's smooth in its delivery, with no sudden spikes, but does it ever force you into your seat. I swear you can feel the influence of the electrics, too, smoothing out the slight peaks and troughs that you'd expect in a naturally aspirated internal combustion engine. It's a feeling not unlike turbocharging. You can also sense the 4wd at work, not for grip, but more the balance of the car through corners - the front wheels seem to stay locked solid on their chosen line.

And that's about it. We've gone about 10km, and my time is up. But one thing seems clear: the 918 Spyder does detectably feel and drive like a Porsche. Even at this stage there's a sense of real engineering integrity. As Walliser points out to me when I clamber unsteadily back out of the car, "you see what I mean? This shows what Porsche can do in total. As a melting down of everything into one car, this is the essence of the total technology of Porsche."

Porsche 918 Spyder -- First Ride -- TG Article Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

"2014 Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid Ride-Along" -- Inside Line

"Porsche Is Reinventing the Supercar"  --  by Chris Harris

(2 October 2012)

"This passenger ride in Porsche's soon-to-be supercar is not conducted on the Nordschleife, but on the public road. We buckle in and cruise out of the famous T13 Industry Pool gates onto the street in silent electric mode. It's a clever trick because it demonstrates something absolutely core to an appreciation of the 2014 Porsche 918 Spyder.

If you can drag yourself away from the fact that its raw numbers aren't as mesmerizing as perhaps we'd hoped, once you creep away from a roundabout and hit 80 mph in complete silence, with the rev-counter needle hanging limply over its dial, you realize this really is something completely and profoundly new.

In pure electric mode, the 918 will hit 93 mph and run for 15.5 miles. You have to experience the otherworldly silence and serenity of this kind of departure to begin to understand what Porsche is trying to achieve with this car.

In a world where noise and flamboyance don't necessarily engender good feelings in your fellow human beings, the 918 cuts an entirely new character: It looks like it just left a racetrack, but it glides like a Tesla. Only not for as long.

We Ride Again

Back in March we were invited to Nardo for a brief ride in some rolling 918 powertrain test beds. Today at the Nürburgring we will be riding in three of the 20 prototypes that are littered around the planet with German people trying to break them.

These cars are running the carbon tub, the correct engine and carry the lithium-ion batteries. They are in no way production ready, but given that Porsche intends to begin production a year from now, we can be sure that the final specification will not be profoundly different.

More details of the 918's raw numbers are now filtering into the public domain, most memorably a combined power output of 795 horsepower, of which 580 hp comes from a new V8 that shares no components with the LMP2 RS Spyder motor.

The performance claims are understandably strong: zero to 60 mph in under 3 seconds and zero to 125 mph in under 9 seconds. Just don't mention the Porsche 911 GT2 RS, which is probably nearly as fast for one-fifth of the money.

But you really can't take this attitude into the cabin of the 2014 Porsche 918 Spyder — to do so is to build an impregnable barrier between yourself and some of the most interesting vehicle engineering seen in decades.

Really Worth It?

I will at this point show my hand: I am a 918 skeptic.

I see the point of the experiment and I understand the reasons for investigating alternative forms of propulsion. I'm just not sure a Porsche hypercar is the correct home for them — especially when the performance of the car is so obviously hindered by the weight of the hybrid components.

I present the argument against the 918 in its current form by asking a simple question: Who wouldn't prefer a 918 that weighed 2,200 pounds and had a 600-hp V8? Everyone I have asked prefers the simple approach.

But the project was unveiled in 2010 and the boss as the time, Dr. Durheimer, pledged to build the car as a hybrid and under the new boss Mr. Hatz, they are doing just that. The price will be $845,000.

It's a massive undertaking involving a completely new carbon tub with a rear structure also fabricated from the same CFRP (carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic). The powertrain consists of a 95kW hybrid module at the rear axle and an 85kW motor for the front wheels. The calibration exercise to make these support and work independently of the gasoline V8 is vast and ongoing.

It is perhaps this exercise that defines the 918 and draws even skeptics like me into the project. Above any other car company, Porsche has form in this field: The 959 was viewed as an inferior driving device to Ferrari's F40, but 12 years later Porsche was producing a volume sports car, the 996 Turbo, whose specification was very similar to the 959.

Its experimentation had been worthwhile. Accordingly, the 2014 Porsche 918 Spyder previews a new world of electric-hybrid sports cars. Right now, that concept still terrifies me.

I think it still terrifies Porsche, too, and that's why it is so keen to squeeze us in among the cables and gaffer tape to sample hybrid propulsion in a very high-performance car.

An Evil Side

The main trouble with electric drive, as we all know, is that the lack of noise not only robs a car of personality, it releases a squalid orchestra of noises normally suppressed by pistons and connecting rods. This being a development hack, we can't judge the thing in such terms, but it's notable that the thing doesn't rattle and squeak the way I'd expected.

The ride quality is supple — much more absorbent than expected — and the nose bobs like a Boxster's. Just as I'm wondering what spring rates a 3,747-pound carbon-tubbed supercar needs to run, Holger Bartels, the calibration guru behind the last few GT3s whispers over the silence, "Now we try Sport Hybrid mode."

He twiddles the large rotary dial on the right-hand-spoke of the steering wheel and instantly a hard blare of flat-plane V8 crashes into the cabin.

Again, it defies categorization because I've never before trundled along using electric motors and then had what is best described as a racecar engine suddenly join the party.

The noise is all racecar: high-pitched, yelping, energetic. Holger pins the throttle in a manner I probably wouldn't, given the value of the machine and the width of the road, but I remember being told a few years back that his driving standards match his calibration skills, so I sit back and try to learn something more about this strange machine.

Does it feel fast? Of course it does. We're a long way from a finished relationship between electric and fossil-fueled drive, but already it feels seamless — Holger's job is to have electricity support the V8's paucity of low-end power, then allow the engine to sing to 9,000 rpm. It all works through a seven-speed PDK gearbox derived from the 911 Turbo, but flipped upside down and around enough to mean it's effectively new.

The idea is that drivers will control the 918 through wheel, pedal and paddles just the way they would a 911 Turbo. The complex interaction of various ECUs will control everything else. It's the most complicated calibration exercise ever undertaken for a road car, so I'm forced to ask an appropriately adult question:

"Will you be able to turn the ESP off and do massive skids?"

"Of course," says Holger with a reassuring grin.

Complicated and Clever

There are five driving modes: E-Power, Hybrid, Sport Hybrid, Race Hybrid and Hot Lap. The first and third we've just covered. Normal Hybrid exists to maximize fuel efficiency in normal driving using the gasoline engine, whereas Race Hybrid uses a faster gearshift, deploys the active aerodynamics for maximum downforce and uses the engine to charge the batteries in short, intense bursts. The Hot Lap function builds on this by depleting the battery to empty for short periods.

It's all exceptionally complicated and clever. For example, the active aero closes the front air intakes in the first two modes to reduce the drag figure, but the closed slats would look funny when parked, so they always whirr open when you shut down.

It's a sad reflection on the market's obsession with electric motors that the 4.6-liter internal combustion engine in this car is almost a forgotten component, and yet it is mouthwatering in its compactness and performance.

Project leader Frank Walliser recalls sending the specification of the crankshaft to the supplier and receiving an e-mail asking which racecar it was to be used in.

V8 for the Ages

The difference in weight between the engine and the gearbox is just 35 pounds, the engine being the heavier of the two at 309 pounds. With so much electrical power available for auxiliary use, the engine is beltless and frankly tiny.

It revs to 9,000 rpm thanks to titanium rods and all manner of mechanical trickery: low-pressure casting on the crankcase and cylinder heads, a lightweight crankshaft and the entire intake system made from carbon fiber. Specific output is 126 hp per liter, where the Carrera GT's V10 was 106 hp per liter.

And those signature exhausts? They exit up top for a good reason: keeping the inner gizzards of the engine bay as cool as possible.

In some respects it's the engine that I keep coming back to in this car. The adjectives I find myself using to describe the cleverness of the hybrid drive system are all founded in notions of respect. But the engine is something else — to the point that it simply underlines my frustration that I will never know what it would be like in a package that weighed 2,200 pounds.

Don't Miss the Point

The 2014 Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid is a technology showcase like nothing else we've seen before. It has already lapped the Nordschleife in 7 minutes, 14 seconds, thanks in part to a new Michelin tire that is far stickier than the wider rubber fitted to the Carrera GT, all the while offering the rolling friction of something you'd expect to find on a Prius. Every detail of the car has been optimized. The manpower being thrown at the project is mind-bending.

You can't fail to admire Porsche for not doing the obvious thing — knocking out a simple sport coupe would have been kindergarten stuff compared to the 918. It has knowingly given itself an almost impossible set of targets and it surely knows that many voices will simply compare the 918 to conventionally powered machines and dismiss it as too heavy and not fast enough.

They, and perhaps I, will in many ways be missing the point of the 918."

"Porsche 918 Spyder: a Ride In Porsche's Hybrid Hypercar -- CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS"

Porsche 918 Spyder: a Ride In Porsche's Hybrid Hypercar -- Chris Harris On Cars -- Drive Video Link

...thanks again and all due credit to Chris Harris!

Smiley SmileySmiley

In the video the Porsche engineer clearly says if the electronics were removed the 918 would be lighter than the CGT. So the 1700kg has nothing to do with safety regulations. :)

Yes but he mentioned also that you will be slower if all the hybrid components are removed... :-) 

What watches were they wearing..?  I think Chris Harris's is a Rolex GMT?  And the engineer's>  A Tag?

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Perhaps Tudor?

Budster:

What watches were they wearing..?  I think Chris Harris's is a Rolex GMT?  And the engineer's>  A Tag?

Ha ha, great minds think alike. Smiley

I think Harris wears a Submariner, but I have no clue about the other one. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

wonder if that flat V8 makes its way to a GT3 RS someday - sort of the route that Ruf has taken

Porsche 918 Spyder road testing in San Francisco...

Porsche-918-Spyder_SF-Bay_01.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_SF-Bay_02.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_SF-Bay_03.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_SF-Bay_04.jpg

Porsche-918-Spyder_SF-Bay_05.jpg

...thanks to "maxboxa" for the photos!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Is it just me or does the front really appears like a Ferrari look?

Also - as much as I love to see all those pictures its kind of a pity that once the final product arrives in two years from now, everyone is used to the look and it will take the exclusivity away yes

Headlights will be different, totally. 

--

sportcars-history.com

Every time I see those dirty exhaust areas, I think Porsche needs to redesign them.

Lars997:

...as much as I love to see all those pictures its kind of a pity that once the final product arrives in two years from now, everyone is used to the look and it will take the exclusivity away yes

I couldn't aagree more - how can it possibly take another 2 years?

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

1 Year.

In final cars there will not be such a problem. After finishing the drivetrain they will start to work on exhaust, changing its sound and flow. Its not ready at this moment.

--

sportcars-history.com

Lets see the final car at the start and then we will be ready to discuss its design and how it looks.Smiley

--

sportcars-history.com

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690515 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409771 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256030 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235280 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858447 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774732 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM