Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Local dealer ad campaign - Brilliant or Annoying?

I think it's pretty innovative, but we'll see if it results in increased sales.

Toronto area Porsche dealership parks car near driveways of affluent homes in instant direct marketing

It’s a stunt that probably wouldn’t work for the station wagon.

Toronto ad agency Lowe Roche drove a 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera S from Pfaff Porsche around an affluent North Toronto neighbourhood, parked it in front of high-end homes, snapped a photo at each, processed the picture inside a van and, minutes later, dropped off a custom-ad that made it look as though the car was pulling out of the homeowner’s driveway. The aspirational postcard advertised at-home test drives with the tag line: “It’s closer than you think.”

Lowe Roche creative director Dave Douglass said the ad showed how far the dealership is “prepared to go to make their customers happy.”

And if you’re looking closely at the photos, that is not quite as far as the sidewalk, but a bit farther than the curb — all above-board, according to the agency’s legal department, but perhaps straddling the border between brilliant and creepy, according to experts surveyed by the Star.

It is difficult to get attention in a society of savvy consumers who are bombarded with advertising, but this apparently brought results: 32 per cent of the people who retrieved the postcard from the mailbox visited the website, according to Lowe Roche. The agency wouldn’t release the specific neighbourhoods targeted, but did demographic research to select them. Nobody called to complain.

http://goo.gl/W7Mh8

Re: Local dealer ad campaign - Brilliant or Annoying?

The advertising "stunt" caused no harm or invasion of privacy so good luck to them for their innovative campaign. I hope it bears fruit for them Smiley

--

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

... what a brilliant idea ..... hmmmm... I´m in the piano business ..... too much work to do the same  ... damn .... 

Cheers

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------

BMW X6 4.0d * Mini Cooper S Cabrio * 991 (02/2013)

Hmm interesting new approach and I can see how it can be successful due to the fact that it is quite unique and certainly gets the target person's attention. Part of me feels like something is creepy about it, but if you really think about it they do nothing more than a u-turn (depth into driveway) as is very common. It's clever photography that makes it look like the car is sitting in the driveway. Also, the picture is returned to the house owner and not publicized, apart from the sample hehe. You can after all see your house front in Google Street view anyways these days.

I could see doing the same thing with a Corvette in front of a mobile home park... Smiley

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

... or with a Mercedes in front of a nursing home angel

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------

BMW X6 4.0d * Mini Cooper S Cabrio * 991 (02/2013)

no

It is a truely sobering sight, especially when I consider buying another motorcycle someday, to see parking spaces in front of a nursing home that are marked as "Resident Parking Only". no heart mail

Gladstone:

It is a truely sobering sight, especially when I consider buying another motorcycle someday, to see parking spaces in front of a nursing home that are marked as "Resident Parking Only". no heart mail

That ties in well with my perception of the demographics of Harley riders.  Smiley

--

fritz

Glad I don't reside in a nursing home and have never ridden a Harley. That one could hurt!  wink

Gladstone:

Glad I don't reside in a nursing home and have never ridden a Harley. That one could hurt!  wink

Ask a 20 y.o. girl and they'd say the same about Porsche drivers. It's all about perspective. Smiley

Joe, I was just responding to Fritz in my attempt at good humor. I am also trying to do more reading and less writing, but you hit one of those key words 'perspective'.

From the perspective of a 16 year old girl that I know, well the 911 pretty much sucks. It's just too small.

How do you argue when someone who stands less that 5 feet tall and weighs less than 100 pounds, tells you that a car is just too small?

Her favorite vehicle is the mini-van. Seating for up to seven passengers and a great view from relatively high up in traffic. The next favorite vehicle is the Volkswagen Beetle (preferably in yellow with black racing stripes). Some of us may know the Transformers Movies with Bumble-Bee as a Camaro; but apparently in the original animated series Bumble-Bee was a Volkswagen.

If I were under 25, I would be getting that Volkswagen Beetle in yellow with black racing stripes because you know most of the females in the upper end of that age group are quite aware of the animated version of Transformers and they all love Bumble-Bee; and It is a lot cheaper than a Camaro; and Dad might shoot you if you show up with a mini-van.

Just my thoughts; but how in the real world did the world of animation put the VW at the top of the heap even amongst consumers who rode in and considered the Porsche to be just too small??

Yeah, I just meant that we all think that we're suave driving around in our 911s laughing at the old guys in the S-Classes, but there are people 20 years younger laughing at us "mid-life crisis" types. indecision

Gladstone:

Joe, I was just responding to Fritz in my attempt at good humor. I am also trying to do more reading and less writing, but you hit one of those key words 'perspective'.

From the perspective of a 16 year old girl that I know, well the 911 pretty much sucks. It's just too small.

How do you argue when someone who stands less that 5 feet tall and weighs less than 100 pounds, tells you that a car is just too small?

Her favorite vehicle is the mini-van. Seating for up to seven passengers and a great view from relatively high up in traffic. The next favorite vehicle is the Volkswagen Beetle (preferably in yellow with black racing stripes). Some of us may know the Transformers Movies with Bumble-Bee as a Camaro; but apparently in the original animated series Bumble-Bee was a Volkswagen.

If I were under 25, I would be getting that Volkswagen Beetle in yellow with black racing stripes because you know most of the females in the upper end of that age group are quite aware of the animated version of Transformers and they all love Bumble-Bee; and It is a lot cheaper than a Camaro; and Dad might shoot you if you show up with a mini-van.

Just my thoughts; but how in the real world did the world of animation put the VW at the top of the heap even amongst consumers who rode in and considered the Porsche to be just too small??

VW Beetle, 7 passengers, yellow with black markings, world of animation?  Smiley

I've got just what you need to improve your street cred with a certain 16-year old: BeetleMouse.jpg

--

fritz

Gladstone:

My 23 year old daughter believes only one Porsche is worthy of the badge. The Cayenne. 

--

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

dreamcar:
    Gladstone:

My 23 year old daughter believes only one Porsche is worthy of the badge. The Cayenne. 

What is the the younger generation coming to ......? Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    dreamcar:
    Gladstone:

I know. No hope for the future of the civilised world. Smiley

--

fritz:
    dreamcar:
    Gladstone:

We share the same concerns. Last year I was at a petrol station with my 72' 911 S and a twenty something couple started to look at the car and after I while I asked them if they liked it : they said yes and the next question from them was if you could connect the Ipod there. I told them I don`t have the radio in the car. I am afraid we are becoming vintage for the youngsters .Smiley

--

911 Club Coupe, 72' 911 Targa 2.4 S, 12' Audi S4 Avant

I would have been entirely too tempted to tell them that "It's funny you should ask, but yes they were so forward thinking in their engineering that they actually did include an Ipod connection even back in 1972!"  Smiley

Okay, perhaps it was originally intended to let you connect your portable cassette player to the car stereo. It may have had the ancient 30+mm headphone connection instead of the modern 14mm headphone connection; but don't we all have one of those 14 to 30 adapters, so that you can use modern headphones on old audio equipment,  laying around the house somewhere?  (Mine is now sitting on my desk so that I could get the measurements: it hasn't seen the light of day in decades) 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691078 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410189 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256238 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235422 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858840 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775134 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM