Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: My Panamera Turbo S is almost ready

John H:

Christian - I've waited for a while to ask this question whilst you acclimatise yourself with the car and get some mileage on the clock.  But I'd be interested to know if you've noticed any changes or improvements in PDK on your PTS compared with your previous Carrera GTS...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

I would love to compare both but I can't. The Carrera GTS having a n/a engine and the PTS a bi-turbo charged engine, comparing both, even PDK operation, is kind of difficult.

PDK works very well in the PTS, fast, accurate and almost perfect in auto mode. No jerky operation or whatever (like ALDO reported on his PT some while ago).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Did you experience any jerkiness with your GTS?  Some 997.2 PDK owners here indicated that they have and that the 991 appears to have eliminated it.  Personally, I haven't noticed any with my car.. hence my question...

Sorry for the temporary swerve to OT.... many thanks.

--

John H:

Did you experience any jerkiness with your GTS?  Some 997.2 PDK owners here indicated that they have and that the 991 appears to have eliminated it.  Personally, I haven't noticed any with my car.. hence my question...

Sorry for the temporary swerve to OT.... many thanks.

No problem. Smiley No, no jerkiness with the PDK on my GTS but there are a couple of Tis regarding PDK issues and a re-calibration/adjustment can just do the trick.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Thank you - I'm grateful for the information...wink

--

No jerkiness from my PDK John but I had to learn how to use it. For example, coasting up to a traffic light with no brake, there is a definite jerk from 2nd to 1st. However, if you time the braking right so they are being applied while the change occurs - smoothness achievedSmiley

Some bad news: Yesterday, when I wanted to drive with my family to a restaurant, the tire pressure monitoring system (oh I love it) showed a 0.6 bar pressure drop in the driver side rear tire. I couldn't see a thing, so I drove to the next fuel station and indeed, the tire pressure was 0.4 bar under the tire pressure of the other tires. So I rolled my PTS back and forth until I found the culprit: A thick metal pin was sticking out of the tire, unfortunately not in the tread pattern section but where there is no tread pattern, the weakest spot for such damage on a tire.

Since it was Saturday afternoon, I wasn't able to contact my dealer and/or any tire shop, which leaves the PTS in the garage this weekend, bummer.

Tomorrow (Monday), I need to get a new Pirelli PZero 295/35 ZR 20 105Y N0 tire and I don't have a clue where I can find it. The first choice would be my dealer but the guy responsible for acquiring parts, messed up things twice lately, when I ordered a black Panamera Turbo S lettering for the rear two(!) weeks ago and two Porsche trolleys last Monday and none of these items, despite his(parts guy) assurances, showed up yet. Dammit.

There are a couple of online shops for tires available in Germany and some even the tire in stock but it takes them 1-3 days to deliver (no express service, which is quite idiotic because tires are usually needed urgently) and I need the tire latest Tuesday 12 pm for various reasons.

So tomorrow will be a very "interesting" (in a very negative sense) day for me because I need to find that tire somewhere and I have to pick it up personally to make sure I get it in time. I'm already looking forward (not really) to drive to Zuffenhausen (Porsche should have the tire available...somewhere broken heart), a 5 hour drive (both ways) because I can't drive too fast because of the punctured tire. Or I just pick it up with my other car but it would save me a lot of time if they could already mount it at the spot.

I just realized that this is one of the weakest points of the whole Porsche (and other manufacturers too) service chain in Germany: Tire availability and emergency mounting. There is a 24h/7 days a week service in Munich, they charge an additional 150 EUR for this service but not surprising at all, they don't have this particular tire in stock.

Somehow I get the feeling that tomorrow and Tuesday will be very exciting days for me, I already switched to battle/achievement mode.  

--

Sorry to hear that heart Does not Porsche road assistance cover that?

When my battery blew up I called the hotline and one hour later a guy showed up with a new battery.

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

bluelines:

Sorry to hear that heart Does not Porsche road assistance cover that?

When my battery blew up I called the hotline and one hour later a guy showed up with a new battery.

Sunday...very special tire type and size... Smiley

I will take care of it tomorrow (Monday) but I'm afraid it won't be easy. There are at least one dozen official Porsche centers around my hometown in a 160 km radius but this also means I have to drive there and get the tire because I don't trust my parts guy to get it in time for me. Bummer. Smiley

--

I would not drive anywhere, I would call them and have it delivered to your home, at your convenience, for free  Assuming it does cover tire punctures, but the manual should state the service level agreement.

--

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

bluelines:

I would not drive anywhere, I would call them and have it delivered to your home, at your convenience, for free  Assuming it does cover tire punctures, but the manual should state the service level agreement.

Porsche road assistance would haul my car to the next Porsche center, which wouldn't help me with anything since this would be my dealer. Smiley

They do not deliver parts directly to customers.

So the only way I can be 100% sure to get the tire in time, is to take care of this myself. Smiley

--

RC:

I guess I was only dreaming then, when I got the battery delivered to my home Smiley

I must say I was very impressed by the road assistance service. One call to the hotline on a Saturday afternoon, they already had all the car details in their register, my address, etc. One hour later it rang on the doorbell and a guy from a private garage (not Porsche) exchanged the battery. I did not have to pay for the delivery or the installation, only for the battery. They even called back later to check that the problem was solved and I was happy with their service. Two thumbs up! SmileySmiley

--

RC:

Since it was Saturday afternoon, I wasn't able to contact my dealer and/or any tire shop, which leaves the PTS in the garage this weekend, bummer.

Bummer indeed Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

RC:
    bluelines:

Porsche road assistance would haul my car to the next Porsche center, which wouldn't help me with anything since this would be my dealer. Smiley

So the only way I can be 100% sure to get the tire in time, is to take care of this myself. Smiley

@RC:  Have you actually called the Road Assistance hotline? You won't be the first Porsche driver to have tyre fail on the weekend, so I wouldn't be surprised if they might not have some hot tips on the best place to find a "rare" tyre for a Porsche first thing on Monday morning, so that they can get you mobile again quickly.  Smiley

--

fritz

Sorry to hear that, RC. Actually RDK is the only option I really miss in my Cayenne, wish I had it!

--

1987 911 Carrera 3.2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel - 2010 Abarth 500 - 1995 BMW318ti

Mikla:

Sorry to hear that, RC. Actually RDK is the only option I really miss in my Cayenne, wish I had it!

Smiley

Have recently experienced the second slow puncture in a rear wheel of a 4WD (VW Tiguan) and been surprised how low the pressure can fall before it really becomes noticeable through the steering wheel. RDK (TPMS) could potentially be a lifesaver  -  quite literally. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    Mikla:

Smiley

Have recently experienced the second slow puncture in a rear wheel of a 4WD (VW Tiguan) and been surprised how low the pressure can fall before it really becomes noticeable through the steering wheel. RDK (TPMS) could potentially be a lifesaver  -  quite literally. 

SmileySmiley

I think I mentioned it before here, I had a slow puncture in my 997S and would not have noticed it save for the PDK warning me, even under visual inspection it was not noticeable at all, due to the hard carcass low profile tires I guess, so I double checked it with a manual gauge and it was true, the PDK was spot on. And I was coming out of the garage about to embark on a 200 mile round trip at high highway speeds, so probably would of gotten stranded midway or worse, if the PDK did not warn me. I will never get a car without it.

--

A tire pressure monitor is a life saver. I wouldn't have noticed the punctured tire, the Panamera tires have 3.0 bar in front/rear and a 0.4 bar loss isn't much in that pressure range, you can't actually see it (I really looked).

Regarding Porsche Assistance: Yes, I called them. They referred me to my local Porsche dealer since the car is at my home address. There is nothing they could have done for me, today is Sunday and they only could have transported my car to the local Porsche dealer and maybe get me a loaner. Well... 

Don't worry, guys. I will get a tire tomorrow or latest Tuesday...even if this means I have to pick it up in Zuffenhausen personally. 

--

bluelines:
    I guess I was only dreaming then, when I got the battery delivered to my home Smiley

I must say I was very impressed by the road assistance service. One call to the hotline on a Saturday afternoon, they already had all the car details in their register, my address, etc. One hour later it rang on the doorbell and a guy from a private garage (not Porsche) exchanged the battery. I did not have to pay for the delivery or the installation, only for the battery. They even called back later to check that the problem was solved and I was happy with their service. Two thumbs up! SmileySmiley

You weren't dreaming but they delivered a generic item, not  a specific part. This would have taken them much longer because there is no Porsche dealer open on Sundays (at least not in Germany).

You were lucky. Smiley

I even called the emergency service (24h/7days) of two Porsche dealers and they only offered to order the tire or check with their parts department on...Monday. They didn't even have access to their parts inventory, all they could have done is to organize a transport and maybe a loaner but for their customers only. Oh well. Smiley

--

Yes, to be fair, it is a generic battery and does not have a Porsche sticker on it indecision But it is still impressive since it took only one hour on a weekend to deliver and install after the call.

I am sure one of the Porsche dealers or the Pirelli distributor in Germany can help you tomorrow morning. It is the standard Panamera 20" rear tire dimension so should be straightforward. Or you have to sneak out in the neighbourhood this night with a set of spanners for a self help solution indecision

--

bluelines:

Or you have to sneak out in the neighbourhood this night with a set of spanners for a self help solution indecision

This is what actually sometimes happens in reality....Smiley
    Good to know that my rear tire does not fit, otherwise I would keep the garage closed tonight Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

HA! Same thing happened to me last Monday in southern France:

No way to find a tyre there, so I got it repaired. Drove back to CH yesterday, all good. Getting 2 new rear tyres tomorrow. (Sorry for the slight thread-hijacking)

pierre:

No way to find a tyre there, so I got it repaired. Drove back to CH yesterday, all good. Getting 2 new rear tyres tomorrow. (Sorry for the slight thread-hijacking)

At least your tyres look as if they were almost due for replacement anyway. 

Come to think of it, with your mileage figures buying new tyres is almost a monthly event for you, isn't it? Smiley

--

fritz

pierre:

Don't worry, you didn't hijack anything, I'm sorry to see your misfortune, I really feel with you (especially when it happens in a different country).

Surprise, surprise: My dealer has the PZero for my car available and I get it mounted this afternoon. 

I was already thinking about getting the Michelin Super Sport for all four wheels but guess what, I tried even a source which has a direct contact to Michelin and the N0 version of the tire in the right sizes isn't available yet. Smiley

--

Glad to hear your problem seems to be solved!
    --
    Kind regards, Conny 

Conny997:
    Glad to hear your problem seems to be solved!

Thanks. I didn't sleep much last night, already fantasizing about having to drive to Zuffenhausen and beg for a tire... Smiley

--

All's well that ends well!  kiss

TPMS is an absolute 'must have' option IMHO on all vehicles, spare tyres or not.... early warning is a definite potential life-saver!

--

John H:

TPMS is an absolute 'must have' option IMHO on all vehicles, spare tyres or not.... early warning is a definite potential life-saver!

Absolutely agree John, we specified it from new on our 2006 Boxster S and 2010 Cayman S PDK. Our pre-owned 997/2 doesn't have it and I really miss it. Every time I go on a long journey I now manually check the pressures with a trusty gauge, but that doesn't help if you pick up a nail en route somewhere.

One thing the Americans got right Smiley  - I believe it is mandatory in the US. Cars with run flat tyres have to have it even here in the UK, but BMW use a cheaper system that detects low pressure by comparing rotational speed of the wheels (flat tyre = reduced diameter so the affected wheel speed increases compared with the other wheels).

Sorry to hear about your tyre RC, last thing you need! Smiley

--

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

I am also a big fan of the TMPS. I always found difficult to comprehend why Porsche was charging for this instead of having it part of standard equipment. How can you sell a car that drives 300 Km/h without it?

Apparently from November 2012 all new cars in the EU shall have the TPMS standard .

--

911 Club Coupe, 72' 911 Targa 2.4 S, 12' Audi S4 Avant

m4ever:

I always found difficult to comprehend why Porsche was charging for this instead of having it part of standard equipment.

..they will charge it as long as possible. Keep in mind tehy earn money with selling cars and extras  Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

driving a car without TPMS gives me a headache....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804564 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448922 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266621 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90263 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6890 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886372 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835063 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM