Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Why you have the dealer do nothing to the exterior before ..

As many have said before, have the dealer do as little as possible before delivery to the exterior of the car. When I received my 997, I was lucky. No swirls anywhere and to this day there may be one small fine scratch.

I just got a new black Audi A3 from Rusnak Pasadena who handles Porsches, Bentleys, Rolls Royces and Audis. I got the car one week ago and today is the first day where we have had sunshine in a week. I saw the A3 at noon, swirl and rotary buffer swirls everywhere. They waxed the car before delivery! They had four other black cars they were delivering at that time (2 Porsches, 1 Bentley, 1 Audi). I can just imagine how those cars are.

If you can, make sure your dealer does as little as possible before delivery or else you will be sorry.

Re: Why you have the dealer do nothing to the exterior befor

This is getting me worried.

I am taking the delivery of a new black 997 next week. What should I tell the dealer then? Just a wash but no wax? Should I do the wax myself later then?

It's 6 dozen of one and half dozen of the other Have them do it, then do a swirl removal detail(if necessary) to get anything out when you get it. Or, you hassle with it yourself when it arrives with all the plastic and adhesive stuff all over it. Same amount of work and maybe less with them doing it, the way I see it anyway. Either way you get a perfect car, depending on your level of analness

Quote:
    vtrader said:

If you can, make sure your dealer does as little as possible before delivery or else you will be sorry.

Well, that fact that you had a bad experience certainly doesn't mean the rest of the world will! If you're that worried, go and check out a black car that is being delivered or that is on the showroom floor. Last summer I saw a black '00 cab that my dealer had detailed for delivery, parked outside in the sun, and you'd swear the car had been hermetically sealed since '00.

If you are in the Midwest and want your car done right, PM me. I know a full detail there is under $200.

Anyone know any good detailing place in southern california?

Dealership detail shops are almost always a bunch of flunky hacks, and it never improves, because the management and principles at most dealerships are numbnutzes as well when it comes to proper detailing and workmanship.

I always tell them to wash it, and then leave it ALONE. I do the first full detail MYSELF.

If you're totally clueless when it comes to the art of detailing, well...... then you probably wouldn't notice the difference anyhow, so you shouldn't care about any of this.

Bottom line, do it yourself, or ask friends who seem to have a handle on good paint upkeep to recommend a private detail shop.

wangt1015 you have a PM

Not wanting to worry you but this WAS to be my black 987S - you can guess what i told them to do with it !

This pic was after it'd been revalleted and been given a full Zymol treatment by the Porsche approved bodyshop. I feel sorry for the muppet who eventually bought this car

Quote:
    wangt1015 said:
    Anyone know any good detailing place in southern california?

Sent you a PM

If any of you hang around the Autopia forum much, you'll have noticed that this is regular advice to all the people that mention they're getting a new car.

I recently walked around my local Porsche Centre and there wasn't a single swirl free car in there.

It's not just polishing and waxing that you should avoid them doing though, it's washing too. They're washing cars with dirty old sponges, in a circular motion which is just scratching the car's surface all over. Then they're drying the car with a leather which just makes me wince.

If you want your car swirl free then you should insist it's delivered just as they receive it and do the preparation work yourself, or hand it someone who knows what they are doing. I believe some people have drawn up written agreements to ensure this happens, to the extent that if the car has been touched they have the right to reject it.

It might sound extreme, but a scratched brand new car is extreme too in my mind.

most light swirl marks are caused by clothes and sponges..

dust will cause them....
    in fact its hard to get the light ones out as the more you try to remove them the more they appear!

its rather like polishing cds. you will always have fine marks on them which you can see at certin angles, aslong as there not visible from direct view there not really a problem..

my 987s also has some swirls. nutin i can do abt it.

funny thing was that my m3 was black but it wasnt as easy to get swirled on. could it be that porshce paint is pro-swirly?

Since I've seen the dealers prep center I have no problem with them doing the work. However, I'm dropping off a 32oz bottle of Menzerna P085RD which is a very fine polish made in Germany for harder clearcoat called "Ceramiclear" by BASF or PPG. Polish was made spec for MB and Maybach.

This is also a black 997 C2S that they will view and if needed, use the Menzerna. After, the Armorglove goes on, then a coat of Zaino or two before I pick it up.

I've instructed that they use the two bucket meathod with sheepskin mits and dry with waffel weave MF towel all being provided by me. The finish will be clayed after wash then polished if needed.

If you have access to a Porter Cable (PC) polisher and some light foam polish and finish pads, then by all means do it yourself. I am an active member over at Autopia and have had a detail business prior. Doing it yourself is more rewarding in my view if you have the time, location, materials and experience.

My car is just about finished and should be at Checkpoint 8.

Enjoy your car and take the time to prep and maintain the finish!

Regards,
    Deanski

Quote:
    Deanski said:
    This is also a black 997 C2S Regards,
    Deanski

Deanski-I know that we swapped some PMs on detailing the black cars. I just did mine with some of the FK1 products.

Came out very nice. Looks like a black mirror

I am planning to collect my car from the Factory in Stuttgart - am I likely to suffer some swirl marks? I would hope not!

Nice pic of the C2S with FK1! I see you changed the side markers as well. Looks very nice and wet.

Enjoy you new toy!

Regards,
    Deanski

Thanks, Deanski!

Easy Rider-I think some swirls and/or spider webbing is inevitable. Especially on the darker colors. Just need to work with different products and stay on top of them.

A very interesting thread as I'm on my third black car in a row. I didn't find BMW paint any better than Porsche. In fact I found it more prone to chipping. My 997S seems to be more resistant to chipping than my 996 but I have no answer to baked on mediterranean flies! Leave them on 2 days on hols and they are there for the duration. So I just wash it and drive it. The dealers here normally paint the front anyway when you trade them in so is it really worth the effort? A bit like RC really. Although I don't use a car wash.

Car is still in Germany, but today I dropped off one 32oz bottle of Menzerna P085RD and explained that they (detailers) at the dealership go and use the polish to get the "feel" of it. Once my car DOES arrive, they will use the Menzerna after first a two-bucket wash with sheepskin mits, a thorough claying of the finish prior to polishing.
    Once the Armorglove goes on, I will stop by and spend that part of the day to apply Zaino.

Anal? YES, but black is a bitch if not experienced in black finishes.

All I know is my car will be 100% perfect for delivery.

Regards,
    Deanski

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753230 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430789 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258626 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255489 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79536 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868379 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801963 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM