Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New daily driver

Traded in the good old Boxster (with some sadness Smiley) and the Audi A3 for an Audi S5 cabriolet Smiley

The car will serve as all-year-round daily-driver for the missus and as a weekend car for us both. We have been looking for a suitable all-rounder for some time and came to the conclusion that there is not much competition to the Audi S5. Four seater all-wheel drive cabriolets seem to be a rare combination. We considered the M3 but dismissed it due to the rear-wheel drive. Not keen on mounting snow chains in the winter when taking the car up the alps.

I was very impressed when we test drove the S5. It is well planted, feels very agile for it's size and has enough power when stepping on the loud pedal (0-100km/h is 5.4 seconds). The 7-speed dual-clutch gearbox is super quick and feels exactly like the PDK in behaviour.

The car is white with full black leather and 19-inch wheels. Other options are:

• Xenon adaptive lights
    • Audi music interface (iPod integration)
    • Bang & Olufsen sound system (550W and it sounds amazing compared to the 911 Bose joke)
    • Bluetooth phone interface
    • Keyless lock/start/stop
    • 3D navigation system
    • Sport seats (very comfortable!)
    • Side assistance (for changing lanes)
    • Park sensors with rear camera

I am picking the car up on Friday and will write a more detailed impression once we have done a few trips kiss

Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 10.28.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 10.29.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 10.30.08 PM.png

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

Re: New daily driver

although not a fan of Audis, the A5 convertible is one of the most elegant on the market.

Lovely !

Very nice ! I love the A5 line.

The S5 Cab is a very nice choice. Smiley The M3 Cab sounds great but feels very heavy. In winter time, it was pure horror for my wife, I had to add 50 kg of weight into the car's trunk, so she could actually drive up the road to our house. Smiley Horrible winter car.

Congratulations, I think you made the best choice for your needs. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Great choice! I agree, the versatility of that car is hard to beat. kiss

Very nice your Audi. It suits a woman but also a man, unlike other cabrios that are girlie.

Although, some magazines don't like Audi, because they don't find them involving or "driver cars", IMO in this class of car what matters is comfort, effortlessness and stability under all circumstances and weather conditions, qualities which all Audi have in abundance.

Enjoy the Audi kiss

--

"Form follows function"

Very nice choice indeed! I've always wondered though, why did they opt for the V6T in the convertible and chose the V8 for the coupe? It makes more sense the other way around imo...

Anyway, congrats! Ideal car for Switzerland!

bluelines:

may I say,... it seems, your are getting old...Smiley...Smiley...I am still addicted to BMW, but also share the others' sentiment about how nice the A5 range is...enjoy in good health !

Porker:

Very nice choice indeed! I've always wondered though, why did they opt for the V6T in the convertible and chose the V8 for the coupe?

V6T is lighter to offset additional weight of convertible platform?

Thanks everyone! wink

Oooh, nothing beats the excitement to pick up a new car indecision It is onsetting now... 3 days to go before all the papers are done and the car is ready.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

Audi S5 cabrio in Ibis White with black leather interior.

RC:

The S5 Cab is a very nice choice. Smiley The M3 Cab sounds great but feels very heavy. In winter time, it was pure horror for my wife, I had to add 50 kg of weight into the car's trunk, so she could actually drive up the road to our house. Smiley Horrible winter car.

Congratulations, I think you made the best choice for your needs. Smiley

Thanks! Smiley Yes, this was the very reason we did not opt for the M3.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

d997h:
    bluelines:

may I say,... it seems, your are getting old...Smiley...Smiley...I am still addicted to BMW, but also share the others' sentiment about how nice the A5 range is...enjoy in good health !

LOL! Smiley Let's put it this way, the person who ordered and owned the car before us is older Smiley I could not care less about those options, but they are there.

--

sfo:
    Porker:

Very nice choice indeed! I've always wondered though, why did they opt for the V6T in the convertible and chose the V8 for the coupe?

The V6T is replacing the V8. In the S5 facelift, which was recently released, both the cabriolet and the coupe is powered by the V6T. More torque, less weight, less CO2, less fuel consumption, etc. You get it... Smiley

The sound is certainly (a lot) better with the V8. The V6T has got a bit of 'vacuum cleaner' over it as most forced induction engines Smiley But it is responsive and has great low rev torque. I think this character suits the cabrio better than a high rev V8.

v6t.jpg

--

Yes, the facelift uses the supercharged V6 instead of the V8. Regarding fuel consumption, I guess both are not really on the frugal side if you use them properly... indecision

Ferdie:

Yes, the facelift uses the supercharged V6 instead of the V8. Regarding fuel consumption, I guess both are not really on the frugal side if you use them properly... indecision

Hehe, true Smiley

--

sfo:
    Porker:

Now the coupe is also V6 T. No V8 anymore. T = supercharged, not turbo.

--

"Form follows function"

You have obviously considered your requirements carefully and chosen an ideal solution to most of your needs..kiss

Just hope you don't miss the sportiveness of it's predecessor...  wink

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

You should have stored the Boxster for 20 years .  I am sure you will regret it when you will retire + it will probably be worth more by then ;-)

A pragmatic choice on the S5 . Congratulations !

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

You should have stored the Boxster for 20 years .  I am sure you will regret it when you will retire + it will probably be worth more by then ;-)

A pragmatic choice on the S5 . Congratulations !

Thanks! Smiley

Haha, yes you are probably right. If space was not an issue I might have kept it unregistered with a minimum insurance cover, but... 

It served very well for many years, got abused on Hockenheim, Dijon, LuK Baden-Baden, Anneau du Rhin and Nürburgring for several thousand of kilometres, countless alp passes and long trips across Europe. With the exception of a hiccup with the gearbox it performed flawlessly all this time and I find that very impressive, especially given all the modifications done. From this point of view it has given me so much back and it cannot be measured in monetary terms. A final good bye photo from the ring in fall colours:

2011-10-04 at 08-36-53.jpg

There might be a new Boxster in the future... who knows Smiley

--

John H:

You have obviously considered your requirements carefully and chosen an ideal solution to most of your needs..kiss

Just hope you don't miss the sportiveness of it's predecessor...  wink

Thanks! Smiley

Any possible lack of sportiveness should be compensated by the 911 Smiley

--

It's an excellent car! Congrats kiss

i'm also thinking about trading in the my Range Rover for something that I can still take skiing but equally enjoy touring in during the summer months. This could be the ideal solution for me too 

Good choice, bluelines. Good value imo too....

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Yeah baby! Headbang_Emoticon_by_d3monthesicko.gif

First impression: It is awesome! indecision

2012-08-17 at 16-21-51.jpg

--

Congrats dude kisskiss

Congrats, the V8 must sound great, seems like a great all round option.

J.Seven

V6 supercharged yes

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690515 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409771 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256030 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235280 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858447 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774732 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM