Crown

Forum - Thread

Carrera S powerkit (option code X51)

The option is back on the German web site so it can be ordered again.

I thought it's a good idea to gather the info about it in one place.

powerkit.jpg

--

There is no try. Just do.

Re: Carrera S powerkit (option code X51)

Description:

In sport, there's always room for a little improvement.

The 911 was born out of passion for the sports car. The source of this passion can be traced back to the Porsche Development Centre in Weissach. Here, our designers and engineers give their all to produce breakthrough after breakthrough, applying themselves with dedication, heart and soul, a love for detail and a desire to redefine the limits of supreme performance. The most recent accomplishment is the new Carrera S Powerkit, which is now available for the 911 Carrera S models (Type 991).

In plain figures, we have managed to increase power output from 294 kW (400 hp) to 316 kW (430 hp) and improve acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h by 0.1 seconds. The 911 Carrera S models with PDK¹ and SPORT PLUS button complete the sprint in an impressive 4.0 seconds. The fastest variant in the range reaches a top speed of 308 km/h.

To develop the Powerkit, a number of sophisticated measures were needed . The cylinder head intake ports have been reworked and given a polished finish. The stroke of the intake camshaft has been increased and the electronic engine management adapted accordingly.

The highlight of the Carrera S Powerkit is the newly developed variable resonance intake manifold with six plus one switchable valves. This innovation enables the system to switch between power- and torque-optimised geometries and deliver a boost in power output, particularly in the upper speed range. The extra heat generated by power increase is dissipated by an additional centre radiator.

Other components include the Sport Chrono Package with dynamic engine mounts, the sports exhaust system with two specially designed twin tailpipes and the titanium-coloured engine cover featuring inlays in carbon.

Never let it be said that power upgrades are all about the numbers.

911 Carrera S/911 Carrera S Cabriolet:
    Fuel consumption (in l/100 km) combined 9,7-8,7; emissions 229-205 g/km.

1) 7-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)

* The latest Porsche models are designed to operate on fuels with an ethanol content of up to 10%. Data determined for standard specification and in the NEDC (New European Driving Cycle) in accordance with the Euro 5 (715/2007/EC and 692/2008/EC) measurement method. The figures do not refer to an individual vehicle nor do they constitute part of the offer. They are intended solely as a means of comparing different types of vehicle. You can obtain further information about individual vehicles from your Porsche Centre.

Consumption figures were obtained on the basis of standard equipment. Special equipment may affect consumption and performance.

--

The power kit optimize the engine in three areas.

1. Intake manifold:
    - Newly developed variable resonance intake manifold with 6 plus 1 switchable valves.
    - Switch between power- and torque-optimised geometries.

intake manifold.jpg

--

2. Cylinder heads: The cylinder head intake ports have been reworked and polished.

cylinder heads.jpg

--

3. Camshaft: The stroke of the intake camshaft has been increased.

camshaft.jpg

--

The result:

X51data.jpg

--

And the engine torque and power graph compared to a standard 991 Carrera S:

X51graph.jpg

--

Cost of the Carrera S powerkit in Germany is 13804 euro (all prices including German VAT of 19%).

However, the powerkit includes the sport exhaust (2606,10 EUR) and the Sport Chrono (1594,60 EUR) so the actual price is 9603,30 EUR (or 8070 net price).

--

Thanks for all the info! kiss Good stuff!

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

Thank you! In an ideal world and in line with the competition, Porsche should have offered this engine + exhaust and SC on the Carrera S out of the box.

The extra net cost of €9.6K is too much IMO.

--

"Form follows function"

Porsche creates another must have option! heart

Shouldnt the S come with all of this anyway??? smiley

...I guess, pretty much for those interested in track days, this powerkit is an alternativ vs. a GT3 as it combines DD-with a track day ability. Though, I would assume some are really p...d, who have bought an "ordinary" S with some track day goodies and now, "5 minutes" after delivery, Porsche comes out with this kit.

For some of the new car owners in my neighborhood, the "S" will be sufficient to make a statement smiley as the base Carrera will be too "base" and the "S with the powerkit" is not in a position to visually enhance this statement...blush...that's Porsche Marketing at its best...

d997h:

...I guess, pretty much for those interested in track days, this powerkit is an alternativ vs. a GT3 as it combines DD-with a track day ability. Though, I would assume some are really p...d, who have bought an "ordinary" S with some track day goodies and now, "5 minutes" after delivery, Porsche comes out with this kit.

For some of the new car owners in my neighborhood, the "S" will be sufficient to make a statement smiley as the base Carrera will be too "base" and the "S with the powerkit" is not in a position to visually enhance this statement...blush...that's Porsche Marketing at its best...

No doubt "for free" along with some plastic exterior upgrades in an upcoming GTS SmileySmiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

Audi S5 cabrio in Ibis White with black leather interior.

First at all, I think that the Powerkit is reasonably priced for an option (just compare it to PCCB), especially since the sport exhaust and sport chrono are already included but I also agree that it should actually be a standard option. On the other hand, Porsche needs to make money from options, this has always been their "thing".

Do I need the Powerkit? This is a good question. For speed limited countries, I'm not so sure. The benefits of the Powerkit are mostly in the speed range above 160 kph. If I would live in the US, I would probably choose PCCB instead, unless I would want to track race the car on a regular basis.

I'm not a big fan of comfort options (like full leather and/or other leather options) on the 911. I would rather invest that money into performance options like PDCC+PASM and even PCCB.

Sometimes people don't seem to be aware that they put 10-15+ k into leather and comfort stuff but actually forget about PDCC/PASM or even Sport Chrono.

I mean c'mon, this is a 911, not a Panamera.  

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Yes, the power kit  is definitely better priced than in previous models thanks to the inclusion of PSE, Sport Chrono and Dynamic Engine Mounts.

If it is anything like the power kit on the 997.2 the character of the engine should be more eager and GT3-like. I think one feels this more than the actual 0.1 second performance difference. Hence I would tick the box for this reason, not for the better performance.

Having said that, a 991 with power kit, PDCC and PCCB should be an excellent track car, but still function perfectly well as daily driver.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

RC:

Do I need the Powerkit? This is a good question. For speed limited countries, I'm not so sure. The benefits of the Powerkit are mostly in the speed range above 160 kph. If I would live in the US, I would probably choose PCCB instead, unless I would want to track race the car on a regular basis.

For countries that speed limits are strictly policed and penalties are harsh, I've found that the 991 base is the better car. In the 120-160 km/h range the engine feels very full and alive, whereas the S, even the 997.2 with PDK, hardly feels moving below 160-170 km/h. Generally, it is more enjoyable to go faster with a  slower car than slower with a fast car.

I'm not a big fan of comfort options (like full leather and/or other leather options) on the 911. 

I love the plastic dashboards on Porsche sportscars. They look good and you avoid the hassle to treat the leather and worry about damage.

--

"Form follows function"

bluelines:

Having said that, a 991 with power kit, PDCC and PCCB should be an excellent track car, but still function perfectly well as daily driver.

Oh, oh, oh, I see someone knocking at his dealer's door...Smiley...

d997h:
    bluelines:

Oh, oh, oh, I see someone knocking at his dealer's door...Smiley...

Haha, more begging on my knees for a discount Smiley

I won't make a move until the 991 GT3 is out and the decide on a "sporty" 991 S or a 991 GT3 or simply keep the 997.2 S.

--

Christian, I fully agree with you.
    BTW, I would not reccomend basic Carrera to anyone since low rev torue is almost not there in comparison with Careers S.

That's the nice thing about it, that the engine is always full. It works harder and I don't know the effect on consumption, though.

Subjectively, the 3.4 is more pleasant at the speeds normal drivers do 95% of the time. Having said the above, I would still go for the S, in case I had regrets afterwards.

--

"Form follows function"

thanks very much for the info, especially the comparisons of KW and NM.

Powerkit's benefit is at the top end (above 6600rpm), so will not be appreciated much in day to day driving.

Most disappointing is that Powerkit's torque is less than standard from around 4100rpm to about 4900rpm, and from 6000rpm to about 6600rpm. There is very slightly more torque (would it even be noticeable) from around 2200rpm to 4000rpm, and from 5000rpm to around 5500rpm. Taken together, up to 6600rpm, the torque you gain is pretty much offset by the torque you lose. After 6600, it all becomes worthwhile, but how often would you go beyond 6600rpm?

Not worthwhile IMO.

Beyond the figures the previous PKs made the engine more eager even at lower rpm. As if the engine breathed more freely (which was the case most probably) and hence had a more free-revving nature.

The cost is substantial but reading the specifications Porsche modify many things to give these added 30HP. Most tuners would do a filter and ECU job and claim +10%.

--

"Form follows function"

Completely agree with sfo:"the torque you gain is pretty much offset by the torque you lose". That's exactly why I decided not to go for the powerkit.

Also RC is correct: the powerkit is good for autobahn speeds only. I am not going to pay almost 10.000euro for the engine feel (especially below 6000rpms).

Also when you add all the options, even if we talk about the driving options only, the cost of the car explodes.

Think about it... 3510.5 euro PDK + 4034.1 PDCC including -20mm Sport PASM  + 8508.5 PCCB + 14232.4 X51 powerkit + 3320.10 racing seats = 33605.6 euros!!!!!!! On a 102.436,00 € equals 136041.6 euro!!!

34K in driver's options is toooooo much IMO.

And the hard truth of the car's resale is that 99% of the possible buyers ask for PDK (not Sport Chrono or sport exhaust), navigation, electric&heated&ventilated seats, leather, park assist, sunroof, wheels and sound systems Smiley

A second hand car buyer doesn't want the maintenance cost associated with PCCBs and doesn't care at all about a powerkit that you don't see if you catch my drift... they would rather go for a used GT2, GT3 or mostly a Turbo because those look a little different.

--

Very good cost-benefit analysis.

That makes my 997.2 S with PDK, SC Plus, PSE and LSD  a bargain and ireplaceable for what it offers and how it goes.

--

"Form follows function"

Most 991 Carrera S are specced at around 130 to 135k EUR average, which is a lot of money in my opinion.

Porsche kind of lost control on pricing, I really think that the 991 is already too expensive. It is a wonderful car but the base model, the Carrera, should be priced under 85k EUR and the Carrera S under 95k EUR. I also think that performance options like PDCC/PASM and Sport Chrono should be standard for both models.

You can easily spec a 991 Carrera S to 150k EUR and even more, this is just insane.

I paid 65k EUR for a brandnew 993 Targa over 15 years ago and yes, it was a special price because it was last year's model but still...the current prices for the 911 are just too high.

I think some people will have some very bad surprises when the 991 GT3 and 991 Turbo show up, I won't even talk about the Turbo S. enlightened Hopefully I'm wrong.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

I agree with you RC (again Smiley). The S is 10.000 more than it should be. Probably that is Porsche's way to maintain exclusivity and also to make room for Panamera and a lower/entry car model.

About the GT3 and Turbo... there will be a price increase for SURE. The third turbo on the 991TT will cost money and cooling needs also to be increased. And about the GT3... we already know the starting price for the GT3 Smiley if we look at my cost analysis above. We just need to deduct the non-standard options for a GT3, like the PCCBs for example... I would bet the standard GT3 will be at least 121K (102K C2S + 14K X51 = 116K).. the GT3 should cost a little more (like 5K) than a C2S+X51 powerkit....

--

Gentlemen, that's exactly, why I am looking forward to the L.A. Motorshow and, hopefully, the arrival of the cayman turbo, because as you both rightly and indirectly pointed out the entry barrier for a track day toy has increased incredibly over the past decade (unless, one decides to venture into the used car market)...For the money one has to pay for a 991 S today, you could have bought a 996/997 GT3 in the past...

d997h:

Gentlemen, that's exactly, why I am looking forward to the L.A. Motorshow and, hopefully, the arrival of the cayman turbo, because as you both rightly and indirectly pointed out the entry barrier for a track day toy has increased incredibly over the past decade (unless, one decides to venture into the used car market)...For the money one has to pay for a 991 S today, you could have bought a 996/997 GT3 in the past...

A Cayman Turbo should be priced in the 991 price range, so don't keep your hopes up. Smiley

--

My P source confirmed what RC wrote above. Cayman Turbo will be more expensive then basic Carrera.

RC:

Most 991 Carrera S are specced at around 130 to 135k EUR average, which is a lot of money in my opinion.

Porsche kind of lost control on pricing, I really think that the 991 is already too expensive. It is a wonderful car but the base model, the Carrera, should be priced under 85k EUR and the Carrera S under 95k EUR. I also think that performance options like PDCC/PASM and Sport Chrono should be standard for both models.

You can easily spec a 991 Carrera S to 150k EUR and even more, this is just insane.

I paid 65k EUR for a brandnew 993 Targa over 15 years ago and yes, it was a special price because it was last year's model but still...the current prices for the 911 are just too high.

I think some people will have some very bad surprises when the 991 GT3 and 991 Turbo show up, I won't even talk about the Turbo S. enlightened Hopefully I'm wrong.

RC,

I believe you nailed it.  Porsche's pricing is getting out of control.  With so many options out there they may rethink the pricing again.

--
    Happy Driving

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 15/05/24 08:44
    art.italy
    805667 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 07/04/24 11:48
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449092 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 12/03/24 08:28
    DJM48
    266713 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 30/01/24 09:18
    RCA
    90291 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 15/03/24 13:23
    CGX car nut
    6941 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 01/02/24 19:01
    Pilot

886660 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 23/07/23 19:01
    Grant
    835356 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 21/04/24 11:50